Clearing up your Christmas list with your latest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Taking off on Popmuze's thread,

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155199

about selling or giving away books to relatives, how narcissistic, cheap, or just plain lazy, would it be to clear up your Christmas list by giving your relatives copies of an anthology you are included in?

I've really thought about doing this. Most of my friends and relations could really give a damn about this book, and probably would never buy it, but would probably feel like they had to keep the silly thing around just because I contributed to it. It just kind of feels like giving someone a picture of yourself.

What do you all think?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my friends and relations could really give a damn about this book, and probably would never buy it, but would probably feel like they had to keep the silly thing around just because I contributed to it. It just kind of feels like giving someone a picture of yourself.

What do you all think?

There is your answer. If the typical reaction would be: oh, a new doorstop; why would you bother? IMO the only people who like receiving pictures of you for a gift giving occasion are your parents and grandparents. And they would probably be the only ones to appreciate a copy of the book.

MM

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
It is poor form to give a gift that does not give pleasure to the recipient. It is good form to give a gift that does. My mother loves to get pictures of my girls as gifts and she's hard to buy for otherwise. She's the only person to whom I would give one (nicely framed) as a gift.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Did I mention that my dear sister always gives me Jesus books in an attempt to convert me, and my mother gave me purple corduroy pants last year?

I'm not kidding. I don't care if they like it or not. if I don't give them this, they are getting gift cards.

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Did I mention that my dear sister always gives me Jesus books in an attempt to convert me, and my mother gave me purple corduroy pants last year?

I'm not kidding. I don't care if they like it or not. if I don't give them this, they are getting gift cards.

Purple corduroy pants merit something more creatively evil than a copy of your book. I'm not sure what the Jesus books merit. Moving without a forwarding address?

Last edited:

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Purple corduroy pants merit something more creatively evil than a copy of your book. I'm not sure what the just books merit. Moving without a forwarding address?

Don't think I haven't thought about moving.

Actually my mother is just dying to read this thing. I've only mentioned it in passing, but she's convinced that's it's about her. It isn't. I've thought about just making her buy a copy to find out.

Yes, our relationship is um...unique.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos Add. Actually, my brother and sister-in-law did just this when they were included in a book of love letters. I think I may have read the section. And I still have the book.
When I give (or sell) people my books, I always say, "You don't have to read it, just display it prominently in your home, preferably in a high traffic area."
For some reason, I don't get invited to many places anymore.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Thanks for the kudos Add. Actually, my brother and sister-in-law did just this when they were included in a book of love letters. I think I may have read the section. And I still have the book.
When I give (or sell) people my books, I always say, "You don't have to read it, just display it prominently in your home, preferably in a high traffic area."
For some reason, I don't get invited to many places anymore.

Hmmm...I'm leaning toward gifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.