Fire Engine Falls in Sinkhole

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,547780,00.html?test=latestnews

The captain and engineer were responding to an emergency call around 5:20 a.m. when they saw running water on a residential street in the Valley Village neighborhood, fire department spokesman Rich Matheney said.

Worried the ground was unstable, the men were backing the 22-ton engine out when its front end fell into the sinkhole, Matheney said.

The two safely climbed out the windows as water and mud began to fill the vehicle's interior, Matheney said.

Saw this on Fox News over lunch. They were saying the ground was too soft and unstable to bring in heavy equipment to get the truck out of the hole.

Reminds me of the infastructure thread and the need to replace things. The pipe that burst here and the other one that burst nearby were both over ninety years old. Some things should be replaced, eh?

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Probably need a little more time to study the problem before they fix it. Commission a few experts, get some reports, apply for grants, sell some more stuff in a garage sale.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
In '83 I was living in DC. The city used to use these huge metal plates to cover places where they were working on the road. I drove by one that had collapsed one morning. There was a guy, head and shoulders level with the road, sitting on the roof of his Maverick. Still had the "wtf?" look on his face.