(Vent) I have a puppy. He is not a good puppy.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that my new puppy is the antichrist.

About 3 mos. ago I took my aging (16+) lab to the vet on Saturday morning. I hadn't had my coffee yet. The vet, who I know and like, mentioned that she had a puppy available for adoption. "Sure," I thought. "Why not? I've got four dogs already. What's one more?" The new puppy came home with me.

I did not adequately recall what a new puppy is capable of. The tally thus far:

1. $1500 worth of A/V equipment. (Urine and chewing)
2. 1 pair of glasses. (Admittedly somewhat scratched and in need of replacement)
3. $4000+ in vet bills. The new puppy noticed that the old lab's pills smelled like treats. The new puppy pulled the bottle of pills off the counter and split it with the weimeraner stray. I found the empty bottle. Unable to determine which of my darlings had partaken of the forbidden fruit, I paid the emergency vet for all 5 of them to be de-toxed. (Admittedly, this was my fault. I should have foreseen this and put the pills in a safety deposit box at a bank. Nonetheless, I remain irritated.)
4. One loveseat. It was getting a bit old, but still.
5. 83 books. Possibly still readable once they dry out, but stinky. The number is accurate. I counted before I made this post.
6. Another pair of glasses (about 1h ago). Evidently the first pair was quite tasty so he went back for seconds.

I will not pretend that this is anything other than a naked and shameless plea for encouragement. Please tell me that I am a good person because I have thus far restrained the urge to kill New Puppy.

Thank you in advance for any support you might care to offer.

StirFry3-512.jpg

Figure 1: Weapons Grade Evil

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're a saint for putting up with that, actually.

Does that help? No? Here, have a cookie and a :Hug2:, then. :)

LittleFlowerLei

Reverse psychologist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that my new puppy is the antichrist.

About 3 mos. ago I took my aging (16+) lab to the vet on Saturday morning. I hadn't had my coffee yet. The vet, who I know and like, mentioned that she had a puppy available for adoption. "Sure," I thought. "Why not? I've got four dogs already. What's one more?" The new puppy came home with me.

I did not adequately recall what a new puppy is capable of. The tally thus far:

1. $1500 worth of A/V equipment. (Urine and chewing)
2. 1 pair of glasses. (Admittedly somewhat scratched and in need of replacement)
3. $4000+ in vet bills. The new puppy noticed that the old lab's pills smelled like treats. The new puppy pulled the bottle of pills off the counter and split it with the weimeraner stray. I found the empty bottle. Unable to determine which of my darlings had partaken of the forbidden fruit, I paid the emergency vet for all 5 of them to be de-toxed. (Admittedly, this was my fault. I should have foreseen this and put the pills in a safety deposit box at a bank. Nonetheless, I remain irritated.)
4. One loveseat. It was getting a bit old, but still.
5. 83 books. Possibly still readable once they dry out, but stinky. The number is accurate. I counted before I made this post.
6. Another pair of glasses (about 1h ago). Evidently the first pair was quite tasty so he went back for seconds.

I will not pretend that this is anything other than a naked and shameless plea for encouragement. Please tell me that I am a good person because I have thus far restrained the urge to kill New Puppy.

Thank you in advance for any support you might care to offer.

StirFry3-512.jpg

xD Trust me dude, I feel your pain. although mine is more of the feline voriaty (Chases me up and down the stairs, tries to make me fall down the stairs, hides under the coffee table and attacks my legs when I walk by (and its even worse when I'm wearing my shorts) and is pretty much hitler Reincarnate) so no, you're not a bad person for wanting to kill the new puppy. Hellz, I wanted to throw my cat out on the street and say "THERE! SEE WHO WILL FEED YOUR ASS NOW!" but I remember all the times when he's a sweetie pie and its impossible to hate him.

cute doggie pic btw. A little bigger breed than I'd prefer, but still cute :3

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes. You have a real trouble-maker on your hands. But he/she is cute, at least. Adawrable.

And I thought my dog peeing on the carpet once a week was bad.

Encouragement:
You are a very good person. And you will some day be rewarded. And I don't think this can go on forever. And maybe this will provide inspiration for your next great literary work. Hey, it paid of for the guy who wrote Marley and Me :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Oh dear. Puppies are difficult. Consider yourself commiserated with. o.0

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
No sympathy whatsoever.

We had three dogs. We fostered a fourth, who turned out to have a seizure disorder and behavioral problems. (Read, liked to bite people. She originally lived on the streeet with a homeless woman who was a substance abuser encouraged her to be aggressive toward strangers)

Not surprisingly, we couldn't find a home for her and ended up with four dogs. Three dogs, four dogs, what does it matter? And guess what -- three dogs is a breeze compared to four dogs. And five dogs? Are you insane?

Not to mention if you have four dogs, then you already knew (or should have) that puppies are ten times more difficult than grown dogs. Puppies are satanic creatures, ejected from the nether regions because they are too difficult and the devil couldn't handle the stress.

BTW, you no longer have "dogs." You have a pack.

PS -- one year after getting our problem dog she's now well behaved, a real sweetie, and although she'll always be somewhat damaged, has lost all her aggressive behaviors. (Except for skateboarders, and I understand that)

But yeah, I do actually feel for you, I admit.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
First, your furbaby is adorable. :D

I have a five and a half month old puppy and no longer have two pairs of flip-flops, one pair of sunglasses, and my favorite pair of heels that I wear to and from work have several puppy-teeth indentations. Not to mention the countless rolls of toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, junk mail (well, I wasn't sorry to see that chewed up), and several cat toys. We have tons of stuff for him to chew on, but he prefers to find his own 'toys'. I am lucky in that my boy, Kane, is incredibly smart and well-behaved in everything else.

You have my sympathies.

Last edited:

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Sit it down and tell it you believe neutering is a valid form of punishment for a dog. If that doesn't work, neuter it. Because you can't have the dogs thinking you won't follow through on your threats.

Of course if it's already neutered there's really no place worse to go for it, so it may as well keep peeing on your stuff. You know, from the puppy's perspective.

*would make a great puppy*

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Or watch the Dog Whisperer, that helps a lot too :)

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
thank you so much for this post. I was considering adopting a little Chocolate Lab that had been dumped. you saved me the headache.;)
sorry about all the damage.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
thank you so much for this post. I was considering adopting a little Chocolate Lab that had been dumped. you saved me the headache.;)
sorry about all the damage.

Awww. No. In all seriousness, I think New Puppy is a generally positive event in my life. He's a good little dude. I'd adopt him again, I just needed to vent.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
You deserve :2angel: wings, so here they are too. Very cute puppy. Bet he'll be good soon. :) Hope so, anyway.

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
So what is new Puppy's name, other than Destructo Dog? ;)

He answers to GODDAMNIT, STOP CHEWING ON THAT!!! Another option is "Stir Fry". (He was found outside a Korean restaurant, and I'm not in the best of moods.) But the vet tech who nursed him from the age of 2d called him Rafiki, and that will probably stick.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
He answers to GODDAMNIT, STOP CHEWING ON THAT!!! Another option is "Stir Fry". (He was found outside a Korean restaurant, and I'm not in the best of moods.) But the vet tech who nursed him from the age of 2d called him Rafiki, and that will probably stick.
I'm sorry. But I just have to say,

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark

Awwww...Rafiki. How cute! kane is named after a movie character as well, although Alien is a far cry from a Disney movie.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
There is nothing you can do about the evil. I know. I live with a four footed feline made of teh evil. Just continue to hate yourself, and find a urine-free corner to huddle in. You've got about 2 more years of this. Live with the hope that it won't be three.

Sorry. You seem like such a nice mod.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I think Stir Fry is a good option. Our first cat thought his name was 'no bites' because we said that to him so many times.

In Dec '69 my Dad (who was getting ready to leave for a tour in Viet Nam) gifted us with a three month old beagle puppy. The sum total of the stuff she devoured would take an hour to type out. By the time he got back, she was all trained, so he missed all the good stuff. But we all survived, and they had that dog till she was 14 and a half.

MM

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
You have to wonder whether your 'friend' the vet knew about your puppy's shortcomings. Why did Rafiki become available for adoption in the first place?

In any case, the vet might be able to offer some ideas - about toilet training as well as general behavior. All I can think of is to run him ragged outside as often as possible. Do you have a yard? Can you keep him outside? 83 books...

He is beautiful, by the way. And you are very patient. St Francis of Assisi would be proud of you:)