PDA

View Full Version : What we had there was a failure to communicate.

underthecity
09-15-2009, 10:26 PM
We were driving home through central Kentucky, about an hour east of Lexington, and stopped for gas. The pump was "pay before pumping" so I went inside to prepay.

I had been driving for a while and was slightly out of it. Also, the station inside was a little noisy. I told the attendant "$20 on pump four," and he said, "What grade?"

I had never been asked that before. So, I replied, "87 octane."

He laughed a little and asked again. I was still somewhat confused, but he saw my credit card and said, "How did you want to pay?"

I handed him the card and said, "Credit." He ran it through and I went back outside.

That's when I realized he wasn't asking "What grade," rather, in a central-Kentucky drawl, he was asking "That credit?" Or, as I misheard it: "That cray-dit?"

But that's okay. I can't understand what my wife's saying half the time either, and she lacks an accent.

kayleamay
09-15-2009, 10:33 PM
:roll:

I stopped for gas in Northern Mississippi once and I SWEAR no one there spoke English. I just recently started to comprehend what "Iountcare" means.

Kitty Pryde
09-15-2009, 10:34 PM
LOL!

I used to work at a summer camp. On Thursday nights we'd put a dance on for the kiddos. The sports instructor was in the office adjoining mine, flipping through music CDs and pulling them out and making notes and stuff, pre-dance. Then he got up and stuck his head in my office and said, "Do you have Fitty Cent?" I assumed he was talking about the (way too vulgar for the kiddos) rapper (50 Cent, often referred to as 'Fitty').

I said, "No, but you can't play him for the kids anyway."

Then he said, "No, do you have Fitty Cent?"

And I said, "No. Maybe Martin (other counselor somewhere at camp) has it. But what do you want it for? Like I said, there's too much cursing and stuff."

And then he said, "I need to call my mom on the pay phone." At that point we both realized what the other was talking about and a great amusement was had by all.

Sophia
09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
"That cray did it?"

Blaming cray is the new blaming Dawno.

Ambrosia
09-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Hehehe

Went on a road trip several years ago, my husband, two friends and myself, in a small car, from New York to Orlando, Florida. Our two friends didn't drive so it was just me and my husband. And we switched off driving but drove straight through due to finances.

Got to Florida, about half an hour or so out from Orlando, and it was breakfast time. Stopped at this diner, the waitress brought us water and we ordered coffee and looked at the menus. She came back with the coffee, sat it down, and looked directly at my husband and said, "you idiot?" We all burst out in uncontrollable laughter. I looked at my husband and asked, "how does she know?" and we all fell into fits. She rolled her eyes and bless her patience, waited till we were quite done. I apologized and told her we had been driving all night and were giddy with exhaustion. Then, we ordered.

None of us have forgotten that moment and to this day will still pop out with "you idiot?" instead of "you ready yet?"

cray
09-15-2009, 10:44 PM
i. am. innocent.

:D

kayleamay
09-15-2009, 10:51 PM
iountcare

spamwarrior
09-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Wait until you come to Rhode Island. XD

Half the time I can't understand what my fellow countrymen are saying.