• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Morrigan Books / Three Crow Press

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
They might be okay, but I was pretty much lead on for nine months on one partial submission. It always appeared to me that they were asleep at the wheel, offering up one excuse after another. Honestly, I think this is a hobby publisher that just doesn't have the time for new subs. But that has been my experience, with about nine emails and a bunch of gaking going back and forth. Someone else might have a different experience.

Tri

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sold a short story to the Three Crows Press e-zine a while back. They responded to my submission promptly, were very friendly and easy to work with, and paid immediately, so they get a thumbs-up from me. I've no idea what they're like with novel-length works, though.

edited to add: I agree, their cover art is really superb.

Last edited:

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
They responded quickly on a query and asked for 3 chapters. That was 4 1/2 months ago. I'd also ordered a novel that didn't arrive. The owner was quick to make things right when I emailed, and I got my order. We traded a few emails when he saw I had a speculative fiction novel that was just published (in July), and I mentioned his reader had requested 3 chapters a while back. I didn't hear back again.

I'm thinking they didn't like my chapters, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Just visited their web page. What follows is absolutely not publishing advice, it's just me babbling.

Having lived in Grants Pass, I couldn't even begin to take the premise of the anthology by the same name seriously. It's hard to buy into a setting of post-apocalyptic sinister something-or-other when you've had coffee at Dutch Bros., gotten fired from the 6th Street Pharmacy, and worked in the gallery at Rogue Community College.

Sounds like HorrorScope liked it, though.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Another question, all. Do you give more points to a publisher for (1) their covers or (2) their marketing department, followed by their royalty accounts payable?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I'd put marketing and royalties over book covers personally. Good book covers are great, but if no one sees them what's the point right? Those are some lovely covers though :)

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
I think a company who has crappy cover art is not likely to have a solid marketing department. A good marketing department would know that people do, in fact, judge books by their covers. If they're going to spend thousands of dollars on getting the books shelved, they would want to know that their efforts (and money) aren’t wasted. Crappy covers don't impress the impulse buyer. I read like a maniac and I wont even pick up a book that has a crappy cover--unless someone recommends it.

that could just be me though. But look at the really good small publishers (eg, Flux, Snowbooks...to name a couple), their covers rock and they have a limited marketing budget(when compared to the big guys).

IMO-(and I could be way off here btw) if you're judging small presses, the ones that dont invest in good cover art have no intention of marketing your book.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily. I've seen a couple publishers who had great covers, but no money for marketing. But that was coupled with things like taking on too many authors and basically using the POD business model. Not to mention 'good covers' are also subjective; what may be a good cover to me might be crap to someone else. But good small publishers know how to get their books out there as well as give their authors at least decent covers. There's no excuse for not having both so far as I'm concerned.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I've found them courteous, and they paid me promptly, but that was a short story for one of their ezines. Couldn't say for novels, though; they seem to have a pretty small catalogue, expanding by only half a dozen or so a year. Could be common sense caution as a fairly new publisher, could be they're more interested in the story/anthology side of things.

I've bought Voices, and really enjoyed it. Had some difficulty getting hold of Grants Pass, since I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Oh, and on the covers - Reece Notley, one of the team is a graphic artist, so I suspect she does them. In a recent interview she laid claim to Dead Souls at least.

The website says they've taken on new editors, too. At least two are working with novels, though the other four seem to be anthology-based.

Last edited:

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
They responded quickly on a query and asked for 3 chapters. That was 4 1/2 months ago. I'd also ordered a novel that didn't arrive. The owner was quick to make things right when I emailed, and I got my order. We traded a few emails when he saw I had a speculative fiction novel that was just published (in July), and I mentioned his reader had requested 3 chapters a while back. I didn't hear back again.

I'm thinking they didn't like my chapters, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

How quickly did they respond to your Query?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
3CP has pretty much dropped fiction subs altogether and seems to be concentrating on reviews, no payment. Morrigan Books is still steadily releasing books and anthologies with gorgeous covers.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of torn on the covers. Some are stunningly done, others look like they took creative input from a drunk five year old.

aleighrose

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aleighrose.webs.com
I just checked every title listed on their site, and none of them are more recent than 2012. There are a few titles listed as "yet to be released," and they cannot be found on Amazon. If this were just a case of "Oops, I forgot to update the website" then those unreleased titles would be available by now. It looks like they're inactive.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I concur. Posts from '13 are gone, and home page has read "Morrigan Books is undergoing essential updates. We’ll be back soon." since Feb '15.