PDA

View Full Version : Title pages with submission samples

kaitie
09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone. Yes, I'm a newb. I ask newbie questions. Please forgive. *bows in advance*

Alright, I've got some awesome formatting guidelines that say that when you send samples and partials to agents, you include a title page. This makes perfect sense if I'm sending 50 pages, but does the same rule apply if I'm sending five? It strikes me as kind of silly to send one with only a few pages included, but obviously I want to make sure I'm doing what's expected.

What's the rule on this?

Ken
09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
... 5 pages of text, w/o a title page, is what they want. And for many agents you wouldn't even be able to include a title pg even if you wanted, as they ask for the text to be inserted in the body of the email. G'luck. *returns bow*

kaitie
09-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I was thinking snail mail submissions obviously lol. E-mail is it's own kind of monster. ;) Thanks for the advice. I suspected as much.

Mumut
09-17-2009, 03:08 PM
In many cases the agent/publisher will advise exactly what to send. But without that, Ken's got it right.

Phaeal
09-17-2009, 06:09 PM
The important thing is that your name, address, phone number, and email address is attached to the MS. A title page takes care of this. So does the short story format of your contact info appearing at the top of the first page.

Actually, when I'm sending a query with a few pages, I let my cover letter serve as contact info purveyor. (Of course, my last name is in the header on the pages, so that identifier remains constant, no matter what else I send.) With partials or fulls, I usually send the title page along, in case the larger MS gets separated from the cover letter as it's being laboriously toted around.