New bookconcept in The Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
LIke I said, printed the other way.

so you get a very mini version of a book and then you have to hold it in what probably feels a really unnatural way. I have an English word for that!
Superfluous. :)

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
That'll never catch on. It's printed in gibberish! :rolleyes

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of like it, actually. But then, I also prefer using notebooks that flip pages that way rather than side to side.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
smcc...lmao

I kind of like it. I can see where teens/young folks would use it like this. What with the IPods and such that are out. Interesting.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'll stick to the old way.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
It'll never catch on it's written in moon language.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Not a bad idea, but the concept doesn't work for really long books. They wouldn't fit in your pocket anymore.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeeeaahhh...I'd like to see how they'd handle the larger Harry Potter books, stuff from James Michener, ...And Ladies Of The Club..., monster books like those.

Reaction score
Why is this so innovative? What difference does it make to how portable books are?

Reaction score
That can be done the 'right' way up, can't it? Or am I being stupid?

Besides, if someone's worried about portability, they can buy an eBook reader.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
I can't see how it would reduce the size of the book but I'm liking the idea of it being able to lie perfectly flat. Why, of why are book spines so damn strong, and unbendy?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is that you can fit more words onto a page if you print in landscape rather than portrait format, so you're saving paper. Plus, if it lies flat, I'm guessing there is a new kind of binding being used. Overall, a more environmentally-friendly way of printing books.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
That can be done the 'right' way up, can't it? Or am I being stupid?

The smaller you go with the size of a normal vertical page, at some point the text is going to have to shrink unless you want only a couple of words per page. This technique, using two horizontal pages to essentially create one normal vertical page, mimics the page size of a regular paperback so the text size is more like one, too. But you can't fold a paperback in half and stick it in your pocket.

Of course, now you're also stacking every page on top of each other instead of reading them side-by-side, so the thickness of the book doubles. Not so good for books that are already pretty long.

I think it's a response to readers who want portability, but don't want to read on a screen. The technology/strain is still a concern for a lot of people.

Last edited:

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
I don't see any inherent reason why you'd fit more words on a page in landscape than in portrait. You might have a tiny bit fewer hyphenated words (fewer line breaks means fewer opportunities to hyphenate) but it wouldn't make much difference.

Some printing techniques require more white space in one direction or the other (depending on how the paper feeder "grabs" the paper), but it wouldn't make any difference in the overall amount of usable white space because you can feed the paper in the other direction anyhow. High speed printers usually feed the paper in the short direction and prints sideways anyhow.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
So really you're sacrificing spine thickness for page size?

As far as I can tell, yes, except it's probably more related to text size (readability) than page size. In the name of portability.

Unless they're still reducing text size on already-thick books to keep those spines thinner, but then if that's the case I guess I don't get the point.

ETA: I wonder if they sell longer books broken up into parts.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any inherent reason why you'd fit more words on a page in landscape than in portrait. You might have a tiny bit fewer hyphenated words (fewer line breaks means fewer opportunities to hyphenate) but it wouldn't make much difference.

The difference comes in if the paragraphs are justified, rather than hyphens being used. I don't know what the norm is with publishing, but I pulled several random books off my shelves, and all were justified, so at least it's probably not uncommon.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere around here (in a box or something) I have this book:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HB12HM/?tag=absolutewritedm-20
(gee, glad I didn't sell it when it was going for $20!)
Here's a pic of the cover:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/tag/Boys'+First+Book+of+Radio+and+Electronics
It's in that format.

Also, in searching for info on the above book, I found this spiral-bound book, also apparently in the vertical page format:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009F151O/?tag=absolutewritedm-20
IANAL, but it seems this would be enough to invalidate any such patent, or at least make it useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.