PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant/Bar Research

havefaith22
09-16-2009, 09:17 PM
How do you guys research real life restaurants/bars/hotels, etc. in other locations? Do you call up the place and ask "So, can you tell me what color tile is in your ladies room and how many stalls?" :)

I have a couple scenes that take place in real life places and want my details spot on. Unfortunately, the ladies room isn't shown on their website *sigh* TIA!

Sarpedon
09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
So bring a date and go there, and ask her what color the tile is.

But do not ask her whether the carpet matches the drapes.

havefaith22
09-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Ha! I'd love to visit, but my story takes place in North Carolina and I live in NY. Anyone ever been to Barbary Coast in Wilmington?

stephenf
09-16-2009, 10:10 PM
If you know there address/e-mail , you could explain what you want .If your lucky, you might get a reply.

RJK
09-16-2009, 10:14 PM
They have a facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/people/Barbary-Coast/1462819103?_fb_noscript=1) go there and ask them what you need to know.

StephanieFox
09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
I usually call them and say something like, "Hi. My name is Stephanie Fox and I'm writing an article for Blah-Blah Magazine. I have a weird question. The ladies' room off your bar what color is the time and how many stalls does it have? Sure, I'll wait....

Yeah, I know it was a weird question, but I really appreciate your help. That's all I need. You have a nice day, now. Goodbye!"

Does that help?

GeorgeK
09-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Places get renovated. Restaraunts go under all the time. (usually because of retarded owners, but that's another rant) It takes a few years for a story to get published. I can't imagine there being a significant backlash of people claiming, "Well, in 1978 Studio 69 had muave tiles, not grey!"

havefaith22
09-16-2009, 10:47 PM
LOL True! Places do get renovated... Maybe I will just pick up the phone and call. It couldn't hurt any.

PeterL
09-16-2009, 11:36 PM
I agree with GeorgeK. I'd just wing it on something like that. If I'm wrong now, it might have been right twenty years ago. Even more important, who cares? The color of the tile in the ladies' room is of no consequence to a story, unless the story is about retiling the ladies' room.