Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I've been watching the objections to Obama addressing school kids, and seeing the controversy around school district administrations who actually circumvented school boards and forbade teachers from showing the Obama back-to-school broadcast, and I find I'm wondering some things. A LOT of things, actually.

Where are the lines between mindless jingoism, patriotism, and conscientious objection? How do we teach people to love their country, work to improve their government, but not to be xenophobic bastards?

And then I was watching Rugcat and Pilot in another thread -- both of whom are members I have a great deal of respect and liking for, regardless of various ideologic differences of opinion with each of 'em.

I'm going to quote two specific posts, because in my mind they very much illustrate the dynamic tension I'm wanting to discuss:

I'd of bet my last nickel on that post. :D I've been trying to hold the length of my posts down since I gave Zoombie a headache earlier.

I grew up in the 40s and 50s, Blacbird. I was referring to the values that existed at that time. Sort of the old Superman saying, "Truth, Justice and the American Way". Family units where mom stayed at home and raised the kids, simplistic religious beliefs, apple pie and Sundays in the park. An innocent population that was still ecstatic over the victory of WW II. Saturday matinées with Roy Rogers, no television or Wi (or whatever that's called), telephones that you picked up and got an operator because there were no dials. Folks that paid their bills and pledged allegiance to the flag. If I hadn't lived it, it would be difficult to believe such a time ever existed. But it did. Very technologically inferior, but that wasn't all bad, IMO. After all, they did have airplanes. :D

There were some great things about that time -- mostly, in my mind, because there were fewer people and a natural environment that has almost vanished today.

But if we take off the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia, we can see it was indeed a great time -- but only for some people. Segregation was the order of the day in the south, and de facto segregation in the north. The idea of a black man being president, or even governor, was laughable. Blacks either knew their place or paid the price -- sometimes fatally.

Mom indeed stayed at home -- she had little choice. There was no room for women in the business world. A female bank president? You might as well look for hen's teeth.

Domestic violence cases? It was a man's right to slap around the little woman if she got uppity with him. Police didn't get involved in private matters.

Gay people? If you were outed, you lost everything -- if you were lucky enough to stay out of prison.

Yes, life was good -- for some.

And when look back in fondness and say "true blue Americans," aren't you unconsciously thinking, "people like me?"

In 1974, I started first grade. I'd skipped kindergarten, so it was the first time I'd ever been around a bunch of kids my age -- and the first time I was expected to spend entire days under the supervision of adults not personally known and familiar.

My first-grade teacher, who was a complete termagant, in many ways, was all aflutter about the American presidency. Unbeknownst to me, because I was six years old and the news program my dad watched was after my bedtime, Richard Nixon had resigned barely a month before, and Gerald Ford was sworn into office. So we spent a rather significant portion of each day talking about the presidency, and learning the names of our new president, vice-president, and so on. We spent a not insignificant amount of time just hearing about how the American political system worked, in very general terms -- and that it was VERY IMPORTANT for us to learn about it, because some day we'd be voters, and an informed citizenry was crucial to the preservation of the republic.

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

"... whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government; that, whenever things get so far wrong as to attract their notice, they may be relied on to set them to rights..." (Letter to Dr. Price, January 8, 1789

In another letter, Jefferson wrote:
"If a Nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.... f we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." (Letter to Colonel Charles Yancey, January 6, 1816)

And the Good Lord knows, Mrs. Moffatt impressed on all of us that we had a duty and a responsibility to inform ourselves, to ask questions, to compare different answers, and to make our decisions about our country and our government from as informed and educated a place as it was within our personal power to achieve. And, you know, until just recently, I would never have mentioned her as especially influential or important to me, she certainly wasn't my favorite teacher -- but by golly, here I am, and so here we all are in this forum, because she impressed on me that I had a duty, a responsibility, and a moral obligation.

Now, ironically, that lesson took for me in ways that I'm sure she never could have forseen. Those were the days before email, HuffPo, or Fox News. Certainly those were the days before anything like what we have here. And we didn't watch the earlier evening news at my house, because my mother hated the Vietnam death-count they read every night.

And for me, personally? I very much took Mrs. Moffatt's lesson to heart. It's why I'm here. It's why this forum is here.

I mentioned all this to a close friend, this morning, though. She responded that she's pretty sure they don't do that sort of thing in school any more. Which explained the Obama-address situation, in part, because I'd been completely mystified as to what the problem was with telling kids "This is the POTUS. We didn't all vote for him, we don't all agree with him, but that's actually part of what makes this country great! See, here's how America works..."

My question, then, is what ARE we teaching our first graders about their government, and about their responsibilities as citizens?

The Federalist Papers are online, by the way, and if you're an American or just interested in American politics, you should read this.

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
My question, then, is what ARE we teaching our first graders about their government, and about their responsibilities as citizens?

Excellent post, btw. It explains why you are the rulerz and we lick the jack boots.

On to the topic, I wonder this very thing. I don't have a child in the school system and I worry all the time about the state of education. For our little rural part of the world, I think we are lucky to be able to filter out some of the nonsense, but I still feel as though I will have my work cut out for me in raising my girls to be caring, compassionate and responsible citizens.

And I see so many parents who I believe won't put in the time or effort to do the same. And then I see those that will. But it's a coin toss really.

As a society, we've started to be so sensitive, so offended, and so busy trying to be PC to play CYA that the bigger picture is lost. My cousin's wife is all over Facebook, responding to some poll that them broadcasting the POTUS's speech without parental consent was something terribly wrong and this was why she was homeschooling her children.

I kind of did the arched eyebrow What? thing to that because I see it as a valuable learning opportunity to raise a valuable discussion with children. Kids aren't slow and stupid. To spend time sanitizing their environment for every. little. thing. is beyond silly.

In short, Mac, I don't have a clue.

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
This is an interesting point for discussion, Mac.

I think the furor about Obama's speech to school kids is a strong reflection of the division that our increasingly embittered partisan political system has engendered. I remember Reagan's speech to students, an no one gave a damn about it. He was the President. *shrug* We thought it was pretty cool. The parents didn't care either. It was understood that he wouldn't be trying to indoctrinate seven year olds into the conservative mindset.

But now things are different. And sure--I know someone out there is going to shriek in self-righteous indignation, "IT'S ONLY THE CONSERVATIVES WHO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS! THEY'RE JUST MAD BECAUSE MC CAIN LOST!" Well, phtooey. That's not the case. If George W. Bush had decided to address American schoolchildren during his administration, the squalling would have been just as loud. The political atmosphere has fragmented since the eighties, splitting the electorate into such vicious factions that any and all actions from either side are viewed with skepticism, anger and sometimes just plain protest. I think Americans are more aware of the manipulation that characterizes partisan politics--and I'm talking about the mainstream, middle of the road America that swings from party to party and determines our political ideology in four-year chunks. Moderates no longer trust either side completely--and if you add that to the fervent extremists on both sides of the aisle, it can lead to somewhat puzzling protests and accusations.

So what are we teaching our kids about government? Well, judging from some of the young ones around here, we're not teaching them much. Throughout my daughters' journeys in the public school system, they've been taught everything from how wrong the Republicans are to how wrong the Democrats are and very little about how they got there in the first place. One daughter didn't learn about the Bill of Rights until high school, when I sat down and taught it to her myself. (And no, before anyone casts aspersions upon her intelligence--she scored in the top .1% of graduating seniors in the state of Ohio on her proficiency tests the day AFTER she moved up here from Kentucky) They were taught that the US is a democracy, learning little or nothing about the electoral college. Most of what they learned about politics came from taped media broadcasts about the elections, brought into class and shown on TV. It's hard for me to identify precisely what they were taught because my girls learned quite a bit at home from me. However, I do remember the outrage I felt about the above examples--a severe enough outrage that I paid visits to teachers on several occasions. (One of my daughter's teachers said quite snidely, "If you think you can teach this better, be my guest." *shrug* I set the day and taught political structure for an hour. She apologized in the hall after I was done.)

I don't think it's the fault of the teachers. I think our educators are hampered by the restrictions placed upon them by our politicians, quite frankly. We've spent a lot of time over the past quarter century censoring what our children are exposed to in school. We're reaping the ramifications of that now. Add a splintered political atmosphere to the situation and it quickly gets explosive. Give the country a charismatic young President (who is visible to a lot of these kids through Chia-Obama pets and Obama sneakers and the mass marketing of the Presidential office) known for his rhetorical power and the last thing his political opposition wants is for him to address their children.

So all these children have to base their opinions on is a flawed process of teaching government and civics, the media visibility of not only the President but the points of view of those vehemently opposed to his policies, and a vague understanding of what makes Obama so special to our country. What does that give us?

Another generation of American voters who have been forcefed so many political premises and ideologies that by the time they're old enough to register, they're either firmly in a partisan camp or so disinterested that they'd rather play video games than take a few minutes out of their year to make their voices heard among their elected officials.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
It took us a while to learn about the government, but it was actually a required course in middle school for us. We also learned basic law and such.

My daughter learned about voting during the Obama campaign and her class got to learn about the candidates, what they were saying, they followed certain speeches in class and on voting day, she and her class mates got to vote for the president. They were part of the election, the little line of 6 year olds with bright faces.

Last year, they wrote letters to the president and the teacher mailed it off. This year they're going to listen to the president address them and their classes and teachers will talk to them about it.

Teaching about the government isn't dead everywhere.

ETA: I actually remember reading the constitution and bill of rights in class as early as 3rd grade. My kids actually have brought home a copy of each as well.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
One way not to achieve balance is to promote only the Federalist papers, and ignore the Anti-Federalists entirely. Just sayin'... :D

And GWB did address the school children, and there were howls about it. Hearings were even held on the ~$27,000 cost of the performance.

Finally, if you want to understand the issue with education, there's no better explanation that I've found than this one by John Taylor Gatto, thrice New York City Teacher of the Year, once New York State Teacher of the Year, before he chucked it all after 29 years. This essay is a short examination of the topic, but I recommend at least the prologue and the first couple chapters of the full treatment.
And the more I asked why not, and persisted in thinking about the "problem" of schooling as an engineer might, the more I missed the point: What if there is no "problem" with our schools? What if they are the way they are, so expensively flying in the face of common sense and long experience in how children learn things, not because they are doing something wrong but because they are doing something right? Is it possible that George W. Bush accidentally spoke the truth when he said we would "leave no child behind"? Could it be that our schools are designed to make sure not one of them ever really grows up?
But what shocks is that we should so eagerly have adopted one of the very worst aspects of Prussian culture: an educational system deliberately designed to produce mediocre intellects, to hamstring the inner life, to deny students appreciable leadership skills, and to ensure docile and incomplete citizens in order to render the populace "manageable."
Our schools are ... factories in which the raw products (children) are to be shaped and fashioned .... And it is the business of the school to build its pupils according to the specifications laid down."

It's perfectly obvious from our society today what those specifications were. Maturity has by now been banished from nearly every aspect of our lives. Easy divorce laws have removed the need to work at relationships; easy credit has removed the need for fiscal self-control; easy entertainment has removed the need to learn to entertain oneself; easy answers have removed the need to ask questions. We have become a nation of children, happy to surrender our judgments and our wills to political exhortations and commercial blandishments that would insult actual adults. We buy televisions, and then we buy the things we see on the television.
Mandatory education serves children only incidentally; its real purpose is to turn them into servants. Don't let your own have their childhoods extended, not even for a day. If David Farragut could take command of a captured British warship as a pre-teen, if Thomas Edison could publish a broadsheet at the age of twelve, if Ben Franklin could apprentice himself to a printer at the same age (then put himself through a course of study that would choke a Yale senior today), there's no telling what your own kids could do. After a long life, and thirty years in the public school trenches, I've concluded that genius is as common as dirt. We suppress our genius only because we haven't yet figured out how to manage a population of educated men and women. The solution, I think, is simple and glorious. Let them manage themselves.

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
And GWB did address the school children, and there were howls about it. Hearings were even held on the ~$27,000 cost of the performance.

I beleive that George H.W. Bush SENIOR gave a televised speech to schoolchildren, but George W. Bush didn't. he was attending a class on 9/11 and read them a story, but he didn't address all American schoolchildren. But in re Bush Sr's speech--yes, the Democrats held hearings about that, didn't they?

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
The Federalists and Anti-Federalists were rough and tumble with each other. Everyone thinks that some time back, politics weren't as unsavory or difficult or cumbersome or manipulative as they are now.

People in power are often distrusted and maligned by those not in power.

People who hero-worship those in power often see no wrong.

People who lose, often see nothing right.

All we need do is cite President Bush OR President Obama or President JFK or President Reagan or President Clinton to see that there have always been syncophants, partisans, hacks, toadies, true believers and koolaid drinkers, truthers and birthers and conspiracists and professional protesters and Karl Rove/Rham Emmanuel types that worked the system and used all that power and publicity and enthusiasm and willing obedience to a party/person rather than a policy or core ideal, to push forward an agenda.

Ballance may be found in the great middle, with all the people who don't go to tea parties but do not agree with everything that comes from the white house either. If we look at politics, we will be defined by what we are not or what we are for, because politics is about winning and losing. If we look at policy, we will find usually (in good legislation), crafted compromise that reflects more than one political ideology.

Statesmen craft good legislation. Politicians whip ideological treatises through.

So if we want Statesmen, we must elect them. Mac or Dawno for Office????

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
One way not to achieve balance is to promote only the Federalist papers, and ignore the Anti-Federalists entirely. Just sayin'... :D
If you've got some good links for Anti-Federalist writing, Don, by all means PUT 'EM UP! :D

(*damned rabble-rousing states-rights anarchist....grumble, grumble....*)

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
I have no idea about what they teach kids in school. However balance is something I've done a lot of thinking about.

I suppose it depends on what a person means by balance. And the situation the balance occurs in.

A stone block is very balanced if it is on a flat, immobile surface. It takes a lot of effort to upset its equilibrium. But put it on a tightrope and it will fall off very quickly.

There is the balance of a person walking. This is a much more complex process. There's a constant interplay of muscles and senses that allows a person to move from point A to point B. This process is better suited to walking a tightrope. Which is what life often is.

In this case I believe we're talking about balance in a society. I like John Ralston Saul's take on this. He uses the metaphor of the atom, a structure held together by opposing forces in balance with each other. I think it's a damned useful metaphor.

Myself, I think that our educational system is at the root of our current problems. Despite the example Mac cited and our beliefs about it, our educational system is not an educational system, it's an industrial process. Its purpose is not to turn out human beings suitable for citizenship. Its purpose is to turn out human resources suitable for employment.

In my opinion, human resources make poor citizens.

Man, I am soooo going to get flamed for this. ;)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Ballance may be found in the great middle, with all the people who don't go to tea parties but do not agree with everything that comes from the white house either. If we look at politics, we will be defined by what we are not or what we are for, because politics is about winning and losing. If we look at policy, we will find usually (in good legislation), crafted compromise that reflects more than one political ideology.

The funny thing? That totally describes me, too. :D

I'm wondering how damned much more legislation can we possibly NEED? (Pardon me, while I sound like Don for a minute or two...) It seems to me that writing laws just for the sake of writing laws, in order to justify the enormous machine to which I owe my job, and in order to have something to point at, when my constituents ask wtf I'm spending all my time as an elected official actually doing....well, more and more it just looks stupid, to me.

Big stuff? Like health care? Sure! You bet I want our elected reps to discuss, argue, debate, research, and examine. I want 'em out traveling around, talking to the human beings who live in their districts or states.

But you know what? If we'd spent a fraction of what we spent in Iraq to help prevent genocide in Rwanda*, back in the '90s? I'd be a LOT happier with how these bastards are spending MY tax dollars.

(I now feel the need to remind everyone that I am, indeed, a far-left Marxist-sympathizing, proud socialist.)

*Disclaimer: I finally got around to and just finished reading Shake Hands With the Devil, a couple of days ago, so I'm currently head-poundingly crazed about that particular issue.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
If you've got some good links for Anti-Federalist writing, Don, by all means PUT 'EM UP! :D

(*damned rabble-rousing states-rights minarchist....grumble, grumble....*)
Fixed. Most small-L libertarians aren't anarchists by any stretch of the word.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about it for a while now and I honestly think the balance that's missing are the parents.

Parents who teach their kids to think, learn, feel, to learn for themselves, to search, to understand. Parents who raise their kids to strive for greatness while being conscientious and kind and develop empathy for others while instilling a deep-seated responsibility not just to their country but to everyone around them.

Basically parents to teach their kids to give a damn instead of loading them up on candy and tv shows and video games while they spend their own time pursuing their own happiness forgetting they took on the responsibility of actually raising their children.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
You learned that it was important to educate yourself further on the issues? May I give your teacher a big ole smooch? Even in my classes, where a lot of meetings and $$ went into figuring out how to best teach us, the all-too-human teachers didn't want us to think for ourselves. No dissent, because that's always offensive, unruly or arrogant.

Great topic, and fascinating answers.

In the height of the Cold War '80s I went to a tiny parochial school in TN. A boy straight from the USSR was new to our school. He was beaten up for not knowing the words to The Pledge of Allegience, and the teachers were in full agreement with the mob.

I like balance in these things, too.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com

I disagree. They just rebranded themselves to separate themselves from history.

I'll admit it was a brilliant move on their part. By using liberty in this new description it becomes difficult to disagree with them. If you disagree with them you're disagreeing with the very concept of liberty. Which only evil people can do.

One of the best ways to win an argument is to place your opponent on the wrong side of it from the beginning. ;)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
To be fair, most of the small-l libertarians I've spoken to aren't anarchists at all. Rather, they're advocates for hog-tying and strictly limiting government, especially federal government.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me while I get all cynical here.

The way I see it, we cannot any longer rely on the public school system to teach our children about things like this. This is for several reasons, and for me, are not grounded in any particular fear of indoctrination. For one thing, the way we teach these days is different from the way things "used to be done". Classes are far larger and less homogenous than they were when I was a child. Everything from different learning abilities to different cultures and different languages take a piece of the learning pie, in terms of deciding how and what to teach. There is also the NCLB legislation, which, while proposed by GWB and supported by pols of varying ideologies, was driven largely by parents concerned at the perceived/actual decline in student performance. Standardized testing is a much bigger deal now, and has far larger implications for the schools involved than in years past.

So, to that end, I don't expect nor do I wish for teachers to try to teach my kids anything about politics. Government, yes. Civics, I guess you could say. But good citizenship? Seems like a pipe dream when kids can easily look around them at the adults they know or the evening news and see that it's all about the party, about rhetoric, and about getting elected. They may not understand the terms, or even grasp the more subtle aspects of it, but kids aren't stupid. Things have to be simplified to a certain extent (depending on age) for them to grasp what being a responsible citizen really means, but it can be done. I just think it's best done by parents. But perhaps I am biased. I believe in questioning everything, trying not to take anything at face value, and realizing that the "other side" may have perfectly valid points that are worth considering. This thinking, imo, is a direct result of my upbringing, and had nothing to do with what I learned in school. In fact, I learned more about how government works as an interested adult than I ever did in school. One semester of civics with a brief overview of how legislation gets passed and the various branches of government and their functions is not sufficient, imo.

I'm starting to ramble and babble a little here, so I'll just sum up with climbing atop my favorite hobby horse and say that rather than teaching government or civics, what schools *really* need to be teaching is critical thinking skills. That means not teaching them to think exactly like their teachers or be marked down for it and call it critical thinking, but to challenge their teachers, peers, and even yes, parents on what they are saying. And it needs to start early on these skills. You don't have to toss a ton of terminology at them (I got lost in the woods on a lot of that when I was learning "officially" about rhetorical devices), but you can start teaching the basics.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I beleive that George H.W. Bush SENIOR gave a televised speech to schoolchildren...
You're absolutely correct. My bad.
I'll look around and find a good source.
(*damned rabble-rousing states-rights anarchist....grumble, grumble....*)
States-right anarchist just sounds wrong, doesn't it? I consider Constitutionalists "fellow travelers," and I used to be one not long ago, so it's not a terrible description after all. See below for more detail. :)
Myself, I think that our educational system is at the root of our current problems. Despite the example Mac cited and our beliefs about it, our educational system is not an educational system, it's an industrial process. Its purpose is not to turn out human beings suitable for citizenship. Its purpose is to turn out human resources suitable for employment.

In my opinion, human resources make poor citizens.

Man, I am soooo going to get flamed for this. ;)
No flames from me. Go back to the source I quoted in post 6. You'll find that once again, we find ourselves on the same side of the barricade. :)
More small-l libertarians are anarchists than you might imagine. It's a natural progression from statist to minarchist to anarchist if you continue to explore the possibilities. The Zero Aggression Principle logically ends at anarchy. Granted a lot of libertarians get scared somewhere on the path and stop at the minarchist level, however. I was there not long ago, but I've read some interesting proposals for privatizing justice, so I'm getting a bit braver. I'm probably closest to a rational anarchist, as defined by R.A.H. in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
A rational anarchist believes that concepts, such as "state" and "society" and "government" have no existence save as physically exemplified in the acts of self-responsible individuals.

He believes that it is impossible to shift blame, share blame, distribute blame ... as blame, guilt, responsibility are matters taking place inside human beings singly and nowhere else.

But being rational, he knows that not all individuals hold his evaluations, so he tries to live perfectly in an imperfect world ... aware that his efforts will be less than perfect yet undismayed by self-knowledge of self-failure.

I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
And we could have a whole thread about the concept of "rational anarchist," or even a bunch of them. It's taken me years decades of study and thought to get where I am today. I used to be a great proponent of the nanny state, believe it or not.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
<snip>I'll just sum up with climbing atop my favorite hobby horse and say that rather than teaching government or civics, what schools *really* need to be teaching is critical thinking skills. That means not teaching them to think exactly like their teachers or be marked down for it and call it critical thinking, but to challenge their teachers, peers, and even yes, parents on what they are saying. And it needs to start early on these skills. You don't have to toss a ton of terminology at them (I got lost in the woods on a lot of that when I was learning "officially" about rhetorical devices), but you can start teaching the basics.

QFT

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
(Which applies to Cranky's comments about critical thinking.)

There's a reason they deliberately don't teach critical thinking, though, and Romantic Heretic spoke to that earlier, as well as the essay I quoted in post 6.

ETA: And here's a site for the Federalist-Antifederalist Debate. I haven't had time to vet it thoroughly, though.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I think I learned about the basic structure of the government in school - three branch system, checks and balances, whatever. The rest was just a bunch of "here's an issue, debate it" or "here's an issue, let's write an essay about our opinions."

I actually remember, I think this was in junior high, discovering that the constitution was printed in the back of our civics book. I was like, "Wow, cool!" and read it myself. Sad, eh?

Most of what I learned about politics and government I taught myself - because I grew up listening to Rush Limbaugh in my dad's truck. My dad would get all riled up about things and then we'd discuss stuff around the dinner table. Say what you will about Rush - I frequently disagree with him - but he has passion. He and my dad convinced me that this stuff was IMPORTANT and I needed to know it, so I educated myself.

I don't know what's going on with schools today, but a high school English teacher I know was saying how basically they are dictating classroom content in more and more detail, so much so that by the end (he just retired) he was basically given a set of lesson plans and told "you must teach this." Kinda sad, and essentially just makes teachers into babysitters.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If my memory still serves, and I believe it does. I was in grammar school when Carter was elected and we watched his inauguration. There were no complaints about us watching the President give a speech. No parents protested or threatened to keep us home from school.

Before Reagan was elected we held our own elections to vote for President. We were taught that the right to vote was an important part of being an American. And that one day we would have the right to really vote for President and it was something we should always do.

Again as a class we watched the inauguration. It was a different school in a different state, but again there were no complaints, no protests, no school committee meetings.

We were taught about John Kennedy's speech and how he called for all Americans to do their part for their country. There was no mention of being indoctranaited to one political party's way of thinking.

We were taught part of the very essence of being an American was to be involved in your country and it's political process.

Somewhere along the line over the past few decades that ideology has changed. Now to listen to a Presidential speech is to be indoctranaited. Now people look at voting with apathetic indifference. Political activism is looked at with scorn and mockery.

Now opposing views are no longer differences to be worked through, but proof of idiocy, stupidity or a lack of value and morals. Now equality means a destruction of family values.

A father who was interviewed about the Obama speech was opposed to his child seeing it. He was complaining that he didn't want his child thinking about becoming a community organizer. All I could wonder was what would be so wrong with this man's child wanting to become involved in the community? Or in the political process and encouraging others to do the same?

The very right to be involved in the political process was why our founding fathers fought for this country. So this country would be a place were all could be including in the process of running this country, of deciding the path of this country.

Now those ideals are mocked, ridiculed, ignored and spit on.

If this mind-set continues, I truly weep for the future of this country.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As an added thought. I bet today, the 70's Saturday staple, School House Rocks would never be allowed to air their political episodes. How a Bill becomes a law, the branches of government.