Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Either that or you'll be accepted and keel over from the shock.

Actually, this sounds more likely. Judging by my usual reaction. "Oh. Another rejection. Nice. Just what I expected." I'd probably have that thought in my head while reading an acceptance. Then, during the re-read, I'd keel over dead. As a doornail.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Morning! I'm in the best of moods this sunny morning as I started a new regime and went for an early hour-long fast walk along the beach reciting confidence-boosting affirmations, followed by a shopping spree for socks and knee-length jeans (which is a big deal for me, as I don't often manage to get out).

Now I'm seriously thinking about attacking my current writing assignment that has me flummoxed.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you in for a lovely day, mouse!

Enjoy it :)

Cella

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! But my serious writing plans will probably get undermined by the seductive attractions of AW, and not only those of our very own towel boy.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have to put a self-ban on AW if I plan on accomplishing anything. And anyone who knows me always sees that little green light on, so needless to say, I haven't gotten much done. :)

Good luck all the same.

I haven't met the towel boy yet.....

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Maryn snaps her towel, harder than she means to. (Or was it?)] Towel boy! Front and center!

They tend to drift off and write if we don't keep them in line.

Okay, this is freaky. My study is a corner room, with windows on two sides. An overgrown tree has limbs by both windows. There are no bird nests in the tree. But one, and only one, window attracts birds. They're not in the tree, which does not touch either window. Little birds, starlings I think, perch on the exterior sill or affix their little talons to the screen itself, plucking at it as they come and go. There is nothing unusual about this window, or this screen. What do they want? Why won't they leave me alone? They're there right now, playing that screen like a two-direction harp.

Maryn, unnerved

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
a new muse, perhaps?

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Wind? Sunlight?

Are the windows on the same wall or at different sides?

*scratches her head for a moment*

In the midsts of critiquing some stories for the SYW area, then maybe I'll get to finishing the latest post for my blog. Princess woke up with a cough, so I get the feeling that she's going to be kept home something this week. Better get as much work done while I can.

Elaine, trying hard to finish her todo list.

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
Welcome Cella and Rekirts!

October is insanely busy when I should have free time (ie weekends). How am I going to get ready for NaNo if my writing time is gobbled up by other stuff. Geesh.
/off soapbox

Hope everyone's week has started out well. I need to work and not procrastinate here lol

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, HOLers. Maryn fed me some wine so I'm feeling a little sociable for a change. I hope all is well with everyone. Soon I'll be back to my old self--snorkel and all, except it will have the governor removed...

Beware.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My state's governor is blind anyway. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Nice to see the wine had the desired effect. Also nice to see the kilt again. Let's see some knee!

Maryn, settling into the hot tub on a cold, windy, and wet morning

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Morning, House.

Picked up new van yesterday. Coolies. The dog barked at it. Le sigh.

My son won his first hockey game of the season! Whoot. 2 assists, too.

Okay... KISS is playing in my little town tonight. AND I'm not going! Ack. I can't believe it. We were supposed to be going to box seats with my wife's work...but they ended up not getting a box. Le sigh.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Don't mind me. I'll just sit in the tub and pretend my boss isn't trying to figure out if I fit within his organization or not. We discussed both our expectations today and he claimed he wanted to "sleep on it" before making a decision. As if I'm going to sleep tonight... after not sleeping last night anticipating said conversation.

I'm also not hungry. Only had half a breakfast and a handful of fish crackers all day. Don't anticipate being hungry for supper either...

*sigh*

I feel like I've totally messed up the best job I ever had...

Those rivulets streaming down my cheeks are just tub water. Honest.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Perle, I'm sorry! Have you considered letting the komodos loose in the office?

Maryn, who lover her minivan but is distracted by Perle's upset

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Sorry to hear about your anxiety, and your situation, Perle. I hope it resolves itself favourably for you.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Hello everyone.

Don't mind me. I'll just sit in the tub and pretend my boss isn't trying to figure out if I fit within his organization or not. We discussed both our expectations today and he claimed he wanted to "sleep on it" before making a decision. As if I'm going to sleep tonight... after not sleeping last night anticipating said conversation.

I'm also not hungry. Only had half a breakfast and a handful of fish crackers all day. Don't anticipate being hungry for supper either...

*sigh*

I feel like I've totally messed up the best job I ever had...

Those rivulets streaming down my cheeks are just tub water. Honest.
*grabs a towel and wipes said rivulets of tub water*

So let's get you ready for tomorrow. There are a few questions I would be asking. Such as:

What does he mean by "fitting within the organization"?
What expectations have you failed to meet?
Is he willing to train you more specifically?
Can you set goals together?

now..........

Have you ever had a warning this was coming? Have you been given any feedback prior to this discussion? How long have you been working there?

Let's talk. You may have more power over the situation than you think.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Sorry. I honestly didn't mean to depress everyone.

I've been working "there" for 5 years now. 3 as a contractor, 2 as a real employee. I say "there" because I've actually been working from home writing software on a part-time basis.

My boss has valid issues. However much I really want to fit within the organization (all 7 employees of it) I don't and I know it and I know that he's been aware of it. I'm not flexible enough (ie: I hate when we do things off-the-cuff rather than in a well-thought-out way) and I tend to thrive in a more structured environment. For example, I like to have a set of requirements and maybe even an idea of a design before I start coding. But that's not the way it really works in this company.

In other aspects, it's been the dream job: I got every school holiday off, summers included, and could work part-time while the kids were in school. And I was given neat projects to work on. There's nothing to beat that...

So anyway. Tomorrow will tell...

The only thing I know at this point is that the two things I dread most are:
1. Looking for a new job.
2. Staying at home, idle...though it would give me plenty of time to write...

Thank you all for your support... I really do appreciate it.

Why is it simpler to tell all you folk than to tell people around me? Apart from hubby and kids, I haven't told anyone yet...

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Why is it simpler to tell all you folk than to tell people around me? Apart from hubby and kids, I haven't told anyone yet...
Because technically we are strangers. For the most part you don't know us. I just say a diagram in my communications studies that shows people are more apt to tell complete strangers than those closest to us.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, everybody. Lots of bad juju around here lately. Which is why I will now sing and dance and tell funny stories to amuse us all.

Well, one out of three, and I didn't write it, just saved it when it went by in email a few eons back.

!!! BREAD IS DANGEROUS !!!

Research on bread indicates that:

1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.
2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.
3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.
4. More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.
5. Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!
6. Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.
7. Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.
8. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.
9. Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.
10. Newborn babies can choke on bread.
11. Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.
12. Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.

In light of these frightening statistics, it has been proposed that the following bread restrictions be made:

1. No sale of bread to minors.
2. A nationwide "Just Say No To Toast" campaign, complete celebrity TV spots and bumper stickers.
3. A 300 percent federal tax on all bread to pay for all the societal ills we might associate with bread.
4. No animal or human images, nor any primary colors (which may appeal to children) may be used to promote bread usage.
5. The establishment of "Bread-free" zones around schools.

Maryn, who made a good spinach-mushroom bread Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.