PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Contest with $300 Prize and No Fee to Enter!

snagel
09-17-2009, 02:19 AM
SPS Studios

Announces Its Fourteenth Biannual Poetry Card Contest
Deadline: June 30th, 2009
1st prize: $300 * 2nd prize: $150 * 3rd prize: $50

In addition, the winning poems will be displayed on our website sps.com (http://www.sps.com/).
Poetry Contest Guidelines:

Poems can be rhyming or non-rhyming, although we find that non-rhyming poetry reads better.
We suggest that you write about real emotions and feelings and that you have some special person or occasion in mind as you write.
Poems are judged on the basis of originality and uniqueness.
English-language entries only, please.
Enter as often as you like!
Poetry Contest Rules

All entries must be the original creation of the submitting author. All rights to the entries must be owned by the author and shall remain the property of the author. The author gives permission to SPS Studios, Inc. to publish and display the entry on the Web (in electronic form only) if the entry is selected as a winner or finalist. Winners will be contacted within 45 days of the deadline date. Contest is open to everyone except employees of SPS Studios and their families. Void where prohibited.
How to Submit

Go to http://www.sps.com/poetry/index.html (http://www.sps.com/poetry/index.html) to complete the contest form, or if you prefer, you may send your submission via snail mail* (javascript:snailMail()) to:
SPS Studios Poetry Card Contest,
P.O. Box 1007, Dept. E,
Boulder, CO 80306.

DarkDesireX
09-17-2009, 08:51 PM
This deadline is very much passed, dear.

stormie
09-17-2009, 09:22 PM
If you click on the link, it takes you to the site where the deadline reads "December 31, 2009."

Lavern08
09-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I submitted 2 poems back in July...

...Best wishes everyone! ;)

CammyMayHunny
09-18-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm not sure the deadline makes much difference.
I see in another recent thread they are soliciting submissions, pay $300. In other words, aren't they ALWAYS running a no-fee contest with publication and $300 prize?

Priene
09-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Poems can be rhyming or non-rhyming, although we find that non-rhyming poetry reads better.

Sounds to me like you've already decided rhyming poetry isn't going to win. Why not ban it outright?

Edit: The more I think about this, the more outraged I get. You've got a competition where the rules dictate that all entries will not treated equally. Rule 1 directly contradicts Rule 3. It's hypocritical and intellectually dishonest.

dgiharris
09-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Sounds to me like you've already decided rhyming poetry isn't going to win. Why not ban it outright?

Edit: The more I think about this, the more outraged I get. You've got a competition where the rules dictate that all entries will not treated equally. Rule 1 directly contradicts Rule 3. It's hypocritical and intellectually dishonest.

Well, they have just stated their preference. funny how they state it as a sorta fact, "We find the non-rhyming poems read better..."

Personally, I'm the exact opposite. To me, poems that rhyme are more preferable. I'm finding that poems that do not rhyme tend to be glorified prose at best and horrible disjointed thoughts at worst. As if, merely writing the thoughts of the moment constitutes poetry. But to each their own.

Not to say that there isn't outstanding non-rhyming poetry, there is. But to me, non-rhyming poetry tends to have a certain laziness to it. As if the writer couldn't be bothered to find the perfect words, but rather, whatever words they happen to snatch out of the air at the moment.

And rhythm and cadence? What's that? Big deal. Marvel at the genius of my unstructured rambling stream-of-consciousness prose :D

Mel...

KTC
09-20-2009, 12:01 AM
let's not bash poetry types, shall we. how little are we?

dgiharris
09-21-2009, 04:03 AM
let's not bash poetry types, shall we. how little are we?

Sorry,

my cackles are all cackling since I 'am' a rhyming poet.

Mel...

KTC
09-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Sorry,

my cackles are all cackling since I 'am' a rhyming poet.

Mel...

then you would understand how us non--rhyming poets would feel. i say to each his/her own style.

dgiharris
09-21-2009, 10:18 AM
then you would understand how us non--rhyming poets would feel. i say to each his/her own style.

Fair enough, my apologies. Though I did say that there is some good non-rhyming poetry :)

Mel...

KTC
09-21-2009, 01:22 PM
You're right. You did. It's a bonehead statement in the guidelines. One that questions the authenticity of the judging. I wouldn't enter. I'm on the same page, there. Sorry for being so testy...I was probably having a bad day.

K

VeggieChick
09-22-2009, 06:23 AM
The company (Blue Mountain Arts) is not only a big one, but also a well-established one. I sold a book to them. They pay nice advances and they're extremely professional to deal with. I wouldn't doubt the poetry contest.

KTC
09-22-2009, 06:24 AM
The company (Blue Mountain Arts) is not only a big one, but also a well-established one. I sold a book to them. They pay nice advances and they're extremely professional to deal with. I wouldn't doubt the poetry contest.

I don't think anybody is doubting it. They have a great reputation. The guidelines for this contest are just insulting.

Lavern08
09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Guess what?

The 2 poems I entered both rhymed... :D

...Film at eleven! ;)

CammyMayHunny
09-22-2009, 08:40 PM
The very fact that there is somebody out there who will pay $300 for a poem says to me that we should bow in their direction and spread their path with petals.

I personally find the idea that rhyming poetry is in some way old-fashioned or uncool, much less less readable silly.

BUT, it's their submissions guildelines!!!! They are telling you what they will pay for. Writers (any producer, really) learns that you can't really quibble with a market: you give it what it wants or you look for another market. Personally, I would have worded it more like "We prefer..." but I'd say it's pretty thin-skinned to be insulted by submissions guidelines.

TooJoyful00
09-23-2009, 03:52 AM
I don't think anybody is doubting it. They have a great reputation. The guidelines for this contest are just insulting.

I agree...

SirOtter
09-23-2009, 07:42 AM
I take it they're also biased against light verse, since they're all eat up to only get poems about 'real emotions and feelings'. That sort of rules out submitting my multi-volume epic 'Synthesizing Sincerity'. I plan on writing a stern letter to my congressman about the paucity of well-paying venues for light verse.

Priene
09-23-2009, 04:06 PM
BUT, it's their submissions guildelines!!!! They are telling you what they will pay for. Writers (any producer, really) learns that you can't really quibble with a market: you give it what it wants or you look for another market. Personally, I would have worded it more like "We prefer..." but I'd say it's pretty thin-skinned to be insulted by submissions guidelines.

Sure, they're guidelines. Doesn't mean they can't be stupid or insulting, though. They could have made this a free-form competition. That wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But they're soliciting rhyming poetry while implying it's not going to win, and having a little dig at the form ('we find that non-rhyming poetry reads better') while they're at it. That's plain ridiculous, and I see no reason why I shouldn't say so.