PDA

View Full Version : Why did I get a reputation point?

coloneldax
09-05-2009, 02:55 AM
Hi there. I have two questions. Why did I get a reputation when asking about a "Writers Literary Agency"? Is it because these kinds of outfits send people into this forum to shill for them?..

Also, is there a way to see stats for older "Subscribed Threads"?

Daniel

Caramia
09-05-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm confused on your questions, so not sure my answers will suit. Rep points are just a way for other folks here to give you a nod when they like something you've said, usually. I'm totally clueless on the subscribed threads issue though, never used it. Good luck :)

Madisonwrites
09-05-2009, 03:56 AM
:hi:

cooeedownunder
09-05-2009, 05:35 AM
Welcome :hi:

shawkins
09-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Howdy!

regdog
09-06-2009, 09:27 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/hello.gif

Ruth2
09-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the party!

coloneldax
09-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Welcome to the party!

Thanks!

dpaterso
09-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Members send each other rep comments for all kinds of reasons -- sometimes to pass on information, sometimes to say thanks, other times just as friendly chatter and jokes. You can click on the member usernames to check out their posts and get a clearer picture of the person. I've never heard of shilling going on via rep comments, but if you think there's something suspicious going on, please PM (send a Private Message) to a moderator and report this.

I don't know the answer to your subscribed stats question -- actually I'm not sure what you mean.

-Derek

coloneldax
09-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Members send each other rep comments for all kinds of reasons -- sometimes to pass on information, sometimes to say thanks, other times just as friendly chatter and jokes. You can click on the member usernames to check out their posts and get a clearer picture of the person. I've never heard of shilling going on via rep comments, but if you think there's something suspicious going on, please PM (send a Private Message) to a moderator and report this.

I don't know the answer to your subscribed stats question -- actually I'm not sure what you mean.

-Derek

Thanks for the info, Derek.

I know no one was shilling via rep points, but I thought that maybe I got rep points for asking about "Writers Literary Agency" because of concern that I was shilling for them.. Anyways..

Daniel

Susie
09-07-2009, 04:26 AM
:welcome: to the cooler! It's super here!

Medievalist
09-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Hi there. I have two questions. Why did I get a reputation when asking about a "Writers Literary Agency"? Is it because these kinds of outfits send people into this forum to shill for them?..

Also, is there a way to see stats for older "Subscribed Threads"?

Daniel

Probably because someone thought you were asking a good question. You can see who gave you the point, and PM (personal message, in your CP) to ask why.

I very much doubt anyone is here to "shill." We ban people for that.

What do you mean by stats? If you subscribe to an extant thread you will only see notifications about new posts to that thread. All threads tell you how many posts there are in the thread, and how many times the thread has been viewed in a Web browser.

coloneldax
09-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Probably because someone thought you were asking a good question. You can see who gave you the point, and PM (personal message, in your CP) to ask why.

I very much doubt anyone is here to "shill." We ban people for that.

What do you mean by stats? If you subscribe to an extant thread you will only see notifications about new posts to that thread. All threads tell you how many posts there are in the thread, and how many times the thread has been viewed in a Web browser.

Well, what happens is that "New Subscribed Threads" shows a "Replies" and a "View" column that "View all Subscribed Threads (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all)"does not show..
That was my question: Is there a way to see the "Replies" and the "View"column for all subscribed threads?..

Daniel

Wayne K
09-17-2009, 11:18 PM
He who has the most rep points when he dies, wins. I think Shakespeare wrote that :D

Welcome to AW.

tjwriter
09-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Well, what happens is that "New Subscribed Threads" shows a "Replies" and a "View" column that "View all Subscribed Threads (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all)"does not show..
That was my question: Is there a way to see the "Replies" and the "View"column for all subscribed threads?..

Daniel
The easiest way to do this that I know of is to either dig it up on whatever page it has fallen to in the forum where it exists or do a search on the thread title and you can see stats on your search results.

Since you have the exact thread title, a la your subscribed threads list, the seach should be pretty easy. Just input the information in the advanced seach and you could even narrow it to threads started by the owner of the thread you are searching on and it should pull up quickly for you.

coloneldax
09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
The easiest way to do this that I know of is to either dig it up on whatever page it has fallen to in the forum where it exists or do a search on the thread title and you can see stats on your search results.

Since you have the exact thread title, a la your subscribed threads list, the seach should be pretty easy. Just input the information in the advanced seach and you could even narrow it to threads started by the owner of the thread you are searching on and it should pull up quickly for you.

Thanks, tjwriter (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=232) I did a search and it works..
I can see "Replies" and "Views".

I only wish "View all Subscribed Threads (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all)" had "Replies" and "Views".
It seems like it might be a good feature to add that..
What do you think?..

Is there a board where I can suggest that?..

Daniel

dpaterso
09-17-2009, 11:43 PM
That was my question: Is there a way to see the "Replies" and the "View"column for all subscribed threads?
Doesn't look like it. Of course you can click on the little "Go to last post" arrow button to view the last post in the thread(s) to check if they've been updated since you last looked... or right-click and open link in a new tab window if you don't want to navigate away from your current window.

-Derek

coloneldax
09-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Doesn't look like it. Of course you can click on the little "Go to last post" arrow button to view the last post in the thread(s) to check if they've been updated since you last looked... or right-click and open link in a new tab window if you don't want to navigate away from your current window.

-Derek

Right, but wouldn't it be a good feature if you could see "Replies" and "Views" for all threads and not just the new ones?..

Daniel

TheIT
09-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Actually, you can see the Replies & Views count on subscribed threads without going to the thread. Hover your mouse pointer over the date/time in the "Last Posts" column of the thread you're interested in. A popup box will show you the Replies & Views count.

Medievalist
09-17-2009, 11:50 PM
There is no easy way to do that, now.

You can, in a number of ways, navigate to the forum where the thread in question lives. Essentially means backtracking from a thread to its forum, and to the page in the forum where the thread currently lives.

That is in fact a fairly major change to the vBulletin templates.

TheIT
09-17-2009, 11:55 PM

You can, in a number of ways, navigate to the forum where the thread in question lives. Essentially means backtracking from a thread to its forum, and to the page in the forum where the thread currently lives.

To do what? The recommendation I made about hovering the mouse pointer over the date field still works. I'm talking about doing this on the list of Subscribed Threads off the User CP.

coloneldax
09-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Actually, you can see the Replies & Views count on subscribed threads without going to the thread. Hover your mouse pointer over the date/time in the "Last Posts" column of the thread you're interested in. A popup box will show you the Replies & Views count.

Thanks, it works!

coloneldax
09-17-2009, 11:59 PM

Well, if the "New Subscribed Threads"already has those two columns, why would it be difficult to have those two columns under "View all Subscribed Threads"?..

Although TheIT (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=3858) is right, you can hover and get little white flag with the same info..

Daniel

Clifton Hill
09-19-2009, 02:02 AM
What exactly is "shilling" as referenced above. I don't quite get the context.