Detroit Bus Cuts

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Having spent a good bit of time in MI, I saw first hand the terrible time MI and Detroit is going through.

Terrible.

I hope Detroit can weather these tough times and rebound with a manufacturing strategy that makes it the thriving city it once was.

Hang in there!

EM

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Might as well stick a fork in that city.

Due to the history of the auto industry being in that town, it has some of the least developed mass transit out of major US cities. Combine that with massive unemployment, and city that looks like a DMZ, I don't think Detroit will ever recover to what it used to be.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't the 2006 Super Bowl supposed to be Detroit's salvation? You mean that half-billion dollar stadium didn't turn things around as the politicians promised?

How about that Whopper Tax? Millions of dollars didn't flood into the city's coffers from that? Shocking, I must say.

Perhaps it's the outstanding school system that will lead to Detroit's recovery.

Detroit is the poster child for the future of big cities. The unholy trinity of Big Business, Big Union and Big Government have rendered it all but uninhabitable. I've seen homes on the market there for $50, and I believe that's way overpriced.

It's not that there are no solutions. This article, written over three years ago, does a great job of laying out a way for Detroit's renaissance. But all the recommendations fly in the face of the "conventional wisdom" that allows the carrion-eaters to continue to feast on the carcass of what used to be one of America's brightest stars.

Far from being recognized as the cautionary tale it represents, Detroit is seen as an abberation that will magically blossom once again as soon as the auto industry recovers.

I'm reminded of nothing so much as the extinction of the dinosaurs.