Obama's Health Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i've been incredibly disappointed with the level of discourse surrounding this issue, so here's hoping obama ends the debacle tonight.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
This is my favorite part of his speech:

In the opening:
"Instead of honest debate, we have seen scare tactics."

In his conclusion:
"Everyone in this room knows what will happen if we do nothing. Our deficit will grow. More families will go bankrupt. More businesses will close. More Americans will lose their coverage when they are sick and need it most. And more will die as a result. We know these things to be true."

Scare tactics, indeed.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Where'd you find the transcript? I can't find it online yet.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
This is my favorite part of his speech:

In the opening:
"Instead of honest debate, we have seen scare tactics."

In his conclusion:
"Everyone in this room knows what will happen if we do nothing. Our deficit will grow. More families will go bankrupt. More businesses will close. More Americans will lose their coverage when they are sick and need it most. And more will die as a result. We know these things to be true."

Scare tactics, indeed.
What is untrue about those statements?

I define scare tactics as telling untruths or twisting the truth in order to raise fear for an agenda that can't be achieved through rational means. If what Obama said there was untrue or twisting the truth then he's using scare tactics. Otherwise, he's not.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
What is untrue about those statements?

I define scare tactics as telling untruths or twisting the truth in order to raise fear for an agenda that can't be achieved through rational means. If what Obama said there was untrue or twisting the truth then he's using scare tactics. Otherwise, he's not.

There are better ways to motivate a people than to tell them all the ways disobeying will harm them.

"We choose to go to the moon, because if we do not, the Soviets will build a big ass missile silo there!" -- This was not JFK's speech.

"I have a nightmare. Where white crackers hang us people of exceptional pigment and shoot us in the streets, and it will never get better until we all get along." -- This was not MLK's speech.

"Our deficit will grow. More families will go bankrupt. More businesses will close. More Americans will lose their coverage when they are sick and need it most. And more will die as a result." -- This *WAS* BHO's speech.

Last edited:

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
There are better ways to motivate a people than to tell them all the ways disobeying will harm them.

"We choose to go to the moon, because if we do not, the Soviets will build a big ass missile silo there!" -- This was not JFK's speech.

"I have a nightmare. Where *horrible word removed* hang us *another horrible word removed* and shoot us in the streets, and it will never get better until we all get along." -- This was not MLK's speech.

"Our deficit will grow. More families will go bankrupt. More businesses will close. More Americans will lose their coverage when they are sick and need it most. And more will die as a result." -- This *WAS* BHO's speech.
Um, are we reading the same transcript?

Last edited:
Reaction score
He better explain EXACTLY what the f the reform will be instead of the same ridiculous Obama talk we've been hearing for months.

Please no public option.

Reform.

Not revolution.

Thank you.

Reaction score
P.S. I can't believe he's going to be on TV AGAIN.

Can some network just give him the 10PM slot and be done with it?

I can't take it.

I'm really getting bored with him.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Maybe he could come on after "Showtime at the Apollo" on Saturday.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
she's taken.

oh wait, no she's not.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
why does rahm emanuel keep just sliding out his chair like a fresh egg noodle?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are you watching, Haskins? All I can see are two dudes standing by a door, looking over the crowd. I'm feeling robbed.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
my opening commentary:

obama's best chance with the right and center-right is to not mention the public option, or mention it in muted and non-committal tones.

for many on the left, however, a robust endorsement of the public option is the litmus test for not being a sellout.

this is fine political theatre, and watch obama handle it just deftly enough so that he can get the media arguing about how he said it, whether he said it.

pragmatism, in other words, loses him fans on the left and wins him none on the right.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
My big problem is that now it's considered "wasting time" to debate the issue...it's either his way or the highway.

I do like the idea now that the President is laying it on opponents to get alternative plans passed. Ah, politics...

I have to wonder whether we'll get the same 15-minute time frame as the schools got yesterday...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
anyone think he'll address the fact that all 5 plans currently have fines for those who don't purchase insurance?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's preaching to the choir, I think. I'm faintly squicked out by this speech so far, and I don't know why,except for that feeling he's not really trying to inform folks, but rather. Well. I'll keep listening.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there some kind of springboard under Pelosi's seat that keeps launching her to her feet? Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.