PDA

View Full Version : Weep. WEEP for our children!! At least they spelled mcdonalds right..

lucidzfl
09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
In the course of doing some research on my WIP, I found.... This...

I don't know what grade this person is in... But... does it even matter?

http://www.trap17.com/index.php/Desile-Cars-Run-Olive-Oil33_t28429.html

Kurtz
09-13-2009, 09:14 PM
That is pretty good writing for the youth of today to be honest

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I mean they mostly TEXT everything. You only have so much space for your words.

Cranky
09-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I'd be more concerned about the atrocious spelling if he was also completely off-base. But he isn't. He *seems* to have been paying attention in class and was excited by the idea. That, to me, is the most important part. Maybe he was being lazy and not proofreading his posts, I don't know.

If he turned in a paper with all those misspellings and lololol's, then I'd be concerned. But it's a posting on a messageboard, and lots of places are not as concerned with proper spelling and grammar as we are here at AW. Take heart! The kid was paying attention in class and learning! JFTR, my husband is an incredibly smart person, but grammar and spelling is not his forte. His brain is usually working a mile a minute, and when I help proofread his papers and such, I can find plenty of grammar and spelling errors, sure. Mostly homonym problems. So what? The man is still smarter than I am by a country mile, and he's not having trouble understanding the concepts. He just has problems with language.

KellyAssauer
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I agree entirely with Cranky, having a good friend that spent 15 years as an editor in a publishing company that produced exclusively college level instructional texts, never a day went by when they didn't have to correct some Doctor of such-in-such's grammar and misspellings.

It was a real eye-opener.

Synonym
09-13-2009, 10:04 PM
It is kind of scary that I could read it and figure out what was being said. Is this the future of our language.

Kurtz
09-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Lewis Carrol invented text speak in the 19th century, I wonder what he would have thought about all this

Bravo
09-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Lewis Carrol invented text speak in the 19th century, I wonder what he would have thought about all this

probably would've been excited by the new way to pick up prebuscent girls.

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 10:17 PM
When I was a senior in college, taking a senior seminar (English major), the professor asked me if I would tutor one of the students in our class. Now this girl was also a senior. How she got that far I'll never know. She was planning to become a teacher.

I agreed. He gave me her paper to read. She had gotten a D on it. It was absolutely awful. I could not understand how this person could be an English major and write so poorly.

Well, she never showed up for our appointment in the Writing Center so I never got to work with her.

But if she ever did graduate and become a teacher...

Wow.

spamwarrior
09-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Interesting. Just... interesting.

Kurtz
09-13-2009, 10:33 PM
probably would've been excited by the new way to pick up prebuscent girls.

As soon as I posted I thought this. We should thank the stars he died before the internet.

BenPanced
09-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Um, if it isn't spelled "McDonald's", it's still incorrect.

Maryn
09-13-2009, 11:35 PM
It's of equal interest to me that a couple of the replies are equally well-written. Check out hotdog55 and tdktank59.

Maryn, believing our educational system is failing our children

AnonymousWriter
09-14-2009, 12:08 AM
True, the educational system probably isn't up to the standards it should be, but most teachers don't have enough time to cram in all the lessons required.

Changes in the cirriculum etc. and pushy parents means that teachers have to try to fit loads of different subjects in. And it's not just everyday subjects such as art, music, drama, history etc. They now have to educate kids on things such as healthy eating (which if we're being honest, is the parent's job).

With extra subjects/lessons being added, basic skills such as english and maths are seriously lacking.

Sweetleaf
09-14-2009, 12:16 AM
I go nuts over things like this! I'm not perfect, but that kind of laziness just bugs the hell out of me.

But then, I used to correct my manager's emails and send them back to him, so I'm pretty hard on this...

Kurtz
09-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

^ this is the pinnacle of the english language

I DIDNT [sic] EAT THAT SANDWICH OR THE TOEILET [sic] THING EITHER ... I FUCKIN [sic] YOU GUYS

A close second. Rumor has it is that the poster tried to say 'I fucking love you guys' but missed out the "you". Whatever he intended it has been lost to the sands of the internet.