Synopsis --Start In Media Res Like the Story It's Outlining, Or No?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The story I'm finishing up begins in media res. As far as the synopsis, might it be better to start with the back story and then join the action where the book starts -- in other words, write the synopsis as if the book starts at the beginning of the story -- or start the synopsis in media res also, if that makes any sense?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I wouldn't clutter up the synopsis with backstory. The synopsis is supposed to tell your novel, as written, in a succinct and brief manner. If your novel doesn't start with the backstory, don't start your synopsis this way.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe a synopsis has to relate events in chronological order -if that is the question- and if not relating main plot thread events in chronological order leads to a clearer synopsis -so be it.

ETA. The question was on backstory - apologies -my error.

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Think back flap copy- you want to entice a request for a partial or full...The shorter the better...

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
So in a lot of ways, like a query?

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No -a synopsis is not like a query. I didn't think it was like back-flap copy either.

The Query letter hopefully produces a request for the manuscript and perhaps a synopsis. Sometimes the submission requirements are that a synopsis be sent along with the Query letter but they are not the same animal - unless there is a terminology mix-up here.

As I understand it, the synopsis covers all main plot events and is to show one has constructed a main story plot thread with main characters, a beginning, a middle, and an end.

So in a lot of ways, like a query?

Last edited:

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I might post both versions on the Share Your Work thread, though I have a feeling I've overthought this sort of thing again.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing a little research on how to write a novel synopsis, and as far as I can tell there is no industry standard, it seems to depend on what individual agents and editors want.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
A synopsis is a synopsis is a synopsis.

I assume you included this gem of a thread in your research.

During said research, I found various suggestions as to proper length of a synopsis, proper format, proper approach.... For example, do you include dialogue? Do you render the name of a character in all caps the first time it appears? I found varying advice.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Follow the link - it will give you far better information than random blogs and hits on the internet.

Sorry -seem to have omitted the link from my above post. My apologies. Now added it and -here it is, too.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84990

During said research, I found various suggestions as to proper length of a synopsis, proper format, proper approach.... For example, do you include dialogue? NO Do you render the name of a character in all caps the first time it appears? It makes the name stand out, but if you don't, I doubt the synopsis and manuscript will be automatically rejected I found varying advice.

Last edited:

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Follow the link - it will give you far better information than random blogs and hits on the internet.

Sorry -seem to have omitted the link from my above post. My apologies. Now added it and -here it is, too.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84990

My only point was that there seems to be more than one way to do these things. Mr. Jameson, in the above thread, acknowledges that, though he does go on to lay out a general approach.

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
# INFODUMPING: By the same token, relating some backstory via an infodump is acceptable (Ref 3b). Be cautious here! Don't overestimate the amount of information required. Brief is still better. However, a concise summary of required backstory, in the appropriate place, is fine.
# CHRONOLOGY: Don't tie the events in your synopsis to the book, tie it to the story. You don't need to follow events in chronological order, or in the order they are presented in your book (Ref 15d, Ref 15f). The synopsis is a different format, so present events in whichever order makes the story clearest. Clarity, remember?

These are the two questions I'm wrestling with. How much info to give and should my synopsis tie to the events of the story or to the order in which the story presents them. I'm starting to see it comes down to which type of synopsis would make a better read for the prospective agent.