PDA

View Full Version : Break all the pens

Mia Moore
09-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I just received a rejection on a full that I'd been revising for a potential agent (a big dog, too.)
May I just say - OUCH
I really thought it was a good sign, that I was on my way with this thing already.
Hate to sound like Miss Sara Sourpants but...a revision request, pre-signing, does NOT always equal a positive result. I just wish I'd kept my hopes in check.
So - how many times did you guys quit writing after one of these near death experiences?
Once I can breathe again I am breaking all the pens in my house - the pencils too while I'm at it. Pity the poor laptop...Oh the carnage!

alias octavia
09-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I've had this happen to me too, in fact just a few months ago. It stings, certainly, but it is a good lesson. For me, I tried to focus on the positive - I made revisions that made my work stronger. It is sad when this situation doesn't produce a relationship with an agent, but maybe it will help you get to that next step with someone else. Take a day to mourn the R and move on. Send out some new queries. Have some chocolate.

IHeartWriting
09-16-2009, 09:13 PM
I'll second everything Octavia said.

Mourn then move on.

the addster
09-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Gee, this must be near miss day or something.

I'm sorry.

AKA Octavia gives good advice above. Mourn it and move on.

Red-Green
09-16-2009, 09:53 PM
I never got asked for an R & R. Just a mountain of form rejections. So...yeah, Octavia's right. You've received something of value from this experience, even if it did have a crappy ending. Sorry.

ABKN
09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
I find that ice cream heals these hurts.

Mia Moore
09-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks all. In the world of suckitude this day ranks as numero uno.

PS - Do they make alcoholic ice cream yet?

Tasmin21
09-17-2009, 12:52 AM
There's a place near me that does alcoholic milkshakes, does that count?

KTC
09-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Sorry to hear the news, Mia. Been there. I feel for you. Keep on trucking. That's what I'm trying to do.

Good luck with the next agent!

Mia Moore
09-17-2009, 02:11 AM
Tasmin...About now I'd drink the damn stuff out of the toilet bowl. Seems to make the dog pretty happy.

I'm sorry that so many of us have to go through this, (KTC, Octavia...) Getting back on that horse, after having been thrown off violently is gonna be a trick, though. Think I'll dial down the ole expectations, slip on the sweats, turn up the country music (somebody in those songs is always way worse off than me) and suck down a Dove bar dunked in kahlua - solves all - ya got your chocolate, your ice cream, and your booze. Perfect plan, huh?
(sigh) Damn. I wanted this too much.

Laura Lond
09-18-2009, 07:05 AM
I have only been asked for revisions once, and I chose not to do it, so I have not experienced what you are going through - but I certainly can imagine what it would be like. I have had several "so close but not quite" experiences, and they do sting. All I can say is HANG ON!! There are probably still more agents out there you have not queried.

Mia Moore
09-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks, Laura. I'm hanging. The worst part for me aside from being so close, I mean, soooo close I could smell the fresh ink on that contract, is that now I'm questioning my abilities again. Ya know? The old self-confidence sabotage trap.
I guess I shouldn't have put all my eggs in one basket. The minute she showed interest, I stopped with any other queries and such.
Well, it's been a lesson in what not to do.
I'm back to the drawing board. Sent out two queries last night. It's all good - I guess...:Shrug: