Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some bath salts I had hidden.
It's a grey, rainy day. I did the minimum walk I'm supposed to do. I bought a second pair of smaller clothes. I have my doubts that all this diet and exercise is really going to take the pounds off but I have hopes.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, House. Another rainy day. Maybe I'll be able to walk between raindrops.
Thanks for the encouragement, Sass. I'm hoping to be in those smaller clothes by the time I have to go back to the doctor.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Komnena, I'm a walker, too, and I've come to like walking in rain and snow more than I like walking on a pleasant, sunny day. Nobody's around, and the silence and aloneness while outdoors is really nice. Even though my typical day isn't all that stressful, I come home positively mellow.

For me, finding a great place to walk helped a lot. A paved or graveled trail that's fairly level, with no vehicular traffic, lets your mind wander all over the place. I've planned entire novels on a series of walks, although I did have to pull my thoughts back to the matter at hand a dozen times each walk.

I also enjoy watching the seasons change, walking the same few sections of the trail over and over. (I take along the camera several times a year.)

Add music to push you, or sooth you, whatever the day's needs are, if you like. I used to need music, but now I save it for the days I do not want to do this at all. Then it's like an added enticement.

Acquire the clothing that lets you go out in any weather. Start with shoes, then pants or tights and/or shorts, shirts and sweatshirts you can layer, jackets, hats for cold or sun or both, gloves, etc. I got a lot of mine at thrift stores or the very cheapest sweats at discount stores, since it doesn't matter what I look like. A good windbreaker is vital, and too big keeps you warmer.

Keep track of what you wear at what temperatures and conditions. I started with a reminder to myself that at 43 degrees, with sun and no wind, I was good in a T-shirt, hoodie, and pants, but if it was 43, windy, and cloudy, I was better with a T-shirt, sweatshirt, windbreaker, and pants. That expanded into a one-page list that goes from 25 degrees up to the mid-60s. Warmer, it's always as little clothing as possible, without scaring the horses.

If he's willing, rope Mr. Komnena (whose name I remember, but I wasn't sure I should use without asking) into going with you once or twice a week without fail. Mr. Maryn and I go together on weekends, and the other person's expectations makes us far more likely to do it.

See you on the trail?

Maryn, thinking she's well enough to go today

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow- I haven't had a good walk since I broke my toe. This makes me want to get back out. I am never so detailed about the clothing though. I usually wear a hoodie until I need shorts, and end up with it tied around my waist if I get hot. If it is really cold i wear two hoodies, gloves and a scarf. or a hoodie under a coat. I did decide once that 8 degrees was too cold. Even my dog seemed happy to go in.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Maryn.
Exercise is part of my diabetes treatment. I'm supposed to walk at least thirty minutes a day. I've got a favorite pair of jeans I wear and varying t-shirts. I tend to overheat so I find that a t-shirt,windbreaker and cap serve me well. I usually get my t-shirts at a thrift store which sells them for a dollar.
Mr. Komnena walks with me on weekends.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'm thinking of taking up swimming at the start of the year. The YMCA is just up the street from my workplace and the swimming pool is open for lap swimming at 5am. My mom has agreed to let me bring the kids early a couple of days a week to do it. I need some that's not going to stress my hip while I get back in the exercising groove.

Then if I 30 minutes of weights at lunch 2-3 times a week, I think I'd be in pretty good shape.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Swimming is a lot of fun. I might get back into it someday.
I think tonight I will have the spinach pancakes and a sweet potato. The pancakes have eighty calories apiece and no sugar. They're actually rather tasty despite that. They'll be a regular part of my diet from now on.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Flour. Baking powder, too, I betcha.

Maryn, smarty pants

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
The pancake ingredients are spinach,potatoes,egg whites,oatbran,expeller pressed canola oil,arrowroot,salt,all natural vegetable gum,garlic and black pepper. Brand name is Dr. Praeger's.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Up-and-at-'em, Houseketeers!

Maryn, who should be out the door but is instead in her snowman jammies

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The pancake ingredients are spinach,potatoes,egg whites,oatbran,expeller pressed canola oil,arrowroot,salt,all natural vegetable gum,garlic and black pepper. Brand name is Dr. Praeger's.
Oh- I assumed you were making them from scratch. You didn't have to list the ingredients. Thanks though. :)

Alright alright, I walked my dog today. after the initial lethargy, yawning, not wanting to be outside in the cold, yada yada, I sort of woke up and enjoyed it.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, House!

Just stealing a few minutes from work to report in. Haven't been able to lurk even a tenth as much as I normally do since I started this new job.

The job? I love it! The people are great, the work is challenging and interesting, and the environment is casual and friendly. The only complaint is that the commute is a bit long (almost 1.5 hours from door to door morning an night) but I do get a solid 40 minutes each way where I can do something useful like study for certification (which is what I'm currently doing), read (which I'd love to do) or even write (which is my ultimate goal)!

Once I've passed that first certification exam, I'd be up for that month-long writing challenge Maryn was proposing before I start studying for the next one. I haven't written anything in months! I miss it!

Perle

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Hello, House!

Just stealing a few minutes from work to report in. Haven't been able to lurk even a tenth as much as I normally do since I started this new job.

The job? I love it! The people are great, the work is challenging and interesting, and the environment is casual and friendly. The only complaint is that the commute is a bit long (almost 1.5 hours from door to door morning an night) but I do get a solid 40 minutes each way where I can do something useful like study for certification (which is what I'm currently doing), read (which I'd love to do) or even write (which is my ultimate goal)!

Once I've passed that first certification exam, I'd be up for that month-long writing challenge Maryn was proposing before I start studying for the next one. I haven't written anything in months! I miss it!

Perle
Hey Perle, what certification are you studying for?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Perle, I'm so glad things turned out as good as we hoped they would. Can I uncross my fingers now?

I forget, did we set a month? Or maybe it depended on when KTC returns? I was thinking January or February.

Maryn, trying to eat a salad and type, and making a mess of it

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, trying to eat a salad and type, and making a mess of it
Your typing looks great, though I cannot speak to the state of your keyboard or salad.
:D

As far as I know, we never set a date on the monster month (that's what I call it when I have a huge word count goal, then I get The Monster Mash, stuck in my head for about an hour).

Let me know what you all decide and I'll see if I can hang with the real writers.

:D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody know Kevin's travel schedule? I feel the need to rope him securely into this.

Maryn, not usually into bondage

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, HOLers. Santa just bought a gift for Little Fizzy, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one. It's a unicycle. LF didn't ask for one, Santa just had a brain fart and decided to let LF have a good challenge. LF is really good on a RipStick, which is a skateboard morph that instead of four wheels, has two full-swivel casters (one front and one rear). Since LF's balance is so good on that death trap, I thought Santa might want to give him another one.

So...I tried the unicycle in the hall of my workplace, and it's really hard. I'll take LF out on the lawn and hold him in place to see if he can get his equilibrium on it. If anyone has experience on a unicycle and can offer tips, please provide in detail. It'll be fun to watch how the little guy responds to the challenge. I'll have him helmeted and probably wrapped in bubble wrap...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How old is he? I've never mastered one, or tried to, and the few people I've know who did were all at least in the upper part of junior high or older. However, I didn't know anybody who tried any younger.

But if he's graceful and can handle a four-directional skateboard, it seems possible. (And seriously cool, in an isn't-that-weird-and-amazing way.)

Knee, elbow, and wrist pads plus a helmet and maybe some kind of hip-ass protection, and he'll feel no fear. Hell, I might even try it, with all that.

Or not.

Maryn, who knows she is not graceful--physically, anyway

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Little Fizzy is 9 years old and very motivated by unusual challenges like this. Hopefully this won't be too frustrating. He mastered the RipStick by just doing it (over and over again). I want to cultivate that attitude and action in the little guy. He is so proud of himself for his conquest, and that can go a long way in developing a positive self-attitude and personal confidence.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hey ho, house...Yes, Maryn...20 days from now I'm leaving. Are you guys talking about the get together? I won't be able to make it again this year. )-; I'm in Kenya for most of December and I'm in Cozumel for about 10 days in March...that's my travel funds tapped out for the year. Le sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.