police corruption question

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This question is about a chair that is used by hopefully very few police departments. It is to strap naked prisoners in, It is black and has some sort of plastic covering. There are straps attached to each arm and each front leg of the chair to strap the prisoner in. It is shaped like an armchair but sits very low to the ground. The police strapped the prisoner to the chair and proceeded to beat him up because he wouldn't answer their questions. I need to know if anyone has ever seen one of these chairs or know what it is called. I've seen one once, on tape of this particular prisoner being beat while strapped to the chair. It was caught on the security camera. It is for a very important to the scene I am working on now.

Thanks
Jane

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need to know if anyone has ever seen one of these chairs or know what it is called.
Jane

Jane, I've seen the chair on a TV "reality" show called Jail; however, prisoners restrained in it were not naked, although the woman being strapped into it had been tearing off her clothing while kicking sheriff's officers. According to the detention people I see at the shooting range, almost every jail of any size has more than one.

Here's a photo of one model they call a "prisoner restraint chair":

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/?p=670

I'm sure there are abuses, but the purpose of the chair is safely restrain unruly prisoners from harming themselves and others.

Last edited:

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chase
Thank you so much. I can finish the scene now. Much appreciated.
Jane

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This question is about a chair that is used by hopefully very few police departments. It is to strap naked prisoners in, It is black and has some sort of plastic covering. There are straps attached to each arm and each front leg of the chair to strap the prisoner in. It is shaped like an armchair but sits very low to the ground. The police strapped the prisoner to the chair and proceeded to beat him up because he wouldn't answer their questions. I need to know if anyone has ever seen one of these chairs or know what it is called. I've seen one once, on tape of this particular prisoner being beat while strapped to the chair. It was caught on the security camera. It is for a very important to the scene I am working on now.

Thanks
Jane

The following link is to a Progressive Magazine online article that provides a lot of interesting information. There's also a book called Police Interrogation and American Justice that goes into great detail about the history of how police confessions have been obtained. I can't remember offhand if the author specifically mentioned the restraint chair, but I found the book useful in recreating a fictional police beating of a suspect.

http://www.progressive.org/mag_cusacchair