Selling books to relatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
So I've finally gotten my new book in my hands. My publisher recently sent me a box of twenty.
I'm going to a cousin's birthday party in a couple of weeks, lots of my relatives will be there. The question is, how tacky would it be for me to show up with a bunch of books and try to get some of my relatives to buy one for a change?
My wife feels I should give my friends and relatives free copies. But I feel, if your own friends and relatives won't buy your book--who will?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't take a box of books to a party with any notion of dispersing them. If someone wants one, they'll ask. At that point just give/send them one. It wouldn't sit right with me to sell them to friends or family. But bear in mind that I got an extra helping of the generosity gene.

Do you have a website? Set up a competition and give a few of the spares away as prizes.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with relatives selling books, but lots of other stuff (Amway, Herbalife, Tupperware, etc). My take: it would very tacky. But I also disagree with your wife. I don't think you need to give free copies to any relative (except maybe your parents). I think the trap there is: you have 20 copies, how do you choose amongst family and friends to disperse them? Those who get them may or may not be appreciative, those who don't might feel slighted. If they want the book, let them buy it. I have several close friends who have published, I have never requested or expected a free copy. As soon as the book has been available for advance purchase, I get myself down to Borders and order it.

YMMV

Your book is on my Christmas wish list ;)

MM

Tallent

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Man, you don't like your relatives much do you.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ugh, I say no.

I also don't sell to relatives. If they want one, I give them a free, signed copy. I think "selling" to your relatives, especially at a party, is tacky. Sorry, just being honest. Unless, of course, they ask you to. Then it's free market for all.

foreverstamp

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
DO NOT SELL TO FAMILY! oh that is so tacky! sorry, but if my brother or sister told me they wrote a book and asked me to buy it, the first thing I'd assume is that the books were self-published. and the next thing I'd do is kick them in the shins. also dont give them away as gifts for special occasions...like birthdays, christmas...etc. equally tacky. just sign it, write a nice note to your sister, brother...etc. and give it to them for no reason.

cousins.... I dont know... Dont try to sell it to them, but if they want one tell them what store they can get it at.

I dont like my cousins :)-

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I would have no qualms about making my friends and family hand over money when I get published.

Full. Cover. Price. :D

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I would have no qualms about making my friends and family hand over money when I get published.

Full. Cover. Price. :D

A man after my own heart. And a personalized signature costs extra (it commands more when they sell it a week later on ebay).

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
The family members I care about and who care for me would go out and buy a copy in the store just so they could say that they had bought my book at a real store. And they'd show it off to friends.

The family members who don't care enough to do that, I would neither ask to buy a copy nor give them one for free.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'd never try to sell my author copies (when they show up). Besides the fact that I'm pretty sure my contract says I can't, I'd much rather use them for giveaways, contests, and to send out to reviewers.

My parents, my grandparents, and my sister will get free copies. Everyone else gets to buy them. :D

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I go out and buy my nephew's books at a real-live bookstore. That way, he gets credit for the sales.

Don't sell your relatives the books the publisher sent you. Make 'em buy the book from a vendor, so you get the creds.

Good relatives, like me, will do this without you asking. Well, the ones in the business, anyhow. ;)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Good point, my birthday is next month. (Shall I PM you my mailing address? J/K) :D

MM

All my available books are on reserve for my relatives. But Amazon is already selling used copies of my book for half the cover price.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Don't sell your relatives the books the publisher sent you. Make 'em buy the book from a vendor, so you get the creds.

I may not get the credit, but I get the full $20 when I sell one of my own copies.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Why not get them in your corner by offering a free copy and a sack of promo items for those who are interested in helping you promote the book? "My publisher sent me a stack of promotional copies" sounds so much cooler than "Please, Cousin Jo, by my book please!"

Nicole

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I hate it when my wife is right.

She's not.

Well, maybe she is.

It probably depends on the family.

For me -- My parents are divorced, and both re-married. My mother has six siblings, I have 40-odd cousins on that side alone. Four cousins on my Dad's side, etc.

Then there are my in-laws, and my wife's family.

I think the key question has to be -- Where does the line get drawn?

My Mom and her husband get a copy. My Dad and his wife. My in-laws. Beyond that, though...

The nice thing is, most of my family members see buying my books as a way of showing respect for what I do, and for helping me make a go of it. Which I think is probably a really good thing for a family member to feel.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've not been in this position yet, but I've bought books from authors I know. Of course you'd buy it; you want to help promote them!

Now, getting other folks to agree can get tacky. Give them a signed copy :) With promo bookmarks or whatever you do that they can spread around to their friends ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.