A Writer's Psychology

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightstar

Tub-thumping!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is an ideal psychology for a writer.

I have a recurring problem that seems to sabotage all my efforts... this is what happens.

I get an idea, I create my plot and storyline, and develop my characters. I thump out a few thousand words as a first draft, I stop. I start to think...

uhh... why am i doing this, exactly? who is going to want to read this anyways? why am I trying to say something that has already been said thousands of times, by people who have far more flair for writing than I do...

and on and on.

I go further and further into doubt and fear of failure. I realize that I must be suffering from some confidence issues, and this is holding me back from completing my projects. I have been a member of writing clubs, and have even done a professional writing course, but both of these left me thinking I'm not good enough...

I usually get over myself and after a few days of this, put my bum back on my chair, and carry on. But, how can I get over this confidence thing, and does anyone else have the same emotional roller coaster with writing?

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, I think we all wrestle with the "am I actually good enough" thing. It's normal. And better than thinking everything that drips from your magic pen is pure gold, just 'cuz you wrote it. It's normal. But then, in my experience, you get more used to it, so it doesn't last that long after a while, and you don't actually have to stop writing. After a while, it gets less intense and you just push through it. :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Seriously, I think we all wrestle with the "am I actually good enough" thing. It's normal. And better than thinking everything that drips from your magic pen is pure gold, just 'cuz you wrote it. It's normal. But then, in my experience, you get more used to it, so it doesn't last that long after a while, and you don't actually have to stop writing. After a while, it gets less intense and you just push through it. :)
I'm sorry but everything that drips from my pen is pure Titanium. ;)

I don't think my writing is bad as much as I just get too lazy to exercise my writing muscles. I'm a student and it's rather draining.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score

I don't think my writing is bad as much as I just get too lazy to exercise my writing muscles. I'm a student and it's rather draining.

Heh. That's actually more my problem right now too. Also a student. And finding time to write is very hard.

I got that 'am I good enough' feeling quite a bit when I was working on my first serious novel, but I don't get it so much anymore. It's still in there, but it doesn't come out so much. :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I think that happens to everybody.

OTOH, the best things I've read are from folks who have strong feelings on what is crap and what isn't crap in writing in general. Maybe there has to be strong confidence as a reader first.

If I see my work as just another thing put in front of readers, hopefully there is an objectivity that helps kill the self-doubt.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... think improvement, rather than publication, and your confidence issues will evaporate. The problem with many writers, these days, is that they're to darned impatient. Takes years to perfect a craft and yet they seem set on doing it overnight, as if they were working on jigsaw puzzles instead of novels. // Now back to writing with you and let's not hear any more about these confidence issues of yours, again, at least till you finish your current work. // G'luck ;-)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Have you ever been critiqued? Has anyone ever pointed to one of your favorite sentences and said "This stinks!!" It happens to great writers, and I knew it was going to happen to me, but I still feared it.

We all want to know if we're any good, and the fear is that we're not. Post some of your best in SYW and you'll either confirm or allay those doubts. My first effort stunk, and people here told me so. But the great thing is that I got better. I considered what people pointed out, and let my hurt feelings sit it out that day. Now people say they like my writing.

It was a great experience.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Some people's writing stinks and may well always stink. I don't know that it matters if the individual concerned enjoys the whole business of writing.

Not everyone will be published. Not everyone who is published will sell many books. If we look for external validation for what we do, we may have to wait a long time.
It is OK to draw for pleasure, to sing for pleasure, whatever is wrong with writing for pleasure?

To be a writer I think it is only necessary to write and those of us who enjoy it will probably carry on doing it whatever the outcome. Some writers go on about the need for dedication, continual improvement. They urge others on with rallying cries - never give up, write through the pain barrier, the only thing you need is persistance etc etc.
I can't see the point of any of that. Writers write because it gives them something that other activities don't. They stick at it because they like that something. Psychological profiling is not much help - if you get something from the activity of writing and you like what you get then you probably will carry on, if you don't get that somewhat perverse pleasure from it, why bother?

lightstar

Tub-thumping!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Ken, I like the way you think... ;)

Wayne, I've never been critiqued, but I would like to give it a go... I don't understand the reference though, what is SYW?

Timewaster, I understand exactly where you are coming from when you say that you either have to write, or else you don't, and if you don't why bother.

I am one of those lucky people who do have to write, however, what I obsessively write are my journals, and I'm not sure that any of those could be ever turned into anything commercial. They are for me and me alone. And I'm happy with that.

I am though, trying to see if I can turn my hand at a more commerical style, and am focussing on writing a travel memoir at the moment - which is sort of similar to what I do anyway, but obviously with more discipline and structure to it than the kind of writing that I would normally do.

I'm enjoying the process, but I think that my confidence issues come from deeper insecurities and they permeate my whole life, not just my writing. Therefore, yeah, I worry that what I have to say is clunky, obvious and lacking subtlety.

I'm reminded of a quote, 'What I like in a good author, is not what he says, but what he whispers'. I can't remember who said it, but it really sums up to me, what I am trying to achieve, and yet, I don't know yet if I am capable of such.

Stargazer

Spiralling into the abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Lightstar, just go for it, and to-hell with everything else.

I too have seriousproblems with self-confidence, self-beleif, self-trust, and many other things. It all stems from a rotten and abusive childhood but one thing that remianed intact was my imagination.

Somehow, I became a writer. I have two book length stories completed, one fo them only just, but the other has been sitting around doing nothing for about four years now.

The reason I've never sent it to anyone is because I don't beleive I could ever produce something good enough to be published. Since the completion of my second full-length project, I feel I have evolved enough as a writer to go back and make the changes I need to the first and maybe I will consider going further with it.

But I started my latest project, not because I wanted to have more to (possibly) one day publsih but because I enjoy getting words out of my head. I'd say, write what you want, without fear of how good or bad it is and only once you're done, make the changes you feel are necessary and then run it by friends, family and coworkers for feedback.

You never know, if you can get past the first hurdle (ie yourself), then it's all uphill from there. Even if you neverpublish, at least you can say you've written something you're half-happy with.

Rob.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
... think improvement, rather than publication, and your confidence issues will evaporate. The problem with many writers, these days, is that they're to darned impatient. Takes years to perfect a craft and yet they seem set on doing it overnight, as if they were working on jigsaw puzzles instead of novels....
I agree.

Most writers, if not all, feel as if they're on an emotional roller coaster ride. Like any job. Some days you can feel like you're the best in the world at what you do, other days you feel like you don't belong with the others in your profession; you're not good enough. The key is to keep going, keep reading, keep writing.

Bosstik

Registered
Reaction score
I have a recurring problem...

I get an idea, I create my plot and storyline, and develop my characters. I thump out a few thousand words as a first draft, I stop. I start to think...

uhh... why am i doing this, exactly? who is going to want to read this anyways? why am I trying to say something that has already been said thousands of times, by people who have far more flair for writing than I do...

It might be me, but all those questions seem perfectly reasonable questions to ask at that point of the story process. Instead of allowing the questions to undermine confidence, I use them (or my answers to them) to improve a story to the point where questions are no longer an issue.

It's not easy but it's worth it if it works.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I struggle with this. I am always doubting whether my writing is good enough, and if it isn't, why bother. But I keep at it anyway. If it's not good enough, I'll know soon enough through rejection, and then I'll be able to try again, and hopefully, improve. Publishing is very much a survival of the fittest sort of system. If you really aren't good enough, you'll figure that out really quickly. Otherwise, keep at it. Good luck.

Wired

Easily distracted
Registered
Reaction score

I have these thoughts every other day. I just feed them chocolate and tell 'em to shut up. Self-doubt seems to be part of the writer lifestyle. Keep working though it.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Ken - i also like the way you think :)

KCT & Cassiopeia: i agree with you both about how draining being a student and trying to write is. All your mojo seems to be used up writing academic papers (in my experience).

Lightstar - i'm the exact same, we all wonder 'are we good enough' etc but i think its so important to remember what Ken was saying. Would you expect to paint a masterpiece if you've just started to paint? or to play the piano perfectly without lessons?
Like any craft, writing takes time and i think young writers especially (speaking from my own experience) do have this 'thing' that they will be overnight success stories with their first ever novel, and when they think their writing isn't good enough or when they do get rejection - it completely shatters this idea and people quit.

One of the most important things i learnt wandering the blogosphere and AW is that its ok and important to make mistakes, to write badly etc. as long as you keep working and improving then you'll make it.

Basically my big long post is what Ken said it - improvement not publication.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
OK, forgetting publication, this might sound strange, but I've always written what I do because I like it.

So, on one hand, it doesn't matter if others don't like it because I do and I think it's fun.

OTOH, add others into the mix and it becomes a very different question. One that is ultimately resolved by the fact that I still like it, so it was worth it. But there's no getting around what others think if that is the actual question. They may not like it. Not everyone will. You have to be OK with that, imho.

If you want others to like it a lot, read about what makes 'good' writing and work hard. In the end, do it because you enjoy it, though, because it's the sort of thing that is hard on egos!

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to sound really lame, but I'd say, it's important to love creating things. Really, you don't have to love writing. I hear a lot of writers say they love the act of writing, putting words together, toying with them, et cetera... but I don't. I loathe it quite a bit, and that's not because I find it very hard or challenging. I've been writing since I was very young, and I'm pretty good at it, but I love the ideas a lot more than the actual mechanics of the thing.

If you ever want to do something meaningful with your writing (and if you're here, you probably do), it's important to get real about things and treat your writing as an actual job (i.e, embrace the fact it won't always be fun), but I think it's very important to keep that initial joy of creation. That's the thing that will make the nastiest, most ugly slog of a WIP ten times as entertaining as a desk job.

Whenever you get down on yourself, I suggest focusing on what compelled you to write in the first place. It might cheer you up.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I suffer from ego-maniacal fits and delusions of grandeur. I practically walk round my house telling my brother and children that I am the next Anne Rice. Then they order me outside and lock the door. Confidence is not an issue with me.

I used to be a serious procrastinator. I would start,stop,laze off,etc. What cured me was "butt in seat". I write every day. I don't miss a beat. Even when I think the book stinks,the character sucks,I'm tired,etc. I eat a Godiva chocolate bar and write through the rough patches and pretty soon,fun times return!

It takes something really serious for me to skip my daily crack,er,writing. I write because I love it. I can't imagine life without it. Don't be so hard on yourself. Write for your own pleasure and know the hard times are far outweighed by the good.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is an ideal psychology for a writer.

I have a recurring problem that seems to sabotage all my efforts... this is what happens.

and on and on.

I go further and further into doubt and fear of failure. I realize that I must be suffering from some confidence issues, and this is holding me back from completing my projects. I have been a member of writing clubs, and have even done a professional writing course, but both of these left me thinking I'm not good enough...

I usually get over myself and after a few days of this, put my bum back on my chair, and carry on. But, how can I get over this confidence thing, and does anyone else have the same emotional roller coaster with writing?

You have what I call 'Wasting Words Syndrome'. Stop plotting, outlining, worrying, and over-analysing and just 'wing it'.

JJ

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

I'm not a student, but I'm finding it hard to find time and to focus. My life has changed a lot in the past year - I'm almost divorced and very quickly (and happily) found myself in a very serious new relationship with a man with a daughter he has 50% of the time. I can't bring myself to write more than a few pages before I don't like it, and then, a few weeks later, I'll try again with something new. When I have time, which isn't often anymore (but I'm not complaining).

Status
Not open for further replies.