Cats and Kittens Magazine

Mihoshi

Registered
Reaction score
hoo.Has anyone ever worked with this magazine, or Pet Publishing in general? I put in for an article query that was promptly rejected (not a big deal since it happens all the time). But what disturbs me is that the article was for a Munchkin breed profile and the editor made a highly rude remark about the breed saying she would never use them in Cats and Kittens. Now, this isn't a man made breed, it's been around for a good while, and there are thousands of owners worldwide; so I don't quite understand why the editor would act so replused by the idea of a breed profile. She did come across as though she just personally didn't like them, and that would be descrimination in my book. This is a poor attitude to have when you're the editor of three animal publications.

I am personally going to boycott Pet Publishing, and forward her e-mail around to some Munchkin breeders since it was so uncalled for when a simple "no thanks" would have covered the issue completely. Has anyone else had a good/bad experience with Pet Publishing?

Last edited:

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mihoshi,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Cats and Kittens/Pet Publishing. I've never worked with them, but have published several articles about dogs with other magazines.

Just my two cents -- I'd think twice about forwarding an angry e-mail to other Munchkin breeders/guardians. It's possible the editor just had a bad day or, hey, maybe she really doesn't like the breed. Maybe it's something else.

No matter what the reason, I'd try querying the editor again with a different angle. It's not a bad idea to rework the query for other cat magazines, too. After all, your goal is to expand the appreciation of the breed, right? Give yourself (and Munchkins) every opportunity to succeed, and you most likely will.

Good luck!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Gee, Mihoshi, I'm sorry you had such an upsetting experience. But Rose has given you some very good advice. Give your emotions a little time to cool off and heal before sending any sort of angry e-mail. In the long run, that could cause some not-so-good vibes.

I'm not familiar with Cats and Kittens, but I am familar with the editor (I've written for Pet Publishing's bird publication). Sometimes she seems a bit abrupt but that could be because she's so very busy. At any rate, do send the article to another cat specialty magazine. If you have pictures, too, maybe you should include them with your article. That might increase your chances of a sale.

Best of luck with it!

Mihoshi

Registered
Reaction score
I do agree that I need to cool off. I have some very close Munchkin friends and that was just completely uncalled for in my opinion.

The second half of my problem with her comment is that I had several queries on breed profiles in that e-mail. The other two breeds of cats she simply said a "No thank you" and "We've already ran those profiles," but she went out of her way to say she wouldn't print ANYTHING on the Munchkin by anyone. I wouldn't be upset at all if it was simply that she didn't like my query or my perspective on it (that happens, no big deal, and yes I will query other magazines about it), but how she chose to respond was very disrespectful to the breed. It's unprofessional for anyone in the Cat Fancy world to exclude a breed.

But if I'm understanding her line of "I'm not interested in ever publishing anything on the munchkin" correctly (how else can I take it), then she just doesn't like them. Again, if she had said "at this time I'm not interested" or just said no thanks like she did for the others I wouldn't be upset. But never? There are only so many breeds to go around and all the other major cat mags have used the Munchkin. She's free to have her own opion, but that doesn't mean the magazine should ignore the breed because she dislikes it - I run a photography studio that works with mostly cats, I hate Persians and Sphynx, I would never own one, but I'd never refuse one who came to my studio for pictures, that would just be silly.

Last edited:

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Off topic, but what is a Munchkin? I've never heard of munchkin cats.

Mihoshi

Registered
Reaction score
They are a natural breed of cat that was discover in Germany in 1944. I guess they would be the equivelant to the Cardigan Welsh Corgi - they have short legs with long bushy tails. They've been eligable for Championship status in most registries since the 1980s, so they're new for cats, but if you think about it the Bengals were developed around in the same time period. www.kittyantics.com has pictures on their cattery area (Shortstuff's) if you want to look.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mihoshi. I checked out the link. . .interesting.

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mihoshi,

I have worked with the editor at Cats & Kittens and she is very direct, straight forward and not one to chit chat, unlike other editors I have worked with like at Cat Fancy who are lovely folks.

I can understand your torment at her comments, but agree with the other writers comments for you NOT to respond.

Animal publications are limited enough without taking out three that cover birds, dogs and cats, just because of a comment made by the editor.

Just pitch it somewhere else and see it as her loss and your gain.

Reece

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a story that was accepted by the editor and for 2 l/2 years waited for it to be published. Finally, I wrote her and asked if it would be published and she wrote back saying that my story wouldn't be used... I just expected her to say what issue it might be used in after all that time. What a disappointment, but I've moved on and certainly won't send anything else to her. Sorry that happened with your article, Mihoshi.

Mihoshi

Registered
Reaction score
I did wait about a day and a half to cool off, but I ultimately forwarded the exact e-mail (mine and the editors response) to the president of the breed council, my exact words "Maybe I'm over reacting, but please look at this and give me your thoughts." It is a big deal by TICA's standards, mostly because the editor went out of her way to insult Munchkins.

Apparently, there are false rumors about the health of the breed that may account for the editors reaction, which I know from experience is unfounded lies. I was also informed that Cats & Kittens magazine has mutalated the adds of Munchkin breeders repeatedly without any reasoning (replacing pictures, changing URLS and phone numbers, etc) while other breeder adds would remain untouched. This is even more horrendous considering 1) those breeders are paying for those adds, and 2) the adds are in a format that you only have to scan them in or open a file, they don't need to be edited like that.

A person under the disguise of a cat generalist should not be allowed to cross out established breeds. I'm not talking about the subject as someone whose query was rejected, but as someone in the cat fancy who works with a minority breed herself. I wouldn't touch Pet Publishing with a 40 foot pole, just as I knowingly wouldn't work for a member of the KKK, breed with someone who sells their animals to pet stores, or other such types of people I wouldn't want to be associated with. My priciples and doing what I feel is the "right" thing have to stand above all else, and, in my opinion, no article or amount of money is worth throwing that in the toilet.

Last edited: