2009 Black List

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
It's more or less the hollywood execs top 100 or so favorite unproduced screenplays. There are no genre or budget boundaries, they just have to be submitted as favorites the execs didn't buy.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of those look like movies I wouldn't want to see. Also ideas that look familiar - one is almost like the story for Terminator - and lots of biopics.
Close to the top I was surprised to find the script for Wall Street 2 - I thought that movie was already being made and the Black List was for movies that probably wouldn't get made at all.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Yeah there are a few losers - they're remaking Arthur? Seriously? Why?!
A lot of these are reruns come to think of it - LA Rex is a riff on The Departed, while Due Date is a blatant ripoff of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Other common themes include newly divorced couple who can't say goodbye, girls desperate for a boyfriend by prom time (you wish, creepy male writers) and of course, cops seeking revenge on those who attacked their family. Yawn.
But TBF the loglines are assembled by the agents and managers and their teams - there may be some great scripts hiding in there. Actually, there has to be.
Best Actress could work as an Ed Wood style riff on the filming of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? Vatican Tapes looks very cool, like a Paranormal Activity meets The Exorcist.
But my favorite: Girl With the Red Riding Hood. Want to read!

Last edited:

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I also noticed Vatican Tapes for that kind of Blair Witch/Cloverfield/Paranormal Activity fake documentary thing.
Another one of the few that caught my interest was a story about a guy buried in a box in the Mexican desert. It's like an 'underground' version of Phone Booth, one of those things you write when they ask for a low-budget movie with limited locations.

Manectric

Registered
Reaction score
I like Toy's House,well, sort of. The top 11 do not interest me at all. Something stupid about the guy who created Facebook? Umm...

What about Restless,about two teenagers who are worried about dying?

The Girl in the Red Riding Hood sounds llike Twilight without vampires.

The Guys' Girl has got to be messy..three guys realize they're in love with the same girl after she gets engaged to another man?

Good Looking - yay, dating services perfectly match soulmates and a man rejects the woman chosen for him...that sounds intriguing.

30 Minutes or Less A comedy about a pizza delivery guy. Oh, wow.

The Curse of Medusa - an origin story about Medusa the Gorgon...interesting slightly.

Book Smart Sounds kinda nice.

Lastyl, I want to say that Doc and Harry Whack a Granny has a spectacular title. I will not see it if it is produced, though.