Sticky wording in submission description

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
The submissions page for Writer's House reads: *

Please send us a query letter of no more than two pages, which includes your credentials, an explanation of what makes your book unique and special, and a synopsis.

Would you take this to mean a query that includes a synopsis within it, or a query + a separate synopsis (which may go beyond the 2 pages of the query)?

I'm thinking it's the first one (a query that incorporates a brief synopsis within it) but I wanted a second opinion in case I'm reading this wrong.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The submissions page for Writer's House reads: *

Please send us a query letter of no more than two pages, which includes your credentials, an explanation of what makes your book unique and special, and a synopsis.

Would you take this to mean a query that includes a synopsis within it, or a query + a separate synopsis (which may go beyond the 2 pages of the query)?

I'm thinking it's the first one (a query that incorporates a brief synopsis within it) but I wanted a second opinion in case I'm reading this wrong.

I take (and took) "synopsis" to refer to the pitch part of the query, not a separate synopsis.

~suki

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I take it to mean to include your short synopsis in the query.

And please don't confuse unique with special. (-;

Maddening isn't it?

Danthia

I read that to mean a basic query. The synopsis would be the hook. I can't remember if Writer's House does non-fiction or not, but this could refer more to that than to novels. You'd need more info in a non-fic query.

I don't think you could go wrong if you send a solid one-page query with a strong hook.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Look at The Queryshark for examples.
Queryshark.blogspot.com