Streets around St. Paul's, London

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
When I was in London and went to St. Paul's, I could've sworn we walked down Fleet Street and ended up at the cathedral. Now I'm trying to verify this for my WIP, but the maps don't seem to show it that way. Does Fleet Street actually lead to/end at St. Paul's or is my memory off? The latter is entirely possible...

Also, I can't recall if there was street parking near St. Paul's. I'd like one of my characters to park his car at the curb (preferably on what I thought was Fleet Street although it may not be) while he waits for another character to finish her business at the cathedral. Is that at all probable?

If I'd known I was going to set a scene or two in the area, I would've paid more attention. :(

TIA

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Fleet Street leads to Ludgate Hill which leads to St Paul's.
Parking around there is likely to be tricky during the week, and remember that your character will have to pay the congestion charge to bring their car into central London

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
Fleet Street leads to Ludgate Hill which leads to St Paul's.
Okay, thanks. I must've come down Ludgate Hill. As I was approaching I remember that wherever I stood I couldn't get a full view of St. Paul's because of the surrounding buildings.

Parking around there is likely to be tricky during the week, and remember that your character will have to pay the congestion charge to bring their car into central London
There's a congestion charge? Didn't know that, I wasn't there very long and definitely wasn't brave enough to drive there... :eek: How much is it and where do you pay it?

He could just circle around instead of parking, I suppose. He could make a brief stop for her to hop out.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There's a congestion charge? Didn't know that, I wasn't there very long and definitely wasn't brave enough to drive there... :eek: How much is it and where do you pay it?

He could just circle around instead of parking, I suppose. He could make a brief stop for her to hop out.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/

There's a lot of one way streets around there. Unless he knows what he is doing his 'circle around' could take a while.
What time of day? Weekday or weekend?

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Then it will be busy. St Paul's is part of the City with banks and financial institutions all around. Lots of taxis and buses, lots of people on foot going to work.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The wobbly bridge from Tate Modern gives one of the few good views of St Paul's you'll find in London these days.