The Save the World Project.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You folks are the smartest people I know. The wisest, most creative, and eloquent people I know too. It seems to me that maybe, just maybe, we could put all that awesomeness towards some unified end. And what, I ask you, could be more worthwhile than saving the f-ing world? Yes, I know. Sounds crazy. Impossible. Sure, I'll give you that. But, just for a moment forget that. Just for a moment imagine that you can make a difference, that we can make a difference. Pretend with me. Forget the word impossible, just while you're here on this thread, that's all I'm asking. That will probably be the hardest part. You're all too smart to suspend your disbelief over such a topic. Your natural cynicism will be hard to supress over the very concept of attempting such an endeavor. Put that aside, and play with me. Play as if the stakes are the world itself.

I would like, on this thread, to discuss the problems, ideas, and situations that beset and plague humanity, every freaking one of them, and possible solutions. War, economics, sociology, government, crime, religion, environment, scientific advancement, the media, everything. I want to discuss every aspect our mutual problems in this world and to find solutions for them. Quick, you'll need to read over the first paragraph again or that cynicism is going to get you. Forget the arrogance and impossibility of this task. After you leave, pick it back up at the door. Now, that's not to say that we don't want debate, that is exactly what we do want. We will need people to mock us and punch the dickens out of our ideas, but let that be because you feel that an idea is the wrong idea, that it won't have the desired effect, not because you think it's impossible or even impractacal. I know I'm asking a lot here. I'm probably going to end up looking like a damned fool before we get very far (there yet?). It's okay, we're only pretending for now. But, I have found, that if the will is set and concentrated upon an objective with unrelenting force, there is nothing that is truly impossible.

I guess, my first question would be, "Does the World need saving." No, I'm not talking about saving the country from Obama's "evil" agenda. Let's leave the proganda and polarized ideology at the door with the concepts of personal doubt and impotence we have been trained to feel. I've read some truly profound posts by many here, and I honestly feel that even starting as a game, we could tackle problems and work towards solutions that could have value. That such a project could work the wonders that ideas can work, and move the very world towards a better place. Stupid? I don't think so. Idealistic. Of course. Worthwhile. Abso-f-ing-lutely. I beg you to bring all of your creativity, consensus-building, and problem-solving skills to this project. Let's save the freakin world.

So, where was I? Oh yes, my first question: "Does the World need Saving?" From what? From who? For who? Why?

My short answer is yes. Yes. The world needs saving. From what? From our own mistakes and the things we have allowed. Governmental corruption. Corporate Greed. Religious Fanaticism. Our own god-damned natures. Yes. Why? Because it is our right to find a way to survive, to rise above our animal natures and baser instincts and embrace the very glory of our existance.

Soon, I'll post some of the things I'm doing to help reform the very nature of American politics, right now, for real. But, before we get to that and many other things, let's tackle this first question. Or, two questions, I guess: 1) whether you want to participate in our little save the world game/project; and 2) does the world need the saving, or is everything pretty much hunkey-dorey now?

So, who wants to play? Come one, come all. Let's Save the Freaking World.

P.S. - I'm totally serious about this. Please consider it, if nothing else. I stand proudly, willfully, and await your mocking condemnation, or your participation.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Save it for whom? For those who believe in self-reliance, or those who believe in relying on the government? One person's salvation will be another person's hell.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
You folks are the smartest people I know. The wisest, most creative, and eloquent people I know too.

I'm not that smart, that wise, that creative, or that eloquent. If I know anything, it's that I have enough trouble saving myself; I'm not qualified to save the whole demon-ridden world.

But if you're serious, I'd suggest starting with the research done by Dr. Stanley Milgram. Humanity's political problems, the religious fanaticism, the corporate greed -- all of these issues are symptoms of human powerlust and human submissiveness. If people were not willing to obey others, neither politics nor religion would be possible. Humanity needs to find a better game to play than "Follow the leader" or "My god has a bigger dick than your god".

Last edited:

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
Don't know what I can contribute to this project. But my answer to the second question comes from Chrichton, paraphrased a little, "We don't have the power to destroy life on this planet. We don't have the power to save it either. We might have the power to save ourselves."

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
the idea that someone can save the world is perhaps the most dangerous idea on earth.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
No shit. Adolf Hitler probably thought he was saving the world. Same with Stalin, Pol Pot, and George W. Bush.

We have a winner folks! Post #6. Let's just pack it up now and get some shut-eye.

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies)<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-GL_FAQ_0-0>[1]</SUP> is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-canonical_version_1-0>[2]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-WiredMCM_2-0>[3]</SUP>

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
It's true that W isn't the tyrant that Hitler was, but W was still a politician possessed of a utopian vision and the deluded belief that he could implement his vision.

He also didn't carry out the mass murder of 6 million Jews. Please. The comparison is ludicrous and an insult to the memory of those murdered in the Shoah.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
He also didn't carry out the mass murder of 6 million Jews. Please. The comparison is ludicrous and an insult to the memory of those murdered in the Shoah.

I apologize if you're seeing a comparison that I did not make, but I notice that you make no objection to my mentioning Bush alongside Stalin, who has more megadeaths to his name than Hitler.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to change my college campus. It's still nearly impossible for a Jew to go a semester without multiple people telling her why Israel is an occupying, terrorist country.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
It's still nearly impossible for a Jew to go a semester without multiple people telling her why Israel is an occupying, terrorist country.

Sounds like my experiences traveling outside the US during the Bush administration. I did get tired of explaining that I didn't vote for that reject from a dude ranch, that I don't support his policies, and that it's a waste of time to complain to me because I don't actually have a say in the matter. I'm just one cynical man with one worthless vote and no trust in the system.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. So we go from Diana's OP requesting us to drop our cynicsm and try to see what suggestions we might come up with IF it were possible to save the world, and instead we've got Godwin and GWB, all before we hit the end of the first page.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like my experiences traveling outside the US during the Bush administration. I did get tired of explaining that I didn't vote for that reject from a dude ranch, that I don't support his policies, and that it's a waste of time to complain to me because I don't actually have a say in the matter. I'm just one cynical man with one worthless vote and no trust in the system.

Yeah, slightly different though. These people are basing their entire arguments on propaganda and revisionist, anti-Semitic history.

At least people around the world had reasons to not like Bush.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Cranky, I think it's because Diana mistakenly--and gallantly--proceeded from the belief that P&CE posters actually were above this sort of thing. *sigh* God knows, all we have to do is have one mention of George W. Bush and any reasonable thread goes down the tubes.

What next, I ask you? Shall we Palinize it too?

Diana, dearheart, probably the best way to go about saving the world is to begin by trying to understand it. Not understand it according to one's preconceived political or societal beliefs, but understand it from the standpoint that the very differences that lead us to make hyperbolic statements comparing a former President to the greatest mass murderers in existence or equal nonsense are what makes our species unique and special. We need to learn to celebrate our differences instead of making them a reason for shame or ridicule.

And unfortunately, I'll be the first to admit that I personally am not evolved enough to do so. Maybe in the end, that would be the first step.

Admitting our limitations intellectually, morally, spiritually, physically...

heh. What are the odds?

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
At least people around the world had reasons to not like Bush.

I'm not too thrilled with the fact that Israel gets aid from the US, which angers other Middle Eastern nations and places the US at greater risk for terrorist attacks. However, I'm not going to complain about that to you, since you're not a member of the Knesset or Congress and thus don't actually have a say in the matter. :)

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Diana, this was an honorable idea but it's rapidly evolving into a qui es mas cynico? competition and the posts are making me fantasize about my own funeral.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
Not understand it according to one's preconceived political or societal beliefs, but understand it from the standpoint that the very differences that lead us to make hyperbolic statements comparing a former President to the greatest mass murderers in existence or equal nonsense.

*facepalm* You know, I only mentioned Bush in context with those other dictators as an example of people who not only had power they were unqualified to wield, but were also possessed of the belief that they knew how to save the world.

I was wrong to do so, if the resulting shitstorm is any indication, and I apologize.

Admitting our limitations intellectually, morally, spiritually, physically... heh. What are the odds?

I did that already, in my first post in this thread. Of course, I didn't mention my physical limitations because a frank discussion of my shortcomings is NSFW, and this isn't that kind of forum.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not too thrilled with the fact that Israel gets aid from the US, which angers other Middle Eastern nations and places the US at greater risk for terrorist attacks. However, I'm not going to complain about that to you, since you're not a member of the Knesset or Congress and thus don't actually have a say in the matter. :)

A couple of things. One, the ME is angry with the US regardless of its alliance with Israel. The US provides aid and weapons to Arab countries as well. The tie to Israel is just an excuse to attack the US, just like the land is an excuse to attack Israel.

That said, I'd actually prefer that Israel get itself off US aid. It is dangerous for Israel to rely so heavily on one country, and it puts Israel in an uncomfortable situation where the US has some say in how she runs her own government. The situation at hand is a good example. Israel is building on her own land (which the previous administration understood, but this one apparently does not), but has now instituted a building freeze because of US pressure. If Israel was more independent, she could tell the US to crap in the ocean like she should.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And yet, funnily enough, it doesn't really have anything to do with what the OP specifically requested of us if we were going to participate in the thread.

I don't want to be a thread cop, but I'm of a mind to lock this puppy down until folks can regroup. I'd rather not do that, though, so let's see if we can go along with the OP or go play somewhere else.