PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good sign?

MsGneiss
09-17-2009, 08:43 PM
On September 1st, two editors who were considering my manuscript checked in with my agent and told her that they'd get back to us "within a week or so." It's been more than a week, obviously. Is this a good sign? Or a bad sign? Or no sign at all?

If an editor decides that they like it, are they likely to check in with the agent and let her know that they are running the manuscript through marketing? 'Cause, that's my happy-thinking reason for why they are taking longer... although, my realistic-life-sucks reason is that they are just busy, like everyone else. Thoughts?

James M M Baldwin
09-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Did they check in with your agent, or did your agent check in with them? If she checked with them and they said they'd get back, there's not enough information to make a judgement. However, if they checked in with your agent, that's a very good sign. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

MsGneiss
09-17-2009, 08:54 PM
The email from my agent on Sept 1 said "Kensington and Sourcebooks checked in and said they'd get back to us within a week or so." Direct quote. But, I think they were referring to reading it within a week or so. There was no mention of liking it, or marketing people, or anything of the sort. Appreciate the positive note, ed. No worries about raising my hopes only to have them shattered by a publisher, though... :)

scope
09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
sleep,

Don't be all that concerned, it's too early. You know that editors are swamped and "or so" could mean a month or more [I hope not]. Also, we had the Labor Day holiday period, and who knows how long they were away from their offices. Maybe in a week or so you should nudge your agent about gently checking in with Kensington and Sourcebooks.

I wish you well.

MsGneiss
09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Thank you, scope. :)

James D. Macdonald
09-17-2009, 09:28 PM
It's out of your hands.

Write a new book.

MsGneiss
09-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Maybe in the next upgrade, we can have a section called "Worrying about current book while writing a new one." That'd be the place for me.

scope
09-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Maybe in the next upgrade, we can have a section called "Worrying about current book while writing a new one." That'd be the place for me.

And a whole lot of other writers, including me. We better check to make sure there's room left in that section!

ChaosTitan
09-17-2009, 10:10 PM

I thought that's what The Next Circle of Hell was for. ;)

A 'week or so' in publishing land isn't like a week in real time. A lot of different people have to say yes before an offer can be made. Patience, grasshopper.

MsGneiss
09-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Thank you. I am curious whether the editor is likely to tell the agent that they are waiting for the "lot of different people," or whether they'll hold off contact until they have either a rejection or an offer?

ChaosTitan
09-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure. It may vary by agent/editor. If an editor is interested, it's probably understood by the agent that the book has to be run by other folks.

I've seen folks here on AW say they got encouraging news from an editor (via their agent) only to have no offer made because it couldn't get past the acquisition board. Other folks, like me, had no idea what was happening at any stage after submission until rejections/offers were made.

Waiting and wondering sucks.

MsGneiss
09-25-2009, 02:17 AM
I am sorry to bump this thread, and I really have nothing more to contribute other than - I am going NUTS! Still no news. I keep re-reading the email from Sept 1st where my agent says that they will get back to us "within a week or so." Should I email her? I don't want to be a nag. She's always really prompt with getting any news to me. Ugh. I think I'll wait until the middle of next week, because Monday is a holiday.

So... this is just a rant, really. Emotional support and words of encouragement are thoroughly appreciated.

P.S. I am writing another book, and editing a third. So, uh, yea.

scope
09-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Glad you are writing another book even while in "submission hell." I don't think there's anything wrong in sending a brief, polite (I know you are), email next week as you plan to do -- I would, for whatever that's worth.

icerose
09-25-2009, 03:38 AM
I do the same thing any time anything is happening. Like right now I'm in a contest. Some of the people have already gotten their scores on their entries and feedback. I have not.

So my brain is screaming possibilities at me.

1. It sucked so bad they aren't bothering with mine till they get all the good ones notified.

2. I'm borderline and they're reserving my entry in case they find someone better than me to take the semi-final spot.

3. I made it but they're waiting to notify those who actually made it to round two.

Realistically they probably simply haven't even gotten to my entry but my brain can't help itself.

MsGneiss
09-25-2009, 04:19 AM
I do the same thing any time anything is happening. Like right now I'm in a contest. Some of the people have already gotten their scores on their entries and feedback. I have not.

So my brain is screaming possibilities at me.

1. It sucked so bad they aren't bothering with mine till they get all the good ones notified.

2. I'm borderline and they're reserving my entry in case they find someone better than me to take the semi-final spot.

3. I made it but they're waiting to notify those who actually made it to round two.

Realistically they probably simply even gotten to my entry but my brain can't help itself.

Oh boy, do I know what you mean. I am reliving the waiting for college acceptance letter all over, only a thousand times worse, because refreshing my email inbox is so much more full of fail than sitting outside my mom's house waiting for the postman. Or maybe not. Sigh!

blacbird
09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
The only "good sign" I can imagine is a check that doesn't bounce.

caw

swvaughn
09-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I am sorry to bump this thread, and I really have nothing more to contribute other than - I am going NUTS! Still no news. I keep re-reading the email from Sept 1st where my agent says that they will get back to us "within a week or so." Should I email her? I don't want to be a nag. She's always really prompt with getting any news to me. Ugh. I think I'll wait until the middle of next week, because Monday is a holiday.

So... this is just a rant, really. Emotional support and words of encouragement are thoroughly appreciated.

P.S. I am writing another book, and editing a third. So, uh, yea.

The waiting, it is so very not fun.

I've been on submission twice so far. The first time the book never sold (this is NOT typical - it was because the novel didn't really fit into a genre and that kind of thing doesn't go over too well for unknown writers).

The second time we had eventual interest from an editor, and then a month went by after the initial response, and then two months, and then... there was an offer. So it could definitely happen.

And may I just say - though I still feel it's the best thing to do, writing another book while being on submission SO DID NOT HELP ME in the slightest to get over the anxiety. :P

Maybe try setting aside a little time in your day to rant about the frustration (not to your agent, of course :D) so you can better concentrate on writing the next book after letting yourself vent. :)

Red-Green
09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I thought that's what The Next Circle of Hell was for. ;)

A 'week or so' in publishing land isn't like a week in real time. A lot of different people have to say yes before an offer can be made. Patience, grasshopper.

That's exactly what Next Circle and Purgatory are for. That's all we do is twiddle our thumbs and refresh our inboxes. *sigh*

I'm in the same boat Sleep. Back at the beginning of Sept., agent got an email from Mr. Big Time Editor saying he wanted to set up a time to discuss the book. Then there was a massive shake-up at Mr. BTE's imprint. (He still has a job, but quite a few folks don't.) Then it was Labor Day. And now here I sit, thinking, Is he still interested and is just really busy? Or did he decide he just wasn't that interested? It's hard to be zen, even when you *know* editor time works differently and you can't do anything about it.

Irysangel
09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Why don't you email your agent a quick note? Following up after 3 weeks is certainly not pesky.

TrixieLox
09-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Time works soooo differently in the world of publishing. It's like this...

'A week or so' = 3-4 weeks
Tomorrow = next week
'Try to' or 'hope to' (eg. 'I hope to read this over the weekend') = the thought's there but it probably won't happen like that
'Your book is on my list to look at this week' = it's on the list but it sure don't mean it'll be looked at
An agent or editor's day = what feels like a week for you

All we can do is work on another book... and that there is a whole other story cos how the hell can you when you're checking email every 2 mins, arghhhhhhhh!

icerose
09-26-2009, 01:01 AM
I just entered your circle, Sleep. Got a full request and now I'm going to drive myself crazy for the next few months while I wait. They said it could take up to 12 weeks! If you find a secret on how to handle the wait, let me know!

MichStephens
09-26-2009, 01:05 AM
No news is good news?

:) I'm sure everything will turn out fine. Good luck!