Anyone know parts of a yacht? Very quick question...

kdbeaar

Trying to finish at least 1 ms!
Registered
Reaction score
...I need to know the name of the room where the yacht is steered from, you know, where the wheel is. I thought it was engine room? but then I thought that might be where the physical engines are, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for your help!

Karen

StumbleRum

Registered
Reaction score
Bridge or possibly cockpit. I think it might depend on the size of the vessel.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Cockpit is actually the aft portion of the boat. It depends on the type of vessel you're speaking of, but bridge or flybridge or even helm will suffice. (It should be noted that in the event of an emergency where the helm is unavailable, there is a compartment on many ships near the engine room called "after steering" where the vessel can be turned.)

You can always ask the fine folks over at Yacht Forums for more info.

Last edited:

StumbleRum

Registered
Reaction score
Actually it refers to both the rear portion of the vessel and/or also the part where it is steered from. ;)

To be honest, I have never really heard it used to refer to the aft. In that scenario we use "aft." lol But a quick look around the interwebs shows that some people do in fact use it to refer to the aft.

# The location from which the boat is steered, usually in the middle or the rear of the boat.
www.terrax.org/sailing/glossary/gc.aspx

# Area towards the stern of a yacht from which the helmsman steers and the crew trims the sails.
www.technologyawards.org/marine_technology/

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm talking powerboats myself. I've run on many a sportfisher, and the rear of the vessel where you fight and haul in the fish either over the transom or through the transom door is called the cockpit. It's also referred to as a cockpit on my Intrepid. The boating industry refers to it as the cockpit. But of course, your cruising radius may vary.

I've heard helm stations referred to as upper helm, for one on a flybridge, and as a lower helm, on what would usually be a trawler. On an express, we usually just call it a helm.

You can get a glimpse of what I mean with regards to a "cockpit" by perusing this review here.

Last edited:

StumbleRum

Registered
Reaction score
More of a sailor than power boater myself (which I am guessing is where our differences on these defnitions is stemming from), though at the rescue org where I used to volunteer, the cockpit was most definitely referring to the place from which the coxswain steered (those ones were power boats). That was a center cockpit.

Center cockpits are also usual on Ketch rigs in sailing. (Which might be why I was a little confused when you said it referred to the aft)

Have only ever heard helm used in reference to the actual steering mechanism.

lol - at this stage, I really don't think we're help KD Beaar!

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Damn blowboater, what do you know? ;)

I'm sure the terminology is correct in all instances cited, though if kdbeaar is talking about a megayacht, then he's out of my price range. :D

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My experience was on a naval mine-sweeping destroyer. The officer on the bridge would blow down a brass tube and shout "Wheelhouse."

I'd look up at the yawning brass tube above my left eye, and respond "Wheelhouse."

"Course two six five."

"Course two six five," I'd dutifully respond.

Then I'd whirl this damned great spoked wheel around, trying to get the rotating compass lined up to the crossbar on 265 degrees.

Not as easy as it seems.

I had a great view from the wheelhouse -just below the bridge - out over the prow of the ship.

Until I understood and manged to compensate for the 'lag' between turning the wheel and the needle moving, the view to the stern was a zig-zag of foaming wake as I struggled to get and keep a full throttle destroyer on course!! And 30 knots in a manoeuvering destroyer is quite an experience!

Great experience - 2 years National Service in the 1950's. In the Royal Navy but only 2 weeks at sea -rest of the time I was on a concrete battleship!

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't honestly remember precisely. HMS Obdurate. 1956 or 57.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Ships/HMSObdurate.html

I was only on board for a 2 week trip round the English Channel to keep the regulars amused I think - I was a Writer (clerk).

All I know is the engine room had double-doors to the entrance to prevent blow-back and it was hotter than hell the only time I went down there.

They were still using the brass tubes in the 1950s?!? Was it a coal fired destroyer?

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Montana and know all about water navigation. Steering may be accomplished by the paddler in the front seat of the canoe or the one in rear seat.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
It all depend on the size and type of craft. Smallcraft and sailboats will call it a cockpit.
A powered cruiser will call it a bridge. A ship, having a command bridge, will have a separate wheelhouse or pilot house. Hope that helps.

kdbeaar

Trying to finish at least 1 ms!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your help! I think 'bridge' will be fine...I think that's what a 13 year old boy would think of first, too.

Seems like everyone had a bit of a good time on this one! LOL

Last edited: