Horrible honeymoon suggestions?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
My nephew is getting married next year, and is in charge of planning the surprise honeymoon.

Being a family of unregenerate practical jokers, we are sending him all the awful trip plans we can think of, like living in a tent and panning for fools gold in North Carolina, or crewing on a deep-sea squid trawler for a week and cleaning fish.
:evil

Every now and again he will 'accidentally' leave a brochure where she will run across it.
He has a year to totally freak her out before the wedding.
Any awful suggestions you want to share would be appreciated.

BTW, I think he'll take her to Tahiti or somewhere equally wonderful.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have one of the mothers-in-law hint that she's planning to go along on the honeymoon ("Don't worry, dear, you won't even know I'm there . . . ")

That would scare the crap out of any bride or groom. Believe it or not, I have heard of such a thing actually happening.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What time of the year is the honeymoon planned for? That would make a difference.

No offense meant to anyone in Buffalo, NY, but a honeymoon to Buffalo in January wouldn't be my idea of a good time. Or, come to think of it, maybe it would . . . three feet of snow would be a great excuse to spend more time in the hotel room. ;-)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Scott Research Base, Antarctica. (Hmmm, although I'd probably enjoy that.)

Chernobyl in the Ukraine. Complete with a nuclear power plant tour.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's some things that many (but certainly not all) brides would hate on their romantic honeymoon.

Attending a NASCAR race and living in an RV trackside.

Bass fishing.

Going to a religious retreat ("We only require you to be chaste during your time here . . . ").

Going to help out cousin Vinny in the new restaurant he's opening in New Jersey.

A dude ranch.

A nudist camp.

Having the honeymoon planner pretends he's responded to an "Deluxe Honeymoon Package" offered on Craigslist for five days and four nights at the "scenic" Pelican Motel in sunny Gainesville, Florida.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Juarez, Mexico. Because nothing says, "I love you," like the sound of gunshots outside your hotel.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... The Great Dismal Swamp should be great fun in August ;)

If she's bothered by bass fishing, she'll adore a huge NC swamp in high summer :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about Gracious and Glowing Oak Ridge, Tennessee?

Oak Ridge is actually a nice town (full of PhD's), but the idea of spending your honeymoon where they process weapon-grade nuclear material probably isn't all that appealing.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Here's some things that many (but certainly not all) brides would hate on their romantic honeymoon.

Attending a NASCAR race and living in an RV trackside.

Bass fishing.

Going to a religious retreat ("We only require you to be chaste during your time here . . . ").

Going to help out cousin Vinny in the new restaurant he's opening in New Jersey.

A dude ranch.

A nudist camp.

Having the honeymoon planner pretends he's responded to an "Deluxe Honeymoon Package" offered on Craigslist for five days and four nights at the "scenic" Pelican Motel in sunny Gainesville, Florida.
Actually I DID honeymoon at a dude ranch in Wyoming- it was wonderful- incredible homecooked meals, Hot tub, massages, our own private cabin, Horseback riding, then another week in yellowstone. Maybe not everyones' cup-o-tea, but then I would have hated a week in tahiti( no really I would have)

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
okay

Have one of the mothers-in-law hint that she's planning to go along on the honeymoon ("Don't worry, dear, you won't even know I'm there . . . ")

That would scare the crap out of any bride or groom. Believe it or not, I have heard of such a thing actually happening.

I don't know about everybody else, but I want to hear the rest of THAT story! LOL

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Are the gulags still running? A Shakers' retreat (they don't believe in doing THAT!).

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda partial to exploring the bat caves in Yucatan a la Anthony Bourdain,
or attending an intensive square-dance retreat in Toad Lick, Arkansas.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, they could have a good time at the Winter Carnival. I could easily envision staying in a nice Uptown hotel while doing the Winter Carnival thing as a great time, but I'm not really a beachy person.And the dude ranch trip sounds like nine kinds of awesome.

I have to say here, though, that the whole idea of a "surprise honeymoon" gives me the vapors.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Juarez, Mexico. Because nothing says, "I love you," like the sound of gunshots outside your hotel.

...or January here. Dead, dead, dead. And cold and damp.

Now combine these and you get....

Newark < Where the murder by guns toll is way past the double digits.