• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Telescopes

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sort of kind of working on the research end of a back-burner project involving an astronomy club, and I have a few questions.

The main one involves telescopes. I'm trying to find what would be the most realistic type of telescope for the club to invest in. Anyone familiar with this area?

Standard reflector scope probably with a minimum of a 6" mirror, along with a motorized drive mount. Photography would likely be an interest of any club of this sort, so some form of digital camera and mount, as an accessory. You could google such stuff to find out typical price ranges.

caw

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Probably a Newtonian reflector. They are the most powerful and highest resolution telescopes for the size and money. Although a Cassegrain reflector is also a good choice. In any case, both are reflector types and that is what any astronomy club would aspire to.

Richard

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I googled, and there was a $1500 schmidt-cassegrain reflector from Meade on the first page. The Newtonian reflectors from the same company seem to cost more around $300. There was also a really cool 16" coma free telescope from meade, but it costs about $50,000, and what with budgetary restraints and all...

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a school club?

Most adult astronomy clubs are get-togethers (sometime called "star parties") where several people bring their telescopes.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For an school astronomy club, my first choice for the main telescope would probably be a Dobsonian, but the other suggestions that have been offered would work too.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Dobsonian is good because it is pretty simple and inexpesnsive (comparatively), right? But isn't it mainly for deep-sky viewing? I'll look into it more, I guess.

I was thinking more of smaller telescopes, though. Somewhat unrelatedly, would there be any benefits to using a refractor? Besides money, anyway(see below).

Also, on the price range: What do you think would be within a school club's budget?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would think a few members of a school astronomy club would have their own telescopes and bring them for the group to use, so you could have a variety of tubes. Even some binoculars work well for astronomy.