Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, HOL. It's me again. The Writing Erotica board here at AW is hosting a Halloween-themed writing contest.I wanted to invite you all to the view the contest entries if you like that sort of thing--and to ignore them if you don't.

Requirements for the stories, up to 3,000 words, are that each include a shiny black car, rain, and candles. Writers were urged to make entries scary in addition to making them erotic.

Links to the stories are posted, without authors’ names, at Share Your Work - Erotica. Voting via poll at SYW - Erotica will open Monday, October 26 and close at midnight Thursday, October 30.

Only those with access to this adults-only board can read entries and vote. You do not need to be a participant at Writing Erotica, or even a reader of erotica beyond the contest entries, to choose a favorite.

Not everyone at this board will have any interest, of course, but if you do, contact veinglory or ELMontague, the Erotica board’s moderators, saying you are an adult and asking for the SYW password. (Warning: it’s case-sensitive.)

Maryn, who hopes to see some of you there

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I bet they look good, though. There's something very appealing about a good manicure and pedicure, isn't there? It's one of the pamperings I permit myself when I'm feeling blue.

Right now I have a manicure-pedicure "issue" that I'm waiting to grow out. I suspect I know which product* caused several of my nails to lift from the nail bed (ow!), but damn it, Halloween is approaching. I want to paint my nails black, but I don't dare until the damage has grown out completely. The worst one is down to less than a quarter-inch detached, so soon, but not soon enough.

At least I've been able to live in athletic shoes. If I had to dress for work, my tootsies would be in deep trouble.

Maryn, wondering what color your nails are

*Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" polishes have been implicated
SH-Hard as Nails? Really? Have you contacted them to see if anyone else had that problem or to report it?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, I haven't. But it seemed really weird. I put on a coat of clear, and within 24 hours it was peeling off and bubbling. I took it off fully with a non-acetone remover. One pinky, which it turned out would become the worst, got sore at the nail bed at that point.

But I also cleaned like a crazy person for some houseguests, so it's possible some cleaning product, or just too many hours with wet hands, did it.

Maryn, still finding weird stuff in closets where she hid clutter

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
No, I haven't. But it seemed really weird. I put on a coat of clear, and within 24 hours it was peeling off and bubbling. I took it off fully with a non-acetone remover. One pinky, which it turned out would become the worst, got sore at the nail bed at that point.

But I also cleaned like a crazy person for some houseguests, so it's possible some cleaning product, or just too many hours with wet hands, did it.

Maryn, still finding weird stuff in closets where she hid clutter
I wouldn't think the wet hands for hours would do it. But that sounds very scary, Maryn. That's worrisome.

It's very disturbing to me that it got worse when you took it off.

ETA: I wonder if the cleaning you did got some sort of fungus trapped under the nails and lifted it?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who knows? So long as the new growth is attached, I'm okay. But I think I'll keep them super-moisturized, short, and unpainted for a while, until I'm sure everything's okay.

My research revealed all kinds of causes. Certain kinds of chemo make not just your hair fall out but your nails fall off, and they don't always grow back. Sheesh. Some antibiotics produce this in some people. Fungi are common. Liver problems (which I have, but not real bad) and leprosy were among the culprit diseases.

Maryn, counting toesies and nosies to make sure she's not a leper

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Luckily, you have us to prop you up and make you smile.

Being Superwoman is indeed exhausting. I simply don't have that kind of energy any more. But hey, at least I'm not a leper. Yet.

Maryn, looking at the bright side

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm overwhelmed sometimes too, Kim. I have to tell you---man, you're not going to like this---that the best way for me to rebuild my defenses against the overwhelmingness of life is to take my girl for a walk at the conservation area. Walking in the woods with a dog recharges the batteries like nothing else.

Maybe for you, since a dog is out of the question for now, is meditation. It also recharges.

Kevin, who loves being recharged before facing the hellacious world at large.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good suggestion from Kevin. There's definitely something about getting outdoors and away from pavement, buildings, and such. The thinks that seem important and therefore make a person crazy fade in priority when you're outdoors.

Maryn, not especially outdoorsy

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Luckily, you have us to prop you up and make you smile.

Being Superwoman is indeed exhausting. I simply don't have that kind of energy any more. But hey, at least I'm not a leper. Yet.

Maryn, looking at the bright side
You are superwoman to me, Maryn. *hugs*

I'm overwhelmed sometimes too, Kim. I have to tell you---man, you're not going to like this---that the best way for me to rebuild my defenses against the overwhelmingness of life is to take my girl for a walk at the conservation area. Walking in the woods with a dog recharges the batteries like nothing else.

Maybe for you, since a dog is out of the question for now, is meditation. It also recharges.

Kevin, who loves being recharged before facing the hellacious world at large.
*hugs*

Do you guys have any idea how grateful I am to you that I can come complain and know that you won't trivialize my complaint? Kevin, you out do me by a long shot.

I wish I could have a dog. I miss my Chancy (Irish Setter) She always knew when I was struggling and would lay right up against me until it passed. My cats have been like that too and now I don't have any loving furballs to snuggle with and talk to.

But it will get better. I'm sure it will. I just have to stop thinking about it and just get on with it.

And to Fizzy, who gave me such a wonderful rep. I wish you'd come share with us. My heart goes out to you in your struggles.

Just so you guys know, you do keep me going so much of the time. I love you all to the moon and beyond. And THAT's a lot.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Kim (((hugs))), I'm sorry sweetie. And it is nice that we can just come here when life knock us down and let down our guard and have others either help us to our feet or just keep us company while we decide to just stay down and rest while we're there.

<edited because I was being a party pooper. . .and it's too early for that> :D

Morning all!

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Damn. I missed SG's party pooping.

Kim...Maryn made a great point. You can so enjoy the outdoors without a dog. Just being out there makes one feel better. It's national (or maybe HOL) take a walk outside day...get out there and enjoy.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad we don't live closer, Kim. There is the most beautiful walking trail about five minutes (driving time) from my house. The trail is especially spectacular now that it is fall. It is just so peaceful. I really hope to go there tomorrow.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
That would be so much fun, SG. I'd love that. *hugs*

I spent about an hour looking through the local classifieds for a dog tonight. But I know I'd have to pick a particular breed with my allergies and I want what I want. I want a beautiful chocolate lab.

Mainly, need to keep getting better so I'm not continuing on towards the path of being a shut in.

Kim, who you really should ignore. She's having one hell of a pity party.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
We're not going to ignore you! Pity-party, pishaw! I feel bad because you're going through so much and I'm ranting like a mad woman in the other thread and you're trying to help me.

I love labs. I have a big goofy, always happy dog (not a lab though) and she does help. My two smaller dogs throw fits like I do, the little turds. :D

I want to be a shut in. I wish I could be, for today at least. Dang obligations. No one should have to be around me today. I shouldn't even have to be around me.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Party? I don't care what kind, I'm so there! Should I bring a cake, or a couple of bottles of wine? I'm thinking it's just a wee bit early for wine.

Actually, like a lot of shy people, I'm not a party person. My idea of a great time is a small gathering of people I know at least a little. Say up to a dozen people.

Hmm, that describes the HOL gatherings, does it not? We need to get going on that again. I can't believe how difficult it is to find a lodge or a cluster of cabins or cottages that rents by the night, in an area quite near one of the organizers. The owners of such places are not quite as organized as Comfort Inn. Go figure, huh?

Maryn, who found one--with no running water

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Party? I don't care what kind, I'm so there! Should I bring a cake, or a couple of bottles of wine? I'm thinking it's just a wee bit early for wine.

Actually, like a lot of shy people, I'm not a party person. My idea of a great time is a small gathering of people I know at least a little. Say up to a dozen people.

Hmm, that describes the HOL gatherings, does it not? We need to get going on that again. I can't believe how difficult it is to find a lodge or a cluster of cabins or cottages that rents by the night, in an area quite near one of the organizers. The owners of such places are not quite as organized as Comfort Inn. Go figure, huh?

Maryn, who found one--with no running water
You just bring your self to my pity party and that will be enough for me.

Kim, who now officially gives in and is in the depths of her woes and plans to soak in her jet tub and give the world the bird while she tells everyone to kiss off.

I'm just so pleasant aren't I?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of like me, actually. It may be too early for wine, but I'm thinking some gooey coffee cake cut with fresh-squeezed orange juice might be nice. Let's be careful not to let too much fall into the hot tub, or the snorkelers view will be impaired.

Maryn, ever-considerate

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
*comes out of water, gasping for air, trying to clear coffee cake out of snorkel tube* Okay Maryn, I think you did that one on purpose. Very naughty. As long as I can have a slice of cake, I can be extremely forgiving. :D

Well, what's a party, pity or otherwise, without a little tushy shaking going on? Luckily, Susie already covered that for us. :D
Juz to keep this thread on pg. 1, I'm :e2moon:in' all y'all. :D

Maryn, I'm like you. I don't actually like parties, big ones with loud music and lots of people I don't know. I'm not even that big on getting together often with friends and family. It's okay every once in a while, but mostly, I like to stay to myself.

Kim, it's okay to give in every once in a while. Everyone deserves a break, a time to stop fighting all the chaos and raise their white surrender flag (you know, the one with the words "I give up. You win. Now f*** off" painted on it.) I'm getting ready to hoist my flag to the world today too. I can only have it up for a few hours unfortunately. Then I have to take it down and carry on with those dang obligations.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just finished writing 1400+ words in my WIP. That actually helped a lot. And I didn't even have a character beat up another character or anything. I just got lost in their lives instead of mine for a little while. It was nice. I'm still keeping my flag up until noon, then I've got to face the world again.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God, it's after 2:00 here and I seem to be in my jammies! And I didn't even write!

Maryn, crafting a kick-ass costume on late request from The Kid

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hieveryone.

Ok So- we're having a Halloween Party.

I was going to go for practical with a costume and just wear black clothes and a witches hat.

But I talked Mr. Groove into letting me invite more people than last year. (He's like Maryn and SG as far as parties go.) We've heard a rumor that the fuddy duddiest of our invitees is coming in costume. Ahem. So Mr. Groove felt compelled to get a costume. He wasn't planning on one at all. Just a jack - o - lantern shirt.

So we go shopping for his costume. He wants to be a wizard and it dawns on us that hey, I was planning a witch- isn't that funny. While we're at the shop getting his wizard's robe I admire the striped panty hose and somehow that turns into me getting a more elaborate costume as well, and it turned into a whole day of finding stockings that a) fit and b) look witchy enough. I HOPE the ones we found fit. Who knows. I got back ups that won't be as cool but will work just in case. I am hopefully borrowing buckle shoes from my friend and now I am wearing a skirt, and we got a cape at K- Mart. How did this happen? ACK! We spent the whole day shopping instead of cleaning! My Aunt is coming FRIDAY. Though I've heard from my other Aunt that the Aunt and Uncle that are visiting are easy guests. (Sigh of relief).

Sorry about the stress you all. Hang in there. HUGS!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hello House. I think Canada is going insane today?

#1 - The Houses of Parliament were besieged today.

I listened to a recording on CBC Radio. People screaming about blood in the stairway. People chanting, "WHOSE HOUSE?" "OUR HOUSE!" Holy...goosebumps. Sounded bloody and ugly.

AND...the H1N1 debate is kicking into high gear around here too. It is being unrolled today...the first of the vaccines being issued. And everybody appears to be losing their minds.

Kevin, who drove casually through the craziness with his hazards on.

Status
Not open for further replies.