PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club, v2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

Gabriele Campbell
04-12-2010, 11:51 PM
* hope people will remember to post lots in this thread, since I'm likely to go on a reppie spree really soon. That's what I'm doing it all for, after all.

Altruistic person that I am. ;)

Provided Mackie manages to fix the rep feature. ;)

DeleyanLee
04-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah, well, there always is that.

But it does mean I can probably do it from home and spend more time on it. ;)

sadron
04-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah, I'm off soon, to sleep. Got stressing day tomorrow.

*yawn*

DeleyanLee
04-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Provided Mackie manages to fix the rep feature. ;)

Complete brain fart just happened.

You said "Mackie" and I thought "Bob Mackie" and not MacAllister. ROFL!

milly
04-12-2010, 11:58 PM
we're back...repping is open :)

DeleyanLee
04-12-2010, 11:59 PM
So they are.

Now to hit that magic number at some point....

sadron
04-13-2010, 12:02 AM
I haz done something. Guess what it is? :D

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 12:06 AM
That's too loaded a question, Sadron.

milly
04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
let me help...you are almost there :)

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Lol, I don't know Bob Mackie, but I remember MacAllister from my previous time at AW.

sadron
04-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Oh yeah? Then you have to see it yourselves... ;) You find the answer within the these forums.

sadron
04-13-2010, 12:11 AM

:roll:

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 12:12 AM
BTW, when I uploaded that icon under my name, I had a size limit, but I see several much larger ones here. Is that some sort of privilege gained by X number of posts or something?

sadron
04-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Something like that.

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 12:25 AM
I think most additional privileges come after 50 posts. At least it used to work that way.

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Right, I could put up the larger version of my avatar now.

Synonym
04-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Good evening everyone. I see D is sitting at 9999, probably plotting what the 10K post will be. If I miss it, congratulations to you. :)

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
There. Made the 10K post. :D

Now to get some time to do some serious repping.

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Woot, Del!

Good morning reppers!

I'm having one of those sucky days. My back started with the spasms last night, my husband was being a total jerk and my hips are killing me. I'm tempted to call my OB and beg for pain meds because it's so draining. Got the support belt on, so we'll see if it helps. Darn thing is super uncomfortable when you're sitting all day.

Okay, vent session over. How's everyone doing today?

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I feel like crap warmed over. It's raining and cold. I'm in the grips of that pre-interview "I hate this job and I don't want to deal with these assholes anymore" malaise.

OTOH, I have homemade biryani for lunch, so not all's horrible with the world.

sadron
04-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Awesome Dele! :D

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Just got another dumb meeting on my calendar. Yay.

milly
04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
I keep those things on mine...like, yep...heading off to a quick one now...argh

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
I work for someone addicted to calling meetings for every little thing. The first step is admitting you have a problem, ya know?

milly
04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
okay...I admit it...I have a problem, and the only cure...is more cow bell :)

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I tuck my boss into more meetings than I actually attend, which is nice.

If I get this new job, I'll have a lot more meetings since I'll have to try to teach people what I do before I leave. Hopefully, this time, they'll listen.

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
I have a problem. The cure is stretching out on the couch and eating ice cream all day.

milly
04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
you sure you don't want me to play the HELL out of the cow bell??

It might work :)

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
If you need to. I'm beyond the point of caring, lol. It's all whatever.

som1luvsmi
04-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Morning reppers!

Guess what?

I may actually get a writing job!

I'm a little worried, though because it would involve interviewing people about their companies. I'm usually kind of shy and I've never interviewed people.

Anyone have some advice? :)

milly
04-13-2010, 06:50 PM
oh no...I'll go get bandaids then...maybe some calamine lotion or neosporin...or...pickles and ice cream...is it a craving? I'm sorry :(

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Morning reppers!

Guess what?

I'm a little worried, though because it would involve interviewing people about their companies. I'm usually kind of shy and I've never interviewed people.

That's cool. I learned when waiting tables to create an image of who would be successful at the job and then I put that persona on every day when I went to work.

oh no...I'll go get bandaids then...maybe some calamine lotion or neosporin...or...pickles and ice cream...is it a craving? I'm sorry :(

I'm just grumpy today, lol. It'll pass. It always does. Except that part about being grumpy about the job. That just gets worse with time.

som1luvsmi
04-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Aw. Poor tj.

*sets down tray full of yummy desserts for tj, none of which will cause heartburn*

( heartburn was always the bane of my pregnant existence)

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Morning reppers!

Guess what?

Congrats and good luck!

Just remember: interviews are not about you. They're about the people being interviewed. You are just giving them a culturally acceptable moment to brag their asses off.

Unless, of course, you're one of those reporters who's hunting the people they're interviewing, which is a totally different mindset.

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks. Heartburn isn't the bane of my existence yet.

I'm hoping to get my laptop up and running tonight. The operating system is loaded, but I've got to do the drivers disc and a few others. Then I can add my junk back in. Good times. I've never had to do a new install of the OS before. I was just tired of trying to figure out what was wrong with the stupid thing.

slcboston
04-13-2010, 07:28 PM

First: I'm jealous. :D

Second: interviews are like any other aspect of writing, it's all preparation. To that end, do your homework. Know who these people are, what they've done, what makes them worth interviewing. Dig a little if that's the kind of pieces you will be doing. Have your questions - and follow up questions - ready before you start to interview them. Figure out how you're going to record the conversation or take notes or whatever- my advice is come up with something unobtrusive that you can review later, but play to your own strengths.

Maintain control of the interview, to a point. (Also depends on what you're asking/what kind of interview it is.) Make sure you get answers, don't be afraid to chase answers, but don't be afraid to allow them to wander down side paths if they seem like they might be interesting. You never know what kind of story you might miss if you only stick to the script.

That's as specific as I can get without knowing where/how you'll interview these people, but I hope it helps a little.

Good luck with the job.

.... still jealous. :D

som1luvsmi
04-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Del and TJ! :D

ETA: and Boston!!!

(sorry Bos, you replied while I was distacted by the little one.) :)

som1luvsmi
04-13-2010, 07:35 PM
And no need to be jealous. Nepotism is what got me the offer. ;)

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Nepotism is the way of the world, I swear.

slcboston
04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
And no need to be jealous. Nepotism is what got me the offer. ;)

I'm still jealous - only now instead of just being jealous of the job, I'm jealous of that AND that you have relatives who can get you a job in the first place.

:D

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
If I get this new job, I'll have a lot more meetings since I'll have to try to teach people what I do before I leave. Hopefully, this time, they'll listen.

They probably won't. But they will call you five times a day for the next month after you left.

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Nepotism is the way of the world, I swear.

And bribery.

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 07:53 PM
They probably won't. But they will call you five times a day for the next month after you left.

True facts.

Except that I have caller ID on my phone and am not going to answer it. I'll be in training for the new job.

Midnight Star
04-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi, my name is Midnight Star and I'm addicted to repping.

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
True facts.

Except that I have caller ID on my phone and am not going to answer it. I'll be in training for the new job.

:tongue

I was at home, but in the end I unplugged the phone until I got out of bed. That idiot woman knew that I'm not up at 8 am if I can avoid it (except when I travel, but that another matter entirely).

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi, my name is Midnight Star and I'm addicted to repping.

You say that like it's a problem.

Midnight Star
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Hmm...good point.

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
My boss just invited me to join her and a coworker to go to one of my favorite restaurants for lunch. I fibbed and blamed the baby growing in my stomach to opt out and avoid having to go with her.

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, if the kid's growing in your stomach, there's not much room for food.

I totally grok that need for avoidance, though.

Midnight Star
04-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Sorry I disappeared. I was playing with my signature. :D

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 08:46 PM
OMG! I'm quoted in a siggie line! How cool!

Today is a good day. :D

darkprincealain
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM

No kidding. :D

Not that I'd have any personal experience with that...

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 09:04 PM
When I first hired into this job, the last person who'd had it had been gone for almost 2 months. She left no hint of how to do anything or where anything was, so my boss called her. Had me call her. Had other people in the office call her.

Yeah, I know they'll do it.

But fore-warned is fore-armed.

And, if worse came to worse, I'd change my cell phone number. Not a big deal.

sadron
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
If trying to write now. Had stomach issue a moment ago.

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Biryani is good. And the boss brought in samosas.

VERY good lunch.

But I can't feel my tongue or mouth any more....

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
I had cheese sticks and warm cookies for lunch. Healthy. I thought I was going to get soup, but what they had on the menu was not what they were serving. :(

Midnight Star
04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
OMG! I'm quoted in a siggie line! How cool!

Today is a good day. :D

It makes you feel so cool, doesn't it?
SWest informed me yesterday that she quoted both me and Sadron in her siggy. I freaked out. :D

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 09:17 PM
That's all too common.

When I was a kid, my dad's standard comment about lunch at work was "It was supposed to be beef vegetable soup, but it turned out to be cream of chicken noodle."

Then we went to work with him one day. It really was cream of chicken noodle soup.

None of us were brave enough to try it.

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 09:28 PM
They have a good broccoli and cheese, but they were serving Thursday's soup instead of Tuesday's.

I'm sleepy now. Is it nap time?

Cream of chicken noodle sounds...interesting to say the least.

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 09:31 PM
When I first hired into this job, the last person who'd had it had been gone for almost 2 months. She left no hint of how to do anything or where anything was, so my boss called her. Had me call her. Had other people in the office call her.

Yeah, I know they'll do it.

I had been there for three days to teach her the ropes. But she only talked about her wrist problems, marriage problems (until I mentally sided with her hubby), her life in Africa and whatnot instead of listening to what I told her.

The suckers you get from those job pools we have in government related institutions here. I'm sure my boss didn't want her any more than I did. ;)

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm sleepy now. Is it nap time?

Seconded!

At least I get the chance to sleep on the bus home (about 90 minutes).

darkprincealain
04-13-2010, 09:34 PM
An hour and a half nap sounds like just the right amount. ;)

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
I read a study once that if you are going to nap, try to do so in either 30 or 90 minute increments because of the normal sleep/dream cycle. It seems that 60 minutes (the "normal nap length") actually wakes you up in the middle of the dream cycle, which makes you even more disoriented and tired than you were before the nap.

--Dele, a Fount of Useless Knowledge

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 09:43 PM
60 minutes is the normal nap length? Not in this household. :)

It's either a 20 min quickie or I sleep for real.

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 09:48 PM
I hate trying to wake in the morning during a dream. It messes everything up, and I just end up incorporating the alarm clock into the dream and hit snooze for like 45 minutes.

slcboston
04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I have no nap, no job prospects, and no one calls me....

But I had spinach to put in my salad, so it balances out for me today.

Afternoon reppers -you're all a busy bunch today

Midnight Star
04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
*looks around*

CHEESE.

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I have no nap, no job prospects, and no one calls me....

But I had spinach to put in my salad, so it balances out for me today.

Afternoon reppers -you're all a busy bunch today

Well, if you gave me your phone number, I could call you.

heh heh heh

slcboston
04-13-2010, 10:27 PM
somehow del, it just wouldn't be the same

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 10:28 PM
What? I can breathe as hard as the next person.

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 10:30 PM
And make muffled sounds.

DeleyanLee
04-13-2010, 10:39 PM
OK, talking about phone calls (and because I'm bored spitless):

In days gone by, before Caller ID and "Do Not Call" lists, a friend of mine was getting seriously harrassed by phone soliciators calling at the worst possible times. Because there was no Caller ID, you pretty much had to answer the phone to see if you wanted the call.

So one evening, he had just run a bath when the phone rang. He picked it up and, yep, it was one of these guys trying to sell him something. He's standing in the hallway, where the phone was (yeah, back in the day when phones had to have cords connected to the wall). Instead of hanging up on the guy, Tom decided to mess with him.

He starts asking questions about the product (I forget what it was--something like siding for the house--Tom lived in an apartment, FWIW) as his tub of water's getting chill. He suddenly interrupts the guy with: "Hold on a sec!"

He wedges the phone into the crack of the bathroom door & the jamb and heavily walks into the bathroom (where it echoes really well). "Damnit all, Dad, what are you doing getting out of that water?" *splash splash* "Get your head back under there!" *splash splash* *gurgle* *SPLASH* "GDIT! Now I'm all wet! Get back down there, you SOB!"

After some more, weakening splashes, Tom picked up the phone and in a very conversational tone said, "Now, where were we? Oh, yes...."

The guy had hung up on him.

I was in the kitchen with his wife while all this was happening, FWIW. He called down the hallway that the cops might be stopping by, closed the bathroom door and proceeded with his bath.

FWIW, the cops didn't show while I was there. They must not have cared what happened to Dad.

Gabriele Campbell
04-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Roflol, that was some evil fun. :)

I remember those times. A whistle of the sort the soccer referees use worked wonder. It really hurts your ears through the phone wires, and I soon ended up on the black list of those phone advertisers. :tongue

tjwriter
04-13-2010, 10:46 PM
LOL!

slcboston
04-14-2010, 12:21 AM
What? I can breathe as hard as the next person.

hmmm.... tempting then....

*adds Del to speed dial*

And make muffled sounds.

*adds TJ too*

:ROFL:

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 12:28 AM
I love it when men are just men, y'know?

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 12:57 AM
They're so much fun.

LaurieD
04-14-2010, 01:02 AM
:ROFL: :roll:

*wipes tear*

Ah, I've missed you guys the last couple of days...

Synonym
04-14-2010, 01:06 AM
They've been busy today, haven't they? LOL

Insana D
04-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Mom told me I had to go outside and play because I was driving her out of her mind with my constant "I'm Bored" claims. What she doesn't know is that I'm a little scared of the new neighborhood and worried you all will bury me up to my neck in a pile of sand that cats have pooped in and leave me till I get sunburned and it's time for dinner. If I come out and play do I need to wear a Tyvek suit?

Synonym
04-14-2010, 01:22 AM
I suppose you can if you like. It might get a bit warm this summer. I'm pretty sure the last cat died a couple of years ago, so you should be safe. ;)

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 01:24 AM
You should be more worried about funnel web spiders in the sand. I've seen several arachnean (arachnoid?) user icons and signature pics on AW. :)

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Spiders aren't scary. Unless you are a brown recluse near my little babies. Then you are dead.

I saw the coolest looking hairy black and white spider hanging out by my front door this weekend. The pattern was beautiful.

Insana D
04-14-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm pretty green here but I can't seem to define what this thread is about. Does that mean it's ok to just free flow? I'm not so great at following the rules. It's not open rebellion, just lack of thouroghness in reading the instructions and wanton enthusiasm to start playing. Feel free to give me the introductory noogies and wedgies so we can get that over with. I'm not so great at kickball unless someone is mean to someone I love and then I put on pointy boots and aim straight for the jewels.

As to having vengence on arachnids and other yard pests, last summer I went on a genocidal rampage with some wasp killer in anticipation of my grandsons visit. I took great delight in wiping out whole colonies and the slow ones got mashed with a large heavy rubber mallet while their children watched them die.

Unfortunately I missed the little holes in the trampoline where the springs connect and several nests of wasps had hidden there. They attacked my two yr. old grandson and stung him all over his face, making him scared to play in the yard for most of the week.

This year I went after them with renewed vile contempt and got them while they were still slow and groggy from a long winter. I got their babies and their teenagers. I mashed them twice and cussed them three times and then poured bleach on their masticated carcasses. No one messes with my grandson.

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 01:46 AM
There are no rules for this thread axcept that who comes in first in the morning has to make coffee. :)

It's basically a fun place, and it provides us with enough posts so we can send each other rep points (cuz you can only rep once per post). ;)

Insana D
04-14-2010, 01:49 AM
What do Rep points do for the reputation? I know, sounds silly and I'm grateful for all five of my own reps but am curious how they work. What's an enviable number of points and can I cash them in to buy Pez or other nutritional supplements?

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 01:51 AM
The only rule is that there are no rules. Welcome, Insana.

Disclaimer: the thoughts and opinions of this thread are random, crazy, and often derailing. The members of this thread may have serious mental problems such as craziness, hallucinations, talking to themselves and just plain old scariness. Don't say we didn't warn you.

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 01:52 AM
I don't have issues.

*Hides in Da Nile*

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Also, at times, the inability to use correct punctuation and/or spelling, and the making up of stupid puns. :)

Insana D
04-14-2010, 02:03 AM
Da Nile is the glue that holds families together. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning and tells me I look good in this mu mu. It's the one constancy in life that suggests that one day I'll find a good job and restore my income and reputation. Don't mess with Da Nile. That's my happy place.

Synonym
04-14-2010, 02:08 AM
All hail the Queen of De Nile. (or Da Nile) :Shrug:

Whichever you prefer? ;)

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 03:22 AM
I want donuts. Jelly donuts, to be specific. Dunkin' Donuts jelly donuts to be exact.

But the nearest DD is almost a 1/2 hr away. *sniff*

Lemonade just doesn't taste the same, y'know?

Synonym
04-14-2010, 04:28 AM
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/clb442/miscellaneous/dunkin-donuts-thumb-500x464-19.jpg

Heck, I'd have to drive an hour. Here, these are calorie-free. :D

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Fine, now I am hungry. ;)

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 04:38 AM
My dunkin donuts is only eight minutes from my house. :wag:

Synonym
04-14-2010, 05:09 AM
:cry:

Insana D
04-14-2010, 05:32 AM
What is the criminal prosecution proceedure for posting images of donuts of such sinful nature at dinner time in a region of the West where Duncan Donuts has not yet made inroads?

I will salivate and comfort myself in the salty goodness of fresh tortilla chips and lip smacking salsa made by authentic salsa makers.

One day I may be able to forgive those who so blatantly tempt with tawdry images of sweets, but the wound is still too fresh. It's just too soon.

LaurieD
04-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Dunkin Donuts are an airplane ride away... :cry:

And for the record, I have no issues.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/MSN_Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-096.gif

they have me.

Synonym
04-14-2010, 06:14 AM
Jeeze ladies! I was just trying to help D out a bit. (You know, I could have posted a pic of a hot guy. Then I think you'd change your collective tune.) Sheez.

Insana D
04-14-2010, 07:19 AM
There is a plan for repentence but it requires you to send 100 different varieties of Kansas Sunflowers to me in time for spring planting, about May 14ish.

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 07:22 AM
I just realized that your name is a play on the word "insanity". Boy am I slow.

Insana D
04-14-2010, 07:22 AM
If you post pictures of hot men please choose some Maori dancers with massive thighs and do that slap dancy thing and stick their tongues out. Those kind of men melt my butter.

Insana D
04-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Yes, it's been my nickname since I was a kid. It started with a character Gilda Radner used to do called, "Rosanna Rosanna Danna" and so my HS friends called me Dana Dana Insana, then it got shortened to Insana D. It stuck and fit so sure beat bein called uglyface or skankycrotch or something like that. (my apologies to anyone nicknamed uglyface or skankycrotch).

Synonym
04-14-2010, 07:36 AM
LOL. Maori dancers? That deserves another LOL.

I wish you'd been here this fall, I could have shipped you oodles and gobs of sunflower seeds, free for the gathering.

Insana D
04-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Before I knew what good "you know what" was supposed to be like I saw a group of Maori dancers at a Polynesian Luau and they did that slap dancy thingy. I totally needed a case of panty liners after that show. I made noises I didn't know were in me. Since then, just the hint of a Polynesian dancer and I'm turning on the bathtub for some quiet time at the self service pump in the gas station of love.

slcboston
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
I want donuts. Jelly donuts, to be specific. Dunkin' Donuts jelly donuts to be exact.

Boston Creme ... the kind with the custard inside and the chocolate on top.

There was a DD half a block from my old home. *sniffs* I miss it. :e2cry:

slcboston
04-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Heck, I'd have to drive an hour. Here, these are calorie-free. :D

vile temptress

:wag:

mario_c
04-14-2010, 08:00 AM
My dunkin donuts is only eight minutes from my house. :wag:There are two within a 15 minute bike or two minute drive. (I only go to one, the other is sketchy.) I live in the NE, where they're all over like pollen.
On my sojourns to NYC I get to sample the high end stuff: Tim Horton's, Krispy Kremes, and such.

Synonym
04-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Oh yes. And there were so many images to choose from too. I'm avoiding that picture like the plague. They do look yummy. ;)

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 04:38 PM
HAPPY CAMEL DAY!!!!!

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 04:42 PM
I think Del has had too much coffee again...

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 04:48 PM
1 sip only so far.

But it's really strong coffee.

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
So I see.

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 05:44 PM

But the nearest DD is almost a 1/2 hr away. *sniff*

Lemonade just doesn't taste the same, y'know?

I just finished off a chocolate glazed cinnamon roll type donut.

On Sunday I had a really yummy raspberry jelly filled. I like donuts right now, but they tend not to like me.

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Oh, and I want more coffee, but my stomach will not like that either. Heathen stomach of mine.

slcboston
04-14-2010, 06:00 PM
morning reppers

... and damn you all with your talk of donuts.

I want,.

And it's 30 minutes to the nearest place I can get them fresh.

grr...

*goes off for more coffee*

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 06:06 PM
From work, the nearest place to get good donuts is over an hour to get to. LOL!

Though I can get skanky donuts anywhere.

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Heh, just well I'm not wild about donuts anyway, though I bet I could get them here. But we have Berliner which are yummy. :)

And that allergy is killing me. Bloody birches. Acheee

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 06:13 PM
I was going to say--allergic to donuts? Now that's just sad.

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
I lurve the local bakery chain. Wonderful stuff.

What would you do with a 16 month old that loved to drink your coffee? She gets in my cup every morning.

slcboston
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
But we have Berliner which are yummy. :)

As in "Ich bin ein..." fame?

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
I lurve the local bakery chain. Wonderful stuff.

What would you do with a 16 month old that loved to drink your coffee? She gets in my cup every morning.

Does it make her hyper? Does it affect her at all?

Personally, I'd call her pediatrician if I were concerned about it.

slcboston
04-14-2010, 07:16 PM

Share?

She's 16 months. How much can she drink?

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
She only gets a sip or so, but she'll chase the cup around if I don't share. It's more funny and surprising than anything. I wonder if it's because I drank coffee every morning while pregnant with her and so it's a familiar taste.

slcboston
04-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Ok, so a sip of coffee isn't anything I'd worry about, personally. And it may be both the familiar taste and that she wants to share with you. I'd let her have a sip - though mind you not a pediatrician here - esp if she chases you otherwise.

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 07:33 PM
It's just funny. I'm not all that worried. She's not getting anything more than a good dose of chocolate would do to her.

darkprincealain
04-14-2010, 09:19 PM
She probably developed a taste for it in the womb. If she's not getting much more than a sip per day, I probably wouldn't be concerned, but I'm definitely not a pediatrician.

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 09:22 PM
The baby in the womb won't stop kicking me in the bladder. He's very, very active. Did I mention active?

slcboston
04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
*adds another reason to the list of things to be glad I don't experience*

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 09:35 PM
It's just funny to be feeling this much regular activity. He's constantly squirming all over the place.

My doctor laughed when she asked if I was feeling movement yet and I told her that I was, mostly in the bladder.

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
As in "Ich bin ein..." fame?

Yep. :)

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
The baby in the womb won't stop kicking me in the bladder. He's very, very active. Did I mention active?

:Wha:

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 10:10 PM

What did you think they would kick? Soccer balls? LOL!

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
You have a point, Del, I just wasn't expecting to come to the ORPCC thread and see us talking about stuff like this...who am I kidding? I should have expected this!

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
I blurt out whatever I'm thinking about. You've now been officially warned. :)

I think he's sleeping now. It's gotten quiet.

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Pregnant women are weird.

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 10:17 PM
You have a point, Del, I just wasn't expecting to come to the ORPCC thread and see us talking about stuff like this...who am I kidding? I should have expected this!

Always expect the unexpected!

Or is that the Spanish Inquisition?

I always get them confused.

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I've always been very open. Any topic is fair game with me. I think be able to talk about all sorts of things is good.

People have issues with my lack of boundaries sometimes. Feel free to tell me to shut up.

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 10:19 PM
And I just realised that I have 102 posts. I so need a life. ;)

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Now it says 103. AW is life. Duh.

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
And I just realised that I have 102 posts. I so need a life. ;)

No, you aren't the one that needs a life. Those of us with over 1,000 posts need lives.

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Always expect the unexpected!

If you expect the unexpected, the unexpected becomes the expected. Thus, by telling someone to expect the unexpected, you're actually telling them to expect the expected. Make sense? :D

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 10:29 PM
If you expect the unexpected, the unexpected becomes the expected. Thus, by telling someone to expect the unexpected, you're actually telling them to expect the expected. Make sense? :D

Everything I say is a lie. I am telling the truth.

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Everything I say is a lie. I am telling the truth.

You made mah head asplode.

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
My work here is done for the day.

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 10:41 PM
No, you aren't the one that needs a life. Those of us with over 1,000 posts need lives.

Considering the fact I'm only posting since April 3rd, I totally need a life. ;)

It took me at least three years to collect 800 posts in the Westeros forums, and my Malazan forums post count isn't that high in comparison, either. AW is like chips; you can't stop eating until the bag is empty. :)

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I've only been here since Dec. 28 of last year and I've accumulated almost 2,000 posts. I average, like, 18 posts a day.

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 10:42 PM
The bag never empties here though.

Midnight Star
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
True. I'm addicted to this site.

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
The bag never empties here though.

Heh, the place only runs out of donuts. :tongue

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Donuts come in a bag? *gasp*

No donut I'd ever want to eat, at least.

Gabriele Campbell
04-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I don't think there's anything you can't get in a bagged, canned, or Dutch greenhouse version. :)

DeleyanLee
04-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Canned donuts? Where's the vomit smiley?

tjwriter
04-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Ew.

I do like my donuts in the little paper sacks from the local bakery with the top folded over in a crisp line.

That kind of bag is good. Very good.

DeleyanLee
04-15-2010, 12:19 AM
I once wrote a character who was so OCD that he wouldn't--couldn't eat any kind of pastry unless it was in a white box tied with white string.

He was great fun.

LaurieD
04-15-2010, 12:25 AM
*wanders through thread in pjs, munching orange and red gummi bears*

Mmm... donuts....

*leaves in persuit of the perfect raspberry jelly filled, powder sugar dusted donut*

DeleyanLee
04-15-2010, 12:25 AM
*leaves in persuit of the perfect raspberry jelly filled, powder sugar dusted donut*

Bring me back one? Please?

tjwriter
04-15-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm going to try to keep my head from exploding. Hang around here at your own risk.

Everyone has a different writing style, right? So long as the communication is clear and the grammar correct, it really shouldn't matter, right?

I just had to change a document to my boss's writing style. The change, you ask? Rearranging the sentence and adding two words. It. Still. Says. The. Same. Thing. There is no fundamental difference. It's annoying and a waste of my time to have to make these stupid changes.

Synonym
04-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Ah, but then it would mean he found nothing wrong and would have nothing to criticize which means he's not doing his job so...nitpick time. :D

DeleyanLee
04-15-2010, 03:46 AM
I'm going to try to keep my head from exploding. Hang around here at your own risk.

Everyone has a different writing style, right? So long as the communication is clear and the grammar correct, it really shouldn't matter, right?

I just had to change a document to my boss's writing style. The change, you ask? Rearranging the sentence and adding two words. It. Still. Says. The. Same. Thing. There is no fundamental difference. It's annoying and a waste of my time to have to make these stupid changes.

I can do you one better/worse.

Ex-boss asked me to calculate some stuff and make a pie chart. Open Excel, 10 minutes, done. It only took 10 minutes 'cause I like to do borders, center & bold headers and make it look pretty.

Take it in. No, he doesn't want the totals calculated that way. Do it THIS way--which is basically moving columns around so the formulas become complications and total BS.

OK fine. Half hour later, I've got it done the way he wants it. Now he doesn't want it that way, he wants columns added so the calculations can be seen.

Ish.

So after struggling for an hour or so to figure out how to do it, I finally just typed in a bunch of shit, referred the correct answers from the original spreadsheet into THAT one, printed it out.

The final draft was that he wanted me to change the color palette (I told you l like it to be pretty) from yellows to darker green.

He's the only boss I've ever had that I hope rots in some kind of subservient hell for all eternity.

Synonym
04-15-2010, 04:13 AM
A subservient 'yellow' hell would be nice.

DeleyanLee
04-15-2010, 06:22 AM
OK, guys. I will probably not be on much tomorrow. It's my interview. :D

Wish me luck!

Synonym
04-15-2010, 06:23 AM
I have everything crossed. Within reason, of course. ;)

Lots of luck!

slcboston
04-15-2010, 07:16 AM
He's the only boss I've ever had that I hope rots in some kind of subservient hell for all eternity.

A subservient 'yellow' hell would be nice.

In the Hindu version of Hell... there remains paperwork and bureaucrats. I kid you not.

Synonym
04-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Hmmm. Now I've learned a new factoid. The day isn't a total waste. :D

slcboston
04-15-2010, 07:26 AM
I have fullfilled my purpose then. :D

Yeah, I can't remember which tale it is, but the one I read as the hero ventures down into Hell he passes a number of demons outside the various levels - all of whom are mired in paperwork.

Which the hero then exploits to his advantage.

At least I think it's Hindu. Might be Buddhist - but it was in that general area.

Synonym
04-15-2010, 07:33 AM
It always amazes me, all the odd facts or obscure things I can remember and then turn right around and forget the last name of someone I've known for years. My filing system must be shot. ;)

slcboston
04-15-2010, 07:37 AM
I can't help you there. Names and faces are something I'm very good with.

Western names, anyway.

Overseas it was a complete and total loss on that front.

Synonym
04-15-2010, 07:40 AM
:tongue

We were discussing music from our past on another thread. I said something about Leon Russell. Someone posted one of his songs from You Tube, I discovered another one I'd completely forgotten about. I think I've listened to it five times now. How silly is that?

slcboston
04-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Why is it silly?

I've been known to do that with songs I like or ones that resonate for me on a particular day/mood.

Synonym
04-15-2010, 08:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xDyq_RcSo8&feature=related

Then I'll leave you with it and I'm going to sleep.

slcboston
04-15-2010, 08:09 AM
me too

gnight reppers :sleepy:

LaurieD
04-15-2010, 08:17 AM
*tucks the thread in for the night, leaves paintbrush in someone's, uh, hand*

Insana D
04-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Is there a thread where folks discuss bizarre Indy films? I'm watching an Aussie film called "Adventures" about a bunch of traveling trannies with the most fabulous costumes. It's sort of a pictorial view of the Australian outback as well as a touching story about their loves and lives. Very weird and a fun surprise.

It is rather cruel that some men get such long slurpy legs, tight buttocks, and nice bone structure.

Synonym
04-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Gah! I wondered who got mine. Some fool in Australia did?

Morning everyone. And to answer your question there probably is. I think we've got a thread for just about everything here. :)

darkprincealain
04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Tj's son is going to grow up to be a soccer player, perhaps?

I think I may be a couple pages late in this theory. :/

slcboston
04-15-2010, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xDyq_RcSo8&feature=related

Then I'll leave you with it and I'm going to sleep.

He looks like the 4th member of ZZ Top.

tjwriter
04-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Tj's son is going to grow up to be a soccer player, perhaps?

I think I may be a couple pages late in this theory. :/
Wouldn't surprise me, lol. His dad's active, doesn't like sitting around. My eldest can be that way too.

I've taken the one extra strength tylenol I'm allowed to take as a pregnant person. I'm debating whether I should call the doctor today and ask for something stronger. The pain has jumped from about a 4 to the high end of 8. Not right this second, but in general. Pain makes me very tired.

slcboston
04-15-2010, 06:14 PM
I gotta say, near constant pain doesn't sound like a good way to get through the day there, TJ.

:)

tjwriter
04-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Meh. I'm okay right now I guess. I need something more interesting to take my mind off of things. Whatcha got? :D

Gabriele Campbell
04-15-2010, 07:00 PM
I can do you one better/worse.

Ex-boss asked me to calculate some stuff and make a pie chart. Open Excel, 10 minutes, done. It only took 10 minutes 'cause I like to do borders, center & bold headers and make it look pretty.

Take it in. No, he doesn't want the totals calculated that way. Do it THIS way--which is basically moving columns around so the formulas become complications and total BS.

OK fine. Half hour later, I've got it done the way he wants it. Now he doesn't want it that way, he wants columns added so the calculations can be seen.

Ish.

So after struggling for an hour or so to figure out how to do it, I finally just typed in a bunch of shit, referred the correct answers from the original spreadsheet into THAT one, printed it out.

The final draft was that he wanted me to change the color palette (I told you l like it to be pretty) from yellows to darker green.

We call those Rosinenkacker - raisin shitters. :tongue

tjwriter
04-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Know any good gluten free recipes? We have a family reunion this weekend and my cousin recently joined the ranks of the gluten free. I know at the last family gathering he was dismayed at the food selection since he couldn't be for sure the catered food was indeed prepared gluten free.

I thought I'd be nice and bring a couple of items that were positively gluten free.

darkprincealain
04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
The grocery store by me has a whole gluten free endcap. Since I don't know anyone with a gluten allergy, I don't know any recipes but I was surprised to discover that endcap stocked with things I would have thought were absolutely off limits. Chocolate chip cookies, bread, spaghetti in abundance, in other words. Allegro is the name of the company that makes the spaghetti. :)

I'm sorry, I imagine that's probably not much help.

tjwriter
04-15-2010, 09:07 PM
That's okay. I'll think of something, I'm sure.

Can I say that warmed chocolate brownies with chocolate icing rock out the chocolatey-ness? Yum!

slcboston
04-15-2010, 10:27 PM
TJ - if she's around today, ask Fenika. Or PM her. As I recall she's got a thing where she has to be gluten free.

I think.

tjwriter
04-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks, Bos. I think I'm going to do a vegetable tray with gluten free dip. Now I just need to think of something else.

I'm having afternoon coffee. Anyone else?

Synonym
04-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Dang. Brownies. Warm brownies. I may have to bake tonight. :D

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:02 AM
ooh, who's got brownies??

*looks around hopefully*

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Nope, sorry. I never got around to making them. I've been out setting the countryside on fire instead. :D

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:09 AM
um.... ok.

I would have opted for the brownies, myself.

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Sorry, I didn't get to vote in the matter. It wouldn't have been very nice anyway. I'd have to eat them all or take them to work. Too much temptation for a diabetic.:tongue

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't have that issue.

Then again, I try and limit myself to no more than two at a time, which reduces the sugar high.

Unless I cut them really, really big.

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:23 AM
The other mail carrier in my office comes from a very large family. He's also large, as in 6' 7". We asked him to cut up a pie for a reception once. He cut it in fourths. We all stared at him in disbelief. "What? That's the way we always did it at home."

Lord, his poor mother.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
ooh... I like that idea.

That's the way pie is meant to be cut.

Plus it has to be easier than sixths.

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:35 AM
That's probably why we made him do it, none of us wanted to. Mine always come out off-center. It's not pretty.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah... but eighths are just too small, you know?

Oh well. It's pie. It's worth the trouble.

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Cray! That's disgusting as well, you know. Big purple hippo...argh!

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Yeah... but eighths are just too small, you know?

Oh well. It's pie. It's worth the trouble.

Sorry, I just got the most disturbing gi-normous rep from a total reprobate.

Pie is a lot of work, but worth it. ;)

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:44 AM
OH.,

I see....

um. Or rather, I don't. And I'd like to keep it that way. :D

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Actually just had a surprisingly good piece yesterday at Perkins. A wildberry. Got it ala mode, of course, bcs fruit pie just isn't the same without a scoop of ice cream.

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Oh the calories. Men. How do you do it?

And yes, be very happy you don't have what I have in your reps. It's very large and quite disgusting. :D

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:49 AM
I exercise. Five days a week.

It's the *only* way I do it anymore.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:51 AM
And yes, be very happy you don't have what I have in your reps. It's very large and quite disgusting. :D

I'm pretty sure I know the hippo whereof you speak. Leuk posted it everywhere last week.

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:52 AM
I need to do that *expletive deleted* too. The e-word, it's such an evil word.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:55 AM
well, it may be, but without it my jeans wouldn't fit. Of course they don't fit now, but that's cause they fall off without a belt. Which is a problem I can live with.

Synonym
04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Well duh? I can only wish for that problem. Must start walking, or riding or something. I've gotten too lazy over the winter.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 08:02 AM
could walk your postal route?

yeah, I know how long it is. or at least can guess

anyway, curfew is upon me

:sleepy:

gnight reppers

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 04:44 PM
OK, so I've got to tell peoples about the most riotous job interview I've ever had.

I get there and the lady stares at me for a moment. OK, so my last dye-job isn't the greatest, but it's not so bad I should be stared at. Then she says something about, "Well, I'm sure that when you met with YYYY, she mentioned --"

"I never met YYYY. We only did a phone interview."

More stares. "You are here about the intern position --"

"No, I'm here about the secretary position for the office opening in my county."

"We aren't opening an office in your county, we're opening it in this county." (some 40 miles from my house)

"If she'd mentioned that, I wouldn't have agreed to an interview."

We both laughed. "Oh my," she says. "Well, the only jobs we have open are Sales manager and this internship. YYYY said that she'd met with someone who was a junior in college and--well, you don't look like a junior in college, but you never know."

More laughter.

We laughed a lot and discussed the employment situation in town. She took my resume and promised to forward it to contacts she knows is looking for clericals. I took her card and we laughed some more.

Totally flipping waste of preparation, outside of the good practice for preparation.

So I went over to the Science Center for several hours, including the decommissioned submarine (dear gods--80-90 men LIVED in that little space!),which was fun and cool and avoided a Tea Party rally downtown.

The day was great, but the job possibility is a total bust.

Thanks for the good wishes, though. I'm pretty sure that's why we had all the laughter instead of anything less.

tjwriter
04-16-2010, 05:04 PM
That sorta sucks in a weird sorta way. How odd. I had a weird interview once. I had applied for one position and this lady called to set the interview. I assume it's for the position I applied for. I get there and she's all, "Well, actually we're interviewing you for this position." Blah, blah, blah. Then she's asking me if I had any questions and I'm going um, well, I didn't prepare to ask questions about this position because I didn't know about it.

Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed when I didn't get that job.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 05:06 PM
So I went over to the Science Center for several hours, including the decommissioned submarine (dear gods--80-90 men LIVED in that little space!)

The U-boat in Chicago is better, but nothing beats the miniature train room there. They do still have the miniature train room, right?

(I'll be crushed if they don't)

Sorry the job was a bust, but hey, you've made it farther than I have in a while, so there's that.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Haven't seen the U-boat in Chicago, probably because I've never gone. ;) The sub in Pgh doesn't have a train room, sorry. However there were several retired vets on board who'd served on subs during their tour and it was great to talk to them about their experiences.

Great fodder, when/if I decide to use it later.

som1luvsmi
04-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Morning reppers!

Sorry about the job, Del.

But it still sounds like you had a great day! :)

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 06:46 PM
That was the purpose of taking the afternoon off. It's a part of the city I've never had a chance to prowl before. :D

I missed the Warhol museum and the new casino, though, so there's plenty to go back and prowl for next time.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 06:48 PM
The sub in Pgh doesn't have a train room, sorry. .

No, no... not in the sub...

In the museum. Years ago when I lived in Pgh there was this massive miniature train display- took up the whole room, the lights cycled through day/night, etc...

Extremely cool.

That's what I was talking about.

Alpha Echo
04-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Morning everyone! Thought I'd make an appearance on this gorgeous Friday! Did ya'll miss me?

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 06:52 PM
No, no... not in the sub...

In the museum. Years ago when I lived in Pgh there was this massive miniature train display- took up the whole room, the lights cycled through day/night, etc...

Extremely cool.

That's what I was talking about.

Oh! Yes, still there and still cool. Mostly ignored considering they put it right next to the robot exhibit. Serious shame too. The CP3O & R2D2 bit is SO loud and obnoxious, it's hard to ignore, even in the next room.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, of course we did.

Place was kind of quiet without you.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Oh! Yes, still there and still cool. Mostly ignored considering they put it right next to the robot exhibit. Serious shame too. The CP3O & R2D2 bit is SO loud and obnoxious, it's hard to ignore, even in the next room.

robot exhibit?

That wasn't there when I was. (Which was 10 years ago, so it's not exactly a surprise things have changed.) That sounds neat.

Think the train is better, though.

If I had unlimited time and funds, I'd turn my basement into something similar.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 06:57 PM
You sound like my dad. LOL!

Robot exhibit. Several working real-life robots that kids can control. One plays basketball. There's models (some "working") of various theatrical robots, including Maria, Robbie, C3PO, B-9 (bonus reppies if you know which movie/TV it came from) and a couple of others. You can get your picture "taken" with R2, for a fee. There's also this GREAT board that tracks the history of robots, both in fiction and in real life.

Alpha Echo
04-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, of course we did.

Place was kind of quiet without you.

Aw yeah...I can be kinda loud sometimes.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:43 PM
*ahem*

Reppers, has anyone noticed what day it is today (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4864752#post4864752)?

No, didn't think so. (Heck, even I was behind the ball there. :D)

Alpha Echo
04-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Um, Friday?

som1luvsmi
04-16-2010, 07:52 PM
You are the best rocketeer camel sheep a kitteh could ever have.

*big hugs and lots of kisses*

slcboston
04-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Um, Friday?

Well, yes, that too.

*psst* click the link

Alpha Echo
04-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Oh, sometimes the link color isn't much different, and I don't notice.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Oh, sometimes the link color isn't much different, and I don't notice.

Ohh... I see,

I fixed it.

Better now?

slcboston
04-16-2010, 08:07 PM
You are the best rocketeer camel sheep a kitteh could ever have.

there is no way I ever fit all of that into a single AV.

:roll:

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 09:04 PM
It's kinda mindblowing, isn't it?

slcboston
04-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I'v actually returned to one of my earliest AVs from when I first joined... before I went all four-legged and furry/fuzzy/whatever.

Just nobody remembers....

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Not everyone is as old as I am, I'm afraid.

slcboston
04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
B-9 (bonus reppies if you know which movie/TV it came from)

this has been bugging me, so I had to look it up. :D

"danger, Will Robinson!"

*hums "Lost in Space (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZMZElVoFQc)" theme*

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 10:01 PM
No fair if you had to look it up! LOL!

And, yeah, thanks for making me feel real old.

He was one of the ones that talked, BTW. :D

slcboston
04-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I watched Lost in Space when I was a kid... though in reruns. :D

Insana D
04-16-2010, 10:33 PM
I didn't have a television when I was young so did not know about "Lost in Space" till I was a young woman. I saw it on cable and thought it was a campy comedy show but my ex told me it was considered cutting edge sci-fi when he was a kid. I suspect the entire budget for each episode was around $4.00 and they were only allowed to use the cast off refuse from episodes of Twilight Zone and the writers were all still in 4th grade and each episode was based on last weeks Creative Writing Theme.

The series survives in re-runs as a testament to the collective campy silliness of the North American population or at least a sadistic need to fry their brains on retarded dialouge and sear their eyes on bowling ball headed alien beings that walk like stiff legged zombies, but not so fast that you couldn't out run them in a hoverround with a dying battery.

I find the series charming and hilarious. It's like a train wreck and you can't turn away, just sure that in a minute a severed head will come rolling by with the spinal cord flopping about picking up bits of gravel and cinders as it bounces down the track. Something very twisted in my soul delights in such carnage. The dialouge and plots make me feel very smart indeed.

Midnight Star
04-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Insana D, you scare me. A lot.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 10:44 PM
I didn't have a television when I was young so did not know about "Lost in Space" till I was a young woman. I saw it on cable and thought it was a campy comedy show but my ex told me it was considered cutting edge sci-fi when he was a kid. I suspect the entire budget for each episode was around $4.00 and they were only allowed to use the cast off refuse from episodes of Twilight Zone and the writers were all still in 4th grade and each episode was based on last weeks Creative Writing Theme.

Actually, for the time, it had a fairly large budget for the time (mid-60's), especially considering the B-9 Robot. What we think of as "small budge Fx" (ie: firing phaser/laser shots) was absurdly expensive then 'cause it was hand-drawn, frame by frame. There were no computers for CGI in the 60's. (Hell, in the 60's, they were doing good to have a computer do calculations in a space less than a warehouse. They were still running on vaccuum tubes!)

At the time, it was very avante-guarde writing, just as Star Trek was. Both shows were far better in their earlier seasons then in the later ones. I suspect that's because the network politics were against renewing them so by killing the quality, they killed the audience.

The series survives in re-runs as a testament to the collective campy silliness of the North American population or at least a sadistic need to fry their brains on retarded dialouge and sear their eyes on bowling ball headed alien beings that walk like stiff legged zombies, but not so fast that you couldn't out run them in a hoverround with a dying battery.

I actually chalk it up to two things: Nostalgia and the fact that it's considered to be totally kid-safe programming, like the Flintstones and Looney Tunes--which were also adult programming in their time and now no one thinks twice about showing kids. The original Looney Tunes were considered very cutting wit and somewhat scandaleous in their day. Times and tastes change. *shrug*

Insana D
04-16-2010, 10:46 PM
You have no idea how special that makes me feel. I'm so deeply, deeply humbled by your praise.

If I lived nearby, I'd lick the sidewalk where your icy steel toed boots had touched. I'd take your discarded napkin from the trash bin at Burger King and sniff it to get just the essence of what residue you left, and then I'd wrap that napkin in a soft 100% cotton cloth, and embroider your name on it and keep it tucked in between my heaving fleshy bosoms, taking it out gently a few times a day and sniffing it again, hoping against all hope that the scent of oil from the fries, the whiff of sweet vinegar from your catsup, the tanginess of your pickle scented breath would never leave. That's how much I appreciate your praise.

Midnight Star
04-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Wait...when did the ORPCC start using so many long, serious words?

You have no idea how special that makes me feel. I'm so deeply, deeply humbled by your praise.

If I lived nearby, I'd lick the sidewalk where your icy steel toed boots had touched. I'd take your discarded napkin from the trash bin at Burger King and sniff it to get just the essence of what residue you left, and then I'd wrap that napkin in a soft 100% cotton cloth, and embroider your name on it and keep it tucked in between my heaving fleshy bosoms, taking it out gently a few times a day and sniffing it again, hoping against all hope that the scent of oil from the fries, the whiff of sweet vinegar from your catsup, the tanginess of your pickle scented breath would never leave. That's how much I appreciate your praise.

Are you talking to me or DL?

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 10:48 PM

What do you write, fiction-wise, Insana?

slcboston
04-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Honestly, for it's time frame it's rather remarkable. You can judge it harshly by today's standards, but there's a reason it survived as long as it has. You also seem to be assuming some of the camp wasn't intentional. I point out that Lost in Space, much like Adam West's Batman, was often well aware of the camp factor.

(Seriously, how else do you get a planet of vegetable people? Talking carrots don't happen by accident. :D)

The show was meant to be, and is, fun... but that doesn't mean there aren't aspects of it that were well ahead of its time.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Wait...when did the ORPCC start using so many long, serious words?

Do we need to buy you a dictionary, sweetie? ;)

Midnight Star
04-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Do we need to buy you a dictionary, sweetie? ;)

No, I know what you're saying, I'm just not used to this kind of seriousness on here. :D

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 10:55 PM
As I told Gabriele--we're a bunch of silly with occasional breaks for serious.

It's kinda like a bipolar thread. ;)

slcboston
04-16-2010, 11:01 PM
only two poles?

surely I thought we were more screwed up than that here :D

Insana D
04-16-2010, 11:01 PM
I started my praise for Midnight Star but I'd happily extend that devotion to anyone who praised my work by suggesting that I scare the shyte out of them. An emotion is a precious thing, even if it's revulsion. Better than apathy or boredom any day.

Sorry if my take on "Lost in Space" is a little harsh. I grew up without television and so I'm seriously naive and disrespectful in the ways of American influences. When someone says, "Ward, you were a little hard on the Beaver last night." I don't even think of Leave it to Beaver but go straight for the dirty juvenile aspects of that statement. I apologize in advance for my lack of appropriate reverence. You can spank me if you wish.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 11:03 PM
only two poles?

surely I thought we were more screwed up than that here :D

How many poles do you need, Bos?

slcboston
04-16-2010, 11:04 PM
You know... I'm starting to hope you're a troll, ID.

Seriously.

At least then there's an excuse for the tone of your posts.

Sadly, judging by your blog, this seems to be just the way you are. Still hoping, though.

Insana D
In truth, I don't even bother to write fiction because life is so bizarre and twisted that just making fun of real people and real situations is hilarious enough. I don't even have to make stuff up. I can just dig into my panties and find stuff leftover from my own life that is too surreal to even believe. (Panties being a metaphor for my family)

slcboston
How many poles do you need, Bos?

Del....

You know better than to ask me that kind of question. I *know* you know better.

DeleyanLee
04-16-2010, 11:05 PM
:2angel: