Heard words

Status
Not open for further replies.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure.

See, when I'm reading something that's really grabbed me, I have no idea what's happening except for the story. People around me talk to me, and I don't hear them.

The only time I notice the actual words is when something takes me out of the story, and then it takes me some time to remember how to pay attention. Most of the time, if I get booted out of the flow, my internal monologue turns into one of those computerized voice readers.

So I guess I don't hear the words when I'm really reading. I just kind of absorb the story.

Sense. I makes it. :D

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I hear words when I'm reading is when I play an audio book. lol

Seriously though, I generally don't "hear" words when I'm reading. I don't really 'visualize' the story as I'm reading, either. I enjoy reading and I enjoy the story but I don't really see it as a movie while I'm reading. I usually read the book the first time around to get the story as an overall story. Then I go back and start picking up the details on the re-reads. It's when I finish reading and let the words sink in that I really make my own visual/audio version of the story. Even then, it's more audio, as in a sense of the conversations that I get, rather than a visual of the characters.

Yes, I'm weird that way.

Reaction score
No. I see them, because I read with my eyes. Then I think them with my braincleverz.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
For the first few pages when I pick up a book. Then it just goes into imagery unless it's very bad like others have said.....

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yep. I tend to read aloud anyway (well, read in a mumble).

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Yes, I 'hear' the words and I get a bit distraught when the voices I've assigned to the characters sound nothing like the actors portraying them in the movie. I hate that.

Then, if it's a series that continues after the movie, the actors' voices forever are the ones used when I read the books.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Only when the voices in my head insist on reading to me.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I experience something between synesthesia and a vivid dream when I read something really good. But...how to say it...the sound is silent. *shrug*

simon_garfunkel.jpg

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Nope. To my brain, the written word and spoken word are entirely separate things, each with its own rules and conventions. I can't say that my brain switches to visualizations when I read, however... it does to some degree, but I am also conscious of the language because I find myself appreciating certain words and phrases. It also depends on whether I'm reading for words or story or both. Sometimes I will "force" my brain to "read aloud" to itself if the subject matter lends itself to such. (For instance, a lot of poetry or Shakespeare.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think most people are wired to translate print into a voice and picture in their head - that's why so many people are disappointed when movies are cast with "the wrong" actor.

Mud

Erm...what was the question?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I hear the words and I write as though the reader hears the words.

Probably a mistake but I don't think I'll change.

IMO flow and rythm can be translated more clearly if the reader hears the words and acknowledges the written emphasis in dialogue by hearing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.