PDA

View Full Version : I got my flu shot yesterday...

rhymegirl
09-12-2009, 10:54 PM
And now my arm hurts like hell.

Is that normal?

spamwarrior
09-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Can you move it? I've had times when I've gotten my flu shot and my arm felt bruised. Very bruised.

rhymegirl
09-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Can you move it? I've had times when I've gotten my flu shot and my arm felt bruised. Very bruised.

Yes, I can move it. It just hurts a lot.

Wayne K
09-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Rub some dirt on it.

alleycat
09-12-2009, 10:59 PM
I've never had one hurt that much; no more than just a slight dull pain for a day after.

brainstorm77
09-12-2009, 11:01 PM
yes.

spamwarrior
09-12-2009, 11:07 PM
You can call the center that gave you the shot to inquire. At least you should be able to.

KellyAssauer
09-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I have it go all three ways (knock it off in the back!).

I've had my arm hurt like heck for a day or two after, had it not hurt at all, and had it hurt some before I ever got the shot... it just varies a lot between the experience level of the one giving the shot and your physical reaction to both the vaccine and injections in general. If it doesn't stop hurting a lot in 24, I'd make inquiries.

Sophia
09-12-2009, 11:30 PM
I've had my arm hurt like heck for a day or two after, had it not hurt at all, and had it hurt some before I ever got the shot...

Your arm can tell the future? Cool!

Does it do lottery numbers? :D

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Rub some dirt on it.

Then I'll get an infection.

I've never had one hurt that much; no more than just a slight dull pain for a day after.
I don't usually have much pain either.

You can call the center that gave you the shot to inquire. At least you should be able to.

I had it done at the doctor's office. They're closed all weekend.

alleycat
09-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Did it feel like maybe they hit a bone when you got it?

Now that I think about it, I think I've heard some of my friends complain that their arm hurts for a couple of days.

The firm I work for has someone come in every year and anyone who wants one can a flu shot for free. They said it would be at least late October before they could get the swine flu one . . . but they keep pushing the date back (at first they said mid October). I suspect it will be January before there's enough to go around.

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Did it feel like maybe they hit a bone when you got it?

Now that I think about it, I think I've heard some of my friends complain that their arm hurts for a couple of days.

The firm I work for has someone comes in every year and anyone who wants one can a flu shot for free. They said it would be at least late October before they could get the swine flu one . . . but they keep pushing the date back (at first they said mid October). I suspect it will be January before there's enough to go around.

Yeah, that's a possibility. One thing I've noticed is there is some pinkness on the middle of my upper arm. The shot was in the upper arm.

I was hoping there would be a medical person around AW who might be able to comment.

This shot was for the regular flu. No swine flu vaccine available yet.

alleycat
09-13-2009, 12:47 AM
If your arm falls off, go immediately to the hospital.

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 12:52 AM
If your arm falls off, go immediately to the hospital.

Gee thanks. You should be a doctor.

alleycat
09-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Gee thanks. You should be a doctor.
I'm not, but if your arm falls off I could probably design a dandy replacement using an ax handle and a garden trowel.

;-)

BenPanced
09-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Or a dough hook from a MixMaster! Then you can play Pirates!

regdog
09-13-2009, 01:21 AM
I've never had a flu shot, but when I had the Hepatitis B series my arm hurt like hell after the first shot. I could barely move it. The pain was less after each shot and by the third in the series the pain was localized to the injection site.

You best bet would be call either where you got the shot or your doctor to double check.

Here is some info from the CDC site

Why do some people not feel well after getting the flu shot?
The most common side effect of the flu vaccine in adults is soreness at the spot where the shot was given, which usually lasts less than two days. The soreness is often caused by a personís immune system making protective antibodies to the killed viruses in the vaccine. These antibodies are what allow the body to fight against flu. The needle stick may also cause some soreness at the injection site. According to the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), rare symptoms include fever, muscle pain, and feelings of discomfort or weakness. If these problems occur, they are very uncommon and usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days.

Palmfrond
09-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Regdog has got the true story.

Hepatitis B and tetanus shots almost always hurt quite a bit, usually the next day. Other vaccinations usually hurt less, but any might be quite sore depending on how near the local nerves are to the injection site.

alleycat
09-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Why do some people not feel well after getting the flu shot?
The most common side effect of the flu vaccine in adults is soreness at the spot where the shot was given, which usually lasts less than two days. Then your arm falls off.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I tried. Really, I did.

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 01:47 AM
Here is some info from the CDC site ...(quote) and ignore whatever alleycat says.

Thanks for the info!

I've decided to drink a few glasses of wine so I will feel no pain.

Silver King
09-13-2009, 04:03 AM
I haven't had any shots since I was vaccinated as a child. My mom said I cried a lot at the time, but I was a sissy back then.

Angie
09-13-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm not, but if your arm falls off I could probably design a dandy replacement using an ax handle and a garden trowel.

;-)

Or a dough hook from a MixMaster! Then you can play Pirates!

Ooh! Or a chainsaw, like Ash from Army of Darkness. :D

JoNightshade
09-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Yeah, it's totally normal. I got the flu shot last week and had the same reaction. Think of it this way: someone just stuck a needle in your muscle and pumped it full of an unfamiliar substance. It's different than getting blood taken, where they just tap into a vein and let some blood drain out. Personally, I prefer the latter. Oh well.

I was kinda ticked off after I got mine because they handed me the info on paper AS they were injecting me. I thought I was getting a swine flu shot... then I'm perusing the papers afterwards and I realize it's just a regular old flu shot which "WILL NOT PROTECT AGAINST H1N1." Gee, thanks, guys.

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 05:37 AM
I haven't had any shots since I was vaccinated as a child. My mom said I cried a lot at the time, but I was a sissy back then.

So you won't mind if I give you a flu shot. Right?

Silver King
09-13-2009, 05:45 AM
So you won't mind if I give you a flu shot. Right?
My bulging "Man of Steel" muscles might bend or break the needle, but you can try.

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 06:17 AM
My bulging "Man of Steel" muscles might bend or break the needle, but you can try.

Well, sometimes doctors give people a shot in the butt if necessary. ;)

KellyAssauer
09-13-2009, 06:22 AM
*Am I really going to wrestle all night with the idea of giving a fish an injection?*

*Might be better than you mumbling 'sissy-fish' to yourself for an hour and then giggling, I mean what if someone saw you?*

aadams73
09-13-2009, 06:34 AM

Yes, I was horrified to discover this some twelve years ago after a mortifying--and silly--incident that required me to have a tetanus shot.

I was suitably unimpressed.

Silver King
09-13-2009, 06:40 AM

*Am I really going to wrestle all night with the idea of giving a fish an injection?*
Those slippery and oft scaly buns are up for the challenge! Approach with caution first, please.

alleycat
09-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Those slippery and oft scaly buns are up for the challenge! Approach with caution first, please.
Well, at least they can't miss it.

cptwentworth
09-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Another thing to do would be to call your local pharmacist. I find that the one at our drugstore very politely answers those questions since they give shots at the pharmacy too, and they're usually open 24 hours so you can call any time.

Silver King
09-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Well, at least they can't miss it.
Do you mean to say my ass looks fat in this thread?

alleycat
09-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Do you mean to say my ass looks fat in this thread?
I wouldn't say that at all. I have heard that the post office is giving it its own zip code however.

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Another thing to do would be to call your local pharmacist. I find that the one at our drugstore very politely answers those questions since they give shots at the pharmacy too, and they're usually open 24 hours so you can call any time.

Good idea!

Silver King
09-13-2009, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't say that at all. I have heard that the post office is giving it its own zip code however.
In that case, it makes me feel big and important. :)

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 07:09 AM

Bend over.

Can a fish bend?

brokenfingers
09-13-2009, 07:40 AM
I've heard that's one of the first symptoms of Swine Flu IV.

I guess as long as you don't become stiff and pale and deathly looking, and develop a desire for human flesh, you're okay.

For now.

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I guess as long as you don't become stiff and pale and deathly looking, and develop a desire for human flesh, you're okay.

Well, now that you mention it...

bettielee
09-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Rhymegirl... are you still with us rhymegirl... has your arm suddenly desired to kill anyone or plot the takeover of a small country?

rhymegirl
09-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Rhymegirl... are you still with us rhymegirl... has your arm suddenly desired to kill anyone or plot the takeover of a small country?

It still hurts and is a little pink.