Is it just me or did Xerox blow it?

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Why did Xerox replace a potentially timeless logo with one that's dorky looking from Day One and will not age gracefully?

xerox-logo.jpg

Makes about as much sense as General Electric tampering with their legendary logo.

Last edited:

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Makes about as much sense as General Electric tampering with their legendary logo.

Or Coke messing with their formula (speaking of which, there is only one non-employee who knows the formula, and my dad knows him).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks pretty crappy to me.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Xerox land, and the logo Joe prefers isn't even their best. I'd give it second place. The one with the slightly extended diagonal strokes in both X's and the R is superior. Change that to red (it was black) and you've got something timeless.

Maryn, who knows many people laid off from Xerox

Last edited:

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
As a professional knitter, I'm flattered that they've gone in for the ball-of-yarn look.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It's not an improvement. Everyone seems to have a dumb circle, ellipse, star or collection of squares as a logo. They look like generic graphics you could by from a stock graphics company, but you know they paid thousands for them.

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Columbia Pictures shareholders raised a stink when the lady was dropped from the logo, leaving only a stylized representation of the torch behind. Eventually, they put her back. Dare we hope Xerox shareholders have as much good taste?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not an improvement. Everyone seems to have a dumb circle, ellipse, star or collection of squares as a logo. They look like generic graphics you could by from a stock graphics company, but you know they paid thousands for them.
Yep. I work for a major engineering firm. When they started the firm a few years ago they hired a professional graphics designer to do the logo. It's a red triangle. That's it, a red triangle with the name of the firm written beside it. It actually doesn't look too bad, it's just funny that they paid $5000 for it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Meanwhile twitter got their bird logo as a non-exclusive design from a stock photo site--doesn't seem to slow them down any.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like a logo for a some kind of toothpaste, or a colorblind Xbox knock-off...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the BBC paid over £5m to go from this:
000d2xg7

to this:
000d3ct8

They'd hardly even used the first one for 6 years before they recommissioned the design.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what some designers think, and insight into how it got tested and released.
I love this part from the link you posted:

The transformation of the logo takes on a new design using not only a new typeface but also incorporates the use of a symbol with the colors red and silver, indicating Xerox is not afraid of the future of technology.

Oh, yeah, that was my first thought too. See the Xerox ball . . . I bet they're not afraid of the future of technology.

Last edited:

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The Air Force did something similar at the start of the millennium. Similarly received, the logo won few hearts within the service and without. However, over time, people have accepted it.

Air%20Force%20Logo.jpg

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love this part from the link you post:

The transformation of the logo takes on a new design using not only a new typeface but also incorporates the use of a symbol with the colors red and silver, indicating Xerox is not afraid of the future of technology.

Oh, yeah, that was my first thought too. See the Xerox ball . . . I bet they're not afraid of the future of technology.
I just thought they were letting us know they're always red when playing croquet.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of like the Air Force one. If you squint it sort of looks like some kind of evil mutant cat.

;-)

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
... with the colors red and silver, indicating ...
:e2fairy:Designers' rules:
1. If it's not good, make it big.
2. If you can't make it big, make it red.
3. If in a bind, make it big and red.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I work for a major engineering firm. When they started the firm a few years ago they hired a professional graphics designer to do the logo. It's a red triangle. That's it, a red triangle with the name of the firm written beside it. It actually doesn't look too bad, it's just funny that they paid $5000 for it.

For that price, they better have a vector-based image.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Xerox redesign cost? I'm almost afraid to ask.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The thread subject reminds me of Xerox PARC, their Palo Alto Research Center, where they spent huge amounts of money making fantastic technological things. Steve Jobs co-founder of Apple Computer, toured PARC back in the early '80's and was so impressed he pushed for the development of new Apple products based on what he saw - first the Apple Lisa (interesting, but at $10,000 it didn't sell well) and a year later the Macintosh. The thought was that Xerox blew it by not itself capitalizing more on the technology it had invented. The "ease of use" concepts from Xerox certainly influence Jobs specifically and Apple in general, and quite possibly influenced a much later and very popular Apple product, a portable MP3/digital audio player named the iPod. I can imagine a handwritten sign somewhere in Apple that says "It's the user interface, stupid!"

As for the logo, the round thing reminds me of the AT&T "Death Star" logo that showed up decades ago, and I hadn't even realized they changed/tweaked it four years ago (speaking of going lower case). This blog talks about it and has pics of the new at&t as well as the old AT&T logos, and also mentions the evolving Starbucks logo:
http://www.emvergeoning.com/?p=2033

But other than that, for this "xerox" thing I see red with a white cross. Reminds me sort of the Red Cross? Maybe not what Xerox wants me to think?
Meanwhile twitter got their bird logo as a non-exclusive design from a stock photo site--doesn't seem to slow them down any.
Yeah, but what about the Fail Whale? :)
The current designer's rule is to go all lower case. Way to blend in, Xerox.
Is there a name for that? The e e cummings effect, perhaps?

Actually,I suspect making a lower-case logo makes it and the company feel more acceptable/accessible to the young and "hip" who likely text in all-lower-case, and have even learned to see a single all-upper-case word or even three-letter sequence as SHOUTING.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
The Ipod was only possible because of the development of the Mp3 player designed by Diamond Rio. The Rio was the first MP3 player - and the first to take on the Recording Industry of America. They fought long and hard for the right to create and sell the technology. The legal fight almost bankrupted them - and when the smoke cleared, and they had won - Apple released the Ipod.

Talk about timing.

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Xerox redesign cost? I'm almost afraid to ask.
They wouldn't be the first to flush a few hundred thou down the crapper on a logo that someone else could have come up with in a couple hours at the drawing board.

nnetv.jpg

Last edited: