PDA

View Full Version : The novelty has officially worn off.

scottishpunk
09-09-2009, 09:32 PM
When I got my first rejection note in the mail, My initial reaction went something like this.

"Hey... a rejection letter! Real writers get these... I must be a real writer!"

30-40 form rejections later, I'm pretty tired of them. I just want someone to accept my work, already...

*sigh.

scarletpeaches
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
It probably wouldn't make you feel any better to say I got 60-odd and shredded them all, would it?

No. :(

Red-Green
09-09-2009, 09:59 PM
How about this to cheer you up?

3 novels, 150+ rejections, before I got an agent.

Oh, sorry. Here, have a tissue.

Seriously, though, I know it sucks. Lime green donkey balls. There are only two options:
1.) quit
2.) improve ... your writing, your query letter, your agent research
3.) keep doing what you're doing and hope it's enough (Sue me, I didn't major in math.)

arkady
09-10-2009, 08:08 PM
How about this to cheer you up?

3 novels, 150+ rejections, before I got an agent.

Sounds about like me, except for the "I got an agent" part.

As I always say, if you quit, your chances of getting published drop to exactly zero.

Laura Lond
09-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Yep, I'm with you guys. 110+ rejections and non-responses. I hate this detestable game, but there is no other option.

JoNightshade
09-11-2009, 06:06 AM
You guys let me know when you've gotten so many you stop counting. Then we'll talk. ;)

barnicus
09-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Four 70,000-word novels. 400+ rejections.

1 Full requested. Ever.

still writing...

Steam&Ink
09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
"Hey... a rejection letter! Real writers get these... I must be a real writer!"

LOL. That's so funny; I was excited to get my first rejection letter, too. I thought I was the only one...

scottishpunk
09-13-2009, 01:36 AM
LOL. That's so funny; I was excited to get my first rejection letter, too. I thought I was the only one...

I know. It sounds weird... but it was one of those moments where my writing dream began to feel real to me. I guess it's about putting yourself out there and taking the risk... whatever the outcome.

Cranky
09-13-2009, 01:39 AM
That it is, even though rejection does most heartily sting.

I was proud of my first rejection, too, even though it hurt. I think it's just a rite of passage in a way. That's when *we* know we're starting to really take this gig seriously. :)

Phantom Writer
09-13-2009, 06:12 AM

So funny- I did too. When I got my first rejection I was giddy and thought "ooohhh this is so cool"... Yeah- 5 novels, (2 actually submitted) and 50+ rejections later.. 2 recent requests for partials and 1 request for full.

I'll tell you though the first rejection I got on a partial was NOT cool... not in the smallest meaning of the word. It sucked to be extremely blunt.

Wordwrestler
09-14-2009, 10:20 PM
You guys let me know when you've gotten so many you stop counting. Then we'll talk. ;)

I stopped counting about a year before I got an agent. The first three novels I queried failed to get me an agent. Hang in there!

arkady
09-15-2009, 06:49 PM
I stopped counting about a year before I got an agent. The first three novels I queried failed to get me an agent. Hang in there!

I am curious: now that you have an agent, is s/he interested in those first three novels?

Wordwrestler
09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm sure she will be, once they're ready. There are only two of them I feel are strong enough to polish up (not that I didn't before, but I've grown as a writer since then). The other one has some nice bits but truly no plot, though I could see it being completely rewritten one day. The characters are solid.

I've kept my agent busy with revisions on my YA (now on sub) for the past few months, getting it ready to go out. And I wrote a new MG during that time, so once we were done with the YA, that's the one I asked her if she'd like to see.

The older work will have to wait until I'm done with the first draft of my WIP. I plan on revising one of them while I let it simmer and wait for its own revisions.

havocsat
09-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Sounds familiar.. We have to keep going on and on and on...

Bushdoctor
10-09-2009, 08:26 PM
3 Novels
312 rejections
6 requests for full manuscripts

I am thinking I have to stop trying the highend and stick to epublishers!

Wordwrestler
10-09-2009, 08:36 PM
3 Novels
312 rejections
6 requests for full manuscripts

I am thinking I have to stop trying the highend and stick to epublishers!

You might consider trying agents with your next novel. It worked better for me. More editors will actually read your work if it's agented, so if you get rejected, at least you'll know it really wasn't what they were looking for. Also, when agents reject you, if you come close, they may give you useful feedback and you can consider whether to revise.

Bushdoctor
10-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks AW. Some of the rejections were with Agents most of them reputable ones. One of them recommended that I should keep trying and perhaps I should use a literary consultant to tighten up my manuscript (he didnt recommend a specific one though). I did get a free service offered for Scottish authors and I realized where my problems lie. Redrafting is a drag. No fun at all AW.