Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't know if anybody else is going through this or not.

I'm quite at the end of my tether.

A month or so ago I began a thread here about my intentions of 'trunking' a few of my finished manuscripts.

The thing is...one of them was still in the hands of a publisher. It was its last kick at the can. IF it came back rejected I was going to 'trunk' it with the others.

The history of this manuscript:
1. 2007 - Won a best novel award
2. 2007 - Rejected by a publisher who really liked it...just not enough to allot it one of its few title spaces.
3. 2008-2009 With another publisher, I was told that it was being considered on their short list. 3 months later they asked me if it was still available for them. 1 month later, they said they would contact me soon with their final decision. It was on their short short list. Then NOTHING.
4. 2009 - A third publisher tells me they REALLY like it...but that they are unsure of the age appropriateness of the voice. They are still considering it.

I am getting all sorts of kudos on this damn manuscript. And yet it CANNOT find a home. It makes me want to give up writing. So much of me doesn't care about being published. But with this manuscript in particular, I've been told--even by publishers--that it's publication worthy. And yet...nothing.

HOW DOES ONE GET FROM ALMOST GOOD ENOUGH TO THERE. Point A to Point B. The gap is so close, yet SO far away.

I really had resolved to 'trunk' this one. It was figuratively in the trunk...just awaiting the return from the final consideration it's under. Now...I wonder. If it's almost there, is there a way to bring it THERE.

Kevin, frustrated and wondering what to do to give that extra little bit that this manuscript obviously needs. (I know there must be others dealing with this kind of thing. We can commiserate together)

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
HOW DOES ONE GET FROM ALMOST GOOD ENOUGH TO THERE. Point A to Point B. The gap is so close, yet SO far away.
If you ever find out that secret, let me know. I'd love to get in on that.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Who gave the book a Best Novel Award? I think that makes a difference. I am surprised that an award winning novel is having such a difficult time finding a home. Perhaps try University presses, or check who else publishes books that won that same award perviously.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody else is going through this or not.

I'm quite at the end of my tether. HOW DOES ONE GET FROM ALMOST GOOD ENOUGH TO THERE. Point A to Point B. The gap is so close, yet SO far away.

Dude, The GAP is in, like, every mall ever. (In the States, anyway). Plus, there's, like, online shopping and stuff.

And catalogs.

I don't see the problem.

quick, being sensitive and helpful as usual

Reaction score
Ah, the final inch that lasts a mile.

Have you thought of sacrificing a still-beating baboon heart to the Great God Wibblywobbly?

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bewilderingstories.com
The novel's obviously got some merit, or it would have had consistent form rejections, and it didn't.

What I would advise (what I would do, in your position): get some fresh perspective on the book, first. Find several good beta readers (easier said than done; I went through some useless ones, one even deterimental I would say, before I found a good one). But here on AW is a good place to find them. See what they say about your book. Think about it and fix up what sounds appropriate.

Or, you can actually hire a professional editor to take a look. This will cost, though, and do your homework; get recommendations on the quality of their work from several sources so you can get your money's worth.

Second, I would approach this with iron organization: I'd do market research (online, via Novel & Short Story Writers' Guide, Jeff Herman's, etc.) and list the potential markets for my book. Rank them in suitability. Since the wait times are so long (oh wow, do I feel for you here), I'd pick those that don't insist on exclusive first, all else being equal.

I feel for you. Polish the manuscript, get super organized on marketing, and DON'T GIVE UP being the best I can advise you. Good luck.

Wait times, BTW, are horrible with the big publishers. I wrote a semi-rant here on AW at one point myself to let off steam about that particular problem. Combined with their common exclusives, it really hurts writers. I'm still waiting, now month 5 1/2, on word on my submission).

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm just whining people. It's hard being ALMOST accepted several times.

Reaction score
Whining my arse. Someone as talented as you deserves to 'whine'. At least you're not wangsting and refusing to do anything until the world recognises your genius. You're working towards it, whatever IT is, and whenever IT happens.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I've not been even close, but I imagine it is more painful up close than it is from this distance of mine.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I feel like the smartest kid in the dumb class most of the time.

Wow! Does that ever resonate.

Thanks for the advice, all. And support. Just one of those days.

Bunneh...thanks for being you.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Stew was gracious enough to PRIVATELY point out to me how dumb I am in repland. But I feel this is a good indication as to where my head is right now.

The dates...they should be 2007 and 2008-09. I lost a decade this morning. No cause for alarm...this happens all the time. I'm like the time traveller...only the dumb screwed up frazzled version.

Reaction score
Could you go back to last week and smack yourself upside the head then? No reason, I just think it'd be cool.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Could you go back to last week and smack yourself upside the head then? No reason, I just think it'd be cool.

Done. Now all I have is a memory of a fierce headache I suffered a week ago.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Write your next book or it'll drive you nuts. It could be this will end up being your second published novel and that it's simply not meant to be a first. At any rate, good luck. Close calls are probably the most frustrating.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Get you a few good beta readers. They may see something you're missing.

Reaction score
Also, I am the synopsis doctor.

I'm the dog's bollocks at selling other people's books.

Reaction score
It's the cat's pyjamas, the bee's knees, the...well, it's great. The mutt's nuts.

Tallent

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Go ask Peoples how he handled the rejection of "Unforgiven" for 10 years.

Sometimes you have to wait for the market to catch up with you.

You write because you have to. You publish for the love. Most of the times you don't get the love you deserve.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Feel free to write a synopsis for the one you're reading now. (-;

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I don't know anything about these things, but how does an unpublished manuscript win a "Best Novel" award?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Kevin, you're a great writer. And the fact that these publishers were interested, and put you on their short lists, etc. etc. means -- yes, I know you don't want to hear it -- you're really close. But remember, all it takes is ONE acceptance. The more you get it out there, the better chance it will find a match and a home. Sometimes it really is about being in the right hands at the right time. Publishing is a business, and unfortunately often it's out of the writer's hand. But you're a great writer, and you should believe in your book, because you fans do. Persevere. You're so close. Don't give up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.