PDA

View Full Version : Where to hide money

Stijn Hommes
09-06-2009, 10:19 PM
In my current WIP I've run into a plot problem. The antagonist stole some money to avoid it being used to save a building from demolition. But the police is in the building, no one can go in and out and he obviously can't be caught with it. He also can't frame someone else because that would mean the money would be returned to the owner.

So, where would you hide money in an old theatre building when the police is turning the place inside out?

alleycat
09-06-2009, 10:32 PM
How bulky is the bag of money? About what size?

Stijn Hommes
09-06-2009, 10:38 PM
About the size of a small metal money box.

alleycat
09-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, I would avoid the obvious places . . . in the duct work, the toilet tank, in a chest in the prop room, in the trap door on the stage, etc.

If the theater has a concession (food) stand, I might think about hiding it in one of the food containers, say, under all the gummy bears. My second thought might be one of the light fixtures. Of course, the police are experts at hiding stuff, so I'd have to think a bit to find the least likely place to be searched thoroughly.

Sophia
09-06-2009, 10:57 PM
If the police will literally be searching everywhere, lifting up the floorboards and pulling out all the bricks, etc., then your only option might be to throw the box out of the window and retrieve it later.

benbradley
09-06-2009, 10:58 PM
"old theatre building" - does it have a pipe organ? If it dates back to silent films, it might. Stuff it in one of the big bass organ pipes. The "lip" should be just wide enough to put bills in, even if it would have to be taken apart later to get the money out. Of course, if that organ note gets played, the money will come flying out like confetti...:)

Cyia
09-06-2009, 11:04 PM
My great-grandfather had a great place for hiding cash.

If this is a really old theater, then the dressing rooms would have been equipped for men who used actual razor blades. There would be a small metal plate in the wall beside the mirror (or inside if it's an opening mirror like a medicine cabinet) with a slit just big enough to slip in a flat razor blade. It's flush with the wall and no one sees them unless they know they're there, but if you do know it's there, there's a small screw that releases the plate - inside it's got a receptacle for the disposed of blades. Open the plate, toss the money in, seal it up and walk away.

ManyAk
09-06-2009, 11:07 PM
What about this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXXf5rkCuvQ

BlueDimity
09-06-2009, 11:08 PM
In my current WIP I've run into a plot problem. The antagonist stole some money to avoid it being used to save a building from demolition. But the police is in the building, no one can go in and out and he obviously can't be caught with it. He also can't frame someone else because that would mean the money would be returned to the owner.

So, where would you hide money in an old theatre building when the police is turning the place inside out?

Interesting. I would hide my money either in my clothes, shoes, or I even read in a book that some people would melt candle wax, pour the wax over the folded money and then shallow it, but if you don't want your story heading in that direction, I'd go with the shoes.

Shakesbear
09-06-2009, 11:36 PM
In the old safe in the old ticket/box office. Or in the props store. Or under some manky greasepaint in a box that no one in their right mind would touch. Or in a stage light - a PAR type thing.

jst5150
09-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Create a prop and cleverly hide it inside the prop. Then, that could be a plot device -- that he has to come back to theater (during a peformance or something) to get the box out of the prop. Hilarity and chaos ensues.

Nivarion
09-07-2009, 12:12 AM
I would hide it inside one of the stage lights behind a teaser. They are burning out all the time and are massive, rather easy to get to. He would need to make sure to remove the bulb or unplug the light though, since they get hot enough to set stuff on fire.

Seriously, you have to wear gloves when changing the bulb because the oils from your skin can get so hot that it melts the glass on the side you touched it on.

He could also hide it on top of the counterbalance for the curtain. Since its almost always down, and has a weight set tall enough that you can't see the top of it when the curtain is up, it would make a good spot.

A lot of theaters have big I beams across the top of the lights area, you could hide it inside the beam just within reach of the catwalk.

Williebee
09-07-2009, 12:14 AM
in a chest in the prop room,

Actually, that's where I might just put it; in the prop room, with all the fake money they use on stage.

cbenoi1
09-07-2009, 05:26 AM
> About the size of a small metal money box.

Two holes on each side with electric cables running through it, stuck on the wall besides the main electric panel. Perfect if the box is painted the same metal grey color as the electric panel.

Anything electronic that can be disassembled, such as a console or computer. There is always a space between the mainboard and the back, and paper money won't cause a short circuit if inserted there. And people won't typically pry open something that's powered up for fear of getting a shock. And police officers are smart enough not to turn off and disassemble everything in sight, just in case it breaks pricey equipment.

Small stacks can be stuffed into the theater seats. Or pick one seat, disassemble it, remove the stuffing and put the box in it before putting it back together. Unless there is a show betweeen the hiding and the recoup of the money, it's difficult to spot unless each and every seat is closely examined; a logistical nightmare for police.

-cb

Stijn Hommes
09-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the great ideas people. There's only going to be the one show, so they've got the chance to roam free for at least a couple of minutes before they need to be worried about the police finding them.

It can't be thrown out the window, I'm using that as a possible red herring. Sorry :)

RJK
09-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Depending on how much time he has, he could go to the scenery department, and literally wallpaper the money to one of the scenes, then use real wallpaper over it.
If I read your post correctly, he just wants to keep the money from others, right?

Stijn Hommes
09-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Yes, you read that correctly.