Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tilda said:
Hi!
I'm looking for information about how English speakers pronounce the name "Qavier". I have a suspicion, but I'm not 100% sure. :) For clarification: I'm a non-native speaker myself.:hi:

If you are referring to Xavier - it sounds like Zav - e - er. Long a; long e.

My Hispanic friends have pronounced it - Ha - ve - air and (short a; long e) and
Ha - ve - a (short a; long e; final long a)

If you use the letter 'Q', English says put a 'u' after it.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Unique said:
If you use the letter 'Q', English says put a 'u' after it.
There are quite a few English words that use the QA combo. I can't think of any right this instant, but those cutthroat scrabble players out there should know what I mean. If I saw this name I'd say Kay'-vee-yaer

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quite right. Guess it will depend on the story characters and the target audience. English pronunciation varies the world over.

What are you looking for Til? American English, British English, Austrailian, New Zealand? What nationality is your target audience and the ethnicity of your character? You'll get different answers depending.

Last edited:

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
sunandshadow said:
I've heard Xavier pronounced as 2 syllables, Zave-yer. (This would be in Pennsylvania - might be different depending on regional accent.)

That is the way I've heard it pronounced, too, except it's not quite the usual "er" sound. It's a bit more drawn out.

Maybe you could rent a copy of one of the X-Men movies if you want to hear a recording. One of the main characters in that movie has that name.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Zay-vier. And yes, it's pronounced like it is in the X-Men movies - one of the advantages of having a Shakespearean actor like Patrick Stewart do the role ;-)

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
X, at the begining of a word, is pronounced like a Z in English. I know, it's confusing, especially since there are many other languages that use the Roman alphabet and pronounce X the same way no matter where it appears in a word.

SeanDSchaffer

Tilda said:
You know, I feel like such a dill! I actually meant the name Xavier. How do you pronounce that in English?
Thanks! I'm off to stuff bananas in my ears.
;)

I believe you pronounce 'Xavier' in English, much like you would 'Savior,' with the exception that the 'X' is pronounced like a 'Z.'

Ironically, I was told sometime ago, while visiting a Spanish Mission in Arizona (San Xavier del Bac, to the south of Tucson) that 'Xavier' is in fact a Spanish version of the word 'Savior.'

However, I never looked it up for myself, so I wouldn't necessarily trust that definition, unless you looked up the definition in a Spanish-English Dictionary.

Last edited:

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Zay-vier is one pronounciation. However, (and speaking of Tucson), I would say that isn't the most common one, especially here where I live.

I know four people named Xavier. And like Unique pointed out, every single one of them pronounces it Hav-ee-air.

SeanDSchaffer

XThe NavigatorX said:
Zay-vier is one pronounciation. However, (and speaking of Tucson), I would say that isn't the most common one, especially here where I live.

I know four people named Xavier. And like Unique pointed out, every single one of them pronounces it Hav-ee-air.

I'm glad you pointed that out, Navigator. Especially so, because of your location. I must admit, when I went to San Xavier del Bac, I was a tourist from Phoenix, and not very well-versed in Spanish. (I've lived in Oregon most of my life; I only lived in the Southwest for roughly 3 years.) So it's good to hear from someone who lives in the Tucson area who is obviously better versed in Spanish than I am. I admittedly don't know that much of the language, except what I've been told by others--and I never had any formal education in the language, either.

Again, it's good you pointed that out. I know I've learned something today. Thank you kindly.

:Thumbs:

mindelei

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, there's the ever popular pronunciation beginning with the "Z" sound; however, I have met a few that pronounce the "X" as in: "Eks-zay-vee-er".

Just another take on it....
Mindelei

BTW...I grew up in Michigan and have lived all over the US...

Last edited:

anais

Registered
Reaction score
mindelei said:
Of course, there's the ever popular pronunciation beginning with the "Z" sound; however, I have met a few that pronounce the "X" as in: "Eks-zay-vee-er".

Just another take on it....
Mindelei

BTW...I grew up in Michigan and have lived all over the US...

The folks in Cincinnati call their university "eks-zay-vee-er." I was made fun of for pronouncing the X as a Z, but I believe that's techically the correct way to say it.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say - if you like the name Xavier - use it. Whoever reads your work will pronounce it mentally they way they've heard it pronounced.

BTW - I have seen it written Quavier - but not in a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.