PDA

View Full Version : Joyous images from the Hubble Space Telescope

Sophia
09-09-2009, 09:20 PM
There is a small gallery here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8247245.stm) of images taken by Hubble since the servicing mission in May. I particularly like the one of the stars within the globular cluster, and imagining being on a planet around a star in the middle of that.

dpaterso
09-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Lovely! Some of them remind me of Sci-Fi novel covers from the '60s. :D

-Derek

Higgins
09-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Lovely! Some of them remind me of Sci-Fi novel covers from the '60s. :D

-Derek

And now I know where that expression, "Don't blow off your outer layers" comes from.

Izz
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
The universe is awesome.

dpaterso
09-10-2009, 01:24 AM
And now I know where that expression, "Don't blow off your outer layers" comes from.
Striking images from outer space and cryptic radio signals from Mars, in the same thread! Incredible!

-Derek

Higgins
09-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Striking images from outer space and cryptic radio signals from Mars, in the same thread! Incredible!

-Derek

Isn't Mars "in outer space"? Perhaps not exactly any more. It's just one planet over. We have rovers over there.
And then there's the question about what cosmic, cryptic radio signals are for. Is "Don't blow off your outer layers" a phrase that is whispered into the ear of every star in its stellar infancy? In hopes that it will be stable whatever its mass? Or to tempt it against all odds to just blow off those outer layers and enrich the cosmos with its heavier elements?

CACTUSWENDY
09-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the link. Makes one seem very small in the scheme of things.....lol Such colors.