POV Within Family (Possible Dumb Question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMagic528

Master of the Darklands :-)
Registered
Reaction score
So, if you're switching POV from mother to daughter - and you want the narration to reflect that - how would you change the narration?

More simply: What differences would you expect in voice when changing POV between mother and daughter? How much similarity would you expect, and how much difference would you expect?

If it matters:

Mother's age is 2,500+ (Ancient Egyptian)

Daughter's age is Mother's age minus 20-ish in reality, but due to circumstances beyond the scope of this question, she's basically 15, has been 15 the whole time, and will stay 15.

Sorry if it's a stupid question. :) I get neurotic sometimes.

Juliette Wade

Interprets for aliens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
I think if you know the characters well, and the difference between their personal histories and their psychological issues, that will be (or should be) reflected in their narrative voices and help to make them different. Do they have any serious disagreements or grudges they hold onto from long ago? Does the daughter still have to be well behaved around the mother even though they're thousands of years old? There are lots of possibilities.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
I think switching between the voices of two characters would work the same, regardless of the characters' relationships. If you feel that their 'voices' are too similar, try some exercises writing from the perspective of each, until you get a real feel for how they sound. Then go from there.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.