Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club, v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The old one hasn't died quite yet, but it is hovering on the brink of death. We know it's only a matter of time.

This is what my new coffee maker looks like, only it's white:

COFJWX27.png

ooh... very fancy. clock and everything.

when mine died recently I had to go with the bargain one - but as long as it brews, I don't care.

Of course, it also had a different filter type than the old one - which never fails, because I had extra filters.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since we're off on a coffee tangent at the moment, may I have a moment to rant?

At work, my boss brought in a coffee make with one of those "gold filters" that doesn't need a paper filter. She thinks it makes superior coffee.

Now, I'm not a coffee afficiando by a long stretch, but I have to say that I hate this coffee maker. With a passion.

1. There's no filter, so it's take out gold filter and beat the thing against the side of a trash can to get the old grounds out. Then it's rinse the gold filter to get the fine grounds off it, which puts grounds down the non-disposal drain, which clogs up the drain about 5 times a year. All-in-all it's really disgusting.

2. Even when the filter is newly rinsed/cleaned, there's a--the best way to describe it is a scum in the coffee that clings to the cup after it's been drunk. You don't notice it when you're drinking, but afterward, there's this thin layer of ewww wherever the coffee's touched.

It scares me that she thinks this makes superior coffee, or am I just a real coffee cretin and miss the point?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
nope... I had that problem myself with those kind of filters. Mostly it was getting it clean enough.

As for the scum, might trying cleaning the inside of the machine. Running it sans grounds, and sometimes i think with a little vinegar (not sure of that) supposedly helps.

I use paper filters, and would compost them if I had the option.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
to be perfectly honest, I have learned over the years that simply bra-shopping often results in less than exciting results, more or less.

Now, if you'd been lingerie shopping, I might be more intrigued. :D
(might also depend where you were shopping, mind you)

Well, I think a leopard print bra is more exciting than a plain white one, don't you?

ooh... very fancy. clock and everything.
when mine died recently I had to go with the bargain one - but as long as it brews, I don't care.
Of course, it also had a different filter type than the old one - which never fails, because I had extra filters.

I almost bought the cheaper coffee maker. But the last time around I went for the bargain kind and it hasn't lasted long at all.

I figure this one SHOULD last a while.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a really nice coffeemaker-- all shiny and special--from Macy's--sitting inside my cupboard, since I don't drink coffee.

I don't even know how to work it.

Well, the solution seems obvious, som1.

Send it to Boston as his Christmas gift.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
It scares me that she thinks this makes superior coffee, or am I just a real coffee cretin and miss the point?

Deleyan, I wonder if this is case of "I paid a lot of money for this... I shall stand by its charms and wonders even when said charms and wonders are not obvious to everyone else." Maybe?

writeronfire

Like my boots?
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, I goofed up.

How has everybody been doing?

I had the flu for a while. But now I'm better.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
I have an exam in a little over an hour. I feel very agitated now. I'm not sure why. I'm not one of those people who freezes and dies in exams, and I know the material.

*vents whinily*

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my brother's uses a french press.

But he's a coffee snob.

don;t have to be a snob to have a french press. I have one. it was great for being at work and making something other than the swill they pawned off as coffee...

and it's great for if I just want a single cup.

I'd grind my own beans if I could- they do taste better - but as I can't I'm not fussy.

Status
Not open for further replies.