PDA

View Full Version : Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

maestrowork
04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
By popular demand...

The hot tub is ready. Anybody willing? http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/images/smilies/hottub.gifhttp://timefortuckerman.com/forums/images/smilies/nakedguy2004.gif

tjwriter
09-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I want a day to myself.

It involves books and a soak in a very deep bathtub.

Komnena
09-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm planning to hit yard sales this weekend. I'm trying to decide if I can get away with Moby Dick in outer space as a writing project. I'm also going to try to finish Julia Child's book on France. The evil Borders staff let me sit there and read it until I was hooked.

sassandgroove
09-05-2009, 01:35 AM
I got to leave early today because i worked on Sunday. :)
Bruce managed to get off early so we had a nice lunch together and I just took a nap.

Maryn
09-05-2009, 01:50 AM
A lovely afternoon, then.

Would I be really evil if I opened the wine before Mr. Maryn got home? I did chill two bottles, and he drinks so much faster than me he always gets more than half.

Maryn, a tad warm upstairs but about to descend

Grrarrgh
09-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Did someone say something about wine???????

I have to go to a bachelorette party tonight. Honestly - I thought that once I entered my 30s, I would be finished with such nonsense. Apparently not. And the bride, who's all of 22, btw, thinks that a late-80s/Madonna theme would be "so super-fun!!!". Ridiculous. I guess I'll be the odd one out since I refuse to go buy clothes for this thing and I don't have any Madonna wear. I do have an old Lost Boys T-shirt that I'm willing to wear, but that's about as far as I'm going.

Have a great night, everyone!!

Cassiopeia
09-05-2009, 02:31 AM
I can never drink wine. At least not red wine. I get all itchy. White wine is okayish. The only one I've ever tolerate very well was a South African wine--white (of course) by Nederberg, Special Late Harvest. I think it's more on the semi-sweet to desert wines and then a pink wine by Gracia.

sassandgroove
09-05-2009, 03:00 AM
mmm...the men want to go to Logan's. MMMMMMMMMMMM...

sassandgroove
09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
I want a blackberry. A friend of mine let me play with his. I could read AW anywhere!

Cassiopeia
09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
mmm...the men want to go to Logan's. MMMMMMMMMMMM...wassss at?

bsolah
09-07-2009, 02:43 AM
And we're back!

MacAllister
09-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Welcome back, everyone - we're retiring some of the very, very long-running threads and opening a new chapter. The tens of thousands of posts tend to get pretty intensive for anyone on a slow connection, and can make the entire forum hang instead of loading.

Here's a link to the original HOL (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10162&page=2327), should you get lonely for those old posts.

Meanwhile, carry on. :)

kristie911
09-07-2009, 05:54 AM
I love the new HOL. It's a little smaller but I guess it's just a matter of time before we add on.

:D

bsolah
09-07-2009, 05:55 AM
It looks less cluttered. I have room the stretch my legs!

robeiae
09-07-2009, 05:56 AM
*walks up behind Kristie...pushes her into the hot tub*

Maryn
09-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Don't worry, Kristie, I took a Red Cross lifesaving instruction class in the late 60s, and you've only been under water, what, eleven hours?

Maryn, who was alarmed at the lock on Ray's door

robeiae
09-07-2009, 04:56 PM
She's got a bump on her head. We should amputate immediately.

barbilarry
09-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Whew, I finally found Ray's house. I been driving around since April. I am addicted to hot tubs so I imagine I will get to know you all very well. The reason being, I can keep you in wine forever. My best friend owns a winery.
Jane

Maryn
09-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Jane, you are totally in!

Maryn, big wine drinker

barbilarry
09-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Jane, you are totally in!

Maryn, big wine drinker

Let me know your wine preferance. Make sure it is one that goes with my brownies. I'm bringing those to. I'll start a list of wines.

Jane

Cassiopeia
09-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Let me know your wine preferance. Make sure it is one that goes with my brownies. I'm bringing those to. I'll start a list of wines.

JaneNederberg Special Late Harvest (white) :D

Welcome to HOLS! :)

Grrarrgh
09-08-2009, 01:08 AM

Jane

Definitely red wine with the chocolate. Especially if it's dark chocolate. Mmmm.... dark chocolate brownies. And red wine. I think that's what I should have for dinner tonight. :)

Elincoln
09-08-2009, 04:06 AM
That was scary.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the old thread locked.

Almost.

So this is the new digs? Nice.

*Puts down the cooler full of ice and beer*

Time to christen the place.

barbilarry
09-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Hi Cassiopeia

Got you on the list.

Jane

barbilarry
09-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Hi Grrarrgh
Red wine and dark chocolate brownies. Gotcha down on both lists.
Jane

Serenity
09-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Okay. Gotta say. When someone doesn't come around for... oh, say 2 weeks or so

IT ISN'T POLITE TO MOVE THE FURNITURE.

:evil Although: DUDE! New smileys!

Komnena
09-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Evening,House

bsolah
09-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey Komnena,

Is sure it quiet around here.

Maryn
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm trying really hard to stay away from brownies, so I'll just take any pinot grigio with no citrus element. Ugh, grapefruit.

Maryn*, happy enough with just the wine

*Maryn is having a bad day; humor appreciated

barbilarry
09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Good morning Maryn

I have a secret recipe that lets you eat all the brownies you want with no ill effects. LOL
You are on my wine list. Have a better day.

Good morning hol.
Jane

Maryn
09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh, excellent. My day took a small turn for the worse a half hour ago. Brownies would definitely help.

Maryn, sleep-deprived rather than a cause for worry

tjwriter
09-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi, House. I'm not ready for the work week, yet here it is upon me.

I need a nap.

Maryn
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I'll sit in. Nobody will even notice.

Maryn, who's found this is not a good day to critique

barbilarry
09-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Maryn
It's a bad day to get critqued too. I just got one and I am about to give it up. I'm on the fourth edit and it seems to get worse every time I do it according to crits. I'm ready for the wine, how about you?
Jane

Grrarrgh
09-08-2009, 10:07 PM
No brownies, but I did have some chocolate cake for breakfast. Although no wine with them, red or otherwise.

barbilarry
09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Grrarrgh
I am getting ready to indulge. I already invited Maryn, you are invited too. The more the merrier.
Jane

Maryn
09-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Even though it's not yet five, I'm thinking I'm entitled to open a bottle. What a craptacular day. No big tragedies or anything, just a whole lot of disappointments and personal failures.

Sigh... I'm pretty sure the only white chilled is the cheap stuff.

Maryn, sure tomorrow will be better (Or not.)

tjwriter
09-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Sorry about your day, Maryn.

I just got some interesting news. I called up my mother to ask how Piper's preschool day was today. She said she had a good time, except she didn't get a cookie at lunch because she didn't eat all of her lunch.

If you knew Piper, you'd know that she is one of those micro-eaters. She eats a little bit of food several times a day. My mother always packs her a lunch, and packs more than she anticipates her eating because occasionally Piper will be ravenous and eat a lot. We'd rather there be a little too much food there than not enough.

My mom called me back and said that Piper told her she was the only one that didn't get a cookie. We don't participate in the Clean Plate Club around here and I'll not have my child be the only child not "rewarded" with a cookie. No 3 yr old should be made to feel that way. My mom said she was almost in tears talking about it to her. Not the tantrum kind, but the deep, "I was left out" kind.

Mama Bear is going to be getting to the bottom of this.

Cassiopeia
09-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Even though it's not yet five, I'm thinking I'm entitled to open a bottle. What a craptacular day. No big tragedies or anything, just a whole lot of disappointments and personal failures.

Sigh... I'm pretty sure the only white chilled is the cheap stuff.

Maryn, sure tomorrow will be better (Or not.)Maryn, I can hardly think you fail at anything. I think if anything, it's disappointments and I know from talking to you these last three years that you do your best and that's never a failure.

Kim, learning just today, that life has a way of guiding us when we listen and sometimes, what we want isn't where we are meant to be.

:Hug2:

Maryn
09-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Aaaahhhhh.... One ounce of homemade (by Kid Two) honey mead and some of the rough edges are already smoother.

Maryn, relaxing

Komnena
09-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Hi everybody.

sassandgroove
09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Sorry about your day, Maryn.

I just got some interesting news. I called up my mother to ask how Piper's preschool day was today. She said she had a good time, except she didn't get a cookie at lunch because she didn't eat all of her lunch.

If you knew Piper, you'd know that she is one of those micro-eaters. She eats a little bit of food several times a day. My mother always packs her a lunch, and packs more than she anticipates her eating because occasionally Piper will be ravenous and eat a lot. We'd rather there be a little too much food there than not enough.

My mom called me back and said that Piper told her she was the only one that didn't get a cookie. We don't participate in the Clean Plate Club around here and I'll not have my child be the only child not "rewarded" with a cookie. No 3 yr old should be made to feel that way. My mom said she was almost in tears talking about it to her. Not the tantrum kind, but the deep, "I was left out" kind.

Mama Bear is going to be getting to the bottom of this.You GO! Mama Bear. When I taught preschool I tried very hard not to do that, I tried to gauge each kid individually and discern who was really full and who just wanted to go play. It was quite the balancing act, but I would never have "left out" anyone like that. Children won't starve themselves and before they are three they still have the off switch. It is around three when if adults aren't careful, they can learn to keep eating even if they are full. So I would have a serious talk with that teacher.

I am SOOO Glad AW is back.

Love youpeople!

Komnena
09-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Morning, House.
The last member of my grandfather's generation, his brother's widow, died this weekend. Now my father is the senior member of the family.

Maryn
09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Top o' the mornin', House of Love! (Yes, I'm in a better mood today. Thank goodness. Apparently I'm also Irish. Which I really am, but not at that level.)

I'm hoping to wrap up my beta read commentary this morning, so I'm just checking in. Not even reading what appeared at AW overnight, so I can get to work. You all behave yourselves--I'm talking to you, Kevin!

Maryn, choosing names from a hat

tjwriter
09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
RE: The Preschool Thing

I sent off a quick email inquiring about the situation and their unmentioned policy. In my mind, I'm already writing the reaming email about the whole situation.

Glad you are much happier, Maryn.

I woke up with a fever blister this morning. I've not had one in a year or more. Must be the stress.

sassandgroove
09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Hello People.

so we can 'friend' each other now?

tjwriter
09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I think Mac decided to turn that off. I think she talked about it in SK's Friend thread?

Maryn
09-10-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi, everybody. I didn't finish my beta read commentary, but I made very good progress. Hey, don't be the dope I was and forget to subscribe to this new version of the HOL. I thought nobody'd been here all day!

Duh.

Maryn, not terribly bright, but earnest

tjwriter
09-10-2009, 01:18 AM
It's still pretty quiet 'round these parts.

sassandgroove
09-10-2009, 02:22 PM
good morning.

There still must be oter kinks to work out- because the new HOL is on my usercp.

Which is good because I wouldn't have found it yet other wise.

Maryn
09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Morning, everybody. I'm going to the store--does HOL need anything?

Maryn, up and at 'em

Elincoln
09-10-2009, 04:35 PM
The fridge isn't even installed yet here, is it?

Hi, everybody. I didn't finish my beta read commentary, but I made very good progress. Hey, don't be the dope I was and forget to subscribe to this new version of the HOL. I thought nobody'd been here all day!

Duh.

Maryn, not terribly bright, but earnest

It's a break in habit. We're so use to just seeing it there. I only changed it today.

Been working all week getting my blog entry in and article revisions. Got a gig writing an article each month for a kayaking newsletter. Instead of pay, I get an exchange of service which is fine by me.

And I'll be done with the Presence short story this week. Finally stopped beating myself up and got the next revision underway. Will have it up in SYW to be critiqued either tonight or tomorrow.

Elaine, shamelessly asking for volunteers.

tjwriter
09-10-2009, 07:22 PM
good morning.

There still must be oter kinks to work out- because the new HOL is on my usercp.

Which is good because I wouldn't have found it yet other wise.

Some of the posts from the old HOL were pulled over to the new one. If you were one of those posts and have the subscribe to threads I reply in feature turned on, it automatically subscribed you to this one, too.

Elincoln
09-11-2009, 12:05 AM
*Slides into hot tub with a glass of wine.*

Damn nerves. Just finished posting that story and now I can't concentrate. I'm going to sit here and force myself to relax.

Ahhhhh.

sassandgroove
09-11-2009, 02:17 PM
wazzup?

I'm up but uninspired.

I have about 4 hours comp time coming, I hope I get to use some of them today. That may inspire me.

Maryn
09-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Morning, house. I just sent the beta novel and my commentary back to its author. It was fantastic, which I found humbling. No wonder he's got a novel out and I, ah...

Maryn, chilly this morning

Elincoln
09-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Maryn, you will have one as well and we'll all be thinking the EXACT same thing when we are beta reading it. All right? That's a promise.

I just sent the article I've been working on. So glad that's finally done. Feels strange to look at the stack of work and see only one thing left to work on.

I'm verytempted to leave the novel's outline and have the rest of the day off.

Perle_Rare
09-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I found it! I found it! Hi everyone! :)

Wine? Yes, a nice dry red please, and thank you!

Maryn
09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Why, yes, I do happen to be pouring. I have a nice smoked gouda and a handful of water crackers to accompany the wine, if you like. Ahh, Friday lunch--it's all good, yes?

Maryn, who wishes she could have that for lunch

Elincoln
09-11-2009, 10:11 PM
That beats dinosaur chicken nuggets and carrots hands down.

Hammering away at the outline. Waiting on pins and needles for the first critique. Pushing off grocery shopping till tomorrow. It's pouring rain here.

Maryn
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm doing some research necessary for a rewrite of a good story whose core idea doesn't work. Originally I had a book club of older ladies murder an annoying member with known allergies to peanuts by giving her other nuts until she reacted to one. Too late, I learned that many people allergic to peanuts or any kind of tree nut avoid all nuts, even though there's only about a 12% chance of cross-reactivity.

In a word, "Nuts!"

Now I'm going to have her still die of an allergic reaction, only this time it's bee stings. I'm learning a lot about what attracts bees and what inspires a bee to sting. I think I can make it work, even though it means starting over.

Maryn, bee-atific

kayleamay
09-11-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm doing some research necessary for a rewrite of a good story whose core idea doesn't work. Originally I had a book club of older ladies murder an annoying member with known allergies to peanuts by giving her other nuts until she reacted to one. Too late, I learned that many people allergic to peanuts or any kind of tree nut avoid all nuts, even though there's only about a 12% chance of cross-reactivity.

In a word, "Nuts!"

Now I'm going to have her still die of an allergic reaction, only this time it's bee stings. I'm learning a lot about what attracts bees and what inspires a bee to sting. I think I can make it work, even though it means starting over.

Maryn, bee-atific

I like the premise. I have one similar, but have only rough outlined it to this point. It's about a group of medical personnel that get fed up and start murdering people who they consider burdens to society. It's a dark comedy. Nothing like murder mixed with laughs to make for good reading. :)

Maryn
09-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Sounds like one I'd read. For real. I'm a big fan of black humor.

I saw a thing on the news sometime this past week about people using 911 in place of going to doctors. (I knew many people used the ER this way, but not about calling 911.) The first responders tend to be firefighters, who are poorly equipped to deal with sore throats or determining if prescription medicines can be taken with OTC ones. They determined that the same 30 or 40 people were responsible for about 75% of all 911 calls, and they started an aggressive outreach program with nurses who do home visits, leaving the firefighters to, you guessed it, fight fires.

Otherwise your fictional medical personnel would have to kill them, I guess. [wink]

Maryn, wondering when it's late enough to open the wine

Elincoln
09-11-2009, 11:19 PM

Maryn, bee-atific

That could work. A person can develop a severe allergic reaction to more than one trigger. I know one mother's kid who can't take gluten, milk, AND soy. Pour thing.

Perle_Rare
09-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Maryn, it must be late enough by now. Let's pop the cork!

Perle_Rare
09-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Maryn, I was just thinking about your peanut allergy idea. I once met a lady who was deathly allergic to berries. Blueberries in particular. The topic came up as we were at a dinner party and the hostess was serving a fruit punch with blueberries floating on top. Just a sip of that punch would apparently have sent this lady to ER even without eating the blueberries. In your story, you could have some sort of a juice, say peach punch, something that would appear fairly "safe" to this person. However, the hostess could have soaked in some blueberries for a few hours before hand and removed them before serving.

Just a thought...

Grrarrgh
09-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Nothing like murder mixed with laughs to make for good reading. :)

I couldn't agree more. My favorite style to read. I wish I could write it well.

Evening, all. I met a friend for a delicious dish called Bang Bang Shrimp at a local restaurant. There are a few HOLers who may recognize it, but for those who don't, it's deep fried shrimp covered in some sort of delicious spicy sauce. Good Lord, it's so good. And I had a couple glasses of red wine, which I haven't had in quite a while. I've been drinking white this summer, which has been weird for me. But the red tonight was soooooo good. It was Menage e Trois Red Blend, for those who are interested. Delicious.
Have a great night everyone!!!!

Grrarrgh
09-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Maryn, wondering when it♠'s late enough to open the wine

Always!!! It's always time to open the wine!!!

Cassiopeia
09-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi House, well, I've gone and done it. I've managed to lose my first 10 pounds of many more to go but I'm feeling better already. Hopefully the next ten will drop off and with it my blood pressure will go back to normal instead of borderline but that might be hoping for too much.

I'm just happy as a clam I've gotten this far. Next stop, back to easing into working out again.

Grrarrgh
09-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi House, well, I've gone and done it. I've managed to lose my first 10 pounds of many more to go but I'm feeling better already. Hopefully the next ten will drop off and with it my blood pressure will go back to normal instead of borderline but that might be hoping for too much.

I'm just happy as a clam I've gotten this far. Next stop, back to easing into working out again.

Cass, that's awesome!! Congrats!!

Maryn
09-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I'd raise a glass to Cassi's ten pound loss, but we killed the wine pretty quick. I'm hoisting my coffee mug instead!

Maryn, emulating your success

sassandgroove
09-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi House.

I saw a movie where the person just "accidently" gave the person food with peanuts in it, not ON it, so the person didn't know and ate it.

My dog gave me a scare today. I let her out in the back yard this morning and then let her in about an hour later and she laid down (you know- the circling first) and I drank my coffee and watched TV. Then about 20 minutes later she moved next to the couch and I noticed blood by her on the floor. I looked around and there were little bloody paw prints all over the living room where she had circled. Well I of course panicked a little but I cleaned it and it stopped bleeding and we called the vet and they said we did it right. She's not even limping, but I am going to keep cleaning her paw during the day. What a way to get me to mop.

sassandgroove
09-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Taking a break from cleaning. Back to the grind!

I bought that Swiffer sweeper vac thingie. THe charge was only enough for the living room most of the kitchen, but DAMN it was a hell of a lot easier to sweep with it than the broom and dust pan. I mean, with a fluffy indoor dog, sweeping is quite the chore. It took half the time, if that. WOOT!

I also have the bread machine going. And I am going to make bananana nut muffins later.

Maryn
09-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Sounds like a bad night for a dieter to drop in unannounced.

Unfortunately, I have been turned on to a farmer's market so close I could walk, where they sell bread and jams to die for. Self-restraint is all but impossible. I simply cannot allow myself to go! Although I did forget to buy the apple molasses I intended to get. I think the honey-tasting distracted me.

Maryn, whose rewrite with the bees is mighty slow going

sassandgroove
09-13-2009, 05:41 PM
I haven't made the banannana muffins yet but I did make the bread and it is yummy and I am going to have some for breakfast. My kitchen is clean though. very clean. It took all freakin' day.

WE watched Uderworld, Rise of the Lychans last night. It was pretty good.

Komnena
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Maryn, bees differ. Africanized bees are a lot quicker to sting than European ones. There are also wasps. Yellowjackets and hornets can be very aggressive.

Cassiopeia
09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Maryn, the only time I've heard of bees getting aggressive is if you try to interfere with their hive, sit on them (yes I did this)or step on them, or swat at them and even then they usually leave you alone.

I've seen bees in South Africa, on their own they are as docile as our honey bees, they just seem more territorial about their hives and they are aggressive towards other species of bees.

Now, wasps on the other hand will come after you and sting you because they are just that mean. Especially Yellow Jackets. I have to spray my property most years, about two to four times a year depending on the infestation. They like to burrow in the ground in old rodent homes and if you so much as dare go near their home, they come out in force and just sting the crap out of you. (much to my son's dismay who didn't know they'd nested in the side of the pool's retaining wall and he was trying to pull weeds out.) They got him five or six times in a span of about three seconds before he could flee.

Once while pressing apples for juice at my other property I had with a small apple orchard on, I was working and noticed a wasp on the ground drinking the juice so I killed it. (Yeah, I'm a wasp killer, I hate them). So then shortly after another one came along and was snooping around when it found it's compadre smashed to bits. It started flying back and forth, and side to side, like a little weaving pattern over and over again and was buzzing loudly.

Next thing I know, I've got a dozen of them flying all around all agitated. I made a bee-line ;) for the house. After that, I moved my small press into my huge dining room that had a linoleum floor and did the juicing IN the house.

I think death by wasp sting is the way to go. :) I know I would be freaked out, if that's the feeling you want to have.

Elincoln
09-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Eeek! Worst nightmare.

We have a set of mudwasps (I think that's what they're called) with nests in our yard. Hubby swears they are the reason we don't get yellow jackets. They keep to themselves for the most part.

Hmmmm, muffins? Oh that sounds good, except I just came down with a nasty bug. So now I have to keep to fluids or else I lose it...

I'll be happy when it blows over and I can get back to work.

Elaine, nursing on Jello and tea.

sassandgroove
09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
GOod morning house.
Get well Elaine.

Sass- who brought some muffins to work to share.

It's already Monday? But but but...what happened to the weekend.?

Maryn
09-14-2009, 05:42 PM
(Trouble is, some people are allergic to bee venom. I'm not finding allergies to wasp venom.)

Morning, all. I have lots of outside chores to do today, before the weather cools too much. I'm just waiting for it to warm up. Nights are getting pretty cool already.

Sorry to hear you're feeling crummy, Elaine. This, too, shall pass--thank god.

Maryn, autumn lover

Komnena
09-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Google stung to death by wasps. There's a story about a Belfast farmer who died of allergy to wasp stings.

sassandgroove
09-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I say it is simpler just to add peanuts to a food item without telling the person.

tjwriter
09-14-2009, 09:02 PM
A la Monster-in-Law? (Jane Fonda & Jennifer Lopez movie)

Cassiopeia
09-14-2009, 09:04 PM
My cousin is allergic to all bee and wasp stings. Frighteningly so.

Elincoln
09-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks Sass and Maryn. I'm feeling better than yesterday. Still trying to figure out where I got it. No one else in the house is sick. I might have pick it up either at Princess's school or at the Vet's.

Now I'm curious what Maryn's story going to look like. Let us see what you come up with, all right?

sassandgroove
09-14-2009, 09:28 PM
A la Monster-in-Law? (Jane Fonda & Jennifer Lopez movie)
Yeah but she chickened out didn't she? And they ended up making nice. I saw a really bad movie on Lifetime with Tyne Daly and Ione Skye where the mother in law (Daly) really did finally kill the daughter in law and one of the things she tried was "forgetting" the daughter in law had a peanut allergy. The son never believed that his mother would kill his wife until after she was dead. It was terrible. She finally hired a hit man if I recall.

Maryn
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Actually, I had a finished story using an existing peanut allergy and the other characters hiding other nuts in various foods until they got the deadly results they wanted. It was a pretty solid story, except that someone in my critique group married a man with a nut allergy. He was advised as a matter of course to avoid peanuts, soy nuts, and all tree nuts, in case he's in that 12% of cross-allergics.

My character is pretty abrasive, but she isn't stupid. She'd have seen an allergist and done some research on her own, so she'd probably avoid nuts in general and make a big production about asking whether nuts are in things--and an autopsy would reveal 'hidden' nuts in the food she ate. Then my other characters can't get away with murder, the poor dears.

But I don't think the cops are going to investigate whether they are in secret control of the bees in a beer garden.

Maryn, who has secret control of the bees in her short story

tjwriter
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah but she chickened out didn't she? And they ended up making nice. I saw a really bad movie on Lifetime with Tyne Daly and Ione Skye where the mother in law (Daly) really did finally kill the daughter in law and one of the things she tried was "forgetting" the daughter in law had a peanut allergy. The son never believed that his mother would kill his wife until after she was dead. It was terrible. She finally hired a hit man if I recall.
No, I'm pretty sure it got served to her as nuts crushed and stirred into gravy, caused her tongue to swell, etc.

tjwriter
09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
My very own Monster-In-Law has to carry an epi-pen in case of bee/wasp stings. She's pretty allergic.

maestrowork
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
I like it here.... and all the cameras are still working.

The hot tub needs to be hotter, though. Someone gets to work!

DL Hegel
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
I found this...

Part of my invasion force, yes I am the one who brought them...srsly:evilhttp://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/imgx/7/3/8/6/1/2/1/orig-7386121.jpg

Komnena
09-14-2009, 10:58 PM
You want the tub hotter, Ray? No problem. Eases huge pot of boiling water into hot tub.

Maryn
09-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Oh, boy, we're having Soup of Love!

Maryn, off to find the cumin

maestrowork
09-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Don't say cumin in this part of town
full of heathens and clowns

bsolah
09-15-2009, 03:45 AM
I'm a cumin!

*jumps into hot tub*

Maryn
09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Cumin--it's what's for breakfast.

Morning, everybody. Busy day for me: farmer's market, grocery store, and finally getting a doc to check the elbow which may have a stress fracture. I look forward to being able to lift a glass of iced tea at some point in the future without wincing. We'll see, eh?

Maryn, who's put up with this for too long already

bsolah
09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Sent my story, My Boss Sucks out into the big wide world. Almost couldn't hit the send button. Was so nervous. Fingers crossed!

Elincoln
09-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Valuable lesson: Don't try critiquing while hyped up on cold medicine.

What? Ray shows up? How did I miss that?

I hate colds.

Maryn
09-16-2009, 12:35 AM
The good news: my elbow is not broken.

The bad news: I'm supposed to put it in a sling and take massive amount of painkillers for a couple weeks, and see if it's improved. If not, they'll have to reevaluate.

Maryn, wondering if she has any cool sling fabric

Cassiopeia
09-16-2009, 12:38 AM
The good news: my elbow is not broken.

The bad news: I'm supposed to put it in a sling and take massive amount of painkillers for a couple weeks, and see if it's improved. If not, they'll have to reevaluate.

Maryn, wondering if she has any cool sling fabricNo suggestions for physical or massage therapy?

I'm sorry Maryn. If you can't find a cool one, paint flowers on it. Oh wait, do you mean cool in temperature or cool in appearance. ;)

KTC
09-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Ooh. Maryn. That sounds painful. Go for backstreet injections of Demerol. (-;

Sorry to hear about the elbow.

Oh. It looks like I've never posted here in the swanky new digs. In that case, hello house2

Williebee
09-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Hiya House. Nice new place.

Maryn, sorry about your injury. but hey, new drugs! :(

Elincoln
09-16-2009, 12:42 AM
So it's not broken, but they're treating it like it is? Geeze, that sucks.
In the meantime, see about getting some relax time...maybe a bit of pampering?

I hope you start feeling better.

KTC
09-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Sometimes not broken is more of a pain than broken.

Elincoln
09-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Speaking of which.

How's the foot, Kevin?

I'm having my short story torn to pieces which is now a good thing. Though I'm having those doubts I can change it from a so-so piece into something marketable.

Where's one of those HOL get togethers when you need one?

kristie911
09-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Still not used to the new house. It feels weird in here.

Hello all...haven't been around much. Just a week and a half until the wedding...I'm busy.

Hugs and kisses to all! :D

Elincoln
09-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Whoa, HEY!

You can't just breeze by with stuff like that!

Details! Details! We want the goods.

KTC
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Speaking of which.

How's the foot, Kevin?

I'm having my short story torn to pieces which is now a good thing. Though I'm having those doubts I can change it from a so-so piece into something marketable.

Where's one of those HOL get togethers when you need one?

Like it never happened. Thanks for asking.

sassandgroove
09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi House-

Kristie -I am excited for you. I know the week before my wedding I reached a point where all I could do was wait, I had done everything I could do.

Maryn-Sorry about your elbow. Are you supposed to move it at all? When I broke my elbow, he wanted me to take my splint off daily and move it so it wouldn't atrophy.

Maryn
09-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Morning, all.

Clarifying: I'm allowed to move the elbow, which has been injured since early June. But the doc said every time I do something that makes it hurt, I'm undoing whatever healing it's done, and when I do something that really hurts, I may even be doing additional damage. The sling is more a reminder than a need, since I seem incapable of remembering not to lift the coffee pot or gallon of milk, grab the grocery bag, load the ream of paper into the printer, etc. with my dominant hand.

The two-weeks'-rest-plus-drugs is the least invasive of the treatments. If it doesn't work, I have the option of physical therapy or multiple steroid injections, and if they don't work, possibly surgical repair.

Meanwhile, though, with this much painkiller floating in my bloodstream, all of a typical day's aches and pains are gone, in addition to the elbow pain being greatly reduced.

Maryn, wondering if she can click her heels without it hurting her back

Komnena
09-16-2009, 06:13 PM
You have my sympathy, Maryn.

Maryn
09-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Ahh, the end of the work day approaches. How's everybody holding up?

Maryn, doing okay

Perle_Rare
09-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Not too bad, thanks for asking! :)

Hi everyone! I haven't posted much but I haveve been lurking. I hope all people with illnesses and ailments are feeling better today.

I'm planning to finally start writing a new story tonight. It's been floating around in my head but for some reason, I just haven't been able to get started on it. Spider Solitaire has already stolen many hours of my time which I'd planned to dedicate to this story. I can't tolerate this any longer! :) I figure that if I make a public announcement, I just might have to live up to it and get going! Right?

Then again, I might just be fooling myself... *sigh* Wouldn't be the first time...

sassandgroove
09-17-2009, 02:01 AM
HI!

Maryn- get well soon. I remember the thing that got me when I hurt my elbow and it was in a sling, is how many people TOUCHED my arm when asking what happened. WTF! Obviously it HURTS! So don't touch it!! DUH.

Hi Perle, nice to hear from you. Good luck with your story.

I have been listening to Orson Scott Card books in the Ender Verse on audio book in my car and I am left feeling I will never be as good a writer and why bother. But then - that's not his fault. Nor does it mean I shouldn't bother and I am probably selling myself short.

In other news, my new boss told the student forming a film club here on campus that I went to film school and now this student wants me to come talk to the group about my experience. Again I think I am probably selling myself short because he came and met with me and I didn't think I had much to offer but he asked me questions, and lo and behold, I had answers. :) So I guess I will go to talk to his group. Hey, it's comp time, right? :)

sassandgroove
09-17-2009, 02:41 PM
WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Komnena
09-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Yawn.Stretch.

Maryn
09-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Is it morning? [Sees daylight.] Oh. Yeah, it is.

Maryn, who's actually been up for hours

Elincoln
09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
What? No tea? *Mumbles about the room service*

I'm up. I'm up.

Maryn
09-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Teapot's on the warming tray. I made the black cherry this morning. Careful, it's a little sweet on its own--don't add too much sugar.

We entered our annual back-and-forth this morning. When should we turn on the heat? Mornings are getting cold enough that it's hard to get out of bed, and undressing to take a shower is an act of courage--and getting out of the warm water, just plain foolhardy.

Maryn, chilly at the moment

sassandgroove
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
It's been raining here, dailey, I guess to contrast the drought last year. it's getting old.

Rain + heat=humidity. BAH!

Elincoln
09-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Ah, yes. I had to wear my jacket this morning to um...clean the back yard. I actually love sleeping in this type of weather, except for the need to be up at 5am. Weekends are a dream.

For us it's not the actual act of turning on the heat that we hesistate on. Before we do, the furnace chimney needs to be cleared out and we have to bleed all the radiators.

Elaine, who has those on her ToDo next week.

Komnena
09-18-2009, 07:28 AM
The geese are going south. Fall is definitely at hand.

sassandgroove
09-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I am jealous of you northerners. I am so ready for sweater weather.

Elincoln
09-18-2009, 02:38 PM
You can always come up to visit, Sass.

Morning HOLers. How's everyone on this nice (but chilly) Friday?

Elaine, waiting patiently for the colors to turn.

tjwriter
09-18-2009, 02:48 PM
It's not that cold here yet, but the big cool down is coming next week, I believe. I love Fall.

Maryn
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
We've got the start of color here, just a dash or red or yellow in a green visual field, like a single limb of a single tree per acre. Last night, we closed the windows for sleeping; the nights are getting chilly.

Man, I love fall. I really do. I just wish I had a reason for a Halloween costume.

Maryn, who likes to play dress-up

Elincoln
09-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Princess woke up this morning asking when do we start making Pumpkin Pie.

"It's getting close to Easter, right?"

"We make pie for Thanksgiving, dear."

"So is Easter coming up or Thanksgiving."

"Thanksgiving, after Halloween."

"Can we make pie for Halloween?"

Got to love kids.

Maryn
09-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, can we make pie for Halloween? Damn it, we've got to know!

Maryn, who thinks pumpkin or pecan is perfectly apt

Komnena
09-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I hold with the let them eat cake instead philosophy myself. Or better yet cookies.

Elincoln
09-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, can we make pie for Halloween? Damn it, we've got to know!

Maryn, who thinks pumpkin or pecan is perfectly apt

I hold with the let them eat cake instead philosophy myself. Or better yet cookies.

With friends like this...who needs a diet?

tjwriter
09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
It's about time to make the Crumble Top Pumpkin Muffins that I so adore. There are the best ever. Perfect fall breakfast. Even my husband eats them.

Maryn
09-18-2009, 10:34 PM
tj, is this a recipe you'd share? Sounds wonderful, and I've had a can of pumpkin languishing in my cupboard for a while now.

Maryn, hopeful

KTC
09-18-2009, 10:36 PM
ooh. that sounds great. i love anything pumpkin.

hello house.

cray
09-18-2009, 10:39 PM
*puts a pumpkin costume on quickwit*

sassandgroove
09-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Ack! Is that the great bumpkin?

heh heh

tjwriter
09-19-2009, 12:49 AM
I've shared it before, but here it is again:

http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Crumble-Top-Pumpkin-Muffins.aspx?recipeid=32389

Be sure not to overcook them or they won't be as tasty. I watch them very closely at the end. They are pretty dense, but filling and good for a cool Fall or Winter morning.

sassandgroove
09-19-2009, 06:01 PM
We usually put Leela in the kitchen at night, that's where her crate is. Last night we forgot to put the gate up and she came in to wake us up this morning. It was quite the treat. ANd she didn't chew anything or wake us up until morning. I am considering doing it like that from now on.

I need to try those muffins.

Maryn
09-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Hello. I'm back from our 5 miles, although today we went a little long. It's just perfect weather for it, mid-sixties and sunny, although we were in the woods part of the time, no sun getting through. We passed fields of unharvested corn, the stalks far taller than we are. What's up with planting it, then leaving it there?

Maryn, not a farm girl

Cassiopeia
09-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Hello. I'm back from our 5 miles, although today we went a little long. It's just perfect weather for it, mid-sixties and sunny, although we were in the woods part of the time, no sun getting through. We passed fields of unharvested corn, the stalks far taller than we are. What's up with planting it, then leaving it there?

Maryn, not a farm girlToo busy harvesting other crops and probably will be back mid-October to plow it all under for the winter. :)

Kim, who spent her summers on the farm in eastern So. Dak and has an ex-hubby who grew up on a dairy farm and she herself is an avid gardener---though not in recent years.

kristie911
09-20-2009, 04:48 AM
7 days and counting until I again become a Mrs.

What the heck was I thinking? The stress is starting to creep in...

I'll be relaxing in the hot tub for a bit.

sassandgroove
09-20-2009, 06:53 AM
I got all my hair cut off today. I should take a picture to show you. The woman put it a pony tail and cut it off like that. She said there is enough I could donate it.

KTC
09-20-2009, 07:05 AM
7 days and counting until I again become a Mrs.

What the heck was I thinking? The stress is starting to creep in...

I'll be relaxing in the hot tub for a bit.

You'll be fine. In 8 days you'll wonder what you stressed over.

kristie911
09-20-2009, 01:59 PM
No, in 8 days we'll go from stress to sheer panic over what I've done! :)

sassandgroove
09-20-2009, 05:39 PM
I didn't. The day after I was relieved. We slept late, had breakfast at the hotel with family, came home with all our gifts, ate pizza and cake and left for our honeymoon. The wedding was surreal, but that day was the first day of our life together.

Turns out I can't donate my hair- I had bleached part of it to add highlights and they can't use bleached hair. :(

Komnena
09-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Sass,what cause were you donating your hair too?

sassandgroove
09-20-2009, 06:09 PM
locks of love.

rhymegirl
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I got all my hair cut off today. I should take a picture to show you. The woman put it a pony tail and cut it off like that. She said there is enough I could donate it.

I did that too, Sass. And it almost made me cry to part with my long hair. The hairdresser cut it shorter than I wanted her to. Apparently she and I have a different idea of what shoulder-length means.

I'd love to see a pic of your new hairdo.

PS My daughter donated her hair to Locks of Love and she has colored her hair before.

Maryn
09-20-2009, 11:59 PM
They won't take mine. Silver threads are a no-no.

Funny, because so many of the people who need a wig because of chemo had plenty of silver when they still had hair.

Oh, well. Guess I'll keep it.

Yeah, Sassy, share a pic.

Maryn, who just put bread into the oven

Komnena
09-21-2009, 01:41 AM
There's a tornado warning across the river in TJ's turf.

sassandgroove
09-21-2009, 03:34 AM
They won't take mine. Silver threads are a no-no.

Funny, because so many of the people who need a wig because of chemo had plenty of silver when they still had hair.

Oh, well. Guess I'll keep it.

Yeah, Sassy, share a pic.

Maryn, who just put bread into the ovenYep- when my mom was sick and her hair was thinning, she bought a wig with gray silver in it.

I'll have to get Mr. Groove to take a pic.

Mr. Groove and his pal are having a Supernatural marathon today. First season. out friend has never seen it before and you can't exactly start in the fifth season.

Stay safe TJ.

Maryn
09-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Good morning, everybody.

We did something unusual for us. After an early dinner for a dismayingly early curtain at the theatre, we walked out on the play during intermission. This play was on Broadway, with the same cast? Astonishing. One-joke, one-note, intended to be funny but not. (The play was "Souvenir," the true story of a wealthy tone-deaf woman who sang--horrifically--before New York's high society in the 1930s, as told by her long-time accompanist.)

Maryn, wishing she could select the plays

tjwriter
09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
There's a tornado warning across the river in TJ's turf.

Yep- when my mom was sick and her hair was thinning, she bought a wig with gray silver in it.

I'll have to get Mr. Groove to take a pic.

Mr. Groove and his pal are having a Supernatural marathon today. First season. out friend has never seen it before and you can't exactly start in the fifth season.

Stay safe TJ.

Thanks, guys. I didn't even know about it. It may not have been close enough to us. We live in a weird little spot where most of the tornadoes hop across the river and land on the other side. This is the Wabash, btw. Of course, with these blowing up from the south, the trajectory could have been totally different.

Our weather's all sorts of wacky right now.

Elincoln
09-21-2009, 06:03 PM
This play was on Broadway, with the same cast?

Don't be so shocked. Broadway will do anything if the money is right. They're making a Spider-man Musical right now.

Elaine, loves the comic but will NOT see the theater version.

KTC
09-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh Maryn...that's too bad. I don't go to a lot of plays, so I haven't really acquired a taste yet. I'm still at the 'it's all so fabulous!' stage. I hope I don't see any lemons this season!

sassandgroove
09-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi all.

Sorry about the dud play.

I am having a dud day. Storm last night. Hubs got up to stay with the dog. woke up at 4 he was still out there. I figure to wake him up to come to bed at that point was useless. I usually get up at 430ish, but I'd wake him, so i slept in unitl 520 which is early for him, but he still didn't get out the door until his normal time, and by the time I ate breakfast it was too late to walk the doggie, never mind it was raining. THEN I left 5 or so minutes late, but got to work a half an hour late. BAH! No discernable reason other than sheer volume of traffic. BAH.

Grrarrgh
09-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Morning, all. Mr. Grr and I went to the Columbus Zoo this weekend. It was a perfect day for it; 70-ish and sunny.
Sass - I definitely want to see a pic of your hair! I'm so close to being able to donate mine, but I don't know if I can keep waiting. It's so long and heavy right now as it is.
Supernatural marathon sounds great - I love that show!!! I was just lamenting to Mr. Grr that I don't have any of it on DVD. I hope he takes the hint for our anniversary next month. :)

Have a great day, everyone!!

Elincoln
09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your day, Sass. I know, traffic has a mind of its own sometimes.

I went to the Dentist this morning. Nothing major. One of my fillings broke and I needed him to fill it. So now I'm back working with half a jaw numb and realizing that maybe I should have eaten an early lunch before the appointment. If I try now, I'll just do damage.

It's been so nice around here. 70ish and sunny. They say the hi's in the 80s for the week. Making up for a bum summer, I guess.

*Knocks on wood*

Komnena
09-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry about the tooth,Elincoln.

sassandgroove
09-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Lesson for the day:

Tent cards without something taped inside colapse after one lunch in the college cafeteria.

Cassiopeia
09-21-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm having a rather peaceful day, though I have to get my butt into gear and finish this paper and get two chapters read in speech communications so I can post my thoughts and take a quiz by tomorrow.

I'm so unmotivated this semester. My thoughts wander and I'm randomly wondering about all sorts of things. I guess now that some of the pressures been lifted off of me, I want to relax and do nothing but I can't do that. LOL.

Oh and on more positive news, I've lost 13 pounds for my first month of changing my dietary habits. I wish I could say it's made a huge difference in how I feel physically and in some ways it has but I've quite a ways to go still.

But I'll take the 13 pounds gone and keep on going.

KTC
09-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Help! I lost my 13lb baby!

See...it's all a matter of perspective. (-;

CONGRATS!

Cassiopeia
09-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Help! I lost my 13lb baby!

See...it's all a matter of perspective. (-;

CONGRATS!LOL...oh thank goodness it wasn't that. dork. It was HARD work I tell you! HARD WORK! :-p~~

Maryn
09-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Up and at 'em, Housekins. New day.

Maryn, glad of that

sassandgroove
09-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Hola!

Sass- who was up and at 'em but wrote instead of interwebbed.

tjwriter
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Good for you, Sass!

Elonna
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM
That's what happens when I disappear...people move and they don't leave a forwarding address.

So, am I considered a stalker because I hunted you all down and found the new place?

sassandgroove
09-22-2009, 06:48 PM
If you are then that's the best kind of stalker! :)

Elonna
09-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Aww, thanks sass :Hug2:

NeuroFizz
09-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Kicked to the curb,
downhill of everything
but the gutter,
would it have been better
to have seen the foot
coming?

or better off
having caught the blow
blind?

Cassiopeia
09-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Kicked to the curb,
downhill of everything
but the gutter,
would it have been better
to have seen the foot
coming?

or better off
having caught the blow
blind?:Hug2: Miss you :)

sassandgroove
09-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Fizzy

Grrarrgh
09-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Elonna!!! We've missed you!

Maryn
09-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Who're all these strangers? And what can we bring them to drink?

Maryn, snapping her towel at the imaginary towel boy

KTC
09-23-2009, 12:18 AM
So, am I considered a stalker because I hunted you all down and found the new place?

Yes. But welcome anyway. (-;

Elincoln
09-23-2009, 02:19 PM
*plops down a bag of bagels and a caraf of coffee.*

Yeah! The gang's almost here.

Morning people. Yesterday, I went kayaking with some friends around the Meadowlands. I have to say it was the best trip yet. It's very close to home and there's so many places to explore. Not to mention seeing the Empire State Building at a new angle. Will definitely consider that place for solo trips.

Also, I saw Ray yesterday. Remember that GE Commercial he was in? It's been on the last few days. Yesterday, I couldn't help it. My friend asked why I was grinning so much.

Maryn
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Oh, it's not airing here yet. Second highest property taxes in the nation, and late to get Ray-Ray? This place sucks.

Maryn, who's content here

Maryn
09-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure I should be sharing this, but I heard from our old friend Truman Coyote the other day via PM. He lives! (And Chinese wine is not to his liking.) I wish he'd get his cute self back here and entertain us all.

Maryn, thinking only of herself, as usual

Elonna
09-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I've seen Ray's commercial too...but wasn't sure that was Ray...hehe.

Grrarrgh
09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I guess I'll have to actually keep an eye on the commercials as I fast-forward through them looking for Ray.

sassandgroove
09-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi House.

Maryn
09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm back from the car repair place. Funny how long a free oil change takes. Back when I paid for them, they were faster, but when we bought this car, one of the incentives was free oil changes as long as we own the vehicle.

Anyway, not much happening here today. I seem uninspired to write, and the troublesome elbow precludes a lot of other things I might ordinarily do. (It took me nearly 45 minutes to change the bed--one-handed.) Golly-gee, maybe I'll have to read my new book!

Maryn, trying to get into it since Kid Two's girlfriend recommended it

Cassiopeia
09-24-2009, 12:36 AM
I went out and had my eyes examined then didn't like their stock of new frames so took my prescription and found new frames at another place. I was told I could get bifocals so I don't have to take my glasses off to read and do up close things but man when they explained to me about how progressive lenses work, I took a pass.

Kim, prepared to take her glasses off for some time to come.

Grrarrgh
09-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi, all. So today is the 18th time ever I've tried to donate blood and the first time it's ever been iron-y enough. Woo! Donating now.

Elincoln
09-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Morning people.

*proceeds to setup morning spread of coffee, tea, cereal and muffins*

Just passing through. Wanted to :hi:and give a :Hug2:.

Now I have get back to work.

Elaine, in a smilie mood.:D

sassandgroove
09-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Ironically I am usually fine and had low iron on Tues. BAH. I think it is a certain time of the month that is the problem so I should be mindful of the calendar.

I'm considering NaNo. ACK!

Maryn
09-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I gave five gallons and decided that was enough. I have crappy veins and it was a bit of an ordeal most times, with multiple needle-sticks.

BTW, I propose we get back to discussing the next HOL get-together. What did we say, Spring 2010? By 'spring,' what month do we mean? For a time, I was seeking lodges, cabins, cottages, and such, but I never found one that might really accommodate the likely number of attendees and which could be rented by the night or by the weekend. (I did find some awesome lodges, though.)

Once Kristie's marriage to-do is over and she's had some time to settle in, the planning committee will be back on the job.

So, know what's funny? I buy easily 75% of my clothes used, at thrift shops, but today I gave serious consideration to a $325 hat. It was so cool!

Maryn, who needs her own satin top-hat

tjwriter
09-24-2009, 06:06 PM
I would love to come to a get-together, but I don't know if I will be able to. If you guys want to come back down to this sometime, Harmonie State Park has some wonderful cabins that I believe are not that expensive.

sassandgroove
09-24-2009, 08:04 PM
My thoughts for the moment...Well since I work at a school now- spring to me means May or June (which is summer.)

Commmencement is on May 16, so May 21 would be good, but May 30 would be a holiday weekend which is good and bad, good with built in day off, bad for travel b/c everyone else is off too. And i actually already have plans for June 24-26 2010.

I do love the cabin idea though.

Cassiopeia
09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Checking in. Very busy. So tired I can't properly focus but I'm pushing through anyway.

I wonder if it's the fall weather. I just want to play.

KTC
09-24-2009, 10:32 PM
damn. another year where i can't participate in the get together. le sigh. one day. i'm already over budget on travel this year. if anybody is in Ontario May 1st, though...there's a great conference taking place. (-;

Cassiopeia
09-24-2009, 10:43 PM
damn. another year where i can't participate in the get together. le sigh. one day. i'm already over budget on travel this year. if anybody is in Ontario May 1st, though...there's a great conference taking place. (-;
yes, I was just thinking, my trip to the conference excludes me from meeting up with Hol'ers again this year.

KTC
09-24-2009, 10:48 PM
well...you'll meet up with ONE of us. (-;

Cassiopeia
09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
well...you'll meet up with ONE of us. (-;oops, silly me...that's true, that is! or wait, I wonder if I can just hide in the crowd and not have to worry about it. ;-)

just kidding!

NeuroFizz
09-24-2009, 11:02 PM
A Spring get-together will be a wonderful attitude adjuster for me. And it's not like my calendar will be clogged...

Cassiopeia
09-24-2009, 11:07 PM
A Spring get-together will be a wonderful attitude adjuster for me. And it's not like my calendar will be clogged...oh man, sweetie, I wish I could be there. :Hug2:

Sending good energy and thoughts your way.

Cassiopeia
09-24-2009, 11:59 PM
You know, maybe I'm just in a bitchy mood because I have a lot on my plate at the moment, but I am soooooooooooooooo sick of customer service phone reps who all they do is apologize over and over again for the inconvenience they're company has caused. Now, I don't need to be placated. All I want is solutions and continuing to say I'm sorry to me over and over again, sets me off. (and don't let me get started on how that fake American accent isn't fooling ANYBODY!)

I've got steam coming out of my ears I'm so fed up.

Perle_Rare
09-25-2009, 12:07 AM
oops, silly me...that's true, that is! or wait, I wonder if I can just hide in the crowd and not have to worry about it. ;-)

just kidding!

Hi Cass! I'm planning to go to Kevin's conference. It's on my calendar already. Will you hide from me too?

kayleamay
09-25-2009, 12:21 AM
You know, maybe I'm must in a bitchy mood because I have a lot on my plate at the moment, but I am soooooooooooooooo sick of customer service phone reps who all they do is apologize over and over again for the inconvenience they're company has caused. Now, I don't need to be placated. All I want is solutions and continuing to say I'm sorry to me over and over again, sets me off. (and don't let me get started on how that fake American accent isn't fooling ANYBODY!)

I've got steam coming out of my ears I'm so fed up.

:ROFL::roll::ROFL::roll:

Cassiopeia
09-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Cass! I'm planning to go to Kevin's conference. It's on my calendar already. Will you hide from me too?I was just teasing Kevin. I wouldn't hide but I won't stand on a chair shouting out for people either. ;)

Maryn
09-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Kevin, can you afford a car trip south of the border and a shared room? The general areas under consideration seem to be fairly near me (on the other side of the lake), or fairly hear Kristie (in Michigan).

Right now I'm leaning toward my area, simply because for once I won't have to fly anywhere. (Poor Sassy, has to fly every year--but maybe this year Mr. Groove will keep her company.) But nothing is set in stone, or even mud.

While we're chit-chatting about it, I'm thinking I'd like to find either a cluster of cabins, each of which sleeps at least two, or four in two bedrooms, or a lodge with either cabins or a low-end motel nearby. Other than travel expenses, this could be the least expensive option, since we could easily cook for ourselves and bring our own beverages. Sound good?

Maryn, thinking she should seek a lodge that sleeps eight, two to a room

Elincoln
09-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Ouch. We're going to be away the last week of May/first week of June so the end of Spring is not looking good.

KTC
09-25-2009, 05:53 AM
Hi Cass! I'm planning to go to Kevin's conference. It's on my calendar already. Will you hide from me too?

WOOHOO! That would be fabulous! There would be a mini-HOL get together!

(-;

Cassiopeia
09-25-2009, 05:57 AM
WOOHOO! That would be fabulous! There would be a mini-HOL get together!

(-;Drat! And here I thought I could just slip in and out of the back door. :D

KTC
09-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Kevin, can you afford a car trip south of the border and a shared room? The general areas under consideration seem to be fairly near me (on the other side of the lake), or fairly hear Kristie (in Michigan).

Right now I'm leaning toward my area, simply because for once I won't have to fly anywhere. (Poor Sassy, has to fly every year--but maybe this year Mr. Groove will keep her company.) But nothing is set in stone, or even mud.

While we're chit-chatting about it, I'm thinking I'd like to find either a cluster of cabins, each of which sleeps at least two, or four in two bedrooms, or a lodge with either cabins or a low-end motel nearby. Other than travel expenses, this could be the least expensive option, since we could easily cook for ourselves and bring our own beverages. Sound good?

Maryn, thinking she should seek a lodge that sleeps eight, two to a room

Wish I could, Maryn...but the Africa trip swelled in more ways than one. It began with Nairobi and Lamu...now I've added Maasai Mara. I'm taking 8 flights and traveling around for 3 weeks. I can't afford another getaway. I will try again next year, though...for sure.

Maryn
09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm gonna hold you to that, Kevin. Else we're camping in your yard. (Can I come inside to use the bathroom?)

Maryn, expecting special privileges

KTC
09-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Sure thing, Maryn. I'll leave a tin can on the back of the toilet for your quarters.

Kevin, who loves the sound of rattling coins in the morning...or any other time of day, for that matter. (-;

Maryn
09-26-2009, 12:12 AM
My, a quiet day here today. Nice to have to hot tub to myself; it's only in the 50s here. Not that I'd object if a towel boy happened by, perhaps with a mug of hard cider, it being autumn and all.

Maryn, whose writing group met today

Cassiopeia
09-26-2009, 12:26 AM
*hands Maryn a pint of hard cider*

It's been a productive day so far. I've registered my new business, gotten the domain for the site, and set up an email account for it and communicated with my web designer.

Now, I'm studying communications but having a teeny weeny bit of trouble focusing as my mind wants to get work done but this is a part of it.

I wonder if I should just start buying my text books on CD so I can clean house and listen at the same time.

LOL

oneblindmouse
09-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Hi, House. I'm glad to have found you all again, though things are falling apart in my life and I'm incapable of writing or even coherent thought. But I need the sanity (?), or should I say camaraderie of this thread and the entire forum. Will probably lurk more than write, but it's good to watch you people. Just soaking in the hot tub is therapeutic.

sassandgroove
09-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Sorry your life is falling apart. HUGS.

Mr. Groove and I are going on a date! :)

kristie911
09-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Tomorrow is the big day!!

Am I supposed to be nervous? Because I'm not. Just ready to get it all over with...it's been a lot of work! :)

Miss you guys! Don't go planning a get together without me! Okay, you can plan it, but I'd better be invited! :D

Cassiopeia
09-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Tomorrow is the big day!!

Am I supposed to be nervous? Because I'm not. Just ready to get it all over with...it's been a lot of work! :)

Miss you guys! Don't go planning a get together without me! Okay, you can plan it, but I'd better be invited! :DHave a fabulous day tomorrow! :Hug2:

KTC
09-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Have a blast, KristY!

Congrats!

sassandgroove
09-26-2009, 06:52 AM
YAY Kristie. post pictures please.:D

Perle_Rare
09-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Kistie: Now that all the work is finally done, enjoy your special day and make sure to tell us all about it! :)

tjwriter
09-26-2009, 04:17 PM
WOOHOO, WEDDING DAY!

Maryn
09-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Have a nice day, Kristie!

Maryn, kind of a low-key person

Maryn
09-26-2009, 05:42 PM
OneBlindMouse, I'm sorry to hear things are sucktacular. In here, everything's always pretty pleasant, so do come by as often as you need to.

Remember, you don't have to say much to post. A simple "Hi," a weather report, or a list of things you have to do today seems to be okay. (I kind of doubt anybody cares what day I grocery shop, but I announce it often.)

We watched baseball last night. I wish all sports, all of them, had a season of three months, beginning to end, with playoffs and championships decided in a fourth month or less. (Two weeks sounds good to me.) Baseball now lasts more than six months of the year, which is way too freakin' long. I mean, the players were wearing turtlenecks last night--doesn't that level of chill tell you the Boys of Summer should get inside?

Maryn, not a true fan, and unashamed of it

sassandgroove
09-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Exactly. It is time for FOOTBALL!!

part of what I like about this thread is the everyday conversations like going grocery shopping. Besides you always offer to bring us something.

Mr. Groove took me on a date last night. :) We were going to go to the football game at the college where I work today but it is storming. :( We are discussing getting me a netbook because Mr. Groove has been using the laptop a lot lately so a net book would keep me from taking it from him. But he also wants a Wii. I pointed out to him if we got a netbook we couldn't get a Wii and also I do still have my old laptop. I may try to reinstall windows on it and use it for writing while he is on this laptop.

In other news I really like my new job. My bosses appreciate me and show it. How refreshing.

Sass- thinking good thoughts for Kristie today.

ETA:

I was thinking. The difference between our dates now and our dates when we were courting is that we went to wal-mart after dinner one evening to walk off being tipsy, now our date ends at walmart to buy toilet paper and aleve. :)

Cassiopeia
09-26-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm off to get my roots coloured and I've just finished an hour long conversation with my web designer. Jeez, I have to say, I'm so lucky that people are being introduced into my path as I need them. This lady is one heck of a gal. She knows her stuff and my success will be greatly attributed to her input and flair for graphic and web design. Bonus: She's a writer too.

Man, I'm feeling blessed today.

Right, so I'm off. You all have a fabulous day.

Elincoln
09-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Afternoon People.

I just finished have PSE&G (Electric & Gas company) troop through my house most of the morning. They're replacing piping along the street.

Not too serious, but Hubby did get a shock when he tried to shower and found no hot water. :o

Princess and I have been out to the local park to play. Now I'm trying to get her settled down.

Just came in to say hi.

oneblindmouse
09-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Hope you had a totally FAB day, Kristie!

Thanks, Maryn & Sass. I'll probably be visiting the hot tub now more than ever before, as I'm in dire need of some TLC. I can always provide lots of red wine, and some homemade orange aquavit, but keep the towel boy out of my sight, as I'm in a serious man-hating mood!

Maryn
09-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Mouse, that's when you snap your towel most sharply at his shapely derriere, which stings. Our towel boys are only too happy represent all men, when we want 'em to, anyway. (Although some of them seem to enjoy the sting...)

Maryn, glad you came back so quick--hey, don't forget to subscribe to the new thread

oneblindmouse
09-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Today brought the first rain, so I decided not to go for a walk on the beach. But it's still not cold.

Cassiopeia
09-27-2009, 03:31 AM
Hey Mouse, you don't have to provide anything but your sparkling personality and even on days when you feel a bit dimly lit, we are happy to have you.

I'm reminded of this song. Where everybody knows your name. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRGh2NEjSU&feature=related)

oneblindmouse
09-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey Mouse, you don't have to provide anything but your sparkling personality and even on days when you feel a bit dimly lit, we are happy to have you.

I'm reminded of this song. Where everybody knows your name. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRGh2NEjSU&feature=related)

Thanks, Cass. I'll go get a rag and rub up some of that sparkle, as I've become all tarnished!

Cassiopeia
09-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks, Cass. I'll go get a rag and rub up some of that sparkle, as I've become all tarnished!It might take a bit of time, but things do get better. Life seems to be like that. Good times, bad times...good times.

sassandgroove
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
OBM-sending you good vibes. HUGS

Cassi- glad things are going well for you.

I dug out my old laptop. I couldn't find the system disk to reinstall it but I think it'll be ok to just write on as is. I forgot how nice the keyboard is. It's a Thinkpad, and the keyboard is smooth. THis one I always hit the wrong keys to backspace or do control V or something.

Of course just now I didn't. Go figure.

Hope you all are well. Yesterday I did a lot of napping. Today I hope to get a few things done.

Sass- who thinks napping is good.

Maryn
09-27-2009, 06:28 PM
OMG, we may not have to walk today. It's freakin' pouring. We're telling ourselves we could go late in the day, if this passes, but I bet we blow it off.

I really need to get back in the habit of going on my own, though. Somehow the day gets away from me far too often.

Maryn, working on her skills with a lasso so she can carpe diem

sassandgroove
09-27-2009, 07:30 PM
I signed up for NaNo. I am insane.

Maryn
09-27-2009, 10:58 PM
We went to the apple farm in the rain, which meant More For Us! Since I got muddy right out of the gate, stepping in a puddle, I let The Kid boost herself up on my thigh to pick the real high ones. (I sure miss Kid Two--and his awesome reach!) So now we have a whole lot of macintoshes and quite a few honeycrisps as well. I think I might try to make an apple bread this week. If it comes out good, I'll bring in a loaf warm from the oven.

Sassy, you're brave, crazy, and inspiring.

Maryn, realizing that Kristie is married

Cassiopeia
09-27-2009, 11:12 PM
We went to the apple farm in the rain, which meant More For Us! Since I got muddy right out of the gate, stepping in a puddle, I let The Kid boost herself up on my thigh to pick the real high ones. (I sure miss Kid Two--and his awesome reach!) So now we have a whole lot of macintoshes and quite a few honeycrisps as well. I think I might try to make an apple bread this week. If it comes out good, I'll bring in a loaf warm from the oven.

Sassy, you're brave, crazy, and inspiring.

Maryn, realizing that Kristie is marriedAhhh, reminds me of the good ole days when I had a small orchard and I used to press and make REAL apple juice. Nothing better than Fall if you ask me. Not that you have but, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

:D

Maryn
09-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I adore Fall. Best time of year. Since it's chilly and we don't have the furnace on yet, last night we had a fire. Loved it.

Well, until it was time to go to bed, where the sheets were so cold, anyway.

Maryn, who needs to dig out the flannel nightwear

Elincoln
09-27-2009, 11:31 PM
It's pouring, which means no gardening today. (Not good. I need to start planting bulbs).

I've been slowly cleaning out junk, room by room. Today is my office/guest room which is where we everything. I got four piles: Garbage, Donation, Storage, Stays. The stay and storage pile aren't very big, but the donation bin is overflowing. I am so happy.

Sass > You're crazy, but in a good way.

Cass & Maryn > The nearest farm around here is a good hour away. I'm planning on taking Princess next weekend for pumpkin/apple picking. Please don't tempt me with treats.

Kristie > CONGRATULATIONS! It's now over and the real fun begins. (But you already know that.);)

Mouse > You won't find a better place to find solace. Big Hugs!

And for our lurking boys.

FREE BEER!

tjwriter
09-28-2009, 12:04 AM
OMG, Maryn Honeycrisps are divine, but they are so expensive here. I love those freakin' apples.

sassandgroove
09-28-2009, 12:30 AM
It's still in the 80's here. I'm envious of your fall weather. I wish I could have gone with you to the apple orchard. Sounds like a nice day.

But I did write today. So far 1500 words. I'm trying to see if I can manage NaNo. I figure I have 9 days where I can really concentrate on it and my normal writing time during the week. So I'll have to do 4000 or 5000 words a day on the 9 days.

I should go. We don't have food in our house.

Maryn
09-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Mr. Maryn is cooking out tonight. Which ought to be interesting, since it stopped raining but has started up again. Anyway, plenty of chicken for tonight and enough for another meal, too.

Maryn, who must go make the sides

Cassiopeia
09-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Uggg. I ate taco bell and had a frapaccino from starbucks today. I feel sick. I did stick to the no wheat rule but bleck. I prefer my own food to this.

I need to figure out how to make FAST food from scratch at home.

Komnena
09-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Morning, House.
Hope you're feeling better, Cass.
Sass,good luck at NaNo.

Maryn
09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi, everybody. We're expecting high winds today, enough that we took down the wind chimes before they beat the hell out of the siding (which we had replaced in that spot when we got the house painted).

Which means I should get out and walk sooner rather than later. Funny, you don't see me going yet...

Maryn, lazy

Perle_Rare
09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Good Morning, House!

Ditto on the weather, Maryn. I've bunkered down and I thought I'd peek in before getting started on work.

Hi everyone! :)

Maryn
09-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Since the wind hadn't kicked up yet, I thought I'd get a work-out in before it arrived. I went to the place where I walk for exercise. By the time I arrived, it had started to rain, hard, so I turned around and came home again.

Maryn, who'd so much rather walk outside than on the treadmill

Komnena
09-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I just resumed culling books. I inherited my uncle's books and have just started sorting through them.

kristie911
09-28-2009, 11:45 PM
I did it! I got married. Sorry I haven't been here to post pics but I promise to tonight while I'm at work.

I gave you a little pic teaser though and changed my avatar. It's a pic of my new hubby, and I dancing with my son.

It was a fantastic wedding and we had a great night (I mean the reception, not the wedding night! You pervs!) I wish you all could have been there to celebrate with us! :)

tjwriter
09-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Congrats! I'm glad you're so happy!

Cassiopeia
09-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Congratulations, Kristie! :)

KTC
09-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Congrats, KristY! Great avi pic.

sassandgroove
09-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Yay for Kristie!!!!