• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

BR(s) wanted. LF / 60K words --

Status
Not open for further replies.

thornhill

---
Registered
Reaction score
I'm calling my book literary fiction. It's 60,000 words. If it was a movie it would be rated R. It contains adult language, adult situations, and nudity - but you have to imagine that part yourself. There are no pictures.

It started out as a memoir, but towards the last half I recklessly introduced a talking dog into the “story,” and he turned out to be the biggest supporting character, so the memoir genre description doesn't work very well anymore. Oh, and the short scene with Thomas Jefferson (played by an uncredited Snoop Dogg) and Benjamin Franklin kinda sealed my book's fate. I admit - I never met those guys. I hope constitutional purists aren't too offended by two of our hippest founding fathers smoking a joint together. It was still legal back then, you know. And I hope they're not too pissed because they never knew that Betsy Ross worked at a strip club in order to put herself through college.
Yeah, I think literary fiction should do just fine.
There's no plot, no story, and the conflict is almost entirely in my head. Err, I mean, the protaganist's head. That guy.
It's really a love story. You'll see.
It's visceral and you may just hate it. Especially chapter twenty.

I posted the first three chapters on SYW/Memoir a couple months ago if you like to check it out. It's a real fast read. It's called “You Get Used to It.” The most common comment is, “Where are you going with this?” I agree with them. It's too late to do much about that. Think of my book like acid.

“Dude, it's been a half hour. When's this shit gonna kick in?”
“Wait for it, man.”

You won't find many typos, spelling, or grammar problems with my first draft. I've been through it a hundred times. I can read it out loud from memory. I'm looking for an overall opinion of my work. The big picture. I know there are some rough parts in the middle, but I really love the last half. The first half isn't so bad. It's that middle half that I worry about. I'm afraid it's gonna make people throw my book at their cow, who will kick his/her hind leg, knock over a lantern, and start another Chicago fire. I'd hate to have that shit on my conscious.

I'd like a BR who is fairly established on this board. Somebody I can trust. You know? I realize that I'd flunk out as a BR based on my own criteria. I just don't post that much myself. I plan on sticking around, though. Think of me like that guy who's in the background of all your vacation photos.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.