PDA

View Full Version : Lulu versus Amazon -

ShannonC_77
09-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm finishing up the proofing of a non-fiction book I wrote and am looking to mostly use this to build credibility.

If I sell a few copies, that's definitely a bonus, but it's not my primary objective - I just want it to be 'out there' for people to see that I'm an author (I plan to combine it with other programs/products online).

Originally I was going to go with Lulu for this, but then someone else was mentioning the Amazon self-publish program. What would be best for me? I'd like to keep my costs as low as possible in all this. I want the book to be on Amazon, but if it was able to get online on other sites, that'd be even better.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

veinglory
09-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Createspace (Amazon) allows a book to be cheaper, but Lulu allowed it to be offered through more online venues including non-US Amazon sites. IMHO those are the main differences.

ChristineR
09-14-2009, 07:04 AM
Lulu offers a bunch of other author services, such as custom cover creation, layout, and editing. In theory you could hire Lulu to do your editing, and still print with Createspace, but you might find it more cost effective to buy one of Lulu's packages, depending on your needs.

Createspace is much more geared to the person who doesn't know much about book publishing, but wants to get their stuff out there.

Artphotos
09-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Shannon, I have a non-fiction book with lulu. I've been very unhappy with them lately. Over the past two years their print prices have gone up to the point I find I can no longer sell competitively. My requests to have my book taken off Amazon have been ignored. My emails go unanswered, they appear to have removed their live chat option and have no phone number. In other words, they control all the communication.

I recommend you play with their price calculators to see how the numbers work for your project. More outlets doesn't help if the price is too high.

nitaworm
09-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Also note, that there are a lot of other choices out there that others in this forum have used. Do more research before you decide.

Marva
09-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Shannon, I have a non-fiction book with lulu. I've been very unhappy with them lately. Over the past two years their print prices have gone up to the point I find I can no longer sell competitively. My requests to have my book taken off Amazon have been ignored. My emails go unanswered, they appear to have removed their live chat option and have no phone number. In other words, they control all the communication.

I recommend you play with their price calculators to see how the numbers work for your project. More outlets doesn't help if the price is too high.
I, too, feel Lulu-burnt. I had the opposite problem, however. My book was removed from direct sale on Amazon and no amount of explaining I did got either Lulu or Amazon to acknowledge a problem existed. My book did actually have sales. Not huge sales, but small and steady.

I also know that Amazon sold 50-60 copies of my book before they, inexplicably, said it was no longer available, yet I didn't receive a penny in royalties. Both Amazon and Lulu pointed fingers at each other.

And Lulu forces the retail price too high. That doubling the costs deal sucks.