HEY HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywriter16

New at this!
Registered
Reaction score
So ive started a new book guys and i cant decide if its something that i really want to get into or not...? Here is the basic plot and tell me what you think...

A girl who has been engadged to here boyfriend for two years wakes up one morning and there is police at her house. They are there to tell her that her fiancee has been murdered. She is completely overwhelmed and distraught. She feels no hope and loses faith. Then some mysterious man comes to her and tells her that he has all she needs to help her find who murdered her love and bring back peace. She ends up following this mysterious mans directions and going anywhere he tells her, and she leaves without letting anyone know. What do you think so far?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a basic premise, it's fine.

I think one part you're going to have to really consider is how is this going to help the character overcome her grief. It's going to be too pat to have her find peace just by finding the person who murdered her fiancee. I think you're going to need to add a twist of sorts to the story.

Another thing to think about is whether this is a character study type of story, or more of a mystery. I think you're really more interested in the change the character goes through, but the mystery element will overwhelm the character story if you're not careful.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I agree with alleycat. Also, if you're questioning whether you're really "into" the premise, you might want to identify a key scene or two and try writing them without worrying about the rest of the novel to see how engaged you get with the characters. You might find yourself getting drawn into the story and feel compelled to continue writing, or you might not connect with the story right now and put it on the shelf.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
A girl who has been engadged to here boyfriend for two years wakes up one morning and there is police at her house. They are there to tell her that her fiancee has been murdered. She is completely overwhelmed and distraught. She feels no hope and loses faith. Then some mysterious man comes to her and tells her that he has all she needs to help her find who murdered her love and bring back peace. She ends up following this mysterious mans directions and going anywhere he tells her, and she leaves without letting anyone know. What do you think so far?

Call me cynical, but how does your main character know that she's not being manipulated by the killer?

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
Who is this mystery man? Does he reappear as the story unfolds? I hope he isn't Jesus.

I just finished a Christian/Biblical novel in which every time the main character has a crisis a mystery man appears in her dreams to comfort her. Of course, she doesn't know it's Jesus, but the reader does. I found it to be silly. Why not let your characters live real lifes instead of these Pollyannish fantasties???

That said, if you are an organic writer who does little formal plot outlining, there is merit in starting with a premise and following it to see where it leads. Be prepared for false starts, rewrites and overhauls. If there's a story there, it will eventually show itself.

I like MGraybosch's suggestion. Perhaps it IS the killer. Hmmm, interesting. Where can we go with that?

Peace and Blessings

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
So far, I agree with the others. Write that scene/chapter and see if you're enthused to write more. On the whole, I'd give your main character a marked-down grade for being TSTL (too stupid to live), following someone she doesn't know out of her life, and telling nobody, on a vague promise of peace. Or are you making an allegory here, about what happens when we follow an unknown Stranger on His promise of redemption?

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
To me, you answered your own question:
-----
"I can't decide if it's something that i really want to get into or not..."
-----

If you, the author/creater, are a bit undecided, then the reader will probably be, too. I have to be passionate about what I write because I'm going to be with it/the characters for months. I dream and think about them and can't wait to get back to them.

See if that's how you feel about them/the plot. If it really haunts you, then I think it's a go.

But if you're this undecided this early--at the beginning--that I see what us your muse is talking to you about.

Status
Not open for further replies.