Bus, subway explosions overwhelm London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simran

Is anyone on this forum from London?????? If so, I hope they are ok.

Bus, subway explosions overwhelm London
LONDON (AP) —
At least six blasts rocked the London subway and tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday, police said, killing at least two people and injuring nine, prompting officials to shut down the entire underground transport network.

clear.gif
inside-london.jpg
clear.gif

Injured passengers leave the scene of one of Thursday's London subway blasts.
clear.gif

The near simultaneous explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G-8 summit was getting underway in Scotland. Initial reports blamed a power surge, but officials were not ruling out an intentional attack.

A senior Israeli official says Scotland Yard told Israel minutes before explosions it had received warnings of possible terror attacks.

"There have been a number of dreadful incidents across London today," said Home Secretary Charles Clarke, Britain's top law enforcement officer. He said there were "terrible injuries."

One witness, Darren Hall, said some passengers emerging from an evacuated subway station had soot and blood on their faces. He told BBC TV that he was evacuated along with others near the major King's Cross station and only afterward heard a blast.

Police confirmed an explosion destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London and said they suspected a bomb caused the blast. Dow Jones Newswires reported that police said there were explosions on two others buses.

A witness at the Russell Square blast said the entire top deck of that bus was destroyed.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," Belinda Seabrook told Press Association, the British news agency.

She said the bus was packed with people.

"It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air," she said.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was hosting the world's most powerful leaders at Gleneagles, Scotland, was expected to make a statement at 7 a.m. ET. It was not clear if the G-8 gathering focusing on climate change and aid for Africa — but from which Iraq has largely been left off the agenda — would have to be postponed.

Police said incidents were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square in central London, near the British Museum.

London Ambulance Service said several vehicles had been dispatched to the area near Liverpool Street station.

"We believe there was some sort of explosion. There are some walking wounded at Aldgate," said a spokesman for City of London police, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"We are not sure of the scale of the incident. Reports are still coming in."

Bradley Anderson, a subway passenger, told Sky News that "there was some kind of explosion or something" as his train reached the Edgware Road station in northeast London.

"Everything went black and we collided into some kind of oncoming train," Anderson said.

Simon Corvett, 26, who was on an eastbound train from Edgware Road station, said: "All of sudden there was this massive huge bang."

"It was absolutely deafening and all the windows shattered," he said. "There were just loads of people screaming and the carriages filled with smoke.

"You could see the carriage opposite was completely gutted," he said. "There were some people in real trouble."

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm listening to the account on NPR right now--Tony Blair is making his first statement regarding the attacks.

dee3

Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with you

I just wanted to say that to anyone affected by this terrible tragedy in London, I am praying for all of you and I hope they catch who did this terrible act.

Skipp

Registered
Reaction score
Some small terror group has claimed responsibility, according to reports. Of course, they won't be the last.

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
My brother lives just outside and gets the tube into the city to work.

Right now only a couple of fatalities have been confirmed.

It's going to be an odd sight tonight. What with all public transport shut down, everyone's talking about walking home. My brother has 15 miles to go, and some people in his office have more. They're all leaving early to make a start. The pavements are going to be packed with people, while others fight over cabs.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
I have many British friends and my prayers are with them and for the country of England today and always.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
This is going to be interesting. Currently in Amsterdam for a tech conference and due to be flying back to Heathrow tomorrow afternoon...

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Richard said:
This is going to be interesting. Currently in Amsterdam for a tech conference and due to be flying back to Heathrow tomorrow afternoon...
uh Rich, can you rent a row boat or maybe thumb a ride back with a friend.,.. you might want to try walking some.....
My prayers are there....

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Actually, I'm just relieved to have a reason to read the safety cards for once. I've always wondered what they say...

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Prayers and hugs to all...

Hubby and I were stunned and upset over this this morning. We were in London in 1997, stayed at a hotel in the Russell Sq. area (Bloomsbury section of London), so we actually had to get off and on at the Russell Sq. station...

The latest I've heard is that a group linked to al-Qaeda claimed responsibility on their website. As with 9/11, only after the authorities have sifted through everything will we find out whether that's true (and another report states that some explosives have been found).

9/11 all over again...I work for a company with a London HQ...everyone there is fine, although one of the blasts was only a couple of miles away...

:heart: Prayers and hugs to all in London and those who have loved ones there.

~Nancy

Simran

news report just came across that 190 people injured (150 of those seriously) 2 have died
cry.gif

The roof of a double decker bus was ripped right off from the explosion and at least 4 other explosions on the tube.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
All those cameras they have watching the public over there should come in handy now.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my nuclear family are the only part of my larger family in Stevenage, the rest are in London, and my husband commutes there everyday, passing often through many of the places today attacked. Noone I know of has been directly affected, and I hope that will also prove true across my internet community - but I cannot feel unaffected myself. Whether or not any of us or anyone we know or regularly communicate with was in the vicinity, this cannot change or diminish the reality that hundreds of people have been involved - their lives hijacked, some permanently. That of course is true of every incident of any scale anywhere in the world.

Nowadays anywhere IS everywhere, and anyone IS everyone.

That's very much what G8 was about too.

For me, I'd rather that my body died than that my soul died, and There will always be the difference between the victims and the perpetrators whenever and wherever this type of thing happens.

I'm not a blairite, never was, and never would be, (and anyway, someone else probably worded his speech), but I agree with the sentiment that we must meet the determination of these people with our own determination - and we must remain committed to our own honourable values despite provocation.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Nivvie said:
My brother lives just outside and gets the tube into the city to work.

Right now only a couple of fatalities have been confirmed.

It's going to be an odd sight tonight. What with all public transport shut down, everyone's talking about walking home. My brother has 15 miles to go, and some people in his office have more. They're all leaving early to make a start. The pavements are going to be packed with people, while others fight over cabs.

I'm glad you and your brother are okay.

Please keep us posted. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

When I was there, I stayed just two blocks away from Russell Square. It's a really busy station. I shiver just to think about all those people there...
making me sad and mad!!!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.

Nation of Islam and Arab nation: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British Government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahideen exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid.

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused. God says: "You who believe: If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4660391.stm

Status
Not open for further replies.