PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club, v2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

Insana D
04-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Crikey, I don't mean to be mean. I'm trying like hell to be funny. My humor is probably an acquired taste and not funny to some at all. Really, I'm not a troll. I'm a desperately needy unemployed wannabe writer hoping to earn my stripes on this site with either post count or content till I either wear you all down or endear some so that eventually I'll fit in.

Really, I write. I write every day. I don't know if that makes me a writer, but it verifies my sincerity.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Because of the medium of forums, it helps to add smilies to be certain people get the joke until they get to know you.

Sometimes, even after they get to know you. ;)

Midnight Star
04-16-2010, 11:10 PM
I second what DL said. People often ask me to add smilies, and now it's a habit to make sure people understand jokes. It's hard to understand a tone of voice on the internet, so we use smilies instead.

Insana D
04-16-2010, 11:12 PM
My avatar is grinning from ear to ear. I'm channeling Molly Ivins and she told me that it's ok to be playful and silly and a little self depricating in order to garner a bit of acceptance. I was hoping her broad smile was enough to set the tone of my writing. I'll try to remember how to use the emoticons or write "I'M KIDDING" after every sentence. I'm kidding. Really, I'm kidding.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 11:14 PM
This is a serious question: Who's Molly Ivins?

Link is sufficient as an answer.

Midnight Star
04-16-2010, 11:15 PM
This is a serious question: Who's Molly Ivins?

That's what I've been wondering...

Insana D
04-16-2010, 11:19 PM
:tongue This is a reflection of how anyone anywhere anyhow should take my posts.

:) This is a reflection of my intent, friendly and playful, like a cocker spaniel.

;) This is a reflection of my silly nature, a bit naughty, willing to push the envelope a bit but not wanting to hurt anyone.

:evil This is a reflection of my brain patterns, always looking for the moment when I can tease, play, or poke fun at something that would oppress or hurt another.

:welcome:I don't use this one often. I forget names, details, and other stuff and so if you changed your avatar but kept your name, or vice versa, I'd think you were a whole new person and just assume it was a miracle that you knew as much about me as you did.

:Hug2:Assume I'm hugging each and every one of you. I extend the same and assume you like me till you say you don't.

:rant:I do this a lot, but not so much on this forum.

:hooray:I'll cheer for anyone that succeeds or gets close to the finish line. I'm not jealous, just envious and encouraged by your success.

:roll:If I bother to go to this guy I'll also include why I thought you were funny. It's the highest form of praise in my book.

Insana D
04-16-2010, 11:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Ivins

Ahh, Molly Ivins. She's dead. Stone Cold Dead but her words will live on forever. I loved her writing and spirit because she had the balls to stand up and say what needed to be said but did it in such a playful way that even her critics or the victims of her skewering knew she had merit. Some hated her for saying what so many others were thinking. She was the missing frontal lobe in Texas Politics, calling out corruption, graft, nepotism, good ol' boys politics, idiocy, etc.. She took it on the chin and up the rear and came out smiling every time. I miss her every day. When a few have compared me to her I feel awed and humbled and embarassed because I would have to stretch so far to reach that I wouldn't be able to see my feet.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Oh, is she the former governor of Texas that people adored so? I seem to recall my Texas friends talking highly about the lady governor before Dubya took office. Never knew her name or anything else about her, though.

Insana D
04-16-2010, 11:33 PM
No, I think you're thinking of Ann Richards, who lived and worked in the same circles as Molly Ivins. Molly wrote several great books and knew many famous politicians and celebrities and was a major celebrity herself in her later years before she died of cancer. Here's a list of some of her books:

1. Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights
by Molly Ivins, Lou Dubose

Paperback, Random House, Inc. (October 2008)
Other Formats: | Hardcover |

2. Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America

Paperback, Vintage Books (June 2004)
Other Formats: | Audio | Audio Cassette | Compact Disc | Hardcover |

3. Who Let The Dogs In?: Incredible Political Animals I Have Known
by Molly Ivins

Paperback, Random House, Inc. (July 2005)
Other Formats: | Audio | Hardcover |
List Price: $14.95

4. Shrub: The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush

Paperback, Vintage Books (October 2000)
Other Formats: | Audio Cassette | Compact Disc | Hardcover |
List Price: $11.00

5. Fifty Years Of The Texas Observer
by Char Miller (Editor), Molly Ivins (Foreword By)

Paperback, Trinity Univ Pr (September 2004)
List Price: $19.95

6. Sugar's Life in the Hood: The Story of a Former Welfare Mother
by Tracy Bachrach Ehlers, Sugar Turner, Molly Ivins (Foreword By)

Paperback, Univ of Texas Pr (September 2003)
List Price: $25.00

7. The Betrayal of America: How the Supreme Court Undermined the Constitution and Chose Our President
by Vincent Bugliosi, Gerry Spence (Foreword By), Molly Ivins (Introduction by)

Paperback, Nation Books (May 2001)
List Price: $9.95

8. You Got to Dance With Them What Brung You: Politics in the Clinton Years
by Molly Ivins

Paperback, Vintage Books (February 1999)
Other Formats: | Audio Cassette | Hardcover |
List Price: $13.00

9. Adventures of a No Name Actor
by Marco Perella, Molly Ivins (Foreword By)

Paperback, Bloomsbury Pub Plc USA (June 2002)
List Price: $14.95

10. Shrub: The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush
by Molly Ivins

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Tweedle deedle Tweedle deedle:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/04/15/robots.real/index.html?hpt=C2

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 11:36 PM
No, I think you're thinking of Ann Richards, who lived and worked in the same circles as Molly Ivins. Molly wrote several great books and knew many famous politicians and celebrities and was a major celebrity herself in her later years before she died of cancer. Here's a list of some of her books:

Ah. Politics. That's why I've never heard of her. I don't do politics if I can help it and, generally, I can help it.

Insana D
04-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Sorry to de-rail here. This will just take a minute. Here's a few quotes by the late great Molly Ivins that mean a lot to me and my perspective on the world.

Selected Molly Ivins Quotations

• The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging.

• What you need is sustained outrage...there's far too much unthinking respect given to authority.

• Think of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous.

• The thing about democracy, beloveds, is that it is not neat, orderly, or quiet. It requires a certain relish for confusion.

• Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful.

• There are two kinds of humor. One kind that makes us chuckle about our foibles and our shared humanity -- like what Garrison Keillor does. The other kind holds people up to public contempt and ridicule -- that's what I do. Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful. I only aim at the powerful. When satire is aimed at the powerless, it is not only cruel -- it's vulgar.

• I believe that ignorance is the root of all evil. And that no one knows the truth.

• You can't ignore politics, no matter how much you'd like to.

• It is possible to read the history of this country as one long struggle to extend the liberties established in our Constitution to everyone in America.

• What stuns me most about contemporary politics is not even that the system has been so badly corrupted by money. It is that so few people get the connection between their lives and what the bozos do in Washington and our state capitols.

Politics is not a picture on a wall or a television sitcom that you can decide you don't much care for.

• There's never been a law yet that didn't have a ridiculous consequence in some unusual situation; there's probably never been a government program that didn't accidentally benefit someone it wasn't intended to. Most people who work in government understand that what you do about it is fix the problem -- you don't just attack the whole government.

• I believe in practicing prudence at least once every two or three years.

• It's hard to argue against cynics -- they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side.

• Being slightly paranoid is like being slightly pregnant - it tends to get worse.

• I still believe in Hope - mostly because there's no such place as Fingers Crossed, Arkansas.

• One function of the income gap is that the people at the top of the heap have a hard time even seeing those at the bottom. They practically need a telescope. The pharaohs of ancient Egypt probably didn't waste a lot of time thinking about the people who built their pyramids, either. OK, so it's not that bad yet -- but it's getting that bad.

• It's like, duh. Just when you thought there wasn't a dime's worth of difference between the two parties, the Republicans go and prove you're wrong.

• In the real world, there are only two ways to deal with corporate misbehavior: One is through government regulation and the other is by taking them to court. What has happened over 20 years of free-market proselytizing is that we have dangerously weakened both forms of restraint, first through the craze for "deregulation" and second through endless rounds of "tort reform," all of which have the effect of cutting off citizens' access to the courts. By legally bribing politicians with campaign contributions, the corporations have bought themselves immunity from lawsuits on many levels.

• Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory.

• During a recent panel on the numerous failures of American journalism, I proposed that almost all stories about government should begin: "Look out! They're about to smack you around again!"

• I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives.

• The United States of America is still run by its citizens. The government works for us. Rank imperialism and warmongering are not American traditions or values. We do not need to dominate the world. We want and need to work with other nations. We want to find solutions other than killing people. Not in our name, not with our money, not with our children's blood.

• from her last column, January 11, 2007: We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some action to help stop this war. Raise hell. Think of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous. Make our troops know we're for them and trying to get them out of there.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 11:41 PM
:Hug2:Assume I'm hugging each and every one of you.

:Wha:

okay, all the rest of those were fine... but uh.,.. personal space there ID, personal space.

:D

slcboston
04-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Ah. Politics. That's why I've never heard of her. I don't do politics if I can help it and, generally, I can help it.

*nods solemly*

this, definitely this

Insana D
04-16-2010, 11:43 PM
I can understand why some loathe politics. I do too but can't help but get a little involved or at least informed on some subjects. In my dreams I'd be able to live in a sweet bubble world where such things didn't mean diddly squat to me. It seems sweeter and safer to not have to think about it and I know many who live very happy lives without ever turning on the news.

My cause is against religious injustice. Politics is big and religion is big and I'm not really up to the challenge of either, but I can pull down the pants of my own religious past and expose it for what it does and did to me and others, and give the world a chance to laugh at that shrivelled junk and maybe take those bigots and corrupt men down a notch or two. I want to help tell other peoples stories and give them a voice when they feel sequestered or squashed. I want our stories to touch and motivate and inspire. If not that, then to at least entertain or inform.

I'm here on AW to learn what I need to learn to make all that possible. And to play with words which is my favorite pasttime. You folks are great playmates.

Gabriele Campbell
04-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Talking carrots don't happen by accident. :D)

No, they happen be genetic manipulations gone wrong. :tongue But I still prefer talking carrots to Dutch tomatoes which are perfectly round, perfectly red, and perfectly tastefree. ;)

DeleyanLee
04-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Now for something completely different:

:e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon:

Gabriele Campbell
04-17-2010, 12:03 AM
:2angel:

You ain't fooling no one with that smiley. :D

DeleyanLee
04-17-2010, 12:05 AM
What? :2angel: It's as natural as my hair color.

Gabriele Campbell
04-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Now for something completely different:

:e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon: :e2moon:

:wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag: :wag:

Gabriele Campbell
04-17-2010, 12:10 AM
What? :2angel: It's as natural as my hair color.

That's what I mean. :)

slcboston
04-17-2010, 12:28 AM
That's what I mean. :)

:ROFL:

the German said it first

DeleyanLee
04-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Did I mention that I've known Gabriele for far too long? ;)

slcboston
04-17-2010, 06:54 AM
... ooh, another quiet thread for me to talk to myself in.

*wonders how many of these I can find tonight... or how quickly I'll get bored of the concept*

Synonym
04-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Not a lot of fun, talking to yourself?

slcboston
04-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Kind of all depends on the answers I get.

Synonym
04-17-2010, 07:13 AM
I hope you find someone sharper than I am if you're hoping for 'sparkling' conversation tonight. :D

I tried that dirty 'e' word stuff this evening with a friend. (exercise--get your mind out of the gutter.) Remind me to pick friends that have shorter legs to go walking with next time. Sheez.

slcboston
04-17-2010, 07:20 AM
You know... I'm trying here...

and I can't really come up with any dirty "e" words. Your vocabulary is apparently more expansive than mine.

Synonym
04-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Um. I can't either so I guess that means my vocabulary is shot. Surely I could think of something....nope. Stupid tired tonight apparently. Sorry about that. :D

slcboston
04-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Hmm...

Well, now I'm going to have to either think of one... or make one up. Cause it'll bug me otherwise.

sadron
04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
hello! :D

I see people are fooling around here.

DeleyanLee
04-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Like this is something new?

LaurieD
04-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I tried that dirty 'e' word stuff this evening with a friend. (exercise--get your mind out of the gutter.) Remind me to pick friends that have shorter legs to go walking with next time. Sheez.

At first glance, I thought you were talking about trying out a smexy online writing site with a friend. :e2brows:

Then I read your second sentence and got confused.

You know... I'm trying here...
and I can't really come up with any dirty "e" words. Your vocabulary is apparently more expansive than mine.

Um. I can't either so I guess that means my vocabulary is shot. Surely I could think of something....nope. Stupid tired tonight apparently. Sorry about that. :D

And then I read these and went "oooohhhh.... Yeah.... Right..." :Wha:

"Ooooh! Now I get it!"

*headsmack*

Ouch...

My Dr. Pepper levels must be dropping...

slcboston
04-17-2010, 11:05 PM
*sings, badly and off-key*

I'm a pepper you're a pepper be a pepper too!

Which, honestly, as jingles go, never made much sense to me

LaurieD
04-17-2010, 11:15 PM
You're right... Never thought about it before but it doesn't make sense...

I was always a fan of the old Coke song... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfU17niXOG8)

slcboston
04-17-2010, 11:38 PM
This is the one I always think of, with candles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCsFvVg0UY&feature=related).

Of course, it's now stuck in my head, along with all the scary 70's people. *SO* glad I essentially missed that decade.

:scared:

LaurieD
04-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes, the ad with candles it the one I remember specifically.

My recollection of the 70's is blurred - I was born just about halfway through that decade, so...

Sweetleaf
04-17-2010, 11:48 PM
I can remember it being 1980, but no further back than that.

Now I am showing my age. :cry:

Sweetleaf
04-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Hi Laurie :hi:

LaurieD
04-17-2010, 11:52 PM
:hi: Hey OT!

It's okay, OT, don't cry. I'm a couple years older than you; I find acting like I'm 10 here helps keep me think I'm still in my 20's. :D

*passes OT a tissue*

slcboston
04-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Yes, the ad with candles it the one I remember specifically.

One of my early tv memories too, I think. Either that I'm confusing it with the remade version they did with skiers.

Synonym
04-18-2010, 12:53 AM
At first glance, I thought you were talking about trying out a smexy online writing site with a friend. :e2brows:

Then I read your second sentence and got confused.

I tend to have that effect on people. And um, well we won't go into the online writing. Heh, heh...;)

slcboston
04-18-2010, 01:08 AM
ok - later reppers

dinner beckons

Synonym
04-18-2010, 01:10 AM
I think someone got confused...or did he call us all dogs?

DeleyanLee
04-18-2010, 02:58 AM
I think he's confused, deffo. I'm sure he'll plead that he's posting in the wrong thread or some such.

slcboston
04-18-2010, 07:31 AM
I have no idea what you two are talking about it.

I said "reppers." Quite clearly.

Yup.

*continues whistling innocently*

Synonym
04-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Uh-huh. I notice some editing has been done while I was out burning the rest of the countryside down. :D

slcboston
04-18-2010, 07:58 AM
I know nothing of which you speak.

Synonym
04-18-2010, 08:17 AM
You've suddenly become quite forgetful. That's very handy. :D

slcboston
04-18-2010, 08:25 AM
I was a Political Science major.

Plausible Deniability was a required course.

Synonym
04-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Oh dear. Now you tell me.:ROFL:

slcboston
04-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Better late than never?

Speaking of late, I must be off.

gnight all :sleepy:

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Good morning, reppers. Another day to work, le sigh. It was busy all weekend. Then I wasn't feeling well yesterday and puttered around the house doing some cleaning. I still don't feel so well this morning.

Synonym
04-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Sorry to hear that TJ. Certainly wouldn't wish that on anyone. :)

Hope it leaves you at some point today. Preferably before you get to work.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Happy Monday.

Maybe if we keep saying it, it'll come true. I can hope, right?

I dyed my hair over the weekend. It was supposed to come out "light auburn". I now look like the love child of Bozo the Clown and Midge. I HATE IT. I look washed out and sickly. My family agrees.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW outside my house is just going on and on about how good I look. They're STUNNED when I say that I despise it and will change it ASAP. Even more, they tell me I'm crazy 'cause I "look so good".

Do people just have an inbred need to make someone feel worse?

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Poor Del. Didn't you know washed out and sickly is the new look? :D

I'm at work and not feeling any better at all. Bleh.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 05:15 PM
I've always striven to be the opposite of "the look" since I'm too practical to be fashionable.

Have you tried the cracker routine, if it's your tummy? It works well.

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
My stomach's a little upset, but not too much. Right now I'm doing the chug water thing in case it's dehydration, which makes you feel really funny in pregnancy.

I'm wondering if I'm having a symptomless UTI. I've gotten them before while pregnant.

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
And I get you on "the look" thing. I'm practical to the extreme.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 05:29 PM
My stomach's a little upset, but not too much. Right now I'm doing the chug water thing in case it's dehydration, which makes you feel really funny in pregnancy.

I'm wondering if I'm having a symptomless UTI. I've gotten them before while pregnant.

Chug cranberry and/or orange juice then. It can't hurt and, if you're right, it can help. ;)

LaurieD
04-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Morning all...

Sorry you're not up to par TJ - hope you're feeling better soon.

It rained all weekend here - hopefully washing enough of the oak pollen off/away that my little guy's asthma is better. He only went to school Wednesday last week and we ended up at the pediatrician's office Friday. Poor kid's a walking pharmacy and even at that, his symptoms were barely controlled last week. He did a bit better yesterday, so I let him go to school this morning - fingers crossed all goes well for him.

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Chug cranberry and/or orange juice then. It can't hurt and, if you're right, it can help. ;)
Last time I had one it took two rounds of antibiotics to get the sucker gone.

The longer I sit here, the less I think it's that, though. I don't know what's going on. I just wanna go to bed, though. I know that much.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
It was cold and miserable here all weekend, which means we now have to finish up the yardwork after I get home at 7PM all week. Rah.

Another 3-4 hours of sleep sounds really marvy to me.

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 05:50 PM
We didn't get much rain, really, but it sure cooled off. It's now seasonable again.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm just going to be so glad when this whole graduation thing is over with and I don't have to think about it anymore. I just hate parties to start with, and all this prep isn't improving my mood.

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
I never realized how hard party planning was until I had my own kids.

I have so much more respect for my parents now than ever.

milly
04-19-2010, 06:04 PM
getting ready to plan a birthday party for my little one myself and I am stretched so thin as it is on time that, I am preparing myself for the migraine that will undoubtedly hit me later this week as I try to cram everything in

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
How old is the little one, Mil?

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Tis quiet around the boards this morning.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 07:41 PM
I've been noticing that. Actually getting some money work done.

'Tis frightening.

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm trying to get stuff done because I'm thinking about getting out of here early. Only, I'm not sure I should be driving. I'm going to try eating some lunch in a little while and see how I feel. I'm kind of dizzy with no real cause.

slcboston
04-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Tis quiet around the boards this morning.

i was sick. Not my fault.

morning reppers

slcboston
04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
getting ready to plan a birthday party for my little one myself and I am stretched so thin as it is on time that, I am preparing myself for the migraine that will undoubtedly hit me later this week as I try to cram everything in

I;m not sure which is worse - migraines or birthday parties. At what point did those become something other than just cake and ice cream with some friends? When did they start requiring *themes* for pity's sake?

I was lucky, I got away with party hats and specialty plates and napkins, plus some balloons. This year.

Next year... we'll see.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
I got away with giving that task over to my sister and mother, both of whom delight in that kind of nonsense. Which is good, since they'd've never had a birthday party if I had to do it. I never even liked attending my own.

And I've recently been informed that 'tis my duty to take all the relatives out on Friday and "show them Pittsburgh" for the day. Slitting my wrists would be more enjoyable.

No, I don't much like my family. Not at all.

slcboston
04-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Hmm... does showing them Pittsburgh include pushing them off a bridge?

Or maybe you can just start with the prison and call it a day?

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
I was thinking of that.

Or pushing them off the Incline. Or even taking them to see the falcons at the Catheral and--oopsie!

It's crossed my mind.

slcboston
04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I never actually did the incline while I lived in Pittsburgh. I was up on the hill/bluff/whatever once... but mainly bcs I got lost.

Yes, I know, lost in Pittsburgh. Go figure, right?

slcboston
04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
And I didn't know the falcons had relocated to the U of P's cathedral. Last I knew - which was ten years ago, mind you- the falcons were roosting downtown.

Or is this a new pair?

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Can't imagine getting lost in Pittsburgh. I mean, the roads are so neatly laid out in this nice grid, and all the street signs are so easily read from a distance it's easy to get into the correct lane and.... :roll:

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
And I didn't know the falcons had relocated to the U of P's cathedral. Last I knew - which was ten years ago, mind you- the falcons were roosting downtown.

Or is this a new pair?

The oldest pair nests on the Cathedral. I don't know if it's the original pair or not, but I believe it's the oldest pair in the city now. There are about 10-12 pairs of falcons in Pittsburgh presently, IIRC. Most of them are downtown. Chicks are gathered and sent off to other cities since we're already having territory disputes.

There's a "falcon cam" on the Cathedral pair's nest. I believe there's a few eggs in there already. A year or so ago, it caught a fight on the ledge between the established male and a younger rival (who got sent packing).

One of the perks of working in Oakland is that it's not uncommon to look up at streetlight, top of a building or even in the sky and see one of the falcons there. Very very cool.

slcboston
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey, at least you *have* street signs. Living in Boston was the first time where I ever looked back on driving in Pittsburgh and went "you know, it's not so bad." In Boston the streets tended not to be marked, and I swear every major intersection had five roads -and the one you were on was *never* straight across from you. That was always some other road.

Mind you, in Pittsburgh the signs were usually placed so close to where you had to turn to be useless (thinking of the bridge leading to the tunnels) ... but at least you *knew* you'd made a wrong turn.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
There was a mayor about 10 years ago who made it her duty to the citizens to completely redo all the street signs in Pittsburgh. ALL, not just down town.

It's actually rather nice now, compared to the horror stories I heard previous to moving here.

I just wish the natives would stop giving directions that include things like "Turn left just past the house that used to be purple and drive down to the corner where the lightning struck the light pole...."

LaurieD
04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
And I've recently been informed that 'tis my duty to take all the relatives out on Friday and "show them Pittsburgh" for the day. Slitting my wrists would be more enjoyable.

No, I don't much like my family. Not at all.

The last time mine came out this way was summer about 7 years ago. I marched them through the Tulsa zoo in 90 something degree heat with high 90 something % humidity then took them out for spicy Mexican.

:tongue

LaurieD
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
The streets here aren't too bad - until you cross an invisible city/town/county line.

For example, the street I live on is 149th at one end, 156th at the other and it's only about a mile or two long

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
The streets here aren't too bad - until you cross an invisible city/town/county line.

For example, the street I live on is 149th at one end, 156th at the other and it's only about a mile or two long

I once worked on a road that changed its name 4 times, depending on where in the curve you were.

Ann Arbor, not Pittsburgh, FWIW.

milly
04-19-2010, 09:37 PM

about to be 5

*wipes tear from eye*

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Ah, the fun, exuberant age. Good luck with it.

slcboston
04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
My little one's hit 6.

Kinda think I miss 5.

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 10:05 PM
1.5 and 4 are very interesting.

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I much prefer 22 and 24, personally. It's nice when the kids can buy you beer. ;)

milly
04-19-2010, 10:23 PM
I much prefer 22 and 24, personally. It's nice when the kids can buy you beer. ;)

ooh...that will be nice!

Still, about to start school and it's killing me, not to mention my 20 month old is in the "no" stage already

wasn't she just barely able to sit up on her own? :(

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Those days are like childbirth to me--I know they happened, I have the briefest of impressions from that time, but I really don't remember it.

But, then, at that time I was more embroiled in child support and visitation fights, so it's not surprising that I don't remember details.

slcboston
04-19-2010, 10:31 PM
I have to say I handled school pretty well. It helped that she'd been to preschool, and that she liked it, so that I knew she was going to something where she had a good time. First week or so she went to pre-school was an adjustment all around, but once she got through that...

She marched off to Kindergarten with no problems at all. Mind you, Dad teared up a bit after dropping her off, realizing she'd reached a major milestone now that she was at a big school and all... but, yeah, they grow up fast.

I have noticed, already at 6, that the inevitable pulling away from constantly being Daddy's girl has begun. I dropped something off for her at school today because we forgot to bring it in, and whereas in pre-school I'd have gotten a hug or something, I got a barely mumbled "thank you daddy" before she went and rejoined her classmates.

She's still Daddy's girl for the most part... but the shift has started.

milly
04-19-2010, 10:41 PM
She's still Daddy's girl for the most part... but the shift has started.

Mine still loves me to show up and help her or bring her something but...I can feel it coming on, little things like not wanting me to help her with her shoes if we are around her friends at preschool, etc...it is really hard to watch already. Dear God...what will I do when she starts dating?

*ponders where hubby will keep the shotgun hidden* :)

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
I guess I'm weird. I always looked forward to those times when they became more independent, became their own person. I never wanted children who clung to my apron strings. Ever.

In our house, going to school was a positive thing for everyone. Special breakfast, special dinner, good times. The first day of school was a celebration. By the time second grade came along, they were almost as excited about going back to school as I was for them to go.

Figured that was the easiest way for everyone in short and long term. I'm weird AND lazy. ;)

slcboston
04-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm glad she's getting independent, don't get me wrong...

it's just kind of a bittersweet moment, is all.

.... and I'm not ready to contemplate the dating years yet. One step at a time. :D

slcboston
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
speaking of such things...

library for us today so I must be going

later reppers

DeleyanLee
04-19-2010, 11:13 PM
.... and I'm not ready to contemplate the dating years yet. One step at a time. :D

My daughter started "dating" when she was 11. She announced to everyone in the family that Danny was now her boyfriend.

It lasted less than a fortnight before she announced that it was over.

I asked her why. She said, "Because we don't do anything different now that we're boyfriend-girlfriend than we did when we were just friends, so it's stupid to give him the special title."

I stopped worrying about her going on dates.

LaurieD
04-19-2010, 11:20 PM
When my son was in preschool, he had a very sad face when I picked him up. When I asked what was wrong he informed me that Anna didn't want to be his girlfriend any more, that she wanted to be John's girlfriend and that he couldn't possibly go back to school without a girlfriend. Needless to say, he went back. That afternoon, he was all grins when I picked him up.

"How'd your day go, Bud?"

"Great! Emma's my girlfriend!"

By the time we hit kindergarten last year, the only girls he wanted to play with were the ones willing to play as rough and tumble as the boys. The gotta have a girlfriend stage ended.

tjwriter
04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
ooh...that will be nice!

Still, about to start school and it's killing me, not to mention my 20 month old is in the "no" stage already

wasn't she just barely able to sit up on her own? :(
Ha! My 16 month old has been doing "No!" for a couple of months already. She looks you up and down before saying it too.

Don't know where she got that defiant streak. *Walks away whistling innocently.*

milly
04-20-2010, 12:28 AM
yeah...mine slaps at the same time when she says it and seriously, I held her hand the other day and it was as if she couldn't say "no" unless she could flap her hand at me at the same time...hilarious :)

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 12:32 AM
I was the child, when given a choice between cleaning my room or getting a spanking, chose the spanking.

This one appears to have the same defiant, hard head.

I. Am. So. Screwed.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 12:34 AM
I have to say... other than a stubborn, argumentative streak that she gets from *somewhere* (I blame her mother :D) for the most part my girl's got good habits. Still working on getting her to clean her room properly... she's showing disturbing tendencies of having inherited the genes that my sister had in that regard :scared:

but we're working on that.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 12:36 AM
By the time we hit kindergarten last year, the only girls he wanted to play with were the ones willing to play as rough and tumble as the boys.

So, in other words, he wanted someone like my girl?

*eyes Laurie's little one suspiciously*

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 12:37 AM
I was that girl on the playground. Always played with the boys because they were having more fun. I was filthy and the knees of my pants never lasted long enough.

I married a guy that liked that about me.

milly
04-20-2010, 01:09 AM
I was the girl that pushed boys, you know, the one who wouldn't just talk to them but thought it was a good idea to beat the crap out of them to get their attention...and yeah, lucky for me, I married a guy that liked that about me...well, he survived me long enough to love me :) hehe

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Some days things just make you go "Ewwww!"

Like when you read about a guy you "went out" with in 8th grade getting arrested for having a baby in a house with an active meth lab.

Ewwww.

Synonym
04-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Interesting discussion today everyone.

I'm with Del, I know I went through all that but the mind...is busy with new, more interesting things, apparently. My daughter was a total PITA when puberty hit. That I do remember. But karma has a way of coming around to even the score. She's got the orneriest 3 yr. old boy and her little girl reminds me a lot of her at one and a half. I think she's in for it, big time. :D

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 03:49 AM
I was the child, when given a choice between cleaning my room or getting a spanking, chose the spanking.

This one appears to have the same defiant, hard head.

I. Am. So. Screwed.

When my mother was a girl, Gramma cursed her with "I hope you have a daughter just like YOU."

She did. Daughter #2 (not me).

When my sister was young, my mother said, "My mom wished I had one kid like me. I hope you have twins just like you."

My sister has twins. It's looking possible.

To me, that's a terrible curse.

Synonym
04-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Hey, look at it this way. YOU lucked out. LOL

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 04:25 AM
I'm not sure.

I got a daughter who's the total opposite of me.

Heh.

Synonym
04-20-2010, 04:26 AM
When you're too much alike, the sparks fly fairly hot. VOE :)

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 04:30 AM
And when you're too much alike, the parent doesn't "get" their kid enough to be there in the right way for them.

Either way is really stressful.

Synonym
04-20-2010, 05:31 AM
Parenthood is stressful. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad, in the long run. It did for me at least...so far.

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 05:35 AM
In the end, yes. But getting through it was sometimes something I wasn't sure about at various times. ;)

But I think that's normal.

Synonym
04-20-2010, 05:36 AM
I hope so. :D

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Considering I hear it from the generations ahead of me, I'll go with that.

LOL!

LaurieD
04-20-2010, 05:38 AM
When I went back home recently for my Grandmother's 90th bday party, they'd assembled sheets of posterboard with pictures of her from her teenage years to present day. One of the pics of me when I was about 10 is like looking at my 10 yro girl now. Only our noses and eye color are different. Personality-wise, she's her father all over again. It's hilarious when they lose patience with each other... they both throw whatever's in their hand and stop out the nearest door - usually her to her room, him to the garage. Same facial expressions and everything... too funny.

My son on the other hand, looks a lot like my hubs in certain pics, nothing like him in others, looks nothing like my side of the family at all... but acts just like me - same fuse on the temper, same non-morning person/night owl tendencies.

LaurieD
04-20-2010, 05:48 AM
So, in other words, he wanted someone like my girl?

*eyes Laurie's little one suspiciously*

Sorry, your girl missed that boat. :wag:

He's in first grade with no interest in a girlfriend. The girls who are his friends are the ones who play like boys because they can keep up.

He's very soft hearted - anyone falls, he's right there to make sure they're ok.

Synonym
04-20-2010, 05:52 AM
It would be doomed anyway. These long-distance relationships rarely work out. :roll:

LaurieD
04-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Also a good point, Syn.

;)

slcboston
04-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Sorry, your girl missed that boat. :wag:

You implying my girl's not good enough there, skwirrel?

:wag:

Just as well, especially if he's that much like you.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 06:28 AM
and... honestly... day two of kindergarten. My little one has made new friends, of which I'm glad. And she tells me all about how she played with Abby on the playground.

All is good, until she tells me that Abby likes to chase the boys. And catch them. And kiss them.

:eek:

I'm thinking, I'm not ready for this. Not by a mile. Please god I don't want this conversation right now.

Then she continues, she doesn't want to kiss the boys. So I told her she didn't have to.

... and I was proud of myself. I refrained from going "YES!! Keep that thought for the next 10 yrs."

... at least out loud.

Synonym
04-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Good luck, mister. Just keep telling yourself she isn't going to be interested. :) You might want to consider learning something intimidating like oh, martial arts by the time dating age arrives. Manage to always be wearing your 'uniform' when the date shows up. Have a trophy or two (even if you have to buy it at a pawn shop) prominently displayed. Casually mention it...and how protective you are. LOL

slcboston
04-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Oh, no...

I intend to be a bit more subtle about it. Subtle is scarier. Just not sure how, yet...

Maybe karate lessons for *her*

Synonym
04-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Hmmmm.:idea:

I think we have a winner.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 07:02 AM
I rather thought so.

Besides, it's something she's sort of expressed interest in already. Sure, it might limit her dating pool.... but she can do better than any guy that would be intimidated in the first place

at least that's my philosophy

Synonym
04-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Yeah...just think of all those hot, sweaty guys in her class. God, I do love to torment you. :D

Synonym
04-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Since I started this thread where most of you don't go, I would like to invite you to 'subscribe' and join me for the writer's retreat I'm going on at the end of this month. I'll try to keep it entertaining. :)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177688

slcboston
04-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Yeah...just think of all those hot, sweaty guys in her class. God, I do love to torment you. :D

You.

Suck.

... just saying.

*wonders if they have "girl's only" classes*

Synonym
04-20-2010, 07:20 AM
I'd start looking now, if I were you. Like-minded fathers will be doing the same thing. :D

slcboston
04-20-2010, 07:29 AM
eh....

honestly, I expect mostly that if I do a good enough job raising her, and trust her to make the right choices, and let her know that- as well as knowing no matter what, I'll be there for her - it will all work out.

well, between that and the blade collection. You watch Bones? Catch last week's episode with Robert Englund guest starring? That shack of axes, scissors, and blades? Yeah, that's where I'm taking them for that pre-date talk. :D

Synonym
04-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Practice a crazed stare in the mirror and develop a good tic to use while you're at it.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Nah... that'd be overselling.

Creepy works best when it's *just* this side of normal.

:evil

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
My husband keeps trying to pull the protective parent thing and those boys better watch out. I keep telling him that he shouldn't be worried about the boys. He should be worried for the boys. Our daughters are firecrackers.

Synonym
04-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Nah... that'd be overselling.

Creepy works best when it's *just* this side of normal.

:evil

Remind me to tell you about the time I chewed out three of our 'star' football players in front of the county Sheriff's Deputy and five fifteen-year-old girls. :D

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Remind me to tell you about the time I chewed out three of our 'star' football players in front of the county Sheriff's Deputy and five fifteen-year-old girls. :D

Now that sounds like an interesting story.

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Syn, consider yourself reminded. :D

LaurieD
04-20-2010, 06:38 PM
*grumbles into thread...*

Some people, like most of the people in Tulsa, should not be allowed to drive.

*flops in chair*

What're we talking about today?

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Doesn't seem like much at the moment. Got a topic?

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 07:01 PM
*grumbles into thread...*

*flops in chair*

What're we talking about today?
I'll see your people of Tulsa and raise you the idiots of Evansville. They all have death wishes, I swear.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 07:46 PM

so....

details?

C'mon now, just can't leave something like that hanging.

Alpha Echo
04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Hello...

slcboston
04-20-2010, 07:50 PM

you know... for some odd reason, one of the rambling dreams I had last night (which included monsters in a locker room and a stadium concessions stand) - you were driving my car. Badly. In a snow-covered parking lot. And then it was my folks SUV, which you were also driving, badly, before you disappeared from the whole thing.

No, I don't know why.

I blame the vestiges of my illness.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Hello...

You.... look vaguely familiar.

Not sure why.

:idea:

Don't worry, it'll come to me.

Welcome back AE! Where you been?

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Hello...

How's it shaking, AE?

Alpha Echo
When I went back home recently for my Grandmother's 90th bday party, they'd assembled sheets of posterboard with pictures of her from her teenage years to present day. One of the pics of me when I was about 10 is like looking at my 10 yro girl now. Only our noses and eye color are different. Personality-wise, she's her father all over again. It's hilarious when they lose patience with each other... they both throw whatever's in their hand and stop out the nearest door - usually her to her room, him to the garage. Same facial expressions and everything... too funny.

My son on the other hand, looks a lot like my hubs in certain pics, nothing like him in others, looks nothing like my side of the family at all... but acts just like me - same fuse on the temper, same non-morning person/night owl tendencies.

That must be so neat to recognize that kind of stuff in your children. :)

Alpha Echo
You.... look vaguely familiar.

Not sure why.

:idea:

Don't worry, it'll come to me.

Welcome back AE! Where you been?

Writing some, working lots. :tongue. For some reason whenever I decide to hang out here, something gets in the way.

How's it shaking, AE?

Pretty well! :D You?

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 07:57 PM
So I put brown over the neon-clown red of my hair last night.

All those people who told me that they totally loved the Bozo/Midge red yesterday are now ooing and ahhing over the new color.

Just tells me never to trust their opinion, y'know?

So looking forward to the end of next week. No more kid in school. No more fussing with graduation party. And the following weekend, she goes totally away and life can be totally mine again.

I might even be able to write again. Who knows?

slcboston
04-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Writing some, working lots. :tongue. For some reason whenever I decide to hang out here, something gets in the way.

That's just wrong. You should complain to your union. Or something.

Alpha Echo
04-20-2010, 08:01 PM
How did you have red hair? I missed a lot. The grad party - how was that or is it coming up soon? Yay to life being your own again. :)

slcboston
04-20-2010, 08:03 PM
All those people who told me that they totally loved the Bozo/Midge red yesterday are now ooing and ahhing over the new color

A forum I used to hang out on had a smiley which said "This topic is useless without pictures."

I miss having that smiley, right about now....

LaurieD
04-20-2010, 08:13 PM
you know... for some odd reason, one of the rambling dreams I had last night (which included monsters in a locker room and a stadium concessions stand) - you were driving my car. Badly. In a snow-covered parking lot. And then it was my folks SUV, which you were also driving, badly, before you disappeared from the whole thing.

No, I don't know why.

I blame the vestiges of my illness.

Yes... :Wha:

Let's blame food poisoning... :crazy:

Actually, I'm a pretty good driver - I've had just one accident, if you can count it - my trailer hitch bumped the car behind enough to put a nickle size ding in someone's profoundly dented bumper. And I've only actually been ticketed for speeding once. Yes. I'm a good driver. :D

LaurieD
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM

And naps... don't forget we need naps...

Oh, wait, I don't actually work with anyone... I'm contract help...

Ohhhh... :D

LaurieD
04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
So I put brown over the neon-clown red of my hair last night.

All those people who told me that they totally loved the Bozo/Midge red yesterday are now ooing and ahhing over the new color.

That's good. Glad you got if fixed before someone actually mistook you for a clown and lobbed a pie in your direction.

Or squirted a bottle of seltzer water...

Or tried to smush you into an itty bitty car with 50 clowns...

Or...

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
How did you have red hair? I missed a lot. The grad party - how was that or is it coming up soon? Yay to life being your own again. :)

I tried to dye it "light auburn" and it came out Bozo-neon-red. Everyone at work said they LOVED it! I shouldn't ever change it. Just looking in the mirror made me want to cry.

And the party is May 1st. Not soon enough, believe me.

A forum I used to hang out on had a smiley which said "This topic is useless without pictures."

I miss having that smiley, right about now....

There are no pictures. I refuse to have physical evidence of great disasters in my life. It's easier to allow them to fade from memory.

Not that I allow many pictures of myself to exist in the first place, mind you. ;)

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Or tried to smush you into an itty bitty car with 50 clowns...

That would one way to meet people. ;)

Alpha Echo
04-20-2010, 08:24 PM

I really should. I mean, work at work?

Except I'm not part of the union. Damnit.

Alpha Echo
04-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I tried to dye it "light auburn" and it came out Bozo-neon-red. Everyone at work said they LOVED it! I shouldn't ever change it. Just looking in the mirror made me want to cry.

And the party is May 1st. Not soon enough, believe me.

There are no pictures. I refuse to have physical evidence of great disasters in my life. It's easier to allow them to fade from memory.

Not that I allow many pictures of myself to exist in the first place, mind you. ;)

Once, I went to a salon and spent a ton of money. I told them I wanted auburn. It turned out pretty...orange.

After it faded, it looked nice - strawberry blond. But until then...oooh boy. I think my dad has one picture of me during that time. I want to burn it.

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I spend under $10 for a box and do it at home. I see no reason to pay people tons of money to do what I don't mind doing at home.

I prefer strawberry blonde, but thought that something a little darker might be nice. Won't make that mistake again.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Wow.

I am so glad I have never felt the urge to change my hair color.

And now never will.

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 09:26 PM
We'll remind you of that next time you're trying to decide what color to make your fleece there, sheep-boy.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 09:28 PM
I really should. I mean, work at work?

Except I'm not part of the union. Damnit.

I was. Once.

You're not really missing much, bcs as near as I could tell, all they ever accomplished for me was to take away part of my paycheck and resist attempts to overhaul the sales floor in a way that would actually make it more equitable for everyone - probably bcs the reps were all the long-haulers who benefitted more under the current system.

Then again, I'm cynical.

Alpha Echo
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Del - I don't pay to get it done anymore. I do it by myself for $10 now too. :) Sometimes, I miss getting highlights done, but there are so many things I'd rather spend money on, and as much as i can be a girly girl, I'm not a high-maintainance one.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
We'll remind you of that next time you're trying to decide what color to make your fleece there, sheep-boy.

that's different.

.... and usually Laurie's fault. :wag:

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
that's different.

.... and usually Laurie's fault. :wag:

I love it when you tell me stories, Bos.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 09:36 PM
talk to the skwirrel. She's the one that runs rampant with the paint.

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Le sigh. *Flops onto the sofa.*

slcboston
04-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Le sigh. *Flops onto the sofa.*

reminds me of the cat in all the pepe le pew cartoons

Alpha Echo
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
1.5 hours.

Ready to go now.

slcboston
04-20-2010, 10:09 PM
you know, a watched time clock never punches... er... something.

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 10:32 PM
It punches--me right in the face.

'Struth.

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 10:56 PM
reminds me of the cat in all the pepe le pew cartoons

That's where I got it from, Silly.

DeleyanLee
04-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Always steal from the best, that's what I say.

tjwriter
04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
He keeps telling me I'm reminding him of these types of things and he's talking about exactly where I got it from. At least someone gets it. :D

Synonym
04-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Okay, I'll have a sit down and regale you with the tale of my darling daughter's 15th birthday and sleep-over when I get back from town. Have to go get the pickup out of the shop.

If I play my cards right, I might not have to cook dinner. I'm always looking for an excuse not to eat my own cooking. :D

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm just going to sit here and stare blankly at the computer screen. Sometimes you want to bang your head through the desk.

Synonym
04-21-2010, 01:39 AM
You're in luck, it's earlier than I thought so I have time to do this. ;)

Synonym
04-21-2010, 02:10 AM
We had a large fifth-wheel camper and my daughter wanted a birthday party/sleep-over. Fine. I knew they probably had something planned...stayed up as late as I could and checked on them periodically out in the yard, no doubt to a lot of muttering and gnashing of teeth behind my back. Finally I couldn't stay awake any longer, everyone else in the house had crashed and I had to give it up myself.

Not much later, my middle son is shaking me by the arm. (I'd only been asleep about 30 minutes or so.) "Mom. Mom? The sheriff's on the phone." Talk about a rude awakening. I rolled out of bed and tried to get my brain turned on again.

"Hello?"

"Yes, your neighbors noticed a strange car and several young people a quarter of a mile North of your house. The Deputy says it's your daughter and a few friends. He'd like you to come up there."

I muttered a few choice curses under my breath and got dressed again. The helpful middle son wanted to come along. The husband and youngest slept, enjoying a peaceful night. I sent my helper to bed and drove up the road, wondering what sort of disaster I was going to find.

Wonderful. A sheriff's car, a bunch of air-headed girls in heat and some awfully big young men, all glaring at the Deputy who had ruined their rendezvous. The Deputy seemed to be enjoying this, much more than I was. He explained the obvious.

"Would you like to speak to these young men?"

Oh, yes I would. I sent the girls back to the house with a promise that I'd see them "real soon".

As you can imagine, I'm tired, ticked, embarrassed and loaded for bear by now. The three boys were standing there together, kind of smirky. Wrong move. I waded in and started with the obvious high points...girls that age are brainless, they were old enough to know what kind of trouble that could get them into, I expected more of them since they were older...various assorted observations that they were thinking with the wrong head. Added a few colorful curse words and some finger shaking for good measure. Told them I'd better never see them out here ever again. Tried really hard to ignore the Deputy who was having trouble keeping a straight face. Left them to be escorted to the highway by the cop and went and chewed on the girls a while. No point in wasting a good mad.

Only after this was all over did I find out I'd just chewed the butts of a wide receiver and two senior linemen from our football team. They were some big boys. And, they weren't smirking when I got done. I may have gained a reputation as a bit of a hard-a$$, but I earned it. :D

som1luvsmi
04-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Syn, you are officially my hero.

I want to be just like you when my girls grow up. :D

Synonym
04-21-2010, 02:23 AM
I charge by the boy. $10 bucks a head. Group rates may apply. :D

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 03:15 AM
I think you're pricing yourself too cheap. Especially if YouTube services are involved.

Synonym
04-21-2010, 04:34 AM
Well, the experience is worth something. Hmmm. YouTube. I could be a star. LOL

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
You made that deputy's night, ya know?

Synonym
04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah, he probably had a good story to tell for weeks after that one.

Alpha Echo
04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Mornin' everyone!

Synonym
04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Morning. See you all later, I have to go spread junk mail and bills that will brighten everyone's day. :)

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
HAPPY CAMEL DAY!!!

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Indeed, Del. Happy Camel Day! May this day not be blessed with stupid requests for dumb work.

slcboston
04-21-2010, 05:35 PM
I charge by the boy. $10 bucks a head. Group rates may apply. :D

*puts Syn on speed dial*

ditto what Som1 said.

I'd say good morning reppers, but it isn't.

I'm still far too under-caffinated for anything approaching a good morning yet...

and I'm on my second cup already.

Ugh.

Midnight Star
04-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Del, wasn't it Camel Day a week ago?

*yawns* has anybody made the espresso yet?

LaurieD
04-21-2010, 05:42 PM
You're the second person I've talked to sharing my caffiene deficiency today - and I've only talked to 2 other adults so far.

Did I see something about you requesting a fresh coat of paint?

*surveys paint collection*

Midnight Star
04-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I think we should paint the place black. It's my favorite color.

LaurieD
04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow.

I am so glad I have never felt the urge to change my hair color.

And now never will.

talk to the skwirrel. She's the one that runs rampant with the paint.

:thankyou:

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
I actually managed to drink most of my coffee today.

Alpha Echo
04-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I actually managed to drink most of my coffee today.

Funny, and I didn't. I think I'll probably end up heating up more later, but most days I have at least 2 things full.

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm just everyone's opposite, lol. It seems that way at least.

I'll still have decaf Earl Grey this afternoon. I'll need something to keep me awake.

Alpha Echo
04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
And decaf can keep you awake?

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Hot. I drink while it can still burn my mouth if I don't sip carefully. That part keeps me awake.

LaurieD
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM

Alpha Echo
04-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, that's certainly one way to go about it, tj!

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Whatever works.

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 06:44 PM
I eat food that is entirely too hot temperature-wise for other people to put in their mouths. I always have. My family and my spouse make fun of me for it.

I like hot food hot and cold food cold. And I have perfected the art of eating food that's fresh out of the pan. It's something about the way I roll it around in my mouth.

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Everyone sing along: "Show me the way to go home! I'm tired and I want to go to bed!"

*headdesk*

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Everyone sing along: "Show me the way to go home! I'm tired and I want to go to bed!"

*headdesk*
*Wails loudly and off key.*

Alpha Echo
04-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I eat food that is entirely too hot temperature-wise for other people to put in their mouths. I always have. My family and my spouse make fun of me for it.

I like hot food hot and cold food cold. And I have perfected the art of eating food that's fresh out of the pan. It's something about the way I roll it around in my mouth.

Well, as Del said, whatever works.

*headdesk*

*hugs*

Believe me, a hug is better than my singing voice.

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 08:25 PM
My singing voice has been described as "a coyote being disemboweled with a dull knife." By my father.

Sounds like I'm in good company here.

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I just would love to be doing something that made it all seem worthwhile rather than not.

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I think I'm going to go outside and wander around in, professing to be in search of lunch. I'm not hungry, but I just want away from my desk for a while.

See peoples later!

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm contemplating *GASP* writing during my lunch today.

Midnight Star
04-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Here's a challenge for you, TJ: Write more than 300 words. If you complete this task, you shall get a cookie.

And no lying saying you got three hundred just so you can have the cookie. :rulez

Alpha Echo
04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Go for it tj!

I've been writing.

I ate my lunch. boca burger w/mushrooms and cheese, salad, and curried cauliflower soup.

gotta run to the store now.

Midnight Star
04-21-2010, 08:44 PM
I've been too busy beta-ing to write today. Sometimes beta reading can really tire me. Not that I don't love both of the stories I'm reading, because they're both awesome.

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Back. Got lunch. Even a healthy lunch. Managed not to get a sun-migraine, so that makes it even more successful.

Now back to the daily BS.

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
You do a daily Brain Squeeze, too?

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 09:11 PM
That sounds really painful, TJ.

tjwriter
04-21-2010, 09:12 PM
That's usually what my BS amounts to. My brain is squeezed so hard that it might explode.

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 09:14 PM
There's a thread bouncing around here somewhere about writing historical novels in the tech of that era.

I'm playing with a Victorian era, so getting a fountain pen is sounding interesting. I have tons of journal-style books that have been gifted me over the years. I wonder if I could get into character (1st person) and develop a certain penmanship for him?

That would be fun-freaky.

Gabriele Campbell
04-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, I'm NOT going to use a goose feather quill and ink. Or a stylus and wax tablets. :tongue

DeleyanLee
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
You'll still be doing better than those people who'd need to learn cunniform. ;)

Synonym
04-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Oh. :tongue

I should read closer next time. :D

slcboston
04-22-2010, 01:23 AM

I'm not *entirely* sure that's the way that's supposed to be spelled....

:roll:

tjwriter
04-22-2010, 01:24 AM
My boss just said, "Oh. My. Gawd." like a valley girl.

Shoot me now. Just shoot me now.

Synonym
04-22-2010, 01:26 AM
Like, like that's so last year TJ.

Let me go get my BB gun. :D

tjwriter
04-22-2010, 01:49 AM
Lol.

I've successfully hidden in my cube almost all day. Her office is across the hall from my cube, though, so I hear everything. I'm a natural born eavesdropper.

DeleyanLee
04-22-2010, 03:36 AM
I think that's part of self-preservation, TJ.

You can hear 'em planning and get out before they've noticed. ;)

slcboston
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
morning reppers

:Coffee:

where are all you slackers today?

tjwriter
04-22-2010, 06:58 PM
We're all off slacking!

slcboston
04-22-2010, 07:34 PM
oh... well, then, carry on.

tjwriter
04-22-2010, 07:48 PM
How I wish it was Friday.

I'm just not motivated. I can't wait until I have that week off in May.

LaurieD
04-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Sunday -- I'm wishing for Sunday.

Sunday I can finally sleep until I wake up when I want instead of when the stupid alarms go off.

tjwriter
04-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I would kill to sleep until I wake up. Except that now I'm pregnant and I wake all the dang time all night long. Wake up. Roll over. Go back to sleep. Wake up. Go pee. Go back to sleep. Etc.

slcboston
04-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Sunday -- I'm wishing for Sunday.

Sunday I can finally sleep until I wake up when I want instead of when the stupid alarms go off.

That would require my little one sleeping in for about the same time I do, and that seems to have become an impossibility lately. So on Saturdays - the only day I don't set the alarm - I still don't get to just wake up.

Ah well, she'll outgrow it eventually.

Alpha Echo
04-22-2010, 08:16 PM
That would require my little one sleeping in for about the same time I do, and that seems to have become an impossibility lately. So on Saturdays - the only day I don't set the alarm - I still don't get to just wake up.

Ah well, she'll outgrow it eventually.

We're lucky. The Little One sleeps in as much as I do. :D Actually, she'd sleep later if I let her. Last Saturday, she slept till 9:30.

It's my SO - he's always up early.

DeleyanLee
04-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Never get a dog either. They're great morning alarms, lemme tell you. Every day, about the same time, they've GOT to pee. Sure, you don't have to get up, but then you'll have to deal with a mess when you finally do haul yourself out of bed.

tjwriter
04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Between dogs and kids, if I sleep till seven, I'm incredibly lucky. We get up so early during the week that they don't sleep in on the weekends.

However, I'm the only one that gets up with them. The husband never does. It makes me want to kick him.

Alpha Echo
04-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Never get a dog either. They're great morning alarms, lemme tell you. Every day, about the same time, they've GOT to pee. Sure, you don't have to get up, but then you'll have to deal with a mess when you finally do haul yourself out of bed.

I used to have a dog.

My SO is actually worse. Okay, not quite. Most of the time, he's up by 7, but sometimes he sleeps in with me.

Regardless, unless we have plans, I'm not happy on the weekends unless I get to sleep in until at least 830.

DeleyanLee
04-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I rarely have to get up with the dogs, but that doesn't mean they don't wake me up when they're going out. See, they're not my dogs. They don't sleep with me. I only deal with them in the morning when my housemate can't, for whatever reason--but they still don't sleep with me.

Not that I don't like dogs, mind you. Mine died about a year ago. While I could, emotionally, get another one now, I'm choosing not to. With my weekly 40 hr job + 20 hr commute, I just wouldn't have proper time with a new dog.

I'm home sick today (headache/tummy upset), and not well enough to do any of the yardwork that seriously NEEDS to be done (sunlight+Dele=headache/migraine). Might nap for a bit and see if I can get some words later. One never knows.

Alpha Echo
04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Del, I'm sorry you're home sick! That's no good! Get some rest, or try to!

I like dogs a lot. I had to let my ex have our dog b/c I knew it was too much responsibility for me to keep him in an apartment. He was way too big and didn't listen. I was the one who took care of him when we were married though. To be honest, I was emotionally a mess and probably not much good to the dog anyway.

I'd love to put up a fence and get a dog again, but my SO is totally against it. Too much responsibility. I'm okay with that even though I love dogs.

slcboston
04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Regardless, unless we have plans, I'm not happy on the weekends unless I get to sleep in until at least 830.

"At least?"

8:30 is sleeping in late, around here, though at least the little one does know enough to go play on her own if she wakes at 7 on a Saturday.

Problem is her playroom is across the hall from my bedroom.

Alpha Echo
04-22-2010, 09:09 PM
"At least?"

8:30 is sleeping in late, around here, though at least the little one does know enough to go play on her own if she wakes at 7 on a Saturday.

Problem is her playroom is across the hall from my bedroom.

Well...I'm usually up by 8:30.

I'm glad my Little One sleeps in, but I think it's b/c we let her stay up so late on the weekends.

Hey...random question - do you do her hair?

I'm asking b/c our Little One is growing out her bangs. Her mother threatened to cut them if they weren't pulled back. The SO is the one who gets her up during the week for school, and the other day, he had a panic attack looking for clips. He didn't find anything but my bobby pins and couldn't make them work and finally gave them to the Little One to ask a teacher for help.

Yesterday, we bought her some clips, and I showed the SO how to use them. He said it was a success this morning, and I just think it's the cutest thing - watching him brush her hair or picturing him with his big hands trying to put these little clips in her hair.

slcboston
04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey...random question - do you do her hair?

Yes, I do. Though that may be making it seem like I do more than we normally do. :D

I get her off to school in the morning, and she's got long, fine hair so we have to brush it. On the weekends now she's taken to doing that herself, and I showed her how to brush it by bringing it forward over her shoulder and turning her head so she could get to it.

But most school mornings I just brush it, and then apply a little baby oil to my hands which I run through her hair and then brush in. It keeps her hair from snarling like crazy, and doesn't leave a heavy residue or anything in her hair. other than keeping the snarls down, you can't even tell it's in her hair.

Every once in a while I tie it back, or into twin pony tails for her. I do my best to trim her bangs when they threaten to cover her eyes (her mother did this once or twice and the results were... horrendous... so it's utterly my job as she won't let her mother near her with a pair of scissors), and we put clips and things in from time to time...

but the problem is, they don't stay in her hair because it's just too fine. Even when tying her hair back, I have to use two bands, one against the other like a lock washer on a nut, otherwise they slide right out in about an hour.

I haven't attempted braiding yet, but I figure I'm going to have to here shortly.

Alpha Echo
04-22-2010, 09:29 PM
See, that's just so cute! Maybe we'll have to try the oil idea. She actually has very thick hair, but the thing is, she couldn't care less about it. I think it'll be another year or two before she's brushing it herself. I usually brush it on the weekends. Her mother keeps her hair trimmed.

We just started getting her to get her own baths - oh, another funny story. Last night, it was bath time. She knows how to do this, but she hate, HATES going upstairs by herself. Even when the sun is shining through the huge windows in the foyer (the upstairs hallway is open, and her bathroom is in the hallway, so the sun shines brightly), she says she's scared. Ever since she got to sleep in our bed after Coraline, she tries to use that as an excuse.

Last night, she came downstairs, dripping wet and naked with fake tears and said she was scared. The SO told her to go get her bath. There's nothing scary in our house. She stomped up the stairs and started wailing - soft, loud, louder, louder still...the whole way through her bath.

When she was finished, she came back downstairs, bouncy and happy. It had totally been her trying to get one of us upstairs, but we didn't give in. There's a huge difference between real fear and fake fear. haha

tjwriter
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I have a total little drama queen. This morning it was loud fake wailing as we didn't grab her Leapster 2 before we left the house.

The baby just raged loudly because her oatmeal wasn't coming fast enough.

Alpha Echo
04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
I have a total little drama queen. This morning it was loud fake wailing as we didn't grab her Leapster 2 before we left the house.

That reminds me of Sunday. She wanted to bring 4 stuffed animals to her cousin's house. We let her take in 1. there's no way she'd remember all 4 of them when we left.

Fake tears insued for a minute or two.

slcboston
04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
See, that's just so cute! Maybe we'll have to try the oil idea. She actually has very thick hair, but the thing is, she couldn't care less about it.

Well, with my daughter it's both fine and thick. The individual strands are fine, but the mass of them together tends to be very thick. So when it snarls, it *snarls.* She's got the kind of hair that all those shampoo commercials tell you they'll give you, only it comes naturally to her. I finally found a shampoo that seems to work for her - it's a kids shampoo but with a built in conditioner - and that plus the baby oil seems to have helped her a lot.

She wants it long, but we have compromised on how long. I told her she can't have it down to her butt until she's old enough to completely take care of it by herself. So she's had to settle for the middle if her back. And when we go to trim that end of it, I shall take her someplace. I know my limits.

slcboston
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
and we don't get fake tears... yet. Mostly we just get arguments. Like this morning, though it was fortunately short lived, but she wanted to take a certain stuffed animal to school.

I vetoed it as being "too big."

To which she promptly replied that it wasn't.

*bangs head*

I prevailed this morning with a minimum of fuss, but still....

Alpha Echo
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, with my daughter it's both fine and thick. The individual strands are fine, but the mass of them together tends to be very thick. So when it snarls, it *snarls.* She's got the kind of hair that all those shampoo commercials tell you they'll give you, only it comes naturally to her. I finally found a shampoo that seems to work for her - it's a kids shampoo but with a built in conditioner - and that plus the baby oil seems to have helped her a lot.

What's the brand? Being that both girls are half Asian...that's exactly how my Little One's hair is too, but it holds clips fairly well. We need to do conditioner of some sort though b/c just shampoo isn't working. I'm thinking of the tangle-no-more or something - some spray my mom used to use on us that you put on after the bath.

Alpha Echo
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
and we don't get fake tears... yet. Mostly we just get arguments.

We only get real arguments when she's tired and grumpy. Sunday was awful. She got such an attitude about everything!

Example:

Example: Dinner time on Sunday, at her Aunt's. Food's out, people are loading up their plates.

Me: Are you hungry sweetie?

I said no!

Hey, come here. *take her hands, make her look at me* You don't speak to me that way. You don't speak to anyone like that. I asked you a question, and you need to answer nicely.

But Granny all ready asked me! *again, whiny, angry voice*

That's fine, but I didn't know that. Now it's time to eat.

Getting her to eat is always a chore.