PDA

View Full Version : Coffee, tea or....?

rhymegirl
07-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Which do you prefer, coffee or tea? Any certain kind?

Sarita
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Morning. Yawn. Coffee : in the morning. I grind up Green Mountain French Roast or Starbucks Gold Coast. Cream, no sugar. Tea : when it's time for tea, of course. Regular and herbal are all fine by me, just don't give me peppermint tea.

MarkEsq
07-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Tea for me, please. I don't know what I'd do without my cuppa first thing in the morning. I'm kind of picky, though, so get my tea bags from an English store because I've not found a US brand that will do the trick.

maestrowork
07-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Tea. I drink all kinds, but I'm partial to Earl Grey in the morning.

Exception: mocha blended frap...

Perks
07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Must... have... coffee!! I am an unrepentant addict. I have coffee delivered by Gevalia. My favorites are Kenyan, Mocca Java and Kona (except that's too expensive - might as well buy a ticket to Hawaii.)

If I sell my book, one of my celebratory indulgences will be a pound of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee at forty-something dollars a pound. Knowing me, I'll probably just buy half a pound... I'm so cheap.

Azure Skye
07-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Taylor's of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold Tea! It's probably the best tasting blend of tea my tongue ever had the pleasure of embracing. I have yet to be disappointed with that brand of tea.

JoeEkaitis
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Coffee. Yuban's just fine. Black. In a Mickey Mouse mug.

Fractured_Chaos
07-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Coffee. Yuban's just fine. Black. In a Mickey Mouse mug.

*blinks*

I didn't think anyone drank Yuban anymore.

Tell me, do you drink it so strong that it'll jump out of the pot, strut across the room, and slap you awake?

If the answer is yes, are you sure you're not related to any of the Kansas Crabtrees?

William Haskins
07-06-2005, 05:48 PM
espresso with rock cocaine allowed to luxuriously dissolve into a creamy froth on top, and a freshly-squeezed human pineal gland for flavor.

rhymegirl
07-06-2005, 05:52 PM
espresso with rock cocaine allowed to luxuriously dissolve into a creamy froth on top, and a freshly-squeezed human pineal gland for flavor.

Well, that's different.

biotales
07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
COFFEE
:Coffee:

William Haskins
07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, that's different. and delicious

Unique
07-06-2005, 05:57 PM

Good Lord, Haskins - no wonder people keep saying, 'get out of my head!' You've been eating their brains!

Watch what you're doing up there, won't you please; we've already got Mad Cow. Can't have you responsible for some other dread disease now, can we?

William Haskins
07-06-2005, 05:58 PM
life is short. hallucinate hard.

DreamWeaver
07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Tea. Strong tea. Looks like black coffee coming out of the pot, though of course I add milk. I use loose tea from England: half Twinings Earl Grey, half PG Tips (we call it the Abbey Blend, after my friend's mother who invented it, as far as I know). I compared the Twinings packaged in the US to the Twinings from an English shop, and there is a huge difference. I suspect they send us the seconds :).

Kris

maestrowork
07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Haskins is my hero.

William Haskins
07-06-2005, 06:08 PM
you're too kind, ray. here, have a cup o' joe...

DJP
07-06-2005, 06:12 PM
I used to be a strict tea fan, but now it's strong coffee, with vanilla toffee caramel creamer.

wardmclark
07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Neither. Ice water or Diet Coke.

JoeEkaitis
07-06-2005, 08:18 PM
*blinks*

I didn't think anyone drank Yuban anymore.Yeah, yeah, I know, "There goes the neighborhood" and "How could they let THIS happen?"

;)

aadams73
07-06-2005, 08:37 PM
In the a.m. two large mugs of Gevalia coffee--right now its some limited edition type. After that it's diet coke or water. In the afternoon I drink Tetleys All Rounders tea, which I get my mother to send from Australia.

Pthom
07-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Haskins is my hero.Another afficianado of lunchmeat ... head cheese anyone?

aadams73
07-06-2005, 10:30 PM
... head cheese anyone?

OK, which one of you jokers is hiding the barf bags?

Alex<---can't even look at the head cheese at the deli.

mommie4a
07-06-2005, 10:36 PM
I can't believe there's not one sexually-laced morning beverage listed here. Maybe I really am an MILF. S**t. When did that happen?

William Haskins
07-06-2005, 10:43 PM

mommie4a
07-06-2005, 10:50 PM
silly girl

I'm feeling none too silly at the moment.

William Haskins
07-06-2005, 10:55 PM
sorry.

maestrowork
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Tea and Sex? (Sounds like the sequel to Tea and Sympathy)

mommie4a
07-06-2005, 10:59 PM
No hijacking, I have to stop posting here. My current thoughts have nothing to do with tea or coffee.

maestrowork
07-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I know. I am in it.

;)

rhymegirl
07-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Um, back to the topic, children.

I prefer COFFEE to tea. (I associate tea with illness, I guess--something you drink to feel better.)

No special brand of coffee. I like to make it strong to help me get my eyes open in the morning.

PattiTheWicked
07-07-2005, 01:36 AM

Cousin Ernie, is that you?

brokenfingers
07-07-2005, 05:17 AM
I'm a hardcore coffee addict. Been drinking it every morning of my life since I was six.

Oddly enough for someone who loves coffee so (I even like instant coffee!) - I'm not a coffee connoisseur or have any hankerings for any fancy brands or flavors.

But I do love a good espresso. Haven't found any to compare to Grandma's though.

SRHowen
07-07-2005, 07:22 AM
my grandfather, who kept an old pour over pot on the wood stove in the kitchen, used to boil the coffee down then add more and do it again with the same pot. It got used again the next day--left-over coffee with more added.

He watched me while my mom worked, ( I was less than 7 years old ) I'd get home from Grandpa's and my mom would scream--why are you always bouncing off the walls when you get home from there?

LOL

I'd sit with grandpa and we'd drink that foul brew and make noises like they do in the movies in reaction to strong whiskey.

I drink both coffee and tea.

Tea Earl Grey or Green tea with lemon.

Coffee, black or about half flavored creamer--depending on the mood.

And tons of diet cola.

smallthunder
07-07-2005, 06:08 PM
This should not come as any great surprise to anyone who has read my comments on other threads ... make it tea for me, and don't you dare call any of those herbal mixtures by that name or I'll just have to bite your head off ...

... and then pass it to our friend William Haskins so that he can get some of that fresh-squeezed pineal-gland juices for his drink of choice.

As for WHAT KIND OF TEA:

I drink green tea most of the time (e.g. "Bi Lu Chun" or a good grade of "Gunpowder" green) because it has less caffeine so I can drink lots of it and still sleep at night.

If sleep is not a concern -- then make mine a cup of oolong ("Oriental Beauty" or some "Gao Shan" from Taiwan).

I save the hard-core caffeine leaves -- say, Yorkshire Black, or Early Grey -- to those mornings I'm in need of a jump-start.

Coffee seems just so one-dimensional to me in comparison to TEA.

Too much information?

DTKelly
07-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I love both, but tea doesn't seem to give me the same quick pick-me-up as coffee.

I'm a snob when it comes to both, I will only buy organic fair trade coffee (Green Mountain is choice right now) and St. Dalfour Tea ( really enjoy their Earl Grey and Black Cherry).

I'm not into flavored coffee, and am a purist about my coffee/tea-- I don't add milk or sugar or anything else.

Yes, I know, I'm a snob. :Shrug:

WriteRead
07-08-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm in love w coffee!!! Tea? Rarely. Sometimes it gives me a heartburn.

Dan

WriteRead
07-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Where do you buy the Green Mount? How much does it cost?

Dan

WriteRead
07-08-2005, 07:56 AM
They say that a man "has" to be like coffee: "Good, Warm and Sweet".

BTW, coffe should be drunk at the temp of 180 F (82 C), IIRC.

One of my fav coffees was to pour it over a little ice cube crushed in the cup.

Dan

poetinahat
07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
you're too kind, ray. here, have a cup o' joe...

So to speak.

Coffee for doing; tea for thinking.

White in the morning, black after that.

xi0120
07-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Coffee

poetinahat
07-08-2005, 09:22 AM
BTW, coffe should be drunk at the temp of 180 F (82 C), IIRC.

Man, when it's that hot, the last thing I want is coffee!

Jamesaritchie
07-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I love both coffee and tea, but for the real coffee lovers out there, you have to try this: http://www.tastesoftheworld.net/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/28/products_id/75?AW-Kopi

rhymegirl
07-08-2005, 07:06 PM
They say that a man "has" to be like coffee: "Good, Warm and Sweet".Dan

I used to work with a woman who drank tea who used to say: "I like my men strong and my tea weak."

sgtsdaughter
07-08-2005, 07:37 PM
my grandfather, who kept an old pour over pot on the wood stove in the kitchen, used to boil the coffee down then add more and do it again with the same pot. It got used again the next day--left-over coffee with more added.

He watched me while my mom worked, ( I was less than 7 years old ) I'd get home from Grandpa's and my mom would scream--why are you always bouncing off the walls when you get home from there?

LOL

I'd sit with grandpa and we'd drink that foul brew and make noises like they do in the movies in reaction to strong whiskey.

My Bunchi and I drank coffee like that. . . then we'd dip the crushiki in it. The crushiki was always far better than her coffee . . . Bunchi had three dishes that were good (and totaly divine)--crushiki, pierogies, and mushroom soup (i can't say the name let alone spell it). The powedered sugar and ultra strong coffee were sure to wound up anyone--especially the grandaughter that she only got to see every year or so. She also reused the grounds, but in an electric pot. Yuk.

We didn't make the noises, but she told me it would make me tall and strong. Ha. I had a growth spurt in college (honestly) and hit 5 foot 3 then. See, now we know why I am short (that and my Mom isn't even 5 foot).

Now days my Dad and I drink the black brew. I'm slowly converting the "old dog" into a coffee connisour (no more Maxwell House around me :D), and when I am at my folks' house Dad and I will sit on the couch or back deck for hours just drinking it.

Strange how things come full circle.

A.

sgtsdaughter
07-08-2005, 07:39 PM
I love both coffee and tea, but for the real coffee lovers out there, you have to try this: http://www.tastesoftheworld.net/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/28/products_id/75?AW-Kopi

My cousin calls that Monkey Sh!t coffee, but I will admit that it is darned good!

I know, I know. All laugh and snicker now that I publically admitted that I drank coffee passed through intestines. :D

robeiae
07-08-2005, 09:36 PM
If I want something thick, dark, and warm, I'll stick with a Guinness. I don't like coffee, but I drink it when the occasion demands it. Otherwise, Black Tea with honey, usually iced.

Rob :)

loquax
07-08-2005, 10:14 PM
I love tea, but then again, I'm british. I'm eighteen - I've had about three cups a day since I was twelve. Sometimes about five. I heard somewhere that it makes up over 50% of Britain's fluid intake. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 90%.

I also heard somewhere else that tea got us through the black plague. It keeps your immune system up or something. Tea rules. Semi-skimmed milk, no sugar, with a biscuit (Usa = cookie).

I actually wrote a song about tea for my band, Div and the Divs, called 'A Tribute to Tea'. You can see the cool album cover I made for it here (http://an-studios.com/shop/images/Cover_Final.jpg).

P.S. Tea RoXXorZ

mdmkay
07-08-2005, 10:51 PM
2 cups of freshly brewed Folgers in the morning....what can I say?...I'm from the midwest....we're boring.

maestrowork
07-08-2005, 10:57 PM
I love Travis Tea.

WriteRead
07-08-2005, 11:40 PM
I said:

They say that a man "has" to be like coffee: "Good, Warm and Sweet"

This is an Israeli saying, as far as I know...

BTW, I remember how we made coffe in the army, in an empty, cleaned not too much, metal can of corned beef or some other canned food from the military ratios eaten while on the field, heated over a camp fire. The bestest!!

Dan

mommie4a
07-08-2005, 11:42 PM
I lived in the Middle East for a year and never got used to Cafe Botz, literally "mud coffee" and it LOOKS like mud.

"Any Israeli host will offer you coffee and ask, "Botz or nes?" Turkish or instant. Botz literally means "mud," which refers to the undissolved grounds that settle at the bottom of the cup.

Traditionally, café botz is served in a glass, with or without a handle. Use a heaping teaspoon of coffee, sugar or sweetner if you like, and add boiling water. Stir, wait for the botz to settle, and enjoy."

Blech

samgail
07-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Fishing boat in Alaska
oil cook stove
Coffeepot from hell
I think the tea I am drinking is causing flashbacks-:Coffee:
Blue mountain, fresh roasted, made with filtered water in my French
press
all better now
(Saving the tea for another time)

jdkiggins
07-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Coffee, most definitely! I drink coffee most of the day. When it's hot and I'm working outside, I drink raspberry tea on ice. And in the evenings and wee hours of the morning while writing, I drink hot tea. Normally Earl Grey.

WriteRead
07-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Hmmm, Mommie, let me educate you:) .

Mud coffee is NOT turkish coffee. Turkish is boiled in a pot during what can be a quite intricate process, it's a whole science, almost.

Mud coffe was invented, or rather started, in Paris, and it doesn't look like mud, not at'all! You let the grind settle and then you drink it. It can be totally clear and clean of grinds.
In both types of coffee, if you sprinkle a few drops of cold water on the coffee, it helps to setle the grinds faster.

If the cofee is offered in a glass w/o a handle, you hold the glass w the thumb over the cup's rim and the fingers at the bottom of the glass, by its edge, like supporting it. This way you don't burn your fingers. This is good for a tea served in a handleless glass, too.

In Isr mud coffee is drunk and/or offered only by the lazy ones, the purists will drink ONLY turkish coffee.

While at work, in Isr, I couldn't make turkish coffee b/c I couoldn't boil it, so I used to make the mud one, but at home after a good meal, or w guests around, I'd always offer turkish coffee.

Sorry to disapoint, maybe, some people, but both types are better than the filter coffe drunk here from the coffee makers, while the trukish coffee infinitely so. Anyone who tasted the turkish coffe anywhere, will atest to it, he-he-he... http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Dan

aadams73
07-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Sorry to disapoint, maybe, some people, but both types are better than the filter coffe drunk here from the coffee makers, while the trukish coffee infinitely so. Anyone who tasted the turkish coffe anywhere, will atest to it, he-he-he... http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Dan

YMMV--I don't like the stuff.

mommie4a
07-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Hmmm, Mommie, let me educate you:) .

In Isr mud coffee is drunk and/or offered only by the lazy ones, the purists will drink ONLY turkish coffee.

While at work, in Isr, I couldn't make turkish coffee b/c I couoldn't boil it, so I used to make the mud one, but at home after a good meal, or w guests around, I'd always offer turkish coffee.

Dan

Dan - I lived in Israel for a year and drank cafe botz every Shabbat. That is what they call it. Whether it resembles what you describe or not, I can't speak to that. I can only reiterate what I experienced. I guess our experiences were different. Thanks for sharing.

Jill

WriteRead
07-09-2005, 09:05 AM
My Desktop theme is "Coffee Bean", but it really shows a Java picture, a steaming cup of coffee, all in a brown background.

Dan

Penman Shipp
07-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Most definitely coffee. My favorite is Illy espresso, next Lavazza, or any good, fresh bean, brewed with gusto and absorbed gratefully.

JennaGlatzer
07-09-2005, 03:24 PM
All laugh and snicker now that I publically admitted that I drank coffee passed through intestines. :D

*Snicker*

Sgtsdaughter drinks poopie...

Okay, really. Decaf coffee with Irish Cream. (Not allowed to have the good stuff :( .)

Am also known to enjoy any berry-flavored tea. Because I can't have sugary drinks or caffeine, I also tend to drink chamomile in restaurants (no milk, sugar, or lemon) because it's the only type of herbal tea most restaurants have. I think it's a rather boring tea; thus, I tend to make fun of those romance heroines who are always off sipping their chamomile in their breezy dresses.

Did not realize biscuit=cookie. Glad to be educated! Wondered how so many people could like biscuits. Dry, gross things, they are.

WriteRead
07-09-2005, 06:50 PM
biscuit - also "Clay that has been fired once but not glazed. Also called bisque."

Dan

loquax
07-10-2005, 01:57 PM
It can also be a wedge of wood, used in carpentry. I think.