Press Release (Finalists, please read)

Rhush

Slave to the metal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hey guys! I am coming out of my ode of silence to ask a question. Is there still going to be a press release at the end of the contest and will it still involve all the original contestants?
BTW...
Read your article in Writer's Digest about making editors happy, Jenna. Very helpful!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Funny, I was just going to post something about this. Might as well do it now, though it looks like I'll have to track down some of the finalists by e-mail. (I miss truman!)

For the press release, I'd like to feature a short paragraph about each of you and a line or two to pitch your latest/greatest project, whatever it is you're pitching. Would be great if you'd post here so I can keep track of everything in one spot. Figure 100 words maximum altogether (bio + pitch) for our top 3 finalists and 80 words maximum altogether for all other finalists. (Unlike with the entries, you won't be penalized if you go a little above the word count.) The winner will get a little more space than that. If you have a website, great-- include that. If not, make sure you're including some way for agents/editors to contact you (probably e-mail addy), but also keep in mind that I'll be posting the press release online, so if you're afraid of spambots, use (at) or spaces or whatever to make your e-mail unclickable.

If you have any particular targets for the release, let me know. If you want me to send the PR to your local paper or wherever, find an e-mail address for me and I'll be happy to send it.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure how to distill my brilliance and the brilliance of Mad World into 80 words, that's all.

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, no, I haven't gone shy, Jenna. We were visiting at my parent's place this weekend. The kids had a blast, and I got some relax-with-a-book time. :Clap: I'm not sure what to put in those 100 words, I've never done anything like this before. Anyone have any tricks of the trade they'd like to share?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rhush said:
I second that DJP! I'm pretty much lost too. A total press release newbie.

Me, too. I'm waiting for one of you other finalists to go first to see how it's done.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Press releases are easy. Just imagine that you work for a newspaper or magazine and you're looking for something to drop into a suddenly empty space in your publication. Your press release should read like an article - make sure you hit the 5 W's of Journalism. If space allows (which I don't think it does), you can also include a snappy quote. Journalists love snappy quotes.

VOTE_BOT

Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
Registered
Reaction score
Come on, kids. This ain't rocket science:

VOTE_BOT is a freelance ambassador of goodwill and vote mobilizer whose articles and short fiction have appeared in PlayBot, Android’s Home Journal and Kick the Baby Digest. His recently completed first novel, Soft Music, Candlelight and an Oil Can, is under consideration at major publishing houses, and he is currently at work on his latest novel. VOTE_BOT lives in Bumfuk, Egypt with his cats, Heckle and Jekyll, and his slutty girlfriend, Bambi. He’s always on the lookout for freelance writing opportunities and may be reached at [email protected].

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee thanks! Now I have something to go by. Although, I'm not sure my resume is as impressive as Vote Bot's.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'd like to be able to start sending it out within a week of the results' being announced.

How 'bout this... don't worry about it being polished yet, because you can definitely edit it once it's up. Just post something and we'll critique them.

Remember that the audience for the release is primarily agents and editors, so if you have any specific projects ready to pitch, make sure to mention them.

Here are some things to think about including. Obviously you don't need to include them all, but maybe this will give you a jumping-off point:

-Published credits
-Other contest wins/honors
-Genre/s you write
-Forms you write (screenplays? Novels? Articles?)
-Hometown
-Where you went to school
-Spouse/children
-Writing influences
-Writing goals
-How readers have described your work
-What you're currently working on
-Any interesting tidbits about you
-Media experience
-Memberships
-Website/e-mail

Please write this in third person.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm down to 217, but I can still see areas to condense. My "current projects" section alone is currently 86 words: 56 on my available MS and 30 on other current/future projects.

If I replace my first and middle names with initials (S.K.), that gives me another (net) nine character spaces to play with...

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
I've cut and cut to 156 words. Okay people help me rip out 76 words.

Freelance writer Joanne D. Kiggins, 52, of Economy, Pennsylvania, has placed fifth in the AbsoluteWrite.com Idol Writing Contest. An excerpt from her mystery suspense novel UNEARTHED she is currently writing placed her in the top ten finalists. Her co-authored romance novel UNFORGETTABLE JOURNEY placed fifth in the Grand Beginnings romance contest in March.

Kiggins had been published in newspapers and magazines including The Cleveland Plain Dealer, The Cleveland Press, The Beaver County Times, Maple Heights Press and Bedford Times Register, The Envoy, Woman’s Day, Byline Magazine, Writer’s Digest and e-zines AbsoluteWrite.com and Moondance.org. She taught at Slippery Rock University, has appeared on television and radio and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year in Beaver County, Pennsylvania.

She writes horror, mystery, suspense and romance. Kiggins is currently editing her horror novel ROADKILL to submit for publication. She has five completed novels and three more in progress. She can be contacted at [email protected].

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Fifth place winner, Joanne D. Kiggins has been published in The Cleveland Plain Dealer, The Cleveland Press, The Beaver County Times, Maple Heights Press, Bedford Times Register, The Envoy, Woman’s Day, Byline Magazine, Writer’s Digest, e-zines AbsoluteWrite.com and Moondance.org. She taught at Slippery Rock University and was 1990 Woman of the Year in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, where she resides.

Kiggins' current projects include a horror novel, ROADKILL. Her romance novel, UNFORGETTABLE JOURNEY, placed fifth in the Grand Beginnings contest. She can be contacted at ...

(if still too many words, might cut the mention of "Unforgetable journey" and some of the more minor publications)

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo Joanne! For being the first to take the plunge (and for having such an impressive bio).

Just two notes - I'd change "She had been published..." to "she has published in..." Makes it more current and knocks out a word at the same time ;)

Also, on seeing your e-mail address, I immediately thought "Google spider!" - You may want to edit your post.

I haven't figured out how to handle the e-mail address thing, because (at) looks strange to me; on the other hand, I don't want :Spam:. I might create a special account (and then hope that people actually contact me)

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
Here's mine. I'm within the word count, but I wonder if I'm giving enough info, or if I'm being too vague. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!:)

Darla Paskell is a writer with big goals and plenty of determination to achieve them. Her first short story will be coming out in Listen Magazine this fall. She’s currently working on Heartprints, her picture book manuscript, as well as submittals for her many other works. She loved the entire Absolute Write Idol competition, from the daunting deadlines and crazy camaraderie to the twisting tales and vote validations. She lives and works in small town Saskatchewan, with her supportive husband and adorable daughters. Darla is always eager to tackle new writing projects, and can be reached at [email protected].

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Do we need to mention that we were a finalist in the competition in the actual bio, or will there be something prefacing all of our bios, saying that each of us was a finalist?

Rhush

Slave to the metal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
How about this?

Becky Rhush is the 2005 winner of the "most promising" Write Spirit Award, a member of the Panhandle Professional Writers, and her story Seeing The Unseen was featured in the spring issue of The Lightning Journal.

Rhush’s current projects include several short stories and her action/adventure novel, A CHASE OF SECRETS.

"Becky is an up and coming writer who is in the next generation of top authors. Watch out for this one folks!" - Mark E. Deloy The Lightning Journal. Contact her at…

www.freewebs.com/rhush/index.htm